Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Wargames

Annonchinil

Scholar
Just trying to get back into wargaming and it mostly came down to these few games.

-Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets
-Airborne Assault: Conquest of the Agean

While I read the reviews I am just curious to hear what people think about these two games.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
I dont know what is better but
Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets is hefty 35 €. Buy it and share it with me. Please?

mlc82

Scholar
Although the subject matter doesn't interest me in the slightest bit (and so I've never bought it), I've heard near universal praise of Conquest of the Aegean. You probably wouldn't go wrong with it.

Though you didn't mention them, HPS Simulation's Squad Battles games are really fun as well, though they're on a smaller scale than the games you mentioned.

Mad_Dog

Liturgist
Combat Mission is my fave. The 3D allows it to show and do some cool stuff you can't see in traditional wargame. Try the demos.

HPS Squad Battles are fun as well, especially PBEM.

All the Steel Panthers games are free (from Matrix Games and Shrapnel Games) and they have a big community.

Go to http://www.theblitz.org/ to set up some PBEM for pretty much any wargame available.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What you exactly mean by wargame? Defining a genre by these two games strikes me as rather odd.

sheek

Arbiter
Which HPS Squad Battles games have actual campaigns? Many of them only have stand-alone scenarios, and Winter War which I demo'ed didn't seem to track casualties and mission progression was completely linear (if you fail a scenario you try again).

Annonchinil

Scholar
Thanks for the input, even though I don't have the biggest interest int he setting I ordered AA:CotA.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
If you can wait a little you could get Battles for the Bulge from the same developer. Arjuna has written that the game is now definitely no more than 2-3 months from release.

mlc82

Scholar
The Squad Battles games that do have campaigns are pretty crappy campaigns, I think it was just Vietnam and Tour of Duty, and they were just linear small scenarios tacked together. I just play them for the scenarios themselves and a little bit of PBEM, they're well worth the price for the scenarios alone IMO.

That said, a "Campaign Series" style campaign with the squad battles engine would be like a dream come true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom