Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: RPGCodex Predictions (Updated)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Sovy Kurosei said:
The number of skills for Fallout will very likely be reduced. Here is what I am guessing they will be like:

Small guns, big guns and energy weapons will be consilidated into one gun skill. Melee will absorb the unarmed skill. Throwing will be removed altogether. First aid and doctor will become one skill, probably called first aid or medic. Sneak and steal will probably be merged into one skill. Lockpicking will remain. Traps skill will be removed. Science and Repair will both be removed. Speech will be merged with the barter skill. Gambling will be removed. Outdoorsman will probably be renamed to something else. The total amount of skills will be seven. The attributes that govern the remaining skills would be:

Strength - Melee
Perception - Guns
Endurance - Outdoorsmanship (or whatever its new name would be) or some kind of MacGuyver skill.
Charisma - Speech
Intellect - Medic
Agility - Sneak
Luck - Lockpicking

If Bethesda is going to include additional races they will probably have: Humans, mutants and ghouls. Possibly robots and deathclaws and the reason for the latter is to not disappoint their furry fanbase.

Ah, yeah. That is just my guess that I pulled out of my ass. :|

Please shut up! Don´t give them any ideas! :lol:

BTW, Outdoorsmanship will be renamed Survival.

denizsi

Arcane
Let's have some made-up controversy to discuss:

Fallout 3 is released. As it turns out, you can play it completely in both first person with direct controls and iso-esque third person with mouse. You can have twitch combat in real-time, and also turn-based combat in third person: Bethesda simply decided to keep the old system mostly in just in case. What's more, turn-based combat somehow isn't sucky either, it's good! Third person camera is easy to control. Everything else sucks as the usual Beth way though. But the core for turn-based FO is more or less there, in a form you'd never expect.

What would you think? Would you be happier / sadder?

No, I honestly don't think there's any reasonable possibility of any of that happening and that's beside the point anyway.

dagorkan

Arbiter
wallace said:
Didn't you get the memo? It's now hip to miss BIS and Troika, even if you just confuse them both for Bioware.

What are you talking about? I hate Bioware (except NWN1 is OK).

denizsi: I don't particularly like Fallout for combat. I thought it was one its worst aspects. So no, plot, quests and dialog is what matters most.

taxacaria

Scholar
Re: Fallout 3: RPGCodex Predictions

dagorkan said:
3/ First person view everywhere (except world map maybe)
4/ Realtime combat

Want an action shooter? Why will you turn Fallout into one? There are enough of this craps on the market. RT has no advantages - except for additional stress and replacement of char abilities with player's agility. There is no reason to change combat system, but there are many reasons to do not.
FP with companions isn't a good idea - Fallout fights with auto weaponry are deadly, and you can't watch your companions in FP/RT.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
denizsi said:
Let's have some made-up controversy to discuss:

Fallout 3 is released. As it turns out, you can play it completely in both first person with direct controls and iso-esque third person with mouse. You can have twitch combat in real-time, and also turn-based combat in third person: Bethesda simply decided to keep the old system mostly in just in case. What's more, turn-based combat somehow isn't sucky either, it's good! Third person camera is easy to control. Everything else sucks as the usual Beth way though. But the core for turn-based FO is more or less there, in a form you'd never expect.

What would you think? Would you be happier / sadder?

No, I honestly don't think there's any reasonable possibility of any of that happening and that's beside the point anyway.

I would probably pick it up. Really it would only have to have a few redeeming features to make me give it a try but I am not holding my breath.

Section8

Cipher
I started out slightly enthusiastic about this thread, but my mind is blocking serious predictions of what Bethesda will do <s>with</s> to Fallout because it's likely to make me turn Emo and start cutting myself.

MisterStone

Arcane
My prediction:

Fallout 3 will feature vehicles. But you won't actually be able to shoot out of them or use them to run people over (too unbalancing). Also, about 3 months after the game is released, Bethesda will sell a mod offering a larger variety of paint job and rims for your vehicle. The mod will cost at least $10.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
MisterStone said:
Also, about 3 months after the game is released, Bethesda will sell a mod offering a larger variety of rim jobs. The mod will cost at least $10.

fiXed!

My predictions:

Lots and lots of pop culture references, Fallout 2 will look like an unfucked virgin in comparison

Lots of skills scrapped and replaced with minigames, including traps, lockpick, speech and gambling.

Real-time first person combat, along the lines of Bloodlines. Third-person over the shoulder view for melee. Naturally, combat will suck and you will be ambushed by flying geckos everywhere you go.

Hookers

Norfleet

Fallout 3 is nothing more than lies and propaganda created by the Liberal-controlled media.

flabbyjack

Arcane
MisterStone said:
My prediction: Fallout 3 will feature vehicles. But you won't actually be able to shoot out of them or use them to run people over (too unbalancing).

My prediction:
Armed vehicle combat. Arena fighting with combat bikes will be the most intense gaming experience yet. Two to eight men on dirtbikes, wearing leather(football pads/helmet) armor, wielding chains and clubs. Last man standing.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
You guys do know that right now you're making a The Best Thread Ever for Bethesda fans right?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Warlord_peecard said:
I honestly am considering to massacre the hole bethseda developer staff if they cut out one single feature from the orginal concept to replace it with a crappier one. Whos with me on this one?.
I think not even the Codex appreaciates death threats against developers. Grow up man.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Warlord_peecard said:
I honestly am considering to massacre the hole bethseda developer staff if they cut out one single feature from the orginal concept to replace it with a crappier one. Whos with me on this one?.

I'm with you. I'll need an opportunity to try out some new swordfighting technics. I guess decapitating the whole Bethesda staff would be good training.

EDIT:
Whoever takes this serious needs some lessons in humor. This might not be good humor, but it is some kind of humor nonetheless.

EDIT 2:
And maybe Todd pees in his pants out of fear when he reads this and tries to make Fallout as close to the original as possible.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Predictions:
- Zoomable camera from isometric to 3rd person, optional first person.
- Realtime with pause gameplay, adjustable to wego with autopause. More KOTOR than Oblivion w. guns.
- SPECIAL character system at core more or less intact, but somewhat reduced skill list.
- Graphical style that tries to emulate what is seen in the F1 intro screen.
- Continuous world, one city plus surroundings.
- Full audio, as a consequence reduced complexity in dialogue compared to F1, F2, although more than in O.
- Attempts at fallout humour, with mixed success.
- Animated vaultboy GFX.
- Minigames for lockpicking, computer hacking, and other skills.

Lumpy

Arcane
GhanBuriGhan said:
Predictions:
- Realtime with pause gameplay, adjustable to wego with autopause. More KOTOR than Oblivion w. guns.
- SPECIAL character system at core more or less intact, but somewhat reduced skill list.
- Graphical style that tries to emulate what is seen in the F1 intro screen.
- Continuous world, one city plus surroundings.
- Full audio, as a consequence reduced complexity in dialogue compared to F1, F2, although more than in O.
- Attempts at fallout humour, with mixed success.
- Animated vaultboy GFX.
- Minigames for lockpicking, computer hacking, and other skills.
Seconded.
Oh, and BG style dialogue.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
GhanBuriGhan said:
Predictions:
- Realtime with pause gameplay, adjustable to wego with autopause. More KOTOR than Oblivion w. guns

I thought I read somewhere that pete already said they're going to "do what they are good at", and he said that this is real time combat in first/third person perspective in the style of Morrowind/Oblivion.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
and he said that this is real time combat in first/third person perspective in the style of Morrowind/Oblivion
I'm glad he cleared that up because otherwise I would not have known what he was talking about, like a Jeopardy question that stumps everyone.

This style of gameplay is what Bethesda Softworks is best at.
Beep Beep Beep
The correct answer is...I'm sorry, there is no correct answer, everyone gets free points.

edit- anal bum cover

Joe Krow

Erudite
I used to lock my little brother in the closet when my friends would come over. I'm sure he said all kinds of witty things while he was in there but no one heard him. When I let him out I would feel kind of bad but he was just so annoying. Anyway, that is what's happening here.

HardCode

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
I thought I read somewhere that pete already said they're going to "do what they are good at", ...

In other words, ruin another established IP? Fuck up the game beyond all possibilities? Sell out the core fans to the XBox retards? Sounds about right.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
HardCode said:
JarlFrank said:
I thought I read somewhere that pete already said they're going to "do what they are good at", ...

In other words, ruin another established IP? Fuck up the game beyond all possibilities? Sell out the core fans to the XBox retards? Sounds about right.

He should have said "We're going to do what we make people believe that we are good at."

I guess the rule of too many cooks screw the soup is true if you look at Bethesda. Just look at the number of developers of Morrowind, and then number of devs of Oblivion.

Amasius

Augur
Joe Krow said:
I used to lock my little brother in the closet when my friends would come over. I'm sure he said all kinds of witty things while he was in there but no one heard him. When I let him out I would feel kind of bad but he was just so annoying. Anyway, that is what's happening here.
Hey Joe! Every time I read one of your top quality posts I'm in the mood for a Monkey Dance. :D

Nedrah

Erudite
Let's wait until we have some actual information.
Yes, we do know it'll most likely suck - but that's only because we know the developer.
The whole "watching a car accident in slow motion" is just that much more fun if you at least have any idea what the car looks like.

Micmu

Magister
Ok, here's my bile:
  • Utterly linear plot with lots of spacebar pressing as a "dialogue", some cosmetical choices and useless options that will produce the same outcome.
    They'll transform the complete plot flow and quests into following directions, like they did with their ES.
  • Poor writing, lots of adolescent humor and unfunny jokes. Cliche galore.
  • Transformed into a fully blown Action/RPG. Pure FPS aiming with *twist* your stats magically adding to your maximum damage. Of a gun.
    Tons of mandatory combat. Cool frags.
  • SPECIAL retardiated into an action variant with cool maximize/reduce damage perks. Science, social and other non-combat skills will be used rarely. Also, you'll always be able to "invest" 7 bottlecaps instead of using a skill and find a correct tool right next to the "puzzle".
  • Raped setting with KEWL 90s and 2K stuff like deflector shields, personal cloaks and creatures with supernatural powahz,
  • Primarily an Xbrick game, so no PC interface and lots of hand-holding and popular gimmicks to cater to the lowest common denominator, Too easy.
  • FO's interesting drug/stim system with side effects and addiction will be gone completely. Expect standard healing potions.
  • Game world shrunk into a single city, using the LOADING engine.
  • Riddled with many weird design decisions that will add and multiply into a shitfest - so, again, some folks will ask themselves if FO3 is even an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom