Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FATE 2005 RPG Game

DrPeppermintt

Barely Literate
I recently got permission from Wild Studios to make this game on RPG Maker or Roblox, But the problem is I do not know where or what application to download for these file types like .SMA, .DAT, .DLL, .SMS, .DDS and .MDL, If you could please tell me what application to use them, I also have blender. I got this file because Wild Studios sent me this entire file of FATE along with sounds, textures, bgm in my email when i asked for it several months ago and now I am stuck. So I came here in search for experts on rpg creating or experts for people who has knowledge on extracting old files (keep in mind this game is 2005 old)

DrPeppermintt

Barely Literate

DrPeppermintt

Barely Literate
Plus i feel like the SMS is a model thing. But blender doesn't accept SMS, so my guess is there an model application that uses SMS?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If there is, I couldn't find it. The SMS files are a mystery to me. I'm assuming that the DDS are DirectDraw Surfaces and the PNG are just the skins. I would have to think that the SMS is a model type of some sort, but doing searches on sites that have file formats, I haven't been able to track down what they actual are or what even opens them.

I popped one of the SMS files in to a Hex Editor to see if there was something in there that might give a hint as to what it was, and it does reference the PNG file for what it is. There is a version number in it as well, "v2.0" as well as the full word "default". The rest is just data.

So, apparently Humble Bundle screwed up and included the source code for FATE in one of their bundle releases. So, I went digging through the source code and in the LoadModel(), it does have a set of conditions for the extention of the file. Those conditions are MDL, AMS, and SMS. Apparently, just reading through this, "AMS" is for animated models and "SMS" is for skinned models. This makes sense since the skin is in the header of the SMS file. Apparently the animations for the skinned meshes are in the animations.dat file which is loaded along side the skinned meshes.

So, it is the mesh, but I still have no idea what would load it, convert it, or anything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom