Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gothic 3 trashed at GameSpy - 1.5/5

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"dropped the pausing, e.g. Aurora Engine"

Huh? Have you ever played an Aurora Engine game? They all have pausing. From NWN1 to NWN2. The only one that might not is the Witcher. You make up shit.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Let's explain this with a snippet of code!

Code:
if(Bribed(GOTHIC_3) == false)
{
    return SUCKS_ASS;
}
else
{
   return ROCKS_THE_WORLD;
}

Commander

Novice
Game reviewers by the very nature of the business cannot be objective. They exist there only to create positive publicity for various kinds of games they are paid to and lackluster publicity for the games they are not paid for

In order to survive, and to eat, this is what they must do. They have no other source of income. Until they diversify or start charging their readers for reviews, they will forever be tied, enslaved even lol, to the game developers to put their food on the table in exchange for favorable reviews

Crichton

Prophet
The game's story -- such as it is -- is a boringly generic fantasy tale badly told through atrocious dialogue and voiceovers that run the gamut from acceptable to truly dire.
For all the good elements in quest and world design, even here the game manages to screw up. Supporting one side or the other will eventually piss off the other side so badly that their strongholds will attack you on sight. That's fine except that in order to complete the main story, players must acquire certain items and complete certain quests from both sides. Since there's no way to go back after falling into one faction's bad graces, it's entirely possible to be unable to complete the game just by playing the game as designed!

You can fight your way in and take the items by force, can't you? Too complex for you, Allen?

I don't know what version the "reviewer" was playing and as far as I know this was all fixed by patch 1.2. But in earlier patches, when you liberated a town, if you hadn't killed the leaders, they'd run off. Not run off as in 'run to the nearest friendly town', run off as in disappear into the void taking their plot items with them. This was really comical when a purely good chosen one would become "the chosen one of innos" and be told to bring back the staff of the king of the evil <del>haradrim</del>, <del>arabs</del>, <del>ragheads</del>, hashishashar.....(something)-im (Zuben?). If Zuben had run off when the capital fell, the player was S.O.L. The same thing could happen with orc leaders running off and taking 'adanos artifacts' with them.

Not a big deal if you read through spoilers and knew that you had absolutely couldn't let the leader escape when liberating a town, but the gamespy guy doesn't sound like he did a whole lot of reading. (I try to avoid reading spoilers on my first playthrough as well, but I make an exception when the forums have stickies with titles like "What to do to avoid breaking the game".)

Crichton

Prophet
Actually, while that was a problem, in your particular example... Zuben never flees, as far as I'm aware. I replied my attack on his capital a few times because it was awesome, and he was always just sitting on his throne by himself when I liberated them.

I'd have to look up the patch log to find out which version fixed the Zuben fleeing thing, do you remember which version you were playing? I never had it happen to me, so I can't confirm it. People on the jowood boards used to complain about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom