Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Face of Decline - Reddit's Top 25 Games of the 21st Century

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Over the past week, a Reddit user started a popularity contest in which people get to pick the 25 "best" games of the 21st Century.

The rules used where very simple:
  • Over the course of 5 polls, people nominate the games they deem worthy.
  • The games with the most positive votes in each of the polls make the cut.
The result is... welll, see for yourself and place your bets on number 1.

Most-Upvoted.png

grimace

Arcane
Is Knights of the Old Republic the oldest game on this list?

And Baldur's Gate 3? Haha!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Less bad than I would have expected, though even in a poll limited to the last 23 years there's a recency bias, so that Morrowind was excluded while two inferior games built on the same engine are included. :M

Chuck Norris

Augur
Over the past week, a Reddit user started a popularity contest in which people get to pick the 25 "best" games of the 21st Century.

Most-Upvoted.png
I know Reddit is shit and all, but as far as these kinds of lists go, this is a decent one.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am surprised that there are no mainstream JPRGs, like FF, Persona or similar. There is a selection of western RPG instead.

Zlaja

Arcane
Morrowind > Skyrim
Bioshock 2 > Bioshock 1
Demon's Souls > Dark Souls
Bloodborne > Elden Ring
Mass Effect 1 & 3 > Mass Effect 2

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Even by Reddit standards this is terrible. Nu-God of War instead of one of the originals?

Spike

Educated

Most-Upvoted.png
I really hate you for making this thread Sigourn and I hate myself for clicking on it. The moment I clicked to open the image I contracted an ocular melanoma.

It's not the worst I've seen. Compare to IGN's top 100 of all time.

It’s almost exactly the same list when you drop the non 21st century titles from the their 2021 all-time list. Would probably even look a little more like it if it was just 21st century specific, since they’re probably still put a Mario in, but wouldn’t be able to pick all the 20th century ones they did.

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Portal 2
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Half-Life 2
6. Disco Elysium
7. GTA5
8. Hades
9. Halo 2
10. Witcher 3
11. The Last of Us
12. BioShock
13. Bloodborne
14. Undertake
15. Portal
16. God of War 2018
17. Half-Life: Alyx
18. MGS3 Snake Eater
19. Final Fantasy 14
20. Halo
21. Minecraft
22. Civilization 4
23. Last of Us 2
24. Shadow of the Colossus
25. Resident Evil 4 (2005)

9ted6

Educated
It's not the worst I've seen. Compare to IGN's top 100 of all time.

It’s almost exactly the same list when you drop the non 21st century titles from the their 2021 all-time list. Would probably even look a little more like it if it was just 21st century specific, since they’re probably still put a Mario in, but wouldn’t be able to pick all the 20th century ones they did.

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Portal 2
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Red Dead Redemption 2
5. Half-Life 2
6. Disco Elysium
7. GTA5
8. Hades
9. Halo 2
10. Witcher 3
11. The Last of Us
12. BioShock
13. Bloodborne
14. Undertake
15. Portal
16. God of War 2018
17. Half-Life: Alyx
18. MGS3 Snake Eater
19. Final Fantasy 14
20. Halo
21. Minecraft
22. Civilization 4
23. Last of Us 2
24. Shadow of the Colossus
25. Resident Evil 4 (2005)
I'm surprised it's normie slop mixed with virtue signalling and not the hipsterist Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Bros being on top thing IGN used to do unless you took those off.

A few of those are alright though. Also shocked that Elden Ring, Fallout 4 and Skyrim aren't in the top 25.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Yeah, I was expecting far, far worse from Reddit.

They actually put multiple hypothetically "perfect" games on there, like Halo 3, Resident Evil 4, and Bioshock. Not 10/10, since no game is, but within the scope of their own existence and what they were trying to accomplish? I would label them "perfect".

Obviously, between Dark Souls and Elden Ring, I would have chosen one over the other. Not only because it's cringe to put two games by one developer in there, but because one wouldn't exist without the other. Either pay proper homage to what Dark Souls achieved both culturally and mechanically and put it on there, or admit that Elden Ring is the zenith of the same formula established 10 years ago (I disagree) and place your bets that it will age better than it (that remains to be seen). Personally, I'd've gone with Dark Souls. (And yes, that is a real contraction, fuck you.)

As an aside, I find it interesting that there is a game that is not technically a "finished" product on this list, Minecraft, and yet they did not specify which version they consider to be GOTC...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This looks like a hyper-normie list for Reddit's core audience of late 20s-mid 30s.

Utterly predictable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom