Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot somewhat more critical of Bloodlines

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You're such a fucking cunt, Volourn. I like to give people a hard time on the 'Codex in good/vicious humor, but seriously, I detest you."

R00fles!

I apologize for stealing your rubber doll girlfirend, sleeping with your sister, and cooking your mother while your father watch. This is my humble apology.

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:
"My clinical guess would be A.D.D."

Don't become a doctor. You would suck at it.

Most typos are forgivable and obvious. Your lack the ability to focus and are the most deserving case of online A.D.D. And I imagine you mean medical doctor.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You state that you haven't run into any bugs, yet you mention in an earlier post that the game crashed to desktop and here that you've seen clipping. I don't know what you think the definition of a bug is, but those are bugs. They are not meant to be part of the game (unless you think they put those in puprosefully so that you crash to desktop and remember that you actually have work that needs to be done).

Hm, the ctd sometimes happen when I try to enter the pawn shop in the first hub. So far this is the only place were the game died on me. Nothing mayor upsetting. About the clipping, you ever seen a game without it? Hm?

So whatever the reason, the game does have bugs. It detracts from the gameplay. That doesn't mean the game is shit, far from it. I'm having a blast playing it, but to say that the game has no bugs is a flat out lie, epsecially since numerous people have stated they have experienced the same ones that I pointed out.

A flat out lie? Kinda harsh eh? Lets just say that I did not experience anything I regard as a bug. The crap that was toee was filled with bugs, arcanum had a shit load, fallout had plenty and every other piece of software ever created has 'em. For me bugs are the things that ruin the game and the immersion. I didn't find these in vampire.

I dig the game, I dig the combat and I really dig all the pretentious jerks that go nit picking and looking for little things to piss and moan about. Check out gamefaqs boards to see what I mean. Fuck that shit and enjoy the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Most typos are forgivable and obvious. Your lack the ability to focus and are the most deserving case of online A.D.D."

No. Do you even know what ADD is as apparantly you don't. You lose aagin. i simply don't care if my posts are sloppy. It ranks very low on my 'Importance List'. ADD is not simply not poor typing. Shouldn't make light of a seriosu issue like ADD. Don't insult ADDers by comapring them to my laziness when typing. :roll:

Freethis

Novice
Trash, the pawn shop was the same place I had my ctd, I'd just left the apartment though so it didn't really effect me.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Volourn said:
": Check out the Community Lowdown score for Bloodlines. It reads: 9.4 from over 200 votes and 2 reader reviews. That's where the real score is at, baby.

Gamespot sucks."

Oh whatever. You ar ebeing stupid. The 'Codex has fun insulting the public for their 'stupid' opinions yet now because it is conviently a shared opinion; theya re now 'trustworthy'. That's ludicrous.

the general approval of the public is conveniently ignored and selectively embraced hereabouts.

toee gets a 7.5 reader rating.

neverwinter nights got an 8.4.

throne of bhall got 8.8.

and fallout and fallout 2 got the exact same 9.0.

is also noteworthy that vampires had 180+ readers giving a cumulative 9.7 rating a couple days 'fore the game were even released.

HA! Good Fun!

triCritical

Erudite
Volourn said:

Yes

Do you even know what ADD is as apparantly you don't.

I have it, still managed to graduate Magna Cum Laude. Although I work on improving my false, where you are just a loser beyond hope.

You lose aagin.

We're you just in my poker tourney :cry:

ADD is not simply not poor typing.

uh no... Your ADD is obvious from your lack of thought and poorly formulated arguments. And you are so fucking defensive because you know you have it.

Shouldn't make light of a seriosu issue like ADD. Don't insult ADDers by comapring them to my laziness when typing.

I don't think its all that serious. People that like living off other peoples sympathy such as your androgynous self may get offended, but I know first hand that people can do someting about. Of course there are then fuckwits like yourself which continually choose to live off others sympathy.

triCritical

Erudite
Exitium said:
You can't rate a game on GameSpot before it is released. Gromnir is wrong, again.

It also makes sense that the readers are going to be pretty hardcore RPG'ers since HL2 came out the same day. I think the major knocks in the scoring was do to the combat, which IMO seems pretty unfair as described in the article. (EDIT) And I think it goes without saying that it was reviewed by someone who seemed to want an FPS game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Your ADD is obvious from your lack of thought and poorly formulated arguments. And you are so fucking defensive because you know you have it."

Haha. I'm "defensive" because I know people who do have it and youa re insulting them by trying to say that lack of proofreaidng my posts is somehow equal to ADD.

As for you have ADD. Good for you but it is totally irreleavnt. I guess youa re the one wants sympathy.

"Of course there are then fuckwits like yourself which continually choose to live off others sympathy."

Hahaha. That's right. I want sympathy for soemthing i don't have. Besdies, *if* I did have it and *did* want sympathy for it don't you think i'd have admitted to it? What an idiot you are. Stop begging for sympathy because you have ADD. Go back and play the best RPG ever known as TOEE.

Keep up the trolling though.

R00fles!

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Trash said:
A flat out lie? Kinda harsh eh? Lets just say that I did not experience anything I regard as a bug. The crap that was toee was filled with bugs, arcanum had a shit load, fallout had plenty and every other piece of software ever created has 'em. For me bugs are the things that ruin the game and the immersion. I didn't find these in vampire.

Yes most software has bugs, it has to do with the order of complexity of software. I never expected a bug free game, I just expected that the most obvious bugs would have been ironed out. If you didn't feel they detracted from your gameplay, I'm happy for you, other people such as myself feel the need to have a more polished game.

I dig the game, I dig the combat and I really dig all the pretentious jerks that go nit picking and looking for little things to piss and moan about. Check out gamefaqs boards to see what I mean. Fuck that shit and enjoy the game.

I dig the game as well. I am a little disappointed with the combat now, though. I think they could have balanced it a bit better, making the guns at least be just as powerful as the melee. I'm running into trouble with combating vampires now because I'm pretty much a gunslinger, and that doesn't hurt vampires very much (it even says it in the tips between loads). While when I get hit by one of the vampires I lose about 1/3-1/2 of my life, despite the fact that I have body armor on. Disciplines seem to be pretty useless against other vampires as well (I've got level 4 dementation and it doesn't even do anything to a lot of vampires). So basically I don't think the combat is all that well balanced, it seems to force you to have to use melee abilites.

As for pretentious jerks. The argument can go both ways. Prententious hardcore RPG asshats who don't care about bugs, graphics, gameplay issues as long as they get more roleplaying choices and think everyone has to agree with their assessment. :D

I don't know why you guys think you have to downplay the glaring faults (I've run into looping dialog options, getting stuck in items/doors so that I have to reload since I can't move, sound issues where I don't get to hear/read all the dialog, etc). For me a game is a total package, the more bugs it has, the more it detracts from the game. If you don't mind that sort of thing FINE. I've said it a bunch of times already. It doesn't detract from your gameplay, so I'm happy for you, but it does detract from mine. So stop bitching about people expressing their opinions, and since you're enjoying the game so much go back to playing it and let us piss and moan in peace! :mrgreen:

Gromnir

Liturgist
Exitium said:
You can't rate a game on GameSpot before it is released. Gromnir is wrong, again.

sorry exit, but you is wrong... as usual. for whatever reason, gamespot starts allowing ratings BEFORE game necessarily hits stores.

HA! Good Fun!

Old Scratch

Liturgist
I feel compelled to stop lurking since there's finally another RPG I feel like talking about now.

First, I've seen several complaints across different boards about people experiencing slowdown in Bloodlines, and blaming it on memory leaks or that the game is buggy, which I haven't really experienced. Then I saw this thread at Gamespy: "Troika Get's Copy Protection Right With Bloodlines". Sounds good, although I don't know if it's true or not. If it is, Troika should announce it publicly, so pirates don't go around bitching about the game for that reason.

I don't get the complaints coming from reviewers about combat either. Combat is usually one area in most RPGs I can't get into, since the Fallouts at least, but I love it in Bloodlines. There's no pause, order issuing, real-time hybrid, snoozefest bullshit (KOTOR).

Smashing guys up against a wall with a baseball bat and knowing stats are at play never gets old. I've got no problems with ranged combat either, it just reminds me of Deus Ex. I think, as a few have mentioned, stats in general in FPS games just throw some people completely off.

So far I'm having a great time with the game, and Troika has managed to garner a newfound respect from me for it. It's like a spiritual sequel to Deus Ex that doesn't suck, only with vampires and more dialogue.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
As for pretentious jerks. The argument can go both ways. Prententious hardcore RPG asshats who don't care about bugs, graphics, gameplay issues as long as they get more roleplaying choices and think everyone has to agree with their assessment.

True, this site is a shining beacon of that side. :D But you're right, both sides are equelly annoying.

I don't know why you guys think you have to downplay the glaring faults (I've run into looping dialog options, getting stuck in items/doors so that I have to reload since I can't move, sound issues where I don't get to hear/read all the dialog, etc).

Apart from the sometime ctd when you enter the pawnshop (my housemate also had a crash while attempting to enter the place) I've never experienced any of the other things you mention. Guess I'm lucky. :wink: For getting stuck, try ducking, strafing and jumping...I've never not been able to get away. Sound issues are zilch, but then again, I'm playing with subtitles on. Me not being a native english speaker and all that.

So stop bitching about people expressing their opinions, and since you're enjoying the game so much go back to playing it and let us piss and moan in peace!

Allrighty then, cya. :lol:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Old Scratch said:
I think, as a few have mentioned, stats in general in FPS games just throw some people completely off.

I think the overal dissent against it stems from the expectations people have in regards to firstperson combat. I didn't liked the presentation of it in Deus Ex and Morrowind, and apparently I won't be enjoying it that much in Bloodlines. Pretty interesting is that Bloodlines is getting the shaft in something that Deus Ex also had problems with, but one was Game of the Year and all, and the other gets piles of complaints. I've been saying for a long time that it's not very intuitive to combine character stats and player reflexes under a firstperson framework as that PoV is not only generally focused on twitch skills, players themselves have certain expectations of what happens in firstperson as opposed to, lets say, isometric or thirdperson. I do like it that character skills are taken into account in combat in a CRPG (always have), but this kind of combination usually sucks. It sucked in Deus Ex, sucked in Morrowind, and apparently it sucks in Bloodlines (although it would seem Troika did some tweaks to it, which is nice).

IIRC, Bethesda was going to try and focus on this with Oblivion by making some changes, ie, character skill woulnd't hamper the players' reflexes, it would improve on the effectiveness of an attack. Not sure how this will work but in theory it seems good.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What? I've never seen a reader score published before the game was released. So I naturally assume they don't allow reader ratings prior to the game's release.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I loved the way combat depended on skills in Deus Ex. If you didn't invest in rifles, you'd have to have insane luck to score a headshot using a sniper rifle at a long distance. And no one should bitch about it, that's how the game was supposed to work. If it's similar in Bloodlines, I think the complaints are undeserved.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"What do you people think this place is? The FPS Codex?"

Blame Troika on that. Afterall, THEY advertised it as a FPS/RPG. Hell, they did so on this very site. :roll:

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Like I said, my problems with the combat have to do with balance, not the fact that the game uses ability scores to determine effectiveness/accuracy. I had to fight a certain vampire at least 15-20 times in order to kill the guy. I only finally beat him because his AI was slightly buggy causing him not to be able to hit me. That's never a good thing in a game, in my opinion. The problem as I said before is one of balance, maybe the guy was overpowered for my current character and that's why the combat was so ridiculous. I mean had an 8 in Ranged skill and level 4 in my one "combat" discipline and the only way I was able to win was due to buggy AI. Whatever the reason I pretty much got shafted and I hope it doesn't happen again.

My post earlier about combat was in regards to this. The combat works fine for kine and most other kindred, but in this circumstance my skills really didn't mean much. And this was a guy I had to fight, because I tried talking him down first, but I didn't have the skill since I put it all into combat skills :).

Spazmo

Erudite
Anyways, public opinion of the game is largely irrelevant to one's personal enjoyment of the game (I personally like Bloodlines quite a bit), but nonetheless, as I've said before, it is important to see what the general reaction to Bloodlines is and to get and idea of how it might sell. Troika could surely use a big seller.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Anyways, public opinion of the game is largely irrelevant to one's personal enjoyment of the game (I personally like Bloodlines quite a bit), but nonetheless, as I've said before, it is important to see what the general reaction to Bloodlines is and to get and idea of how it might sell. Troika could surely use a big seller."

Spazzy wins! :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom