Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Less than yours.

I clocked in at like 209 hours, but about an hour of that was idling due to being called away. The fuck were you even doing? Trying to take pawn upskirts in photo mode? :lol:
I left mine to idle a fuckload. I probably didn't have 200 hours of actual gameplay. I also ran past many mobs for many hours doing stupid shit.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
A few notable pictures that you've probably seen if you've beaten the game, if anyone's interested. No creepy pawns in this one though I did see some good ones in my trip. Some people have really bizarre imaginations. :lol:

bitch.jpg

Take that, you bitch!

wtf.jpg

This thing looks cool as hell. No idea what it's about or if it's related to anything.

This seems bad.jpg

Well, fuck me.

mediocrepoet

Patron
How many deaths did you have mediocrepoet? I swear I'm not trying to get into a dick measuring contest. I wanna say probably almost half of my deaths were from falls.

Don't remember, I'd have to fire it up again and see if that carries over into a new game file started with the same character. I suspect it doesn't and I didn't save that end screen thing.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Loved the Unmoored world. Only reason I didn't stick around after finishing all the quests was because there was shit I fucked up in regular game that I wanted to fix. If I make it back there I'll stick around and explore it more.

I gotta repeat it, this game has the best ending credits ever.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Loved the Unmoored world. Only reason I didn't stick around after finishing all the quests was because there was shit I fucked up in regular game that I wanted to fix. If I make it back there I'll stick around and explore it more.
There's a lot of stuff to find and it's really cool to explore even just to look at the terrain changes and such. I definitely recommend taking the time to poke around in it.

Other than that, unless they've made changes to NG+, anything you find is going to be more for Fashion Dogma than anything, you don't really need it to fight anything. Hopefully an expansion will change that. That being said, some of the armour you can get looks awesome.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Pretty sure the wyrmcrystal dude gives you the best shit. I don't ONLY chase after sexy outfits.

Haha, either way, any differences at that level are pretty minimal and you're not going to be struggling with any content for the most part other than possibly gravity.

I did have an interesting fight with a lich, armoured cyclops, a few harpies, and a team of undead (the latter 3 were fighting eachother at first) and then some dickbag goblins attacked from behind when I was busy with the rest. Heh, there are some interesting potential encounters in the game.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Best fight I had in the game was against a Chimera. It was fairly early in the game over by the elf city. I don't know what it was about that MFer but he went apeshit crazy. I didn't have much trouble with the other ones. This one was deadset on killing me and pissing on my grave. The lion and goathead both went nuclear.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Alright, I fell for the Dragon's "choice" at Moonglint Tower. Nice bait Itsuno, nice bait... the whole game is already chock full of your tricks and troll moves, but I guess you had to get one more in... :hahano:

I literally thought I was supposed to just leave, become the Sovran, get an army ready, and THEN invade the Dragon's realm and kill him. I guess that would have been pretty difficult without Brant. In my game, that's who he took. I don't know exactly what all the possibilities are there. I'd be interested to know once all is said and done.

I should have taken the hint with The Dragonforged, since his dialogue says he ceased to be Arisen when he hesitated to kill the Dragon. Silly me!

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I guess that would have been pretty difficult without Brant.
Without Brant? Brant is the worst alcoholic I ever seen. He makes me look like a casual drinker. That dude wont even leave the tavern during the apocalypse. I respect him, don't get me wrong but he is the biggest drunk I ever seen. There needs to be a DLC revolving around Captain Brant's intervention.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I guess that would have been pretty difficult without Brant. In my game, that's who he took.
Haha! Gay!

I don't know exactly what all the possibilities are there. I'd be interested to know once all is said and done.

Every NPC you can talk to that isn't a pawn.

I should have taken the hint with The Dragonforged, since his dialogue says he ceased to be Arisen when he hesitated to kill the Dragon. Silly me!

Yeah...
there's foreshadowing, but whatever, it's still a proper end to the game and you can try again. It was pretty obvious to people who played the first one - it really is a reboot / reimagining of the first game.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
According to this game every Arisen failed in some way.

they all either failed to face the dragon or simply let the cycle continue. According to this game the Arisen is meant to break the cycle. It's japanese Donnie Darko

Cheesedragon117

Educated
I guess that would have been pretty difficult without Brant. In my game, that's who he took.
Haha! Gay!

I don't know exactly what all the possibilities are there. I'd be interested to know once all is said and done.

Yeah...
there's foreshadowing, but whatever, it's still a proper end to the game and you can try again. It was pretty obvious to people who played the first one - it really is a reboot / reimagining of the first game.

Wait, what?!?!

The final boss?!?! Already? I just started, I haven't even talked to the Cat-Priestess on the cover yet! I'm only Level 30! I thought I was supposed to progress the main questline to unlock/be led to more areas! What about the elves that are supposedly hidden somewhere? What is that Godbane Blade thingy for? Why can I kill myself with it? What about the girl that saved me? I'm so confused. I don't want any more spoilers, but am I supposed to keep exploring until I'm strong enough? Does this game just explain nothing?! WHAT IS GOING ON????

Cheesedragon117

Educated
You've got it all wrong, Lovecraft's Cat, I don't have any problem setting my own objectives, provided I know it's what I'm supposed to be doing. Which, yes, I know, is a bit of a contradiction. But I was expecting a lot more main quest before just running into a stone wall. There are so many characters I haven't really spoken to. I don't know their stories, I thought we were setting up for something big. Are there multiple main questlines? Is that what I missed? Am I supposed to be returning to Melve and all the previous areas to be picking those up? Or just poking around in the unexplored parts of the map? I can gladly do that until the Second Coming, now that I know that's what my non-objective is.

I went in expecting a big-budget story with a lot of cutscenes and, well, something resembling a direct explanation for everything that's going on. The world, tone and abundance of characters led me to believe that. Instead I was served a more passive and subtle Fromsoft-style story where you're gonna be getting a pen and paper and figuring all this out yourself. Not an unpleasant surprise, but still, a surprise... :|

mediocrepoet

Patron
Haha! Gay!

Yeah...

Wait, what?!?!

The final boss?!?! Already? I just started, I haven't even talked to the Cat-Priestess on the cover yet! I'm only Level 30! I thought I was supposed to progress the main questline to unlock/be led to more areas! What about the elves that are supposedly hidden somewhere? What is that Godbane Blade thingy for? Why can I kill myself with it? What about the girl that saved me? I'm so confused. I don't want any more spoilers, but am I supposed to keep exploring until I'm strong enough? Does this game just explain nothing?! WHAT IS GOING ON????
This is an exploration and adventure driven game, not a quest log driven game. Think of it more like Morrowind than Dragon Age.

Explore, screw around, fill out your map, do some quests along the way. You'll probably discover quests as well by talking to people or observing things. Some stuff doesn't even show up in a quest log or on the map. It's about the journey, not the destination.

I really feel like the SkillUp YouTube review shows that he got it, so if you're confused, maybe watch his review and consider it.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The story is literally a fantasy reinterpretation of Donnie Darko. It's not hard to understand. That doesn't warrant spoiler tags because the first game was too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
  1. A substantial portion of negative reviews seem to be from people who powered through the main questline without exploring to find sidequests or non-quest-related areas of interest.
  2. The queen of Battahl has two quests related to her, if you take the time.
  3. Progressing the main quest does unlock more areas, but it's possible to reach Battahl and then Volcanic Island by other means, and that's really all there is aside from the "post-game".
  4. The elves live in a town far north of Harve Village and to the west across a river from Melve; you really should have found them long ago, by initiating Glyndwr's Gift of the Bow quest and then following the next quest in that series.
  5. If you had played the original Dragon's Dogma, you would know the purpose of the Godsbane blade.
  6. See above.
  7. If you mean Ulrika, you should have returned to Melve, experienced her departure, and later found her in Harve Village.
  8. You can either explore random locations to gain experience or pursue side quests.
  9. No Relatively little hand-holding.
  10. Not Donnie Darko.

Stoned Ape

Savant
Warfarer allows you to build pretty much any hybrid class you want to play as already
Oh c'mon man
Warfarer is a cool addition as a sort of end/post-game job
But used like that and it comes across a bit of a lazy cop out not build upon the gameplay variety

I mean wouldn't you like something akin to DDO's Alchemist?

That looks better than Trickster, but it also doesn't really fit into the classic fantasy feel of the other current vocations IMO. I think it looks quite 'anime' in execution.

Thinking about it, I think I'd even prefer more itemization that allowed for interesting/alternative playstyles based on the current vocations rather than adding more. Stuff like the Ring of Bloody Knuckles to boost unarmed, or a physical damage reflecting shield for the Fighter. Maybe a double-jump enabling pair of daggers or armour set for Thief.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
It is the exact same story. People get trapped in a time loop and they need somebody to break it. Only difference is the main character doesn't have to kill themself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom