Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ground Zero City Generation + Combat Demo

LCJr.

Erudite
Deavile said:
We would love to make this standalone, but unfortunately that requires a D3 engine license, which last I checked ran for around $500,000. Of course if we find a free engine with all the capabilities of D3 we will happily switch to it.

Look on the brightside Id will probably cut loose the sourcecode in a few more years.

jlamb

Novice
Since it sounds like pure pipe dream, I'd like to re-iterate that the system is largely drawn out on paper, and these appear to be perfectly reasonable possibilities.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Deavile said:
We would love to make this standalone, but unfortunately that requires a D3 engine license, which last I checked ran for around $500,000. Of course if we find a free engine with all the capabilities of D3 we will happily switch to it.

Geez, that much for a 3 year old engine still? You'd think they'd come down a bit with time. Doesn't Valve offer a pretty reasonable deal if you use Steam for distibution?

Deavile

Novice
Based on ID's website they want $250,000 up top plus 5% of sales for the quake 3 engine, though this information looks like it hasn't been updated for awhile now. Doom3 is still id's top of the line engine so I think 500,000 sounds about right, but that is just a guess.

LCJr.

Erudite
Sourcecode for Quake 3:Arena was released 8/19/2005. So I'm assuming you mean Quake4?

Anyway just by putting out a techdemo you've accomplished more than 90%+ of the indie/amateur gamemakers. I've added it to my "check every few months" list of games.

Human Shield

Augur
What are the abilities that makes Doom 3 so great? There are lots of engines out there. I think even Irrlicht on the low end can import Doom 3 model files with animations.

Run all the engine calls in the code through custom libraries, this way you can write all game code but keep it somewhat engine independent.

Deavile

Novice
We chose the Doom3 engine primarily because lighting in the engine does not need to be pre-compiled, as it does with engines like Valve's Source. Our environment creation system is all handled in game or during map load, so a compiled lighting engine would not work with it (or not well). In addition, the physics engine was created by ID, and it's source code is included in the SDK. There are certainly other engines out there that have the same capabilities, but so far we have been very happy with Doom3.

P.S.
The Doom3 SDK already has a good interface to the render engine, meaning it would be fairly easy to move the game to another engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom