Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's not worth 60 euros at all. I played it on PS4, and it's floaty and bloated. Think Farcry, but medieval Japan.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kurosawa Mode sounds kinda interesting. Sacrifice beautiful color graphics to relive The Seven Samurai or Ran?

If I play it in Kurosawa Mode, I will say things random angry sounding things in Japanese spontaneously.
The problem is that the game is a couple of centuries off in terms of time setting.

Sibelius

Novice
Kurosawa Mode sounds kinda interesting. Sacrifice beautiful color graphics to relive The Seven Samurai or Ran?

If I play it in Kurosawa Mode, I will say things random angry sounding things in Japanese spontaneously.
I played in Kurosawa mode on PS5 with the minimal HUD/HUD off, it is very atmospheric and immersive if you enjoy the old samurai films. I also played the Lethality difficulty mode where you (and the enemies) die in a couple of hits, it was a great experience. Yeah it does feel a bit like a UBI open world game, but if you ignore the crap side content it can be a lot of fun. Only has one woke plot line where one of your older female acquaintances reminisces about an old lesbian lover she was repressed from seeing because she had to get married or something.

Seeing as I have already bought it for PS5, I will likely pirate it on PC and play in colour when I'm ready for a 2nd playthrough. The normal non-Kurosawa mode colours look absolutely beautiful, I just couldn't resist the Kurosawa mode for 1st playthrough.

Ran is in colour btw, it was made in 1985, it's probably my favourite Kurosawa movie.

Side note, I am actually playing Assassins Creed Valhalla at the moment (when I need a break from Rogue Trader), and the combat in Ghost of Tsushima is much, much better. That's not to say Valhalla doesn't have it's strengths, the normal Far Cry style 'Destroy 10 enemy bases' quest does not exist (they exist in Tsushima). XP is built up by raiding villages to get resources for your own settlement and there are no quests to track it apart from a generic 'Build up your settlement' quest. Strong woman warriors and black Vikings aside, that kind of raiding villages gameplay feels very natural and unforced in a Viking conquest setting, I am genuinely shocked to be enjoying it as much as I am. I play with no HUD whatsoever, so that helps a lot, I wouldn't even consider of playing the game if it didn't have so many options to minimise the user interface.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

The problem is that the game is a couple of centuries off in terms of time setting.
Yeah the devs deliberately made the armor period-inappropriate to meet the expectations of what most people believe samurai should look like. There is at least one set of "old" armor you can acquire that does look a bit goofy. :P

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I played in Kurosawa mode on PS5 with the minimal HUD/HUD off, it is very atmospheric and immersive if you enjoy the old samurai films. I also played the Lethality difficulty mode where you (and the enemies) die in a couple of hits, it was a great experience. Yeah it does feel a bit like a UBI open world game, but if you ignore the crap side content it can be a lot of fun. Only has one woke plot line where one of your older female acquaintances reminisces about an old lesbian lover she was repressed from seeing because she had to get married or something.

Seeing as I have already bought it for PS5, I will likely pirate it on PC and play in colour when I'm ready for a 2nd playthrough. The normal non-Kurosawa mode colours look absolutely beautiful, I just couldn't resist the Kurosawa mode for 1st playthrough.

Ran is in colour btw, it was made in 1985, it's probably my favourite Kurosawa movie.

Side note, I am actually playing Assassins Creed Valhalla at the moment (when I need a break from Rogue Trader), and the combat in Ghost of Tsushima is much, much better. That's not to say Valhalla doesn't have it's strengths, the normal Far Cry style 'Destroy 10 enemy bases' quest does not exist (they exist in Tsushima). XP is built up by raiding villages to get resources for your own settlement and there are no quests to track it apart from a generic 'Build up your settlement' quest. Strong woman warriors and black Vikings aside, that kind of raiding villages gameplay feels very natural and unforced in a Viking conquest setting, I am genuinely shocked to be enjoying it as much as I am. I play with no HUD whatsoever, so that helps a lot, I wouldn't even consider of playing the game if it didn't have so many options to minimise the user interface.
Valhalla looks pretty damn nice too. England might be the most stereotypical setting there is, but man it looks so right.

VerSacrum

Educated
I don't get the hype. From youtube videos it looks like your typical AAA popamole Ubisoft game.
From what I understand the internal mechanics aren't that different but unlike Ubi games Tsushima is not utterly soulless.
About sums up my experience with it. I enjoyed it for what it is, it scratched that Samurai/Ninja theme itch but still burned out at some point as I do with most open world games that have very formulaic/repetitive design - clear mongol camp, rinse, repeat - as such I never finished it.
As for the Kurosawa mode, I think both could be called that because his later films are full of vivid yellows and reds and the game as well does that. It's quite pretty.
960x0.png

Modron

Arcane
Maybe just maybe when people say GoT in this thread they are talking about Ghost of Tsushima. Maybe.

Last edited:
Think Farcry, but medieval Japan.

Uh, if you want to see the real Farcry but medieval japan, check out Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Code Red, coming in the next year or so. It features 2 protagonists, a female samurai, and an African shinobi. :smug:

At least in Ghost of Tsushima, the Samurai is male and Japanese, as it was historically.

Ok so open world is typical Ubi shit. But is combat the same? Or does it at least have some of that japanese action gaming touch? Because I'm pretty sure I could enjoy shitty asscreed open worlds more if they at least had good action, but they are failure in that aspect as well.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok so open world is typical Ubi shit. But is combat the same? Or does it at least have some of that japanese action gaming touch? Because I'm pretty sure I could enjoy shitty asscreed open worlds more if they at least had good action, but they are failure in that aspect as well.
Better action but not by much.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I found it a bit floaty, but kinda cool at the same time. It's deadly and fast. However, stealth is OP.

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't get the hype. From youtube videos it looks like your typical AAA popamole Ubisoft game. But it looks beautiful they really put effort on that.
It kind of is, but I remember some controversy regarding the main character:
Been playing this and I see exactly why SJWs hate it. It has nothing to do with 'cultural appropriation,' that's just a red herring. This game not only depicts a classic paternalistic warrior culture, which the left already considers one of the worst things to ever have existed, but also romanticizes the ever living fuck out of it. This is a game where you go from chopping down Mongols left and right to writing haiku about the divine beauty of falling leaves while honoring your wise ancestors and praying at shrines. Jin Sakai isn't just a badass, he's deeply thoughtful and spiritual. His only moral quandary isn't whether to kill but whether to give his enemies a fighting chance against him. The violence being depicted is unquestionably justified. This is rarely done in media anymore. In all the Assassin's Creed games, there's the implicit assumption that your character is not a 'hero' or 'good' guy, so therefore is allowed to kill most anyone he feels like. Every Ubisoft Far Cry game is about the inherent amorality of violence and conflict. Elder Scrolls, nuFallout, and Dragon Age are all highly nihilistic, generally viewing no one as truly good. We aren't accustomed to seeing warrior heroes without a heavy layer of cynicism slathered on top of them.

KCD came kind of close with it's moral rulers and positive presentation of Christianity, but still often showed knights as either bullies or dunces while shying away from making the hero overtly religious. Paladins in fantasy literature have largely gone the same way, depicted as either naive fools or near-villainous zealots, far off from Three Hearts and Three Lions. The medieval romance has been a subject of mockery for centuries (re Cervantes) so it's almost impossible to find a depiction of knights and chivalry anymore that is anywhere close to idealized. The equivalent would be a game where you play as Roland swinging Durandal around chopping up muslims by the hundreds while piously praying to god and Jesus between every battle. Such a story would trigger every reviewer this side of the Atlantic.
Also, Japan.

本物の男性は、適切に調理されたチーズバーガーの美しさに思いを馳せながら、ブレードを研究します。

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, that's nonsense from someone who didn't play long enough. One of the themes of the story (and also the DLC) is "samurai culture is shit." It does the opposite of glorifying it.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I played this on PS4 and had a good enough time. The open world slop like outpost clearing does get old, and after a certain point I just made a beeline for story missions to get it done. If you just want a very pretty open world samurai sim where you cut dudes up with a katana, it's worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom