Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Isn't there an extra immersive emote to help with early levels?
/beg?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
My buddy hit me up and told me he was going to try to work on the EQ server this weekend. I'll update as things are relayed to me.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lv 14 now. But IDK where to go now. In west karana, leveling there is ATROCIOUS. With enemies surprizing me and only greens/reds to find at lv 14. Far worse than east commonlands. Going to erud, is also really bad. I'm KoS there and can't fight city guards as an low level necromancer. And I died 3 times in west karana and gave up in finding any corpse there. Every time that I'm close, something bad happens and I die again.

VhODhfU.png

But an question. Which places I will be KoS as an necromancer?

If I knew that I could pick an ship and go to ocean of tears and then to butcherblock mouintains, I would have started in Freeport...

But I think that farming here is the less awful.

Other thing.

How can I put the /book again in my UI??

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Faction in EQ is too complicated for me to really tell you where you would be KOS, especially since I haven't played a necro since 2004. As a nigger necro I don't remember being KOS in too many places. Just parts of Freeport and Firiona Vie off the top of my head.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I think at 14 you have a choice between orcs in the Oasis of Mar or Unrest as the two best spots for your level. If you aren't too high for it, derv camps in Northern Ro or the commonlands might be an option too. You will need to join a group for any of those spots. Except for maybe the orcs.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem is going from Qeynos to there. NOrthern Ro is too hard to reach from here. I already died a couple of times in west karana. But now I have gather shadows, can I go to Freeport with gather shadows from qeynos safely?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Invis tends to randomly drop in EQ so I don't want to say you can make it safely, but there are no mobs that see invis between Qeynos and Freeport as long as you take the route that goes through High Pass instead of the other route. The other route is full of undead who will see through your invis. If you are on the blue server I could log onto my druid and port you there but I think you're playing on green?

You could also stay in Blackburrow for a while longer. I think I stayed there doing the gnoll fang quest chain until I was 17 on my monk. I think there are mobs that go all the way up to 20 there.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Necros are not KS anywhere I think, you'll just get merchants that wont trade. Your race is more important, Iksars killed on sight in most oldschool towns. Goodies hate the darkies, etc. There are a few dangerous spots though as a Necro. Like some of your spells I think you can only buy them in Neriak. As a Dark Elf you would be welcomed but many races are kos and you have to invis all the way to the guy. Some races are dubious ok all the way to the guy but then there's one wandering badass who is a different faction and can gank you. Pays to use invis and con everything.

Qeynos is nice to start and Blackburrow is cool. But the Karanas are kinda shit, I always found them far too big so it takes too long to get around. Good for kiting but it's better having high density of mobs in a small space so you can sit and farm. Although there are some individual NPCs in W Karana you can easily gank as a Necro and make great xp. I just forgot the name of the first one. It's in the houses near your zoneline. It was yellow con to me but I could gank it easily and it gave really good xp. Then it respawns every 8 minutes or something so you can just stand there and get easy xp. And in the 30s you can do the McMannus brothers and their dog.

Invis is great but yea it breaks randomly so you have to plan a route where you can run from safe space to safe space and recast it if you need it. Also avoid undead, they can see through it, there's a different invis for them. Con stuff while invis to check. It would be best to get someone to just port you though, from Qeynos to wherever you want to go instantly! The newbie areas are usually good upto about 15 but then it can be a struggle finding the next place. I usually go to Unrest or somewhere like that. Make sure you re-bind when you go somewhere new or you have to do the journey all over again!

At sometime in the 20s I would go to OOT and on Sister island is a bunch of elf chicks and I would slaughter them. It was good xp and they dropped items that you could sell for great money. I think there was even a merchant on the island you could sell it to. You can do this again in Misty Thicket at level 30 something. The guards in Highkeep from 40+. I think those few zones got me the whole way. The basement is great too sometime in 20s. There is a high zone exp modifier in there though so you might not get the place to yourself.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow that Unreal version looks amazing. I wish someone could fund a team of people to populate that version properly, but I know it would never happen.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Talked to my buddy today about the server. He got it set up, but has to resolve some network issues before it can go live.

On the P99 servers there's a guild called "Dial a port", you can do a /whoall dial to see who is online from the guild, send them a tell and they'll teleport you so you don't have to spend all that time taking boats.

Magnum

Novice
Pardon the double post but I just remembered that this Youtube channel has some videos of in-era footage (2001 ish).
Hes playing a Halfling Cleric.

And here is a video of an in-era raid (2001 ish) on Sleepers Tomb by <Conquest>
It's just a classic video the old guys like.

Here are two in-era websites for nostalgia, one is a french-english site that tracks the early days of the game (1999 through 2001 ish)

https://uenaelar.forumauberge.com/us_index.htm

The other is a guild website that is still up. Most of the links still work. *Last updated: 2000-09-16

http://familletaussig.org/~rulnak/Council.html

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lvl 19 in Oasis

Jn9KPEf.png

So I will ask more questions :
  • In live, I specialized in alteration. Should I specialize in alteration in p99 too?
  • Any way to avoid ambushes while playing in FP in open fields?
  • Does the DoTs of the same line stack in p99? Can I throw ignite blood + heat blood + boil blood in a single enemy?
  • Does the same applies to "lich" spells? Can I throw pact of dead + allure of death at the same time?
  • Intensify death requires research. I have read in wikia but din't understood exactly how I research. Any guide?
  • Is Befallen a good place to level up? I'm getting tired of this Oasis and never liked much deserts.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
  • Yeah stick with Alteration, your big spells at high levels use that.

• Avoiding ambushes in first person is hard, you gotta keep whipping the camera around to look behind you and keep good awareness. That's why it's good to find an area with no mobs to pull to, most zones have a corner or somewhere with no mobs or maybe just one. If you set up camp there and pull everything to that spot, it is a lot safer. It also gives you time to learn the zone and the pathing. Like in Oasis I know from memory that there's a huge named crock called Lockjaw that wanders along the whole coastline. So people who camp at the dock are risking getting eaten by him, and Cazel and some other nasty shit wanders close to there too. The other side of the zone is risky too, it's like a highway of Orcs. But if you go the lake in the middle, on the side near the ocean is a little camp of NPCs. I think none of them were aggro. I used to set up camp next to the lake there, nothing wanders through there, so I could run around and grab crocks or whatever and pull them back there to gank with my pet.

• Same line of DoTs wont stack. But you'll get plenty of different ones as a Necro, diseases, poison, magic, etc.
  • Lich - nope only the best version will stick.

• Intensify death - try buying it in the global chat or EC tunnel where all the traders hang out. Someone might have a copy of it already. If not you gotta get your research skill up and combine the words:
    https://wiki.project1999.com/Intensify_Death
    Or just focus on levelling and there is a higher level version you can buy from the spell vendor.

• Befallen is too dangerous, great XP and lots of undead to use your anti undead spells on. But it's famously dangerous, fake floors you can fall through and ambushes from all over. It's nuts. But fun if you are badass enough :P Or if you have some buddies. I'd go to easier places though, maybe Upper Guk if you want a dungeon. There are Gnolls in the basement of Highkeep and that's a great XP spot and pretty safe. It's a popular place though so you might not get it to yourself. Gargoyles in OOT are good, good loot as well, takes you to about 28. But again it's popular so if someone else is there it can suck. Lake of Ill Omen - just past the windmill, goblins, then sarnaks in a few more levels. One of my favorite places was Warsliks Wood but maybe more like mid 20s.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If you are bored of the oasis I would suggest heading to Unrest and leveling there until you can do the entrance area at castle mistmore

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Befallen peters out around level 20 anyway. You should be table to take Unrest to mid 20s. I dunno about trying to solo Castle Mistmoore. Back during the good old days it was a precursor to Karnor's Castle, grand central station. Safest place to camp was by the pool down the ramp. You might be able to kill the High Keep guards for xp and then move onto goblins, just watch out for Ran Flamespinner.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Got to lv 20 and got every single spell which I wanna except Animate Dead; would I be KoS in Grobb as an human necromancer who worships Bertoxxulous? IF yes, will I be killed in sight by the shadow knight's guild? What about Paineel city? I can reach there as an necromancer using gather shadows and traveling to Qeynos with no problem.

Which is the best way to get Animate dead spell?

Sorry for asking too many questions, but I can't find such info in guides

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I'd try buying it in EC tunnel, I think I tried buying it and someone just gave it to me. Sometimes they will say find the words and they'll combine it for you.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Paineel I don't have the key to the city and most undead near the city are dubious with some "threatning", even the cats on Kerra Island are in KoS(threatning) mode, to get pass Erudin, was a nightmare. I had to use gather shadows in water since I can't cast in the ship, navigate around the teleporters to exit in south, and still din't got.

Anyway, I will farm money to auction animate dead and the lv 24 pet spell too. Buying lv 20 spells broke me.

Only one more question about p99. I know that they have strong anti "boxxing" rules, but I have two computers, one desktop and one notebook. If I create an account, then a lv 1 ogre in my notebook, then in my desktop I log into my main account and give money to my troll, buy the scroll from the vendor in my notebook and then give the scroll to my main necro, that would be a ToS violation? I'm not asking if I will get caught or not, I don't wanna break the rules.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Paineel I don't have the key to the city and most undead near the city are dubious with some "threatning", even the cats on Kerra Island are in KoS(threatning) mode, to get pass Erudin, was a nightmare. I had to use gather shadows in water since I can't cast in the ship, navigate around the teleporters to exit in south, and still din't got.

Anyway, I will farm money to auction animate dead and the lv 24 pet spell too. Buying lv 20 spells broke me.

Only one more question about p99. I know that they have strong anti "boxxing" rules, but I have two computers, one desktop and one notebook. If I create an account, then a lv 1 ogre in my notebook, then in my desktop I log into my main account and give money to my troll, buy the scroll from the vendor in my notebook and then give the scroll to my main necro, that would be a ToS violation? I'm not asking if I will get caught or not, I don't wanna break the rules.
It would be a violation and you won't even be able to have two accounts logged on from the same ip without getting an exemption first anyway

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Boxing is so fun but p99 is against it. There's other servers you could try it on. I noticed you are on a Mac and there's even a Mac server that is 3 box limit and goes up to Planes of Power, so you get more content than P99. They are mostly focused on raiding though so if you play you might get pressured into joining their madness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom