Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Exoplanet: First Contact - a space western action-RPG - now available on Early Access

CSH Picone

Educated
Hey guys, I imagine the 5-6 years' development time must be fairly disheartening but I've been playing the game recently and I can tell you they're still working on it. There's been a few updates just in the time I've been playing and it seems to be coming along nicely.

If you want to know more about the current state of the game, the team leader talks about it in this interview:
https://www.cshpicone.com/gaming/interviews/alersteam

Jinn

Arcane
BIG update on this today, and the first in quite a long time. Really glad they continue to plug away at it. Sounds like they added some new members to the team too. Would really like to play a finished Exoplanet someday.

1f670b55bdd301fab321b06dcf27afad15c1e17c_960x311.jpg

MAJOR UPDATE
POSTED
Wed, October 27
MAJOR UPDATE 'THE EDGE'
Brand new version of Exoplanet with new location and content

Hey folks! There were no news from us for quite some time but we were testing the new version of Exoplanet, gathering feedback and updating the testing build. And today we would like to show you the result.

wQnDG00.gif

The new build replaced the old version, though it is still available in a different branch if you’d like to try it: right click on Exoplanet in your Library -> Properties -> Betas -> choose ‘legacy’ (no password required).

924cebff54c6ecdf37d2e9ffdf74be959d92a90c.png

It is worth mentioning that some good ideas will be reworked for the new builds, so let us know if you have favorite quests, characters, areas or anything else—we’ll consider your feedback. As for the rest, press 'F' to pay respects.

y92LJUE.gif

From now on, we are going to make updates and news frequently. We changed our approach to the development and are keen to fix such a pesky issue as a lack of conversation with our community. I will tell you more about everything in the end of this post and will try to answer some questions you might have. But let us start with a changelog for the new update.

So, what can you find in the new version of the game?

There are a lot of changes, and it is much better to see them with your own eyes, especially if you tried the old version to see the difference. I’ll try to mention the most important things. Keep in mind, there are some placeholders and bugs, please report everything whether you have a blocker, low FPS or encountered a visual issue.

At the moment there’s a relatively small location with a complex multilayer design, mostly created with new assets. That’s the place where Jack's adventure begins, and here you can get an idea about the world of K’Tharsis and its harsh laws.

475d1d45217a2e613ca28b343f6235b06f39fb35.jpg

ENGINE

As you may know, our project is developing with our custom built engine called Sahara, and it was significantly improved. Now it supports a great deal of state-of-the-art techniques and effects like SSAO and HDR.

ZSW7yEt.gif

We also added such features as PBR and IBL. They allow us to achieve realistic picture, reflecting light from assets’ surface depending on its material. In order to do that, we had to rework all the existing assets. A huge amount of work which is almost finished with the help of freelancers.

5a2ec1f427eac8092b4dde40e021533bf7f9323f.jpg

VISUALS

We put a lot of time to create a brand new system for day-night cycle. Now our sky is a bunch of layers where every layer is responsible for certain things (positions of sun and moons, clouds, lighting etc) and takes into account each other’s effects and priorities. Also, we added volumetric fog, and we can change its altitude and density.

b6e6a31566910ba7fe961b8506f4e1d4cbf5eee4.jpg

With this system we can easily create new weather effects (rain, sandstorm etc) or a certain atmosphere for certain areas.

GAMEPLAY

There’s a basic role-playing system in the game now, and Jack can master lock picking, speechcraft and other valuable skills. Of course, he has to find a teacher and pay for that first. Nothing comes for free. All these skills will affect your quests’ walkthroughs.

4c0ab19aef3847addc03463353728b740df41caa.jpg

Almost every quest in the game is new. We reworked our quest and dialogue systems to improve them. These technologies now support non-linearity and other complex but awesome mechanics we can add to quests.

fefSrCQ.gif

Also, we created our own cutscene editor. We believe it will help us to improve game’s narrative and emphasize some details important for quests. You can already find the very first testing cutscenes in the build. They are drafts without a sound yet but we will improve it.

72b5ff644d76a7de333e521beba73b77684a0c8a.png

We made a brand new AI system and transferred every single NPC to it. This way we can create new behavior patterns now. Also, we improved NPCs’ navigation with navpoints. That’s the very first step to create a full-fledged schedule for NPCs.

gNRheCs.gif

Another important change is modular weapons. Every weapon used to be a whole asset, now it is a composite mechanism where every element has its own parameters. This way we can make a proper crafting and customization, giving each NPC a unique weapon which is more suitable to its status. Also, now weapons take into account owner skills when used.

270a7bfe87a0a5e5baa2c74ea85220a37f365906.jpg

Jack also mastered a few new tricks like climbing and carrying dead bodies or captured NPCs—a really useful thing if you need to hide a body or deliver a criminal alive.

q1Zof2J.gif

He can also scan objects to learn the world around him, adding notes to his journal, or examine potential enemies. This function is not completed yet and will be significantly improved.

QdLDxz0.gif

SOUND

We reworked a great deal of old sounds, there are no stock ones now. Also, we've created brand new music tracks for The Edge and are working now on new pieces.

That’s just a small amount of changes from the new build, it is better to learn about the rest in the game. Do not forget to share your feedback with us. It is better to do that in our Discord channel. This will help us to make the game better.

U2ASLGN.gif

HOW WE WORK ON THE GAME NOW AND WHAT TO EXPECT

As I promised, I’ll try to tell you about our new development principles and answer some important questions you might have.

Why abandon the old version?

Exoplanet development started as a hobby, we put our own money into the development, working on full-time jobs. There were no business plans, no deadlines or any budget, the development was chaotic. And the result of that was the old location with a lot of issues and mistakes (big empty areas, flawed assets, bad level design decisions). Now, with proper planning, we won’t let that happen once again.

19b6982fe22618e459e3198dbe33b48f7186f4be.png

What did you change in the development process?

Now we have stable project financing, it allowed us to start real commercial development about a year ago. And we are doing our best to increase our pace.

First of all, we've created a complete storyflow for the game. It was used to plan the amount of content, pipelines and deadlines. In order to match them we started to work full-time and significantly expanded our team, focusing on creating content while outsourcing other tasks.

yf1KCQj.gif

With pipelines we managed to establish quests production. We are working on new quests and reworking the old ones with new mechanics, and some of them are almost ready. This will allow us to constantly add new content with every update.

Is it a completely new game now?

The principles and pillars are the same. That’s just a brand new location with significant progress compared to the old build.

ac42cb733573bd3de1ce42ec3fea7da8ff28599f.jpg

How come you didn’t post any updates for a long time?

We were really focused on the game, trying to build a team, to plan everything, to establish business processes, there was no time and no spare hands to do that. We understand that this is not how it should be and we’ll do our best to hire someone who can keep you posted about the development. It is better to join our Discord, though. It was recently updated, and we are going to post unique content there, share regular news about the development, screenshots etc.

KDxtLOr.gif

I hope this will help you to understand what’s going on with the project. Feel free to ask any questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Thank you very much for your patience, we really appreciate your support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks for update, guys, I'd totally miss it. Seemed like the project was having problems - not many updates about the closed beta. Great they are still working on it. I already completed Piranha Bytes entire catalogue and while replays are always an option, new games in this style are always welcome. Elex 2 can't do all the work.

Codex Year of the Donut
I played this a couple years ago and had fun. Janky as hell and unfinished, but had a lot of charm. Hope they finish it.

Guess I'll download this build and do a mini-review based on what I remember because they've changed a lot since then.

Jinn

Arcane
I played this a couple years ago and had fun. Janky as hell and unfinished, but had a lot of charm. Hope they finish it.

It also mentions in the update there that they have received funding, so they can focus on the game full-time again, instead of working jobs and doing it on the side. They must have picked up a publisher or something, so chances of this getting finished eventually just rose greatly.

Jinn

Arcane
I have a pretty strict rule about not buying Early Access titles unless it's from a developer I trust, but I'm considering finally getting this. I've been watching this fairly closely for many years now. I really want these guys to succeed, and despite them definitely not delivering anywhere close to when they promised in their kickstarter, they really have stuck with it and been good about communicating with their community.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh I was just looking at this and wondering when they're gonna update.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have a pretty strict rule about not buying Early Access titles unless it's from a developer I trust, but I'm considering finally getting this. I've been watching this fairly closely for many years now. I really want these guys to succeed, and despite them definitely not delivering anywhere close to when they promised in their kickstarter, they really have stuck with it and been good about communicating with their community.
I would be happy if it's 15 to 20 hours half the size of gothic 1 but with well made content and scratch thqt PB itch even it's just a little.

And maybe there's still hope for insomnia: the ark too

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fuck, this looks so good. I really hope they can deliver on the concept even if the end result's janky. That Gothic-like simulated world itch can never be scratched enough.

Also, is that Tom Cruise as the main character?
1f670b55bdd301fab321b06dcf27afad15c1e17c_960x311.jpg

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/531660/view/3131686681098393575

Hey folks!
As you know, we have released a major update last month with a brand new version of the game. We are very grateful for your feedback and are very excited to continue our work. And here's another update. As it was promised we are going to make updates more regularly, probably monthly. Thus, we will do our best to make another update before the Christmas. Now, to the changelog.

CHANGELOG

GAMEPLAY

As you may know, we are fond of interesting quests and are willing to create a few different ways to solve them, using different playstyles. You can trick NPCs, pick locks, use environment to your advantage, be a smooth talker or complete tasks with a mere force. Today we are adding another valuable mechanic, and it is the very first iteration of STEALTH.

a5bb36f39353be51ed6074d30df49aa9d58bb4bb.png

Now you can crouch ('C' button), sneak and finish your enemies ('R' button) without bringing a lot of attention. We are going to use this stealth option for the new quests and probably will update a few old ones. Of course, since it is the very first iterations, there will be issues. Please report everything, and we will improve the system.

7420af7843d0843ce4670c284296dcb3ff42a10c.jpg

QUESTS

There are two new quests in the game, Crucases' Fat and Erik Craven. The last one is a bounty hunt where you have to handle the whole gang. Perhaps, you can use stealth to eliminate some of the bandits to get an advantage.

4c9181ea1424453b8844cee03018f1599518b3f8.png

From now on, dialogues has automatic camera. This is just a very first step to improve players' experience, and we will improve this feature over time.

We have also added a few cutscenes to the game. They are also not final but it is always important to take a look at these cutscenes in-game to make them better. And we will.

LEVEL DESIGN

We've updated the area with the camp where Erik and his gang are resting.

We have also updated a few other areas on The Edge like the Scalphunter's Camp, for example.

0ac0a6ab9bb79fcdea86632fddf5ad2b7d0492f1.png

SOUND

There are a lot of SFX improvements: sounds for hitting and looting, dragging a body, shooting bottles etc. Also, the game plays different sounds of your steps if you are walking on different surfaces: sand, soil, rock, metal etc.

813f48a82363f3a3aabde230c895f28a87d37f1c.png

ASSETS

We have updated A.N.N.A.'s model. It is not yet ready, we are still experimenting with her look to find a perfect balance between a human and a fractured hologram.

Another large piece of work is migration characters' outfits to PBR, which was partially made in the last update. But it is time to review the work and to improve the result. It will help us to raise the quality of characters which will be even better visible in cutscenes with close shots.

f0a226c3e6408f8aa69fcb3b81482e94688938e8.png

OTHER

There was a great deal of bugs we fixed, of course. But please report if you face any issue. You can do that in our Discord channel[discord.me]. That's it for now, thanks for your support, follow the game to keep yourself updated.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wow the development is really getting started. i guess the money injection give devs enough time instead of part time hustling. and it's a sign that dev really cares

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
These guys are punching so well above their paygrade that you have to commend them.

I don't regret giving these guys $15 like 6 years ago.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tried out the new build, last time I played it was years ago. Pretty good, this will probably be my game of the whatever year it releases.
Actually kinda sad they decided to just scrap the old area as I remembering liking it. Had lots of exploration and hidden stuff. Hope most of the designs make it back into the game.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'll break my feedback up into multiple posts piecing it back together with notes I took while playing
20211129230025-1.jpg

It's a title menu. I hope you've seen one before.
Options:
20211129230030-1.jpg

20211129230032-1.jpg

20211129230033-1.jpg

Fairly standard stuff. Eventually turned the FOV up to 90 because it felt too cramped.

Okay, onto the game itself!
20211129230052-1.jpg

First loading screen. This is voiced, but it loaded too fast and I only heard a few words and didn't have time to read it.
20211129230200-1.jpg

The game begins with the camera centered on our protagonist, who doesn't seem to be doing too well.
20211129230205-1.jpg

A kid to the face made it run, but this place sure doesn't seem friendly.
20211129230248-1.jpg

I have a broken AI stuck in my head, great.
20211129230319-1.jpg

Dialogue & dialogue options
20211129230436-1.jpg

Clicking the little blue button under the dialogue selection opens your dialogue history
20211129230439-1.jpg

You start the game off by selecting a bit about your background to get some starter skills.

[MISSING SCREENSHOT]
I found my gun, it was broken. I picked it up anyways. Maybe I'll use it later?

20211129230638-1.jpg

Wandered around a bit until I found a camp. Doesn't seem this guy made it. Has some dirty water on him, going to take the hint to not drink that stuff.
20211129230700-1.jpg

Note on the table.
20211129230708-1.jpg

Note to self: The natives don't seem to be very proficient in technology.
20211129230726-1.jpg

Harsh desert winds
20211129230747-1.jpg

You have a shortrange scanner that can highlight objects, it costs energy to use.
FYI, look at my health. It does not regenerate.
20211129230754-1.jpg

Unidentified items
20211129230835-1.jpg

Well, I'm glad this is dead already. Time to move on.
20211129230847-1.jpg

You can interact with a lot of the environment to scavenge for stuff.
20211129231042-1.jpg

I found a friendly native.
20211129231135-1.jpg

"Evil machines, spirits" huh?
20211129231314-1.jpg

Probably should have done this earlier, but here's my character sheet. Could be bigger. FYI, my resolution is at 1440p, images are downscaled for forum purposes.
Interesting to note are the different types of damage(Blunt, piercing, slashing), food, water, sleep.
20211129231321-1.jpg

Hover over things for a tooltip, could probably be a bit more obvious as nothing suggests there's a tooltip like a highlight or something.
20211129231427-1.jpg

I was given a mission by my new friend to collect some meat and melons. Onward to victory!
There are no quest markers, btw. I don't even have a map... yet.
20211129231530-1.jpg

I found a new plant. My AI told me about it, my glossary updated, and I got XP for it.
20211129231537-1.jpg

Plant tooltip
[MISSING SCREENSHOT]
I ate the plant and got a one-time XP bonus for it.
20211129231833-1.jpg

This is the closest I have to a screenshot of the campfire, which I meant to screenshot. You can light it with some sticks(I have some in my inventory, see later screenshot.) I assume you can use it to cook food, or perhaps purify water.
20211129231900-1.jpg

More dust storms. Again, note my HP, I ate a blood root but it doesn't heal much, just slowly over time. Healing is hard to come by, it seems.
20211129231947-1.jpg

[SEMI-MISSING SCREENSHOT]
I right-clicked on the unidentified cereal from earlier and clicked 'identify', I suppose I succeeded. This was the result.
20211129232009-1.jpg

Again, semi-missing screenshot due to steam's screenshotter seeming to close the right-click menu. There was an option to break down the stick into firewood.
20211129232302-1.jpg

I managed to jump up onto the wreckage... I don't think I was supposed to get up here.
20211129232355-1.jpg

Found a melon, they did not highlight and were difficult to find.
20211129232406-1.jpg

20211129232617-1.jpg

Good to know.
20211129232827-1.jpg

'M' opens the map. I do not have a map.
20211129232928-1.jpg

Er... desert melon?
20211129232930-1.jpg

Ah, that must be why it didn't highlight. It doesn't seem to have a model? Took me a good bit of time to find all of them.
Back to my new friend!
20211129233112-1.jpg

After conversing for a while, it turns out he can teach me about lockpicking if I have a SP(Skill Point?) and some supplies. Reminds me of PB games.

Break after intro+first mission.

Codex Year of the Donut
Going to have to cut this short unless I can figure out the cause of my bug. I got further but all the textures started going black. There actually were a few prior to this, but I just didn't pay attention to them.
e.g., the locked container in this screenshot
20211129231321-1.jpg

Going through the screenshots, I can see increasingly more things turning black. Funny that I didn't notice it until it got pretty bad.

...but now about half my textures are black, including my outfit :M
[edit]
looks like it's possibly just an nvidia issue

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom