Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Silverfish

Arbiter
I just want them to fix the "Rusty Face" bug.

Back in my day we called it the black face bug. Still do. But you do you. Wouldn't want to insult the 10 black fallout/skyrim fans, I guess. Happened in Skyrim too, although rare in both games.

mqdefault.jpg

Would The Institute or Railroad be a better fit for an Al Jolson run?

Poseidon00

Arcane

Back in my day we called it the black face bug. Still do. But you do you. Wouldn't want to insult the 10 black fallout/skyrim fans, I guess. Happened in Skyrim too, although rare in both games.

mqdefault.jpg

Have they still not fixed this shit? This makes it downright unplayable at times. It's already ugly enough, i'm not looking at that shit

mqdefault.jpg

Have they still not fixed this shit? This makes it downright unplayable at times. It's already ugly enough, i'm not looking at that shit
Bethesda games are so buggy and janky that it makes you wonder if they have a debugging team or not.

Gargaune

Magister
Maybe, Bethesda do seem to be getting rather vindictive against modders. I guess they're still butthurt that no one wants to pay them for mods.
"Your appointment to Microsoft should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the executive producer."
"I take it he was agreeable?"
"He didn't really have a choice."
"Has he been trying to fix our games?"
"Oh, yes, most certainly. When I mentioned that we could put him on the priority list for Horse Armour, he was so willing it was almost pathetic."
"This Creation Club - the online bitching is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it."
"Why contain it? Let it spill over into the forums and fansites, let the butthurt pile up online. In the end, they'll beg us for $10 reskins."
"I've received reports of players making their own DLCs. There's not enough value in Horse Armour and gamers are starting to get pissed."
"Of course they're pissed. They can smell lootboxes on the horizon, but the sound they'll make rattling their cage will serve as viral marketing to the casuals."
"Mmm... I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The others may not go as quietly as you think - intelligence indicates they're behind the problems on the Nexus."
"A bunch of unwashed neckbeards playing at game development. But the Creation Kit left them behind long ago. We are the future!"
"We have other problems..."
"Fallout 4 New Vegas?"
"Formed to remake the best game we never made on an engine that doesn't look like shit. It'll take about twenty years, though. I'm more concerned about Fallout London - this one's actually coming out."
"Our shader support is far in advance of theirs, as is our AI radiance. And their reliance on the Script Extender has allowed us to make progress in areas they can't put on consoles."
"Climbable ladders?"
"Among other things - but I must admit that I've been somewhat disappointed in the endurance of Fallout 4."
"Starfield should be online soon. It's currently undergoing preparation and will be so shit that even modders won't try to fix it. If necessary, Fallout 4 will receive a next-gen update that will brick all mods."
"We've had to endure much, you and I, but soon there will be order again, a new age! Aquinas spoke of the mythical City on the Hill, soon that city will be a reality, and we will be crowned its kings. Or better than kings... Employees of the month!"

deuxhero

Arcane
I know of at least two blatant, easily repeatable, bugs that were not fixed by any official or unofficial patch.
1: The Prydwyn spawns based on using a particular terminal to unlock an alternate exit to the dungeon, but NPC references to it are based on an unmissable trigger. This dungeon has 3 other exits the player could easily use, breaking the main quest.
2: Traveling to the Prydwyn by the Airport's vertibird (rather than fast travel) will kill companions by spawning them in mid-air after loading.
(Dishonorable mention goes to how companions love to kill themselves by falling, and the really, really shitty hitboxes with vault rails where the empty space between between the rails blatantly stops bullets.)

Watch them still be unfixed despite these promised bug fixes.

As I understand it, it's due to the game "timing out" while loading assets, which in a best case results in invisible meshes, the "rusty faces" with improper lighting, and so on.
But in more typical cases, crashes, because it's trying to do physics, shadows, and other rendering with things that were only half loaded.

The current mod fix just "reloads" the item and hope it works this time.
Actually, speaking of textures they could (but won't) also fix how the HD texture pack is 90+% non-HD textures with worse compression bloating the file size to insane levels and not tagged as a DLC so it disables achievements without modding.

Also, this bit of lore I'm fuzzy on - was there even USSR in the Fallout world? I though it was all China there doing the commie thing. But we see a crashed USSR sattelite at some point. So I'm not sure now.

One of the pre-gens in Fallout 1 is explicitly descended from a Soviet ambassador. Given all the mentions of "Russia" and the clearly post-Soviet borders of Fallout 4's globe item, Fallout 3's including "Russia" next to Alaska on a map, and proud import marking on the vodka bottles, I'm fond of the theory that the "Soviet Union" of Fallout's 2077 was "Soviet" and "Union" in name only and is basically just Russia clinging to old glory. I think it fits thematically with the way the US of Fallout is portrayed.

ind33d

Learned
it's inconceivable that FO4's next gen update actually came out. i hope starfield gets that kind of support

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
That America Rising 2 mod does seem nice, actually. I saw a review of it and it does seem to still have the Enclave act like the ruthless bastards they are meant to be, and it plugs into the main questline.

I might install FO4, but first I need to know if the following mods exist and if they are functional :
- Mod that returns skills
- Mod that brings back the DR/DT system and removes whatever nonsense calculation Bethesda uses for their armour
- Mod that reduces number of power armour suits out in the world and gives them a much longer battery life
- Mod that replaces the combat shotgun, combat rifle, pipegun, institute lasers and assault rifle with weapon models that aren't dogshit and are consistent with the earlier games.
- Mod that brings back dialogue boxes
- Mod that removes legendary effects because fuck that looter shooter shit, get out of my Fallout.
- Mod that brings back ammo crafting instead of using that Rube-Goldberg machine nonsense
- Mod that shuts Preston up about the bloody settlements
- Mod that brings back hardcore mode, because survival mode's save mechanics is annoying.
- Mod that brings back actual crit chances instead of that silly "press space to use special bar" system
- Mod that makes the perks not stupid. Idiot Savant can just bugger off, along with those extra damage perks for weapons.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually, speaking of textures they could (but won't) also fix how the HD texture pack is 90+% non-HD textures with worse compression bloating the file size to insane levels and not tagged as a DLC so it disables achievements without modding.
And here I thought it was widely accepted that the "HD Texture Pack" is 50 GB of nothing :lol:

deuxhero

Arcane
That America Rising 2 mod does seem nice, actually. I saw a review of it and it does seem to still have the Enclave act like the ruthless bastards they are meant to be, and it plugs into the main questline.

I might install FO4, but first I need to know if the following mods exist and if they are functional :
- Mod that brings back the DR/DT system and removes whatever nonsense calculation Bethesda uses for their armour
- Mod that reduces number of power armour suits out in the world and gives them a much longer battery life
- Mod that replaces the combat shotgun, combat rifle, pipegun, institute lasers and assault rifle with weapon models that aren't dogshit and are consistent with the earlier games.
- Mod that removes legendary effects because fuck that looter shooter shit, get out of my Fallout.
- Mod that brings back ammo crafting instead of using that Rube-Goldberg machine nonsense
- Mod that brings back hardcore mode, because survival mode's save mechanics is annoying.
- Mod that brings back actual crit chances instead of that silly "press space to use special bar" system
- Mod that makes the perks not stupid. Idiot Savant can just bugger off, along with those extra damage perks for weapons.
Return Skills: Be Exceptional - Skills and Perk Overhaul. It works, does what it intends to do, and frees up a lot of perk taxes. Not nearly enough interesting perks to take though.
DR/DT: Don't know. True Damage+Scorge overhauls damage and HP to be sane and works with anything so long as the ammo isn't new though.
Replacers: Nina's Proper Pipe Guns Replacer does the pipe guns. There's various replacers for the other stuff, but it's your pick of a real world weapon rather than original concept done right.
Dialog boxes: Extended Dialog Interface+SCDC. Does nothing to fix vanilla's horrible dialog options though.
Remove Legendary: Lots. Personally though, as stupid as they are, they're the only interesting loot in the game thanks to crafting.
Brings back ammo crafting: A few, many tied to various mod frameworks. If you do this, be sure to also grab something that increases the amount of lead/things with lead because its literally rarer than silver in unmodded game.
Shuts up Preston: Probably. In vanilla you can actually avoid the loop by just not talking to Preston after completing one since it will auto-complete without giving you a replacement quest after several days, not that you'd ever realize this without a wiki.
Bring back hardcore: There's lots of mods to remove Survival's various limitations, but the entire thing is horribly flawed and more annoying than anything. The fatigue on radway (when everything causes radiation and you have no "buffer" before getting negative effects) and random disease from sleeping in clean beds you own is a clear "We didn't test this at all" territory.
Makes perks not stupid: True Damage (which soft requires Scourge) removes most bonus damage from non-melee perks while retaining/boosting their other bonuses.

None of this solves how the game is just terminally boring. There's barely any non-main quest quests, and few are well done. The crafting means there's no interesting loot ever except for legendary effects, which are all totally random in placement or bought from vendors, so there's nothing of interest in dungeons.

Cologno

Educated
It's worse than nothing!
Truth. I've never ever ever seen it recommended anywhere except as a requirement in some mod lists to make sure it's disabled. I guess it's possible to make them usable, but meh, why? Faster to download better texture packs if that's your thing.

Yosharian

Arcane

The biggest issue with any modlist you might come across is that Preston is pretty much always intact, it's hard to do anything with him because of how integrated he is into the game

Vyvian

Educated
Sounds like not even mods can make Fallout 4 actually fallout :/
Thanks for the list anyway though. Maybe Fallout London will be interesting.
Fallout 4 is such a mess it's pretty much impossible to fix.
I've tried modding it for years to get a better feel but you can only get close enough to feel annoyed rather than satisfied. So many things like fixes to the dialogue system and various frameworks came too late to really catch on and be baseline for modders to create.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Haha that update, realtime lighting stuff is so dead in water it's not even funny.

Todd paving the road for high quality lightmaps on mobile thanks Todd.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I miss the good old days, when "Fallout" 4 was the worst thing shat out by Bethesda.

As we now know, thanks to Starfield - things can get much, much worse.

Alphons

Cipher
Does it mean that the second soldier did not have his critical bar filled?
He had to shoot the Canadian 3 times in the head.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Does it mean that the second soldier did not have his critical bar filled?
He had to shoot the Canadian 3 times in the head.

Canadian heads are mostly skull. He was just taking necessary precaution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom