Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Ecumene Aztec - action-RPG where you play an Aztec warrior fighting against conquistadors

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Funny, people love to praise the Egyptians for building pyramids when these were less technically impressive than a modern 7-eleven. I remember reading a short story about a pharaoh marveling at the technological innovations in a modern 7-eleven, but I can’t find it now to share with you.

Harthwain

Magister
Funny, people love to praise the Egyptians for building pyramids when these were less technically impressive than a modern 7-eleven.
The difference is that both the Vikings and the Egyptians were part of Europe's history, whereas the Aztecs are a civilization that was in a completely different part of the world and had to face a much more technologically advanced European civilization. Of course they'd look like savages by comparison. Something similar has happened to the American Indians/Native Americans, who didn't even reach the Aztecs' level. The Japanese were much better off by comparison.

Melcar

Arcane
What made them "relatively savages"? I mean, if you compare most any culture/civilization of the world with the collective European civilization then everyone was a "savage" or a "relative savage".
Facts are that Aztecs had a sophisticated society that allowed them to built a relatively large land empire and a large, well functioning city with a huge population base. They had advanced math and astronomical knowledge, even if they did not share the same fundamentals or understanding as Europeans. They had advanced agricultural methods. They had thriving and robust econonic and commercial networks that extended to South America and even as north as the modern American mid west. And militarily they were no slouches either: they had several confrontations with the Spanish and many encounters usually ended up with the Spanish bloodied and Spanish indian allies butchered.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
I think the ritualistic sacrifice of your fellow man falls under the ‘savage’ umbrella quite comfortably.
Maybe. They had their pantheon of Gods that required sacrifices, often times in flesh and blood. Europeans also had their God that required sacrifices of a different kind. I guess you could say the big differentiator was their religion. Anything outside of Christianity was savage. Christianity was a more modern and advanced religion, allowing the faithful to appease their God in more flexible and humane ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom