Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fallout 2 Mod play through.

Jigby

Augur
Want to play Fallout 2 again, but I also want to spice up the game with some mods and different play styles (if possible).

Any recommendations? The Brazilian Slaughter

Sorry to repeat this stuff. (Copy and paste, etc).

I don't want to blow my own horn "honk, honk". Everytime someone makes a Fallout 2 / Fallout mod thread I'm going to remind people that there's a new version of the Restoration Project with new maps. Use only one of the file packages, not both at the same time! Most of the changes are subtle and are based on the original artwork.

Can people test these maps for issues - glitches, etc. Hopefully this new version of the RP maps will be used in a future update of RPU, if not then they will be released as a separate mod, either way I'm not fussed.

Now I worked on the RP back in the day and helped Killap with the maps, so I'm fully aware of all the problems regarding the maps, considering I'm the one that made the problems. These new maps address many of the problems, namely the old ones were too busy with 'unnecessary stuff'.

The lighting in a few locations has been altered, so don't worry if things feel different when first encountering them - Gecko Powerplant has a darker interior, same for the Sierra Army Depot, as well as the Military Base (fixing the generator fixes only the elevator, doesn't turn on the lights anymore). Why the changes, because they look so much better - play and see.

The files come in two types. One is the raw files (art, maps, scripts, text, etc) - a lot of the art has been changed, overriding your original files is necessary and its permanent, so make a backup if you're worried. For lovers of files, download and have a look at the stuff. Preferably just use the .dat file, not both. The raw files is for people interested in the changes to the files.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ug46yrv35asu81j/rpu_2.7.rar/file

The second is the RPU.dat file that overrides version 2.6 in the mods folder - again make a backup if you're worried. The RPU.dat has new critters for Cat Jules as well as all the raw files in their proper folders.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k8z6ojjq4xj1lgn/rpu.rar

Just note if you play with these new maps you're never going back to the original Restoration Project, let alone the vanilla game (unless it's a nostalgia trip). For the best look play the game with the 2x scaling on (get as close to the original resolution look as possible), playing the game at an ungodly resolution looks shit and Tim Cain will curse you.

Now it goes without saying start a new game!

ZFunJDg.jpg

1GKIuZA.jpg

GWteFrW.jpg

Where can I find the updated version?
RPU - https://github.com/BGforgeNet/Fallout2_Restoration_Project/releases
new maps - https://www.mediafire.com/file/k8z6ojjq4xj1lgn/rpu.rar

roshan

Arcane
Want to play Fallout 2 again, but I also want to spice up the game with some mods and different play styles (if possible).

I don't want to blow my own horn "honk, honk". Everytime someone makes a Fallout 2 / Fallout mod thread I'm going to remind people that there's a new version of the Restoration Project with new maps. Use only one of the file packages, not both at the same time! Most of the changes are subtle and are based on the original artwork.

Can people test these maps for issues - glitches, etc. Hopefully this new version of the RP maps will be used in a future update of RPU, if not then they will be released as a separate mod, either way I'm not fussed.

Now I worked on the RP back in the day and helped Killap with the maps, so I'm fully aware of all the problems regarding the maps, considering I'm the one that made the problems. These new maps address many of the problems, namely the old ones were too busy with 'unnecessary stuff'.

The lighting in a few locations has been altered, so don't worry if things feel different when first encountering them - Gecko Powerplant has a darker interior, same for the Sierra Army Depot, as well as the Military Base (fixing the generator fixes only the elevator, doesn't turn on the lights anymore). Why the changes, because they look so much better - play and see.

The files come in two types. One is the raw files (art, maps, scripts, text, etc) - a lot of the art has been changed, overriding your original files is necessary and its permanent, so make a backup if you're worried. For lovers of files, download and have a look at the stuff. Preferably just use the .dat file, not both. The raw files is for people interested in the changes to the files.

The second is the RPU.dat file that overrides version 2.6 in the mods folder - again make a backup if you're worried. The RPU.dat has new critters for Cat Jules as well as all the raw files in their proper folders.

Just note if you play with these new maps you're never going back to the original Restoration Project, let alone the vanilla game (unless it's a nostalgia trip). For the best look play the game with the 2x scaling on (get as close to the original resolution look as possible), playing the game at an ungodly resolution looks shit and Tim Cain will curse you.

ZFunJDg.jpg

1GKIuZA.jpg

GWteFrW.jpg

So the restoration project has an installer, but how do I install the new maps? Just dump that .dat file into the Fallout 2 folder?

Jigby

Augur

ZFunJDg.jpg

1GKIuZA.jpg

GWteFrW.jpg

So the restoration project has an installer, but how do I install the new maps? Just dump that .dat file into the Fallout 2 folder?
In the Fallout2\mods folder replace rpu.dat with the one with new maps.

roshan

Arcane
I am playing the restoration project and have done some of the new content - but not visited the new areas - and so far things seem okay, except for the orphanage quest in The Den. I almost puked at the emotional, idealistic, preachy, woke writing which didn't fit the setting of Fallout at all.

Which soyboy tranny cuck wrote that quest???

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I wonder what you did to it, so that:
- it reads settings from cncdd.ini, instead of ddraw.ini
- applies whatever hack sfall's ddrawex.dll applied

Hex modification? Or changed the code and recompiled it?

Some minor issues I'm having:
- print screen button doesn't do anything, even though that's the designated button in cnc-draw to create screenshots in the /Screenshots/ folder. Setting it to another button in .ini doesn't help either.
- unlike in RetroArch, shader settings have no menus, so I'm helpless to tweak them, cause their parameters aren't well commented. oh well.

I'm wondering what's the optimal settings for "limit frame rate", "limit game speed", "fix diagonally displayed drawing issues" (what does this do?), "enable vsync"? I'm guessing some of them could affect the shaders.

Otherwise, this is fantastic stuff. What other old RPGs can be launched like this, e.g. Temple, Arcanum, IE games?

Last edited:

Jigby

Augur
I wonder what you did to it, so that:
- it reads settings from cncdd.ini, instead of ddraw.ini
- applies whatever hack sfall's ddrawex.dll applied

Hex modification? Or changed the code and recompiled it?
The config utility was just hexedited. The .dll was recompiled. I experimented since then with different resolutions and the one I settled on is 854x480. Whatever aliasing you get is nicely filtered away with the libretro shaders and 480p has the benefit of having the oiriginal 4:3 screens to be fullscreen (I'm thinking of the character screen, world map, pipboy screen, dialogue screen etc.). You get the best of both worlds, a widescreen viewport and but also those windows displayed fullscreen with no letterboxing and no distractions like having the viewport in the background. The crt scanlines are also more pronounced in 854x480 than 960x540.

comparison (give it a sec to load)
480p; nearest neighbor vs. libretro
-> https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=e6d2a58e-f690-11ed-b5bd-6595d9b17862
-> https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxt...html?uid=905c4758-ff1b-11ed-b5bd-6595d9b17862

The screens are slightly more dark thanks to the scanlines. I don't think it looks bad. To have those 4:3 screen without background, set DIALOG_SCRN_BACKGROUND=1 in f2_res.ini / f1_res.ini
print screen button doesn't do anything
That particular cnc-ddraw is letting sfall use its own dinput hook due to which cnc doesn't see the keypress. I changed it a little bit and reuploaded, if you want to use cnc's hotkeys, set dinputhook=true in cncdd.ini on line 134. That said, Fallout itself is eating most hotkeys, only a few work like scroll lock, num lock and caps lock. Print screen doesn't seem to work. So you'll have to reassign cnc-ddraw screenshot hotkey to something like numlock (0x90). Also I don't think cnc's print screen is that useful. It seems to take the screenshot before the image is upscaled, w/o shaders. I just used simple OS printscreen for those screens (on win11 start+printscreen).

unlike in RetroArch, shader settings have no menus, so I'm helpless to tweak them, cause their parameters aren't well commented. oh well.
yes, unfortunately, there's no runtime configuration. You can try to configure it in Retroarch I suppose and then just copy the values.

What other old RPGs can be launched like this, e.g. Temple, Arcanum, IE games?
IE games (classic obv., not Beamdog) work very well, it is what I use. Although I think crt doesn't look that well on IE. Arcanum should work although I haven't tried it. ToEE I think is directx 9 if I remember correctly? That definitely won't work. Generally you should expect 2D DirectDraw7 games to work very well. There are plenty of strategy games. I'm thinking of Konan:Immortal Sovereigns, Age of Wonders, Stronghold... For RPGs you'd have to try the different orthographic games, diablo-likes, maybe things like Lionheart? I think cnc-ddraw doesn't have the kind of wide-applicability that some other wrappers have, it's mostly DirectDraw, but if it works, it works very well.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The .dll was recompiled.
Would you mind sharing a link to your fork with the changes? You never know, people disappear from the internet, mega links die, but 10 years from now it may very likely still be the best way to play it.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Hm, changing values in sfall's ddraw.ini doesn't do anything. I did everything as instructed, so what can be the issue?

Last edited:

Jigby

Augur
Well, which setting specifically doesn't work? Also which sfall is this? Is sfall loaded into the game? If you start Fallout, in the main menu's bottom right corner there should be sfall's version number. If it's some input related setting, those will most likely work only with sfall's dinput. If none of the settings work, that I'd assume means sfall is not loaded. But you can always check for the version number in the main menu. Can you post somewhere your ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini? Like pastebin

edit: I just tested it with cnc's dinput and some of the sfall's functionality doesn't work correctly (which is logical I suppose). So I'd just revert back to using sfall's dinput by setting dinputhook=false. As an example I'm using the InventoryFilter mod for FO2 (https://www.nma-fallout.com/resources/inventory-filter-mod-english-version.142/) which has some hotkey settings, but because of the missing dinput the whole thing doesn't load. I think it's just safer to let sfall use its own thing.

If you have some other problem, like no setting works, check if the sfall is loaded and possibly post your ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
My Fallout 1 and 2 mods folder is 37GB. If you've already played FO2 to completion you should really give a few of the total conversion a go. Some of them are quite impressive.
What all do you have in there?
Too many to list them all, but here's a few - the ones I've played (but not necessarily fully completely) will have a [✓]:

Dangerous Quest [✓]
Nevada [✓]
Sonora [✓]
FOnline [✓]
Mutants Rising
Olympus 2207 [✓]
Resurrection [✓]
Shattered Destiny
Yesterday [✓]
Last Hope
Living Dead
Story of the Jackal [✓]
Dominion
Oblivion Lost
Paris
Wasteland Merc 1 & 2 [✓]
13V
Restoration Project [✓]
Fixt [✓]
Cassidy Head
Megamod [✓]
Black Steel
Easter Special
Fallout Wars
New Vision
Survivor

Also have a bunch of Fallout Tactics mods, but I haven't played many of them besides Nous Aurons and Enclave and haven't completed either.
Olympus 2207 is a top tier mod. Very skilled devs worked on it, it's a great experience for those who like the black isle era and miss it. I think it's even better than Fallout Nevada.

Jigby

Augur
Those inis look fine. Couple of points.

1. I uploaded a slightly changed version, you can try it, although I don't think that that's where the problem is
2. Is HRP working for you? If you start the game, do you get widescreen resolution?
3. This one is a bit stupid, but when you renamed ddraw.dll to ddrawex.dll, you had in Windows Explorer enabled "show file extensions". So that the file doesn't end up being called ddrawex.dll.dll :)

edit1: sfall also has some dependencies on old DirectX June 2010, not sure if this could be a part of the problem, but make sure you have it installed (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109)
edit2: fundamentally, you want to first try the game without cnc, to see if sfall gets properly loaded. If sfall works, then you can rename it to ddrawex.dll and try cnc. If it doesn't work with cnc, I think it either has to be missing functions on import, which technically should be fixed by installing the DirectX version up above, or it can't find ddrawex.dll, which is a filename problem or a file access problem (in case you have it installed in Program Files or some other folder like that).

Also my Fallout2 just says 1.02, it doesn't say 1.02d, but I guess that's what you meant? I'm using GOG, although I think Steam has the same version. I'll check later. [yep, steam has the same version]
1.png

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
fundamentally, you want to first try the game without cnc
This helped, because I tried it without CNC and it didn't want to launch. I think my antivirus fucked up Sfall's ddraw.dll - it detected a trojan. I added it to exclusions, but apparently it fucked it up anyway. Reinstallation fixed it, everything works now. I still have 1.02d. Google says it's actually the latest one, came out after 1.02, so you may want to get it (I've no idea why your gog version doesn't have it, mine comes from gog too... that I got on torrents, but still)

Weirdly enough, Fallout doesn't want to launch in 854*480 resolution without CNC, says it's an incompatible resolution. But with CNC it works. So all the more reason to use it.

This is me almost ready to go:
5f523748348cf7f345eec7f5ad7aea67.png

I'll try it with a few other older RPGs and then write a guide on Russian version of gamer reddit to popularize this method, because of how good and at the same time completely unknown it is.

Last edited:

Jigby

Augur
Google says it's actually the latest one, came out after 1.02
Ah, ok. You're using RPU. I also have 1.02d version, but in vanilla Fallout 2 it's displayed only as 1.02. I guess the RPU guy must have updated the version string to make it slightly more precise. But we have the same executable.
Weirdly enough, Fallout doesn't want to launch in 854*480 resolution without CNC/
Without cnc, you're relying on the gpu/monitor for the scaling which means, you'd have to add 854x480 into custom resolutions in your graphics card control panel. Also it's possible that you might need to add some 8bit/16bit color compatibility flag. With cnc, everything is upscaled via cnc, so you can set any *wacky* resolution and it will work. With aspect ratio or w/o.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
fundamentally, you want to first try the game without cnc
This helped, because I tried it without CNC and it didn't want to launch. I think my antivirus fucked up Sfall's ddraw.dll - it detected a trojan. I added it to exclusions, but apparently it fucked it up anyway. Reinstallation fixed it, everything works now. I still have 1.02d. Google says it's actually the latest one, came out after 1.02, so you may want to get it (I've no idea why your gog version doesn't have it, mine comes from gog too... that I got on torrents, but still)

Weirdly enough, Fallout doesn't want to launch in 854*480 resolution without CNC, says it's an incompatible resolution. But with CNC it works. So all the more reason to use it.

This is me almost ready to go:
5f523748348cf7f345eec7f5ad7aea67.png

I'll try it with a few other older RPGs and then write a guide on Russian version of gamer reddit to popularize this method, because of how good and at the same time completely unknown it is.

Do you update SFALL after installing Restoration Project? I just used the version it came with, 4.3.3.1 or something.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Do you update SFALL after installing Restoration Project? I just used the version it came with, 4.3.3.1 or something.
Yes, sfall repo has instructions for that. You can update it after installing RPU. Use ddraw.dll (later renamed to ddrawex.dll) from newer sfall, but keep ddraw.ini from the restoration project.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
I've played Olympus, Resurrection and Nevada back to back and here are some write-ups before i forget what's what. Also, Fixt is a mod, Cassidys head is a mod, but these are full-fledged games on the same engine, which do not deserve this derogatory title.

Resurrection is a standard fallout fare. Mostly gang wars and power struggles. Couple of pre-war locations for exploration. Book merchant with unlimited inventory and unlimited money from caravan jobs. You can steal all the shit your heart desires. Also, you can stack chems like in classic Fallouts, so the game is pretty much piss easy. Old character models, mostly recolored, few new weapons and upgrades for each weapon. Few science checks, couple of repair checks, i don't remember doctor or first aid checks, other skills aren't used, fallout engine underutilized, as usual. I mean, you have this unique engine, where you can use any skill or item on any object in game and you barely use this feature. Title says it's Fallout 1.5 and this what it essentially is. Good quality game, mostly more of the same without much imagination.

Olympus is peculiar, has its own lore, some kind of post-apoc dieselpunk. Therefore a lot of new character and weapon models. Quite a few skillchecks. Some hardcore elements like very annoying radiation and permanent stat losses. Merchants are level-scaled. Caravan grinding is an option and you don't get radiation while traveling with caravans. So it is advisable to stick to caravans until lv9, when anti-rad suits will start appearing. Point n'click gameplay is more pronounced here in comparison to Resurrection, which i consider an advantage. Others may argue. Beginning in a vault is a pretty neat idea, after that it boils down to standard fallout questing. Writing is sufficient, nothing fancy. I don't remember much about quests but i finished this game twice in a row so there must be pretty decent variability. The only severe downside of Olympus is a lack of exploration. Almost no pre-war ruins and facilities to explore and the few there are have pretty amateurish layout. The other downside is a corn growing underground, i imagine they use some form of UV lighting.

If Resurrection is Fallout 1.5, then Nevada is Fallout 2.5. It is basically an isometric New Vegas with an abundance of point n click gameplay. Fallout engine utilized to the max, feels almost like an elaborate adventure game. Huge amount of new items and consumables. Insane amount of skillchecks, especially Science, Repair and Doctor. Every item in the game is used in some quest or crafting. Also you'll need Stealth, trust me. This is the first fallout game where i consider taking Gifted a bad choice. You really need all those skills except maybe Gambling and First Aid. Crafting system is similar to NV, which you'll need very, very much, because there are:
- No caravan jobs to grind;
- Number of skillbooks is limited;
- Merchants are few and far between, with a very limited non-leveled inventory;
- No chems stacking;
- You cannot pickpocket expensive shit, ammo or stimpacks, only some beers or flowers. Stealing mostly needed for quests;
- You cannot steal shit from containers without stealth, because each container assigned to some npc;
- You can get infections from animal bites. I didn't fuck around to find out what untreated infection does. Luck and Outdoorsman skill should determine the chance to be infected;
- No power armor until the very end, all the decent gear is locked behind questlines;
Questing, again, mostly gang wars and power play and honestly i'm tired of this. Just let me explore forlorn desolate stuff in the wasteland. Maybe that's why i've played FO4 more than isometric ones combined. Anyway, there are some pre-war places to explore and exploration is top-notch. Nothing comes close to The Glow but still.
Writing is sub-par. My main hope is that in English version it may be more tolerable. Also, quests can be long and intricate, with non-obvious resolution, so one desriptive sentence in journal is not nearly enough. Walkthrough is required if you have a life other than gaming. Another downside is that Nevada clashes with the lore a bit too much. Still it's not as bad as Tactics or F3. The sheer amount of things you can do during quests can be baffling as you don't know what is required of you. For example, you have to make someone drunk so you reverse-pickpocket booze to npc instead of using it on him, and if you have to poison someone it is vice-versa. Also, there's a lot of fun to be had with metal detector with which you can search for mines and caches but it's not obvious which quest requres it and which not. I spent ages looking for something, only to realize i needed that thing all along.
To sum up i'm impressed with Nevada, game mechanics galore, came close to be the ultimate fallout RP experience in my book. I'm yet to try Sonora.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Actually this CNC-ddraw thing is the only utility that manages to launch Icewind Dale 2 without issues for me. I've tried all kinds of stuff before, like DxWnd or DdrawCompat, then upscale with Magpie, and it wouldn't scroll (either with keys or by mouse edge).
With this thing, works great. And I find IWD2 looks best with a CRT shader at 800*600. Shame I couldn't launch it at 1066*600, the "widescreen mod" breaks Cnc, but oh well, still good.

Applied it to Arcanum. CRT shader is unnecessary here, but the Cubic shader for the upscale is great. 1066*600 resolution.

Finally tried Temple, but it came out way after DX7, so no. But Magpie upscales it just fine with FSR. Also 1066*600.

All that, plus a great looking Fallout 2. Now I don't know what to play first.

Jigby

Augur
And I find IWD2 looks best with a CRT shader at 800*600.
My main issue with IWD2 was the fog of war flickering. CRT scanlines should get rid of that, but if one doesn't want the scanlines this de-dithering shader works very well -> https://github.com/ajtos/cnc-ddraw-extra-shaders/blob/main/ddt/ddt-jinc.glsl

By playing around with the "JINC2_WINDOW_SINC" and "JINC2_SINC" parameters, you can get rid of the dithering pattern, which produces the flickering while retaining image sharpness.

Another game that works well is JA2.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I gave up and brought my 22" CRT from another room. It's an instant visual quality upgrade in all games I compared to my LCD setup. Fallout and Temple benefit the most. After comparison, I realize there's just no way to upscale Temple's 3d, heavily aliased models well, but the CRT does it effortlessly.
Arcanum benefits a bit, but the difference is not critical. IWD2 is somewhere in the middle.

086e2a7c023a3cef119050cf1195be4b.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It makes 640*480 look like native resolution. Everything is crisp.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Apparently ReShade can do RetroArch CRT shaders now. Anyone gave it a try? Any success stories?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom