Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghost of Tsushima - open world game set in feudal Japan

Black Angel

Arcane
Yeah. I loved what I got with the base game, though that's my no expectation being in high gear since ever.

But Legends definitely far surpassed my expectation. The fact that they just gave it away is a steal.

Ash

Arcane
Does that require paying Sony the privilege to use online services? If so, they can eat a dick.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I am a console pleb and a weaboo so I actually get to play this, and I enjoy it well enough, probably more than Cyberpunk. Ironically this followed the path of the Witcher 3 better than Cyberpunk : it made side quests more narratively involved and unique, which was I suppose what they Witcher 3 did best (and Cyberpunk actually regressed on that front more or less). It's not all memorable or anything, but it all follows its aesthetic and theme in a very rigorous fashion, which makes it satisfying to me.

I'm playing the game exclusively on lethal difficulty, which as I understand it was added to the game later on. I can't say the game is ever easy even as my character progresses, I think it's pretty satisfying overall, even though you get too much tools and abilities (but you can restrain yourself using them, I assume, just like you don't want really want to be using magic against bosses in a Souls game).

Does that require paying Sony the privilege to use online services? If so, they can eat a dick.

You can play it solo, yeah, no need for ps plus. Not sure what kind of experience it is though.

I've been playing this on and off on the ps5 and I have to eat some crow - it's much better than I had expected and it's not a standard Ubishit open world game.

It runs at 60fps on the new console and looks great, with cohesive art direction that doesn't come across as forced. Combat is weighty and reasonably difficult on the last setting, and the missions themselves are much better than I had first anticipated. My only minor quibble is that although there is a Jap voiceover option, the lip sync was made for English dialogue, so it feels like watching a dub sometimes.

I only play it for like 1 hour at a time though, because it does get repetitive. Even so, it's not nearly as trivial as other popamole of the same type. Bought it for around 30 dollars, was worth it even if I don't finish it (I don't think I will as it's just simply too big and my attention span won't hold).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Been playing this and I see exactly why SJWs hate it. It has nothing to do with 'cultural appropriation,' that's just a red herring. This game not only depicts a classic paternalistic warrior culture, which the left already considers one of the worst things to ever have existed, but also romanticizes the ever living fuck out of it. This is a game where you go from chopping down Mongols left and right to writing haiku about the divine beauty of falling leaves while honoring your wise ancestors and praying at shrines. Jin Sakai isn't just a badass, he's deeply thoughtful and spiritual. His only moral quandary isn't whether to kill but whether to give his enemies a fighting chance against him. The violence being depicted is unquestionably justified. This is rarely done in media anymore. In all the Assassin's Creed games, there's the implicit assumption that your character is not a 'hero' or 'good' guy, so therefore is allowed to kill most anyone he feels like. Every Ubisoft Far Cry game is about the inherent amorality of violence and conflict. Elder Scrolls, nuFallout, and Dragon Age are all highly nihilistic, generally viewing no one as truly good. We aren't accustomed to seeing warrior heroes without a heavy layer of cynicism slathered on top of them.

KCD came kind of close with it's moral rulers and positive presentation of Christianity, but still often showed knights as either bullies or dunces while shying away from making the hero overtly religious. Paladins in fantasy literature have largely gone the same way, depicted as either naive fools or near-villainous zealots, far off from Three Hearts and Three Lions. The medieval romance has been a subject of mockery for centuries (re Cervantes) so it's almost impossible to find a depiction of knights and chivalry anymore that is anywhere close to idealized. The equivalent would be a game where you play as Roland swinging Durandal around chopping up muslims by the hundreds while piously praying to god and Jesus between every battle. Such a story would trigger every reviewer this side of the Atlantic.

Sounds like my kind of game, too bad i cannot into owning a console.

Jinn

Arcane
Sounds like my kind of game, too bad i cannot into owning a console.

Well, we're seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn come to PC, so it's maybe not a major long-shot that we'll see it on PC eventually. I'll definitely check it out if it does.

Silva

Arcane
Got this on an "Amazon Prime Day" sale here in HUE land, after so many pretigious codexers praised it.

So, any starting tips? Black Angel , Lyric Suite , Great Deceiver , fantadomat , Grampy_Bone ?

I understand game has it's share of flaws, which brings to my mind Nier Automata and the sound advice for noobs to NOT try to do all side content, or they die of boredom/repetition. Anything similar here?

ADL

Prophet
I haven't played it but I've heard you can disable the HUD and it's perfectly playable so I'd do that and also turn on Kurosawa Mode if you like that sort of thing.
Also this has been floating around today.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Hard is good although the real difficulty selector is how much you try to avoid using the OP ninja moves. There's no reason not to except your own pride.

It's a pretty straightforward game so there's not much to say. The side content is pretty balanced although a lot of it doesn't reward you with anything except cosmetics (like Haiku writing). Still it was always like a little treat when you could take a break from shiving bitches to just enjoy the beauty of nature.

Kill all mongols, get into epic duels, and shame your ancestors with your dishonoraburu tactics.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I understand game has it's share of flaws, which brings to my mind Nier Automata and the sound advice for noobs to NOT try to do all side content, or they die of boredom/repetition. Anything similar here?
Ghost of Tsushima doesn't really have any replayability, so I ended up completing more or less the entire content since it seemed unlikely I would ever return for a second playthrough. Unfortunately, some of that side content is rather repetitive, as for example it requires personally clearing the Mongols from every stronghold they're occupying. Moreover, once you've acquired a handful of key items and abilities, there isn't fundamental change to combat for the remainder of the game. On the plus side, it is an excellent fox-petting simulator:

m4oj76.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ghost of Tsushima doesn't really have any replayability, so I ended up completing more or less the entire content since it seemed unlikely I would ever return for a second playthrough. Unfortunately, some of that side content is rather repetitive, as for example it requires personally clearing the Mongols from every stronghold they're occupying. Moreover, once you've acquired a handful of key items and abilities, there isn't fundamental change to combat for the remainder of the game. On the plus side, it is an excellent fox-petting simulator:
Sounds like another game that could have been one third of its size and still feel complete. It's a sad tendency, but I guess they use the bloat to justify the price, which as we know is "the absolute minimum they can settle for before going bankrupt for making games for us spoiled gamers".

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sounds like another game that could have been one third of its size and still feel complete. It's a sad tendency, but I guess they use the bloat to justify the price, which as we know is "the absolute minimum they can settle for before going bankrupt for making games for us spoiled gamers".
I don't mind repetitive tasks in open-world games, you can't really create a big open world where every single piece of content is new and unique. But devs are clearly abusing that. Why make players take down 5 enemy fortresses, which would be acceptable, when we can make it 10? Why make him defeat 10 enemy champions when we can make that 20? And down the list it goes.

Silva

Arcane
I don't mind repetitive tasks in open-world games
My reasoning is - if there is no memory the activity leaves me with, why do it?
Not every activity in a game needs to be memorable, though. Some exist for the challenge, others to sustain the world's simulation, etc.

I don't remember every ocasion I entered anomalies in STALKER to find artifacts, but oh boy do I dread that shit because it's so tense. The "memory" that stayed was the burn in my skin, the smell of sulphur, and the BIP BIP BIP on my Veles detector.

So I don't need to remember any single moment of fox petting from Tsushima. Only the glimpses of first sunlight in the horizon, a fox comfly resting nearby, a flute tune, and thoughts on the ephemeral nature of life on my mind.

Storyfags want "memories". Manly Men want experiences.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lay off the edge. The game is linear storyfag stuff, isn't it? To reiterate, what I'm arguing is that the game doesn't need 30 identical dungeons if the player gets the idea after the 10th.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Lay off the edge. The game is linear storyfag stuff, isn't it? To reiterate, what I'm arguing is that the game doesn't need 30 identical dungeons if the player gets the idea after the 10th.

Autistic drivel from a retarded french fag. That's not "arguing", that's shit we piss on.

Silva

Arcane
Come on Awesome, you used exageration, I did too. Now going back to reasonable mode..

Yeah, yeah, it seems pretty repetitive. But then Nier Automata also was, and the experience was worth it in the end. My point being: Ghost of Sushi is far from a masterpiece but, different from Ubisoft open-worlders, it seems to have enough élan that makes it a worth experience, warts and all. A solid 7/10 game has it's place, specially if comes with katanas and desync speech like those prestigious 80s MA flicks that make the final grade rise to 8/10. :obviously:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Come on Awesome, you used exageration, I did too. Now going back to reasonable mode..

Yeah, yeah, it seems pretty repetitive. But then Nier Automata also was, and the experience was worth it in the end. My point being: Ghost of Sushi is far from a masterpiece but, different from Ubisoft open-worlders, it seems to have enough élan that makes it a worth experience, warts and all. A solid 7/10 game has it's place, specially if comes with katanas and desync speech like those prestigious 80s MA flicks that make the final grade rise to 8/10. :obviously:
Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely getting it on PC.

Silva

Arcane
Halfway through Act 1 and my impressions so far are similar to other folks here: popamole combat with okay story... but there's something really compelling in the world and its presentation that makes exploration a joy. Damn, just moving around feels great. And the characters you meet with their different stories and dilemmas feel good in a grounded way.

A little detail I like is the "guiding wind", which nudges you gently to the objectives without feeling oppressive. I turned the HUD off immediately and became lost at first but as soon as I noticed the wind tips you on even some small objectives as long as you pay careful attention, I was satisfied.

Oh and the game is beautiful. I'm in a basic PS4 and it's the prettiest thing I've ever seen. With "dramatic contrast" turned on it looks like real life sometimes.

Silva

Arcane
Standoffs and duels are almost impossible on my TV. It's a 10 yo LG with moderate input lag even on game mode. This means I'm forced to go ghost path now.

Remember this if you get the game, bros.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom