Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus talks about NWN 2 the action RPG

...having another Fallout game in another way of playing would be great....

Slam and dunk. He even manages to rape the grammar.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Actually I might be sounding like an RPG heretic here, but I do like the WASD idea. And, no I dont play console games [havent played even on Zhiliton:P]. I would love to implement this feature me myself, but, unluckily, I have no oportunity for doing that right now, so, I just have to hop Feargie does it right.

Yeah, it is ortodoxal way of moving your character in cRPG [computer RPG, not console...] but somehow - because of the lack of games that features this system - I'd call it innovative.[Though, there is certainly nothiing revolutionary.] Maybe you feel it wrong just because mostly all good - hardcore - cRPGs like Fallout/Ultima series/some other outstanding fantasy crap/Arcanum - have allways had generally mouse-based movement system and so you are used to it like British are used to drive on the wrong side of the road. And now you come and say its from consoles and on consoles are no good hardcore cRPGs and thats way NWN 2: WASD is EVIL - true, you have point. But is it WASD that distinguishes console jRPG from hardcore [good] cRPG? If yes, re-read Codex's header once again.

Of course, NWN2: WW POWAH AATTAC will never be a game like Fallouts, it will ever be hardcly called good/hardcore cRPG, but thats another story. Feargus tries to optimize its hack`n`slash values because those are the things[I guess] that true fans [of NWN] love and it would not be any reasonable to bring NWN2: The return of Feargus towards Fallout. It would be catastrophe for both sides.

My point was that WASD in NWN2: The Deadly Phrases is not so bad idea and might be the reason I try the game out just to see how it works[allways dreamed of WASD in iso-metric enviroment, while in Gothic it allmost sucks actually]. I strated to love WASD in top-down games after diving into Crimsonlands gameplay - thats the best top-down WASD and I just love the combat there [along with perks and weapons partially from Fallout universe]. And I find it the best real-time implementation in any top-down ranged-weapons/spells game. With swords it just wont work, so there is nothing better than good-ol' Diablo[tm]. Gothic tried to "keyboard-down" the swordplay but I find it hard to manage though it has some bonuses too.

However, the other things liittle F said [big F stands for Fallout] are not quite as pleasent - double W for power attac actually is not interface-wise because if accidentally pushed more or less then 2 times will cause player to move forward - towards the monster he might be willing no to meet. This is one of the main problems I face when playing GothicII.

Maybe he called Fallouts fans the worst somehow ironically? Like "oh those bloody bastards" which is not offending actually. At least I prefer to think so.

DemonKing

Arcane
plin said:
I don't think he is talking about the whole normal fanbase that is the beef of those sales, that probably never go to a fan site or fan forums. I think he just means the small groups on these web-sites that have almost a culture or organized view and attitude towards everything. And I understand why he would dislike that fanbase, because I do as well.

I dunno, I can understand if you don't agree, but at the same time, I understand fergie's destest of them.

I don't think he detests them...he meant that FO fans are the worst to *deal* with, as in the most difficult to please.

I think that anyone with a slightly dispassionate stance on FO would argue that the Hard Core FO fans can go a little OTT sometimes...to put it mildly. :wink:

Pope_Viper

Novice
DemonKing said:
I don't think he detests them...he meant that FO fans are the worst to *deal* with, as in the most difficult to please.

I think that anyone with a slightly dispassionate stance on FO would argue that the Hard Core FO fans can go a little OTT sometimes...to put it mildly. :wink:

Hey, isn't that what makes us warm and cuddly?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
DemonKing said:

I think i'd qualify as someone with a relative passionate stance on FO, and i wouldn't bother arguing that some 'hardcore' Fallout fans can get out of hand at times, because it's true.

However i think the problem here is that Feargus isn't addressing those fans. He's using a blanket statement, on and on. I have no idea if there's some neurons misfiring in there or if its just a personal vendetta, or whatever, but he's basically lumping all Fallout fans - both the vocal online community and the silent 'masses' - into the same bag. Its fine if he dislikes the fans that manifest themselves online, but he should know better than badmouth an entire fanbase simply because he dislikes a vocal minority.

EDIT: In this Gamepro interview, he does it again, by blatantly stating Fallout fans are the worst fans there are.

Not the best kind of statement he could make, really.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
""mainly targeted at multiplayer where you can not pause so often or can't pause at all."

It's not need in NWN MP either. With the quick slots, you pretty much have everything you need. Only spellcasters might need a few more quick slots. I'd say add more quick slots; not this silliness.

RP, sorry, but why should Feargie care if he hrts certain people's feelings? Afterall, the "hardcore" FO fans really don't care if they hurt others and attack viciously whenever they smell blood so they made their bed; now they can live with it. It's caled having a reputation. I thought FO fans were proud of said reputation. Hmm..

BTW, You are one of the cool ones, so i doubt he was specifically referring to you.

Besdies, people are fickle. Just a few days ago Feargie was being talked about like he was a Demigod of Gaming (behind Tim Cain); not he's evil again all of assudden.

R00fles!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Role-Player said:
EDIT: In this Gamepro interview, he does it again, by blatantly stating Fallout fans are the worst fans there are.

Not the best kind of statement he could make, really.
That IS the Gamepro interview thread. Agree that it wasn't the best statement though.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
RP, sorry, but why should Feargie care if he hrts certain people's feelings? Afterall, the "hardcore" FO fans really don't care if they hurt others and attack viciously whenever they smell blood so they made their bed; now they can live with it. It's caled having a reputation. I thought FO fans were proud of said reputation. Hmm..

He should care because he's basically giving the impression that he has issues with a fanbase that's not of his concern. He should know better than make that kind of statement while acting as the mouthpiece of a company, specially because no one can predict the future, and he may be rubbing potential customers the wrong way. It would be as bad as, say, Bill Gates claiming Linux users are dirty hobos with no life (wheter its true or not). Its called diplomacy, and Feargus failed his check.

Granted that some Fallout fans - specifically the online community - can come across as insulting or rabid. Even if we forget for a minute that the same can be said of any other fanbase, you still have to remember that all it takes is for someone to make a clear differentiation between all fans and some fans. Would he say NWN fans are rabid? Or would he say some are rabid?

Then again, I find little reason for his comments towards the fanbase, specially the 'hard to please' comment. Fallout 2 is widely recognized as the best one. It seems to have pleased most fans, and Feargus was a top dog in it.

Either he was gangraped by Fallout extremists, or he's being mind-controlled by evil aliens.

BTW, You are one of the cool ones, so i doubt he was specifically referring to you.

I'll take that as a compliment. I really have no problems with Feargus, and wouldn't really mind if he was specifically refering to me or not. I just feel its a wrong kind of attitude.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Hey, Feargus is partly to blame. He helped make Fallout, so in a way, he made the Fallout fan base. Then he poked us with a sharpenned stick a few times with unkept promises, things like that quote from TORN's announcement that VD remembered, answering "we want turn based in FO3!" with "Well, what don't you like about real time with pause and we'll work on that.", and so on. This made us wonderfully mistrusting and aggressive. He prepared us for the coming of Fallout Tactics and Fallout Enforcer by forcing us to sharpen our saavy and our quills.

So, in a way, Feargus is yo daddy!

<3 Feargus.

I don't hate the man at all, nor do I feel hurt in any way.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Would he say NWN fans are rabid?"

Sure. In many ways, NWN fans are rabid. just look at the Obsidian baords for all the wars.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Curious. I'd simply say some NWN fans are rabid. I don't think I'd make such a vague statement that could possibly lead to misunderstandings and complaints.

But then again, I'm just a rookie when it comes to PR.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"misunderstandings and complaints."

Meh. That's guaranteed to happen, anyways.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
Agree that it wasn't the best statement though.

why not? you piss off eight people and make a great inside joke that makes a couple thousand, who spend their parents disposable income on games, happy. i'd sacrifice some smiles on the faces of a couple of assbuckets for 99% of the rpg-lite fans

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
mr. lamat said:
Agree that it wasn't the best statement though.

why not? you piss off eight people and make a great inside joke that makes a couple thousand, who spend their parents disposable income on games, happy. i'd sacrifice some smiles on the faces of a couple of assbuckets for 99% of the rpg-lite fans
Good point, I guess trashing Fallout fans is very popular nowadays. Makes one cool.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
whitemithrandir said:
You bastards deserve it. Shame on you for rallying for a quality RPG instead of mass produced hack n' slash 6 year olds can appreciate.

That's the funny thing. I've always wondered why developers don't consider that the reason Fallout has such great name recognition is is because it was a quality CRPG with a great setting and great mechanics. It had to stand on it's own and it did. That's why every time BIS announced a new project, people on nearly every gaming forum asked for a Fallout 3.

If it were just some trend chasing CRPG following the current status quo of that time, I really don't think there'd be too many people who would really know what it is these days. It's quality standard basically is what vaulted it's name to where it's at. How many people in the general gaming masses know what Darkstone(A 3D Diablo clone released in the last 1990s) is?

Jora

Arcane
Update!

Frank Kowalkowski posted this in Monte Carlo's topic on the Obsidian boards:

We've looked to mmorgs for some interface suggestions (like quick targeting, locking on targets, etc) to make the game simpler as well as things like /assist commands.

Point and click will remain. Quickbars will remain. I'm not sure where the inference came that we are 'consolizing' the game, but that is simply not the case and I fail to see how adding more hotkeys or options to access feats quickly is 'consolizing' the game. RPGs aren't about navigating interfaces.

We've looked into possibly tying 'quick commands' to certain options (like double-click to execute some default feat, or tapping w-w to 'leap attack' etc). Certainly your success in NWN2 will not depend on anything other than the character in the game (and not the dexterity of the player playing the game). We're simply looking at some things to reduce the NEED to pause in order to manuever the interface. It's possible some people misinterpret this to mean you MUST use these new features--you won't have to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom