Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EXODUS - Sci-Fi Action-Adventure RPG with Time Dilation from James Ohlen's Archetype Entertainment

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

The lead designer of Baldur's Gate joined Wizards of the Coast to make a Mass Effect-like? Well, I guess he couldn't make Baldur's Gate 3.

Looks like all garbage sci/fi shows and movies of the last decade blended together into one big unappealing mess. Insterstelar meets nu-Star Trek meets Moonfall meets all the other garbage.

Imagine leaving Bioware, a studio that's for years been after interactive Hollywood action movies with barebones RPG features -- only to form a new studio doing the exact same thing. And inevitably also directly competing with it to boot...

Despite BG hardly being a harcore RPG, there's been conflict at Bioware even way back, of course. About whether D&D and D&D-like systems would be too complex for a mass audience. Whether any kind of form of tactical combat would be too crunchy. Where table-top-style storytelling would still fit into this. After all, DA Origins was initially pitched as a "back to the roots" project... barely half a decade after the first copies of BG1 had been sold FFS. But yeah. This looks like Mass Effect 2.0 so far.

Swen Vincke likes this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:deathclaw:

Ah yes, an augmented pig. That's how I would lead my marketing on my super cool, mega budget space scifi RPG.
The Babe reference produces good feelings in elder Millennials such as myself. The trailer itself, eh....

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Why did WotC create a new IP when they already own a bunch, as recounted here: http://www.tsrarchive.com/

They own Star Frontiers and Star*Drive, among others. Why make a new IP when they can revive those and same themselves effort on worldbuilding? SD even teased a third galactic war in its final supplement, The Externals.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The year is 2023.

All you have to do is put up a bullet list of the most mundane worldbuilding points. Bonus for having absolutely no sense of scale.

• Earth is dying?!!
  • 1000 trillion gazillion years later!
  • Wow omergerhd, transhuman societies named after angels, hecking awesume! Biblical refences, in mah vidya games?!!
  • Ancient artififaccts, we've never had those before!
  • Vague, possibly world-ending virus called "the Rot." It'd be cooler if we call it the Corruption, or the Darkspawn, or the Flood!

Let me fucking write down these absolute cosmic brain ideas for later.

1702359850727.png

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg

TOM VARGAS​

Charming rogue, lean and handsome, he suffered extensive experimentation by an enemy military.

Over the next ten years he traveled across the Centauri Cluster working as part of the crew on a variety of different missions. He learned to fight when his crew was killed, then on a routine delivery to Lidon, he met and bonded with other Travelers, convincing Tom to stay in Persepolis. This was the beginning of his transition to becoming a Traveler.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
The year is 2023.

All you have to do is put up a bullet list of the most mundane worldbuilding points. Bonus for having absolutely no sense of scale.

• Earth is dying?!!
  • 1000 trillion gazillion years later!
  • Wow omergerhd, transhuman societies named after angels, hecking awesume! Biblical refences, in mah vidya games?!!
  • Ancient artififaccts, we've never had those before!
  • Vague, possibly world-ending virus called "the Rot." It'd be cooler if we call it the Corruption, or the Darkspawn, or the Flood!

Let me fucking write down these absolute cosmic brain ideas for later.

View attachment 44523
Hence why I’m mystified that they didn’t use Star Frontiers or Star*Drive. The premises aren’t avant-garde, but why make a new IP when you can use one you already own? Do the idiots running this company into the ground simply not know they own these IPs due to decades of employee turnover? I find that hard to believe when they bothered to revive dead settings like Spelljammer, Planescape, and Dark Sun.

This shit is why we need to reduce copyright lengths to 20 years. These companies don’t give a crap about their IPs and thus don’t deserve to own said IPs. Let the fans preserve it and keep it alive rather than rot away in copyright jail.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I did some more research. Apparently Ohlen demanded full creative control over an original IP as a condition of his contract with WotC. Comparing what's been revealed so far with the dozen or so books released for Star*Drive, I think it was a waste. SD is hardly avant-garde, but it has all the tropes and tools that he'd need to tell similar stories to what he seemingly intends.

To whit:
  • Earth isn't dead, but it and most inhabited planets within a couple hundred light years are covered in crowded megalopolises comparable to Coruscant or 40k hiveworlds. The official population estimate of inhabited space is a few trillion people, so there's the lack of scale!
  • The year is 2500-ish, but there's millions of years of backstory involving precursors fighting precursor wars. There's over 50 intelligent species within 1000 ly of Earth! Including the very much real Roswell Grays!
  • Psionics, cyberware, and mutations are all accepted facets of the setting. The Second Galactic War started when mutant riots got out of control. No Bible references, unfortunately. But apparently demons are real. One of the precursor races, the stoneburners, summoned demons to defend certain outposts. Archaeologists call them "dimensional horrors", but they're basically demons.
  • Tons of ancient artifacts from the precursors, supporting a thriving black market. Also, ruins may have various deadly security systems and leftover bioweapons to worry about.
  • No world-ending viruses exactly, but the Exeat (the setting's villains) are basically a mix of the Goa'uld, Wraith and Vanir from Stargate, the Yuzhan Vong from Star Wars, the Covenant from Halo, the aliens from XCOM, the Darkness from Destiny, and whatever other villainous alliances from scifi you could care to name. They have psychic powers, conventional tech, biotech, enslaved zerg, and their leaders are trying to release the setting's equivalent of the Great Old Ones from their prison.
It even has the slower-than-light travel in the form of the Medurr, a race of... they're basically the Scarrans from Farscape except that they have to travel slower-than-light on sleeper ships and connect the planets of their empire with stargates. In one of the tie-in novels, first contact with them is shown. One of their sleeper ships was plundered by salvagers on the frontier, which woke them up and they started bringing in reinforcement using their on-ship stargate a la EVE Online.

Also, the setting's equivalent of the internet doesn't allow instantaneous communication across interstellar space due to limitations of the setting's hyperspace. Information cannot travel faster than 11 hours, regardless of the actual space traversed. For matter, this time is squared (121 hours). To get around this, "gridrunners" use AI assistants based on their personalities, known as "shadows", to perform web searches on their behalf.

There's a much larger galaxy teased in the last supplement, The Externals, but the line was canceled in 2000 before the writers could explore it. For examples of how advanced and crazy civilizations could get, one had invented implants that could teleport you across interstellar space and put these implants inside the bodies of their exiled criminals, and these exiles inspired the legend of the Men In Black on numerous planets. It's not 40k level, but they only had two years to develop it. Imagine where they'd be now if they weren't canceled.

The writers for Star*Drive really covered their bases here. It's really quite fascinating (and prophetic) for a series of obscure rpg books written from 1998-2000. I'd think most companies trying their hands at scifi would be absolutely salivating to get their hands on this IP. This little forgotten IP that was canceled due to poor sales puts most modern IPs to shame.

Although I doubt WotC tried showing him the IPs they had available (and probably had no idea they owned these) and letting him go through them before accepting his original IP stipulation. I can't read his mind, but if I were Ohlen then I'd be absolutely salivating over using this fascinating little IP.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

The lead designer of Baldur's Gate joined Wizards of the Coast to make a Mass Effect-like? Well, I guess he couldn't make Baldur's Gate 3.

Looks like all garbage sci/fi shows and movies of the last decade blended together into one big unappealing mess. Insterstelar meets nu-Star Trek meets Moonfall meets all the other garbage.

Same energy

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

How does time dilation set Exodus apart from Mass Effect? It "supersizes all of the choices that you make"

Archetype hint at the narrative implications of relativistic effects

Key art for Exodus, showing a human woman and a man and a humanoid alien staring offscreen grandly. They all look like total dorks. Image credit: Wizards of the Coast

Edwin Evans-Thirlwell avatar

News by Edwin Evans-Thirlwell News Editor

Published on Dec. 13, 2023

Revealed during last week's Geoffening, Exodus is the first game from Archetype Entertainment, a new studio that includes former members of BioWare and Naughty Dog. It's a sci-fi odyssey with third-person shooting that looks and sounds a lot like Mass Effect, but it has one differentiating Big Idea (aside from Matthew McConaughey): time dilation, whereby time passes different in different places, depending on relative velocity and local gravity.

As I wrote in a very reachy piece about Starfield's universal and local clocks, way back in August, time dilation is a fascinating concept that poses all sorts of challenges for game designers, extending from questions of plotting to the practicalities of quests and resourcing. For example: if time dilation is a factor, flying back to a solar system in a faster-than-light vessel to polish off sidequests might see thousands of years passing on the planets in question. I am a very indecisive and absent-minded player: am I going to relegate generations of NPCs to the ashes, because I can't remember which world has the store that sells that weapon attachment I've been saving up for?

Most sci-fi games sidestep such issues by introducing made-up magic technologies, or just throwing up their hands and pretending that time dilation isn't real. So how much will Exodus really lean into it? Will the effects be carefully stage-managed at the level of chapters and cutscenes, with specific choices advancing the clock in predetermined ways, or will the game try its hand at something like a full-blown relativistic simulation? It's hard to say, this close to announcement, but the developers have dropped a few hints in between the grander promises.

According to Archetype co-founder and studio head James Ohlen, whose previous credits include design lead for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the "gameplay setting and story" are "built around the impact of Time Dilation, a concept I've been fascinated with since I was 12 years old."

In a comment on the official Exodus site, he added that "we use Time Dilation as a catalyst impacting the choices you make in-game that sets in motion events affecting your relationships with your loved ones, and your entire civilization, for generations."

The press release explains that "decades" will indeed pass while you're embarked on interstellar missions. It notes that "the sacrifices you make to protect your loved ones create unpredictable consequences that change your world - reshaping the future. Returning home, you confront the consequences of your choices. In Exodus, the outcome of those choices manifests at a massive level, compounding over generations."

Ohlen has said a bit more to Polygon on the subject. "[Time dilation] essentially supersizes all of the choices that you make," he said. "Instead of seeing the consequences of a choice you make in conversation or in gameplay, you know, days later, or weeks or months later, years or even decades later, you'll see the impact. The choice you made with, say, bringing a remnant technology back with you, or how you decided to use that tech. You're going to have all sorts of twists and turns, and family dynamics that just get really weird. You have some children, and you go off, and it's been a month for you, but 30 years for them. And they're like, 'What the fuck, dad?'"

He added that certain side characters might reappear from generation to generation, presumably because they've also been gadding about on faster-than-light ships. "A favourite companion might show up, even though a game takes place 5,000 years in the future... It allows us to tell a coherent story with companions with [their own] arcs. It is a bit complex, but it's something that we've already struggled with, and we figured out what the plan is moving forward." The characters most affected by time dilation in Exodus are the Celestials, an enemy (or are they?) faction of former humans, who fled a dying Earth shortly before you did, and have evolved into different species over thousands of years while you've been catching up with them.

And that's your lot for the minute, unless there's a tell-all interview I've missed. One way in which Exodus could keep the effects of time dilation in hand is by limiting chapters to specific planets, with each intervening jump to lightspeed advancing the story by millennia, rather than doing a Mass Effect and letting you roam a whole galaxy as you please before triggering the next plot development. I can't see how this production would be practical, otherwise, though I'd love Archetype to incorporate a little of the madness of Relative Hell. Also, can we expect a McConaughey crying scene? And why does everybody in the key art above look like such a dork?

This, and Clockwork Revolution, are the only CRPG's that I feel intrigued about a modicum.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
They should've led with innovative features like relativistic effects on c&c, rather than a lame trailer and a render of a pig.

Slight interest +1

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
They should've led with innovative features like relativistic effects on c&c, rather than a lame trailer and a render of a pig.

Slight interest +1
I think they’re hugely over-promising and the end result will be disappointing. Most likely the time dilation will be used to separate the major acts of the plot and you’ll see the longterm impact of a handful of decisions immediately. You’d get the same result from an immortal protagonist who leapfrogs through time.

This neatly destroys any chances of sequels, tho. I wonder if that played a role in his decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom