Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: Sonora - new Fallout mod from the Fallout: Nevada team

Ok, I think I'll go with the machine translation even if it gets finished. It's impossible for weirdos like that not to inject their retarded idiosyncrasies into everything they produce.

EDIT: It's actually not that hard these days to produce a halfway decent translation even if you only know the language superficially. I remember "translating" articles for an English speaking audience in another forum using only Google Translate and making my own edits. I had studied the language, knew its grammar, but didn't speak it. Most mistranslations were easy to spot, only in a few cases did I have to look up something. I'm confident it was 99% accurate and the material was likely more complex. As long as you're forthcoming about your inadequacies, no one will mind. A generous and enterprising soul could accomplish it in a couple of weeks, maybe less. This is also likely to attract genuine Russian speakers to improve it, specially if they've been rebuffed by the other project.

Last edited:

deama

Prophet
Ok, I think I'll go with the machine translation even if it gets finished. It's impossible for weirdos like that not to inject their retarded idiosyncrasies into everything they produce.
The machine translated one was finished I think yesterday, it's the yandex one, posted earlier.

The machine translated one was finished I think yesterday, it's the yandex one, posted earlier.

The post was right there, somehow I managed to miss it. Thanks.

It's not entirely clear, but it seems there was some input from a Russian speaker, which is exactly what I was wishing for. Machine translation + a few edits here and there can quickly approach the quality of a serious translation with only a fraction of the effort.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Just a heads-up, we pushed an update with some fixes yesterday. I think we’ve got all the poorly translated concepts pined down (covers instead of caps, prospector for scavenger, etc.), but if you find any other egregious error, just post it here.
All you need to do is download the files and overwrite the ones in your folder, it won’t affect your saves.

So far for my mexican chatgpt version I've done the dialogue for the master.dat (main) stuff, all that's left is the dayglow dlc and some technical stuff.
I won't add the mexico thing to the technical translation.

So, so far, I think 50% done? The dayglow dlc one is about 1/5th the size of the main one, so maybe more than 50%?

Btw, feel free to reach out if you have doubts on how to/where to translate stuff, some text strings were hidden in files that took a while to figure out, specially when working with the Extended Release that stretches its .dats over a couple of files, and it ends up turning out that what you translated in one doesn’t do shit because the game is drawing the text from another.
Tho you can just as well grab whatever from our dat too, I guess, specially the stuff that’s in the art folder, which would be pointless to re-translate (we just grabbed the English UI elements from FO2).

deama

Prophet
Btw, feel free to reach out if you have doubts on how to/where to translate stuff, some text strings were hidden in files that took a while to figure out, specially when working with the Extended Release that stretches its .dats over a couple of files, and it ends up turning out that what you translated in one doesn’t do shit because the game is drawing the text from another.
Tho you can just as well grab whatever from our dat too, I guess, specially the stuff that’s in the art folder, which would be pointless to re-translate (we just grabbed the English UI elements from FO2).
Oh really? I've just been going through basically all files under the text directory, will that be enough or is there some other directory too?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
If you go to /art/intrface you’ll find that most of the UI text is actually static graphics (even the premade characters, which, again, feel free to steal from our dat if you care for it).
Then, if you’re working with the ER version, you need to make sure to go over all the z_**** .dats inside the mods folder too for the technical text.

You’ve probably realized, but just in case, when you’re translating the stuff in /game, use the .msg files from the DLC and overwrite those on the original rather than the other way around, as those contain all the lines for the new items, etc.

deama

Prophet
If you go to /art/intrface you’ll find that most of the UI text is actually static graphics (even the premade characters, which, again, feel free to steal from our dat if you care for it).
Then, if you’re working with the ER version, you need to make sure to go over all the z_**** .dats inside the mods folder too for the technical text.

You’ve probably realized, but just in case, when you’re translating the stuff in /game, use the .msg files from the DLC and overwrite those on the original rather than the other way around, as those contain all the lines for the new items, etc.
Ah ok, I think I'm good, thanks.
I won't bother with the art stuff though, too tricky I think for me.

agris

Arcane
Patron

if the mod authors have shared photoshop or gimp project files for their modified art, i would be happy to replace the slavrunes with english text

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Just pushed an update with even more translation fixes, as well as a fix for the burst attack bug (Violator found out that updating sfall to the latest version as seen here does that). Don’t miss it!

if the mod authors have shared photoshop or gimp project files for their modified art, i would be happy to replace the slavrunes with english text

Technically that’s not even needed, you just need to look for an English version of sfall and use its parts to replace the ones in the Russian one, but the process is so tedious (the UI is broken into small pictures to make all of the components, so it’s not one big image, but a tiny one along with its variations for each operating part) and the reward so minuscule that I don’t see a reason to put the time into it.
If you really care to do it yourself, I can give you a description of the steps to follow and the programs you’ll need, tho.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And so, I completed Fallout: Sonora with the Polish translation, which proved to be really good (with some very minor errors here and there).

My notes about the game:
1. The story is better, but much simpler (which also means: less convoluted) than in Fallout: Nevada. You're a villager from a small, isolated settlement in Arizona, located in one of the only places where agriculture is still possible. When you were away, slavers captured most of the population of the settlement, save for those too old or ill to be of any service. You are tasked with bringing the enslaved population (among them your parents) home, which means venturing into the world and getting involved in its numerous conflicts. In the process you will get the opportunity to reshape the political landscape of both Arizona and Sonora and also unearth the secrets behind your home village and its unique conditions.
2. The reactivity is really well done here. Every major decision you make influences the world and is recognized by NPCs in various locations. The effects of these decisions are not limited to a single location. In my playthrough, I condemned a certain settlement to slow decay and death not by doing it any harm (in fact, I made them some favors and was beloved in the community) but by destroying its trade partners, which meant the main source of their industry stopped bringing profits. Almost every major faction can be wiped out completely, not just by killing every single member, but also by other means. You can cause nuclear explosions, and major environmental catastrophes, unleash rogue AIs, and engage in industrial sabotage.
3. There are lots of new assets added to the game - some made from scratch, some made of existing ones, but rearranged. The most impressive are the new talking heads. There are quite a lot of them and sometimes look better than the ones from the original game.
4. The game supports lots of playstyles, combat being probably the most boring of them all. Usually, there are a lot of ways to deal with challenges you face - using skills, and equipment, talking to people, or resorting to violence. The most used skills seem to be: speechcraft, science, tech, and lockpicking, but also traps, sneaking and doctor can be useful on many occasions. Outdoorsman is also pretty important, but more on that later.
5. Combat can pose a challenge only at the beginning when you're weak and poorly armed. Soon however it will become manageable and later - when you fix the power armor (the process is much easier than it was in Nevada) and build your very own plasma rifle - trivial. For some reason, the game does not use all the enemy roster from the original game. You will only meet Supermutants in the Dayglow DLC and in some special encounters in the open-world of the original campaign. Some wasteland abominations never make an appearance, save for skolopendras, flodders and a sporadic deathclaw. You will only meet enemies in power armor if you provoke them to combat. Most human foes will only use leather jackets/armors and basic guns/rifles. Which is a shame.
6. Both small arms and big arms are finally useful, the latter used to operate everything bigger than a pistol or SMG (so shotguns, hunting, automatic & sniper rifles and of course machineguns, flamethrowers and grenade launchers. However, in a typical Fallout fashion both are made obsolete by energy weapons that appear a bit later in the game.
7. The random encounter rate on the world map is crazy. I don't remember it being as bad in any Fallout game (and I played all the other major total conversions). Sometimes on every tile you get 2-3 encounters, both hostile and environmental ones (Sonora introduces dust storms, radioactive mists and dehydration, which you can mitigate by carrying a canteen). It's way too much and encourages the player to invest lots of skill points into Outdoorsman. Without such investment traveling through the wasteland quickly becomes a chore. And there will be lots of traveling back and forth, certain questlines simply force you into doing it.
8. Fortunately the game is pretty long and you can easily get to level 20 or higher, which provides you with lots of skill-points. I ended the game with small arms, energy weapons, speechcraft, lockpicking, science, tech, traps, outdoorsman increased to 100+ with minor investments into other fields.
9. Despite some poor design choices (random encounters and easy combat) I enjoyed Sonora very much and recommend it to every Fallout veteran in need of more of his favorite radioactive fix. You won't find much better in the wasteland.

And now behold some of the mugs you can encounter during your journeys through Arizona & Sonora. Of course, they're fully animated:

1lr4i4X.png
BDruO5Z.png
8MqKLbt.png

WAxJw4S.png
omNo7Bz.png
xqqUr0N.png

deama

Prophet
And so, I completed Fallout: Sonora with the Polish translation, which proved to be really good (with some very minor errors here and there).

My notes about the game:
1. The story is better, but much simpler (which also means: less convoluted) than in Fallout: Nevada. You're a villager from a small, isolated settlement in Arizona, located in one of the only places where agriculture is still possible. When you were away, slavers captured most of the population of the settlement, save for those too old or ill to be of any service. You are tasked with bringing the enslaved population (among them your parents) home, which means venturing into the world and getting involved in its numerous conflicts. In the process you will get the opportunity to reshape the political landscape of both Arizona and Sonora and also unearth the secrets behind your home village and its unique conditions.
2. The reactivity is really well done here. Every major decision you make influences the world and is recognized by NPCs in various locations. The effects of these decisions are not limited to a single location. In my playthrough, I condemned a certain settlement to slow decay and death not by doing it any harm (in fact, I made them some favors and was beloved in the community) but by destroying its trade partners, which meant the main source of their industry stopped bringing profits. Almost every major faction can be wiped out completely, not just by killing every single member, but also by other means. You can cause nuclear explosions, and major environmental catastrophes, unleash rogue AIs, and engage in industrial sabotage.
3. There are lots of new assets added to the game - some made from scratch, some made of existing ones, but rearranged. The most impressive are the new talking heads. There are quite a lot of them and sometimes look better than the ones from the original game.
4. The game supports lots of playstyles, combat being probably the most boring of them all. Usually, there are a lot of ways to deal with challenges you face - using skills, and equipment, talking to people, or resorting to violence. The most used skills seem to be: speechcraft, science, tech, and lockpicking, but also traps, sneaking and doctor can be useful on many occasions. Outdoorsman is also pretty important, but more on that later.
5. Combat can pose a challenge only at the beginning when you're weak and poorly armed. Soon however it will become manageable and later - when you fix the power armor (the process is much easier than it was in Nevada) and build your very own plasma rifle - trivial. For some reason, the game does not use all the enemy roster from the original game. You will only meet Supermutants in the Dayglow DLC and in some special encounters in the open-world of the original campaign. Some wasteland abominations never make an appearance, save for skolopendras, flodders and a sporadic deathclaw. You will only meet enemies in power armor if you provoke them to combat. Most human foes will only use leather jackets/armors and basic guns/rifles. Which is a shame.
6. Both small arms and big arms are finally useful, the latter used to operate everything bigger than a pistol or SMG (so shotguns, hunting, automatic & sniper rifles and of course machineguns, flamethrowers and grenade launchers. However, in a typical Fallout fashion both are made obsolete by energy weapons that appear a bit later in the game.
7. The random encounter rate on the world map is crazy. I don't remember it being as bad in any Fallout game (and I played all the other major total conversions). Sometimes on every tile you get 2-3 encounters, both hostile and environmental ones (Sonora introduces dust storms, radioactive mists and dehydration, which you can mitigate by carrying a canteen). It's way too much and encourages the player to invest lots of skill points into Outdoorsman. Without such investment traveling through the wasteland quickly becomes a chore. And there will be lots of traveling back and forth, certain questlines simply force you into doing it.
8. Fortunately the game is pretty long and you can easily get to level 20 or higher, which provides you with lots of skill-points. I ended the game with small arms, energy weapons, speechcraft, lockpicking, science, tech, traps, outdoorsman increased to 100+ with minor investments into other fields.
9. Despite some poor design choices (random encounters and easy combat) I enjoyed Sonora very much and recommend it to every Fallout veteran in need of more of his favorite radioactive fix. You won't find much better in the wasteland.

And now behold some of the mugs you can encounter during your journeys through Arizona & Sonora. Of course, they're fully animated:

1lr4i4X.png
BDruO5Z.png
8MqKLbt.png

WAxJw4S.png
omNo7Bz.png
xqqUr0N.png
How does it compare to 1.5 ressurection if you've ever played that one?

Beans00

Erudite

How is the weapon/armour progression?
Maybe it's from familiarity or just because they're more lenient, but getting good weapons in fallout 1-2 obviously isn't too hard. Most good guns can be bought from shops and ammo is usually fairly plentiful.

One of the things I enjoyed most about 1.5 and nevada, weapon progression was much slower and ammo was much more expensive and less plentiful. I enjoyed having to use new guns added into the games, and guns I previously mostly ignored in other fallout games. In nevada I think I used a leather jacket for like 10 hours? Does sonora have a similar slow progression/ammo scarcity?

Also how would you say the difficulty compares to nevada/1,5?

I would personally rank the difficulties

1.5 >> f2 >> nevada > F1

For the most part I found nevada pretty easy minus a few random hard areas.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

My notes about the game:

1lr4i4X.png
BDruO5Z.png
8MqKLbt.png

WAxJw4S.png
omNo7Bz.png
xqqUr0N.png
How does it compare to 1.5 ressurection if you've ever played that one?
I played Resurrection, but a long time ago, around 2017 I think.

I think Resurrection had more challenging combat, but a smaller game world and fewer locations. Overall it's a more tight experience. I don't remember Resurrection having as much custom art and no talking heads.

Both TCs are good, and so is Nevada. Certainly every one of them is worth playing.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

How is the weapon/armour progression?
Maybe it's from familiarity or just because they're more lenient, but getting good weapons in fallout 1-2 obviously isn't too hard. Most good guns can be bought from shops and ammo is usually fairly plentiful.
In the first three locations you don't get much better weapons that a simple revolver or pistol, but once you move a bit south you can steal smgs, rifles and soon even laser pistols.

One of the best energy weapons you can simply find unguarded in a special encounter in the overworld.
One of the things I enjoyed most about 1.5 and nevada, weapon progression was much slower and ammo was much more expensive and less plentiful.
Early on ammo is a challenge but soon you are swimming in it (good thing it does not weight anything, else my ST5 character would have a problem carrying anything else).

In the mid-end game I usually walked around the wasteland with 500-700 cells for the energy weapons (unlike F1&2 there's only one type here, nuclear batteries or something) and 2000 rounds for my smg. Other types of ammo, of which I also had thousands, I started using as currency to buy medical supplies.
I enjoyed having to use new guns added into the games, and guns I previously mostly ignored in other fallout games. In nevada I think I used a leather jacket for like 10 hours? Does sonora have a similar slow progression/ammo scarcity?
Not really. Sure, I used leather jacket for some time, but when I found Ranger armor, I never looked back on leather & steel ones. There's also a Tesla Armor (good against laser&plasma) and several types of combat armors, but I never used them because when I started encountering guys wearing them I already possessed a power armor. You can assemble it in a course of a single quest, not like in Nevada were you hunt around the whole map for parts and then have to pay a small fortune to get it assembled. Also, in Dayglow DLC you can get another power armor albeit with a bit different look and stats.
Also how would you say the difficulty compares to nevada/1,5?
Resurrection is much more difficult. Both Nevada and Sonora are pretty easy in comparison, with maybe 1 or 2 tough battles.
I would personally rank the difficulties

1.5 >> f2 >> nevada > F1

For the most part I found nevada pretty easy minus a few random hard areas.
Among the TCs I liked Sonora best, with Nevada close behind. Resurrection felt a bit barebones but still ok. I had least amount of love for Olympus 2207, it tried to tell a story in a different post-apo world but had little of interest to say.

Beans00

Erudite

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I still need to play olympus, maybe I will do that next.

Thanks for the reply, sonora sounds good hopefully it will be in english before 2030.
Fortunately Olympus is the shortest of all total conversions (around 20 hours).

It also has an interesting idea - the tower that you keep returning to throughout the adventure to ascend another few levels - until you run into something too tough for you and have to go back to regular adventuring to gather experience and equipment in order to beat it later.

Irgsarzh

Novice
So, my fellow nerds, here it is! The
FALLOUT SONORA TRANSLATION

Made by yours truly and a fellow called Violator from the Sonora discord that came to my aid. It’s a machine translation (Yandex), but the game is playable all the way though without any other difficulties than accepting some ESL-tier English mistakes.

How does it work? Get Fallout: Sonora + DLC, Extended Release by Foxxx from RUtracker, which is essentially FO:S with the DLC and injected sfall. Then download the contents of the dropbox folder with the translation and replace everything in the Russian version. You’re ready to go!
If you’d prefer the vanilla version of Sonora, get the master.dat from dbox and the file called Dayglow_DLC.dat (inside the /mods folder) but rename it to patchDLC.dat, then replace them inside your install folder.

Known bugs in the sfall version (i.e. not the translation’s fault): burst attacks cause CTD. There are some other random items like the Geiger counter that also CTD when used in hand. Gotta wait for the modder to fix it. If you need to bypass this but don’t want to live without sfall of the Extended Release, you can transfer the savefile to vanilla Sonora, do what you have to, then transfer back to the ER.

The files in the dropbox folder will get updated as I find stuff to fix, but at this point, there shouldn’t be much left to do.

Stuff to report:
Untranslated dialog, write down the name of the character and its location.

Don’t bother reporting:
Untranslated UI. Violator might get to fixing that, but no promises. It shouldn’t affect your ability to play the game in any way, you already know where the AP counter is.
Dialog that’s not idiomatic. Fix it yourself, I don’t care.

I'll probably do the whole SFall and what remains of the UI once I get some more free time. But for whoever gets around playing this version, any glaring dialog errors that you find feel free to shoot them over to either me or AdolfSatan, via DMs would probably be best so as to not clutter the thread.

deama

Prophet
It's done guys! My one is done!!!
Now I just have to figure out how to put it back in.

deama

Prophet
Ok, I figured it out, but for some reason the character description of the 2 guys and 1 gal you can choose is in russian still, everything else is english though.
Where's that file responsible for that?

deama

Prophet
Hmm, game crashes when trying to save, is that a bug that has happened before?

Yeah, looks like something I did in the translation thing screwed up saving it? Donno what though.

Jacov

Educated
I really like what they did to guns in the game. Dividing firearms further into small and big guns was a good idea. I tagged big guns on my initial playthrough and suffered since there are no big guns at the start. Had to run around enemies like a moron and throw rocks at them. But it felt really good when I finally got my first double barrel.
Introduction of new ammo types (slugs for shotties and nanocomposite 10mm bullets) allow shotguns and 10mm weapons be more viable in the second half of the game unlike in classics. I used assault shotgun with slugs to genocide BoS and it was manageable.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I really like what they did to guns in the game. Dividing firearms further into small and big guns was a good idea. I tagged big guns on my initial playthrough and suffered since there are no big guns at the start. Had to run around enemies like a moron and throw rocks at them. But it felt really good when I finally got my first double barrel.
Introduction of new ammo types (slugs for shotties and nanocomposite 10mm bullets) allow shotguns and 10mm weapons be more viable in the second half of the game unlike in classics. I used assault shotgun with slugs to genocide BoS and it was manageable.
I don't know why they reduced the ammo for energy weapons to one type only. Now laser pistol and plasma rifle use the same type, which makes energy weapons even more overpowered than before.

Jacov

Educated
I don't know why they reduced the ammo for energy weapons to one type only. Now laser pistol and plasma rifle use the same type, which makes energy weapons even more overpowered than before.
Yeah, seemed odd to me too. Geiger counter, stealthboy and other devices also use these batteries, so maybe they wanted to make players carefully manage batteries between weapons and gadgets. But it just doesn't work because batteries are easily obtainable.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, seemed odd to me too. Geiger counter, stealthboy and other devices also use these batteries, so maybe they wanted to make players carefully manage batteries between weapons and gadgets. But it just doesn't work because batteries are easily obtainable.
Yup, and they don't weight anything (like the rest of the ammo) so there's even no reason to carry a limited number of them. I usually carried 500-700. So much for resource management :)

deama

Prophet
Ok, so there was some missing brackets here and there, I found them all and it's working fine now.
I'll play around with it for a bit and see how it flows, then release it.

AdolfSatan , do you know if you can change the language in the character selector? The biography of the individual users?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom