Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age - Now featuring Marilyn Manson

Mantiis

Cipher
I too wish to register my displeasure with this trailer.

Ardanis

Novice
Volourn said:
the 'elitist crowd' is also the stupid crowd because they'll buy anything even if they know before hand they'll hate it.
So much true.

I am not very impressed. Dragon Age looks bland. The colour pallet is dull. BG2 looks much prettier. Also, from what I've seen and heard so far of the dialogue, it appears to take itself too seriously.

Eldritch

Scholar
psycojester said:
Actually if you do it with Gay Bar by electric 6s and start playing from the Bioware logo just as the music starts it's an even more uncanny fit than Hawaii 5-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54LJ5RsqRw

Fuck Hawaii 5.0. If you do the timing right by *exactly* starting playing just as the music starts when the Bioware logo appears as psycojester suggests, it lip syncs perfectly with the faggoty knight dude raising his hands shouting to the crowd -I WANNA TAKE YOU TO A GAY BAR continuing on with LETS START A WAR when he raises his sword to signal the charge before the werewolf roars I WANNA SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY to the blonde prince pauldron's face and it all ends with I'VE GOT SOMETHING TO PUT IN YOU exactly when the Dragon Age logo at the end appears and fades to black with AT THE GAY BAR GAY BAR GAYYY BAR...

It was divine poetry.

Self-Ejected

BeholderX

Self-Ejected
Ardanis said:
Volourn said:
the 'elitist crowd' is also the stupid crowd because they'll buy anything even if they know before hand they'll hate it.
So much true.

Im p. sure the elitist crowd exclusively plays games that havent been removed from an inventory.
Otherwise they'd hardly be the 3l33t.

Phelot

Arcane
I liked Duke Nukem because it was over the top without trying to have any semblance of reality. I wish they'd make a game were you play a strong blond dominant male figure with great one liners, never ending boner, and only women to save and fuck (the other men are all dead because they're weak)

Also you should get xp for sex and have sex based skills and perks such as different "finishing moves."

Also, why do games always have disappearing dead bodies? I like it when they stay and extra points if they let me move them around and pose them.

Guesses

Novice
xuerebx said:
"IMHO" he said, doesn't warrant a god dammit. But I suppose if YOU came up with another artist, it would have been a perfect choice amirite?

Yeah dude, pretty much. It's hard to go down hill from Evanescence.

I mean, I am actually looking forward to DA. I think it could be a very very good game. But the type of people on their forum always asking "romance" questions and other vapid shit strike me as fans of Evanescence.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Couple things:

1) Buy the game for the inevitable custom content that will be generated. As long as the combat/magic system don't suck major ass I am guessing that mods will be better than the original product.

2) What other trailer has gotten a 6 page (and counting) feedback around here? Half the people who are bashing the game will buy it just like FO3. Bio was supposed to release this game 2 months ago so they need to keep it in the consciousness of the PC crowd until November. Apparently they have succeeded.

3) I bet Skyway is gonna love this game.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Guesses said:
xuerebx said:
"IMHO" he said, doesn't warrant a god dammit. But I suppose if YOU came up with another artist, it would have been a perfect choice amirite?

I mean, I am actually looking forward to DA. I think it could be a very very good game. But the type of people on their forum always asking "romance" questions and other vapid shit strike me as fans of Evanescence.
Ooh, I see you conspicuously forgot to mention which band you would have liked. Afraid to be picked on for your "taste" in music by you peers? I would have expected more from someone who hates Evanescence. Weak.

aboyd

Liturgist
oldmanpaco said:
Buy the game for the inevitable custom content that will be generated. As long as the combat/magic system don't suck major ass I am guessing that mods will be better than the original product.
Damn it, you're right. I found the trailer (and the developers turning into placating women in that forum thread) to be so full of fail that I was toying with the idea of ignoring the product. But now that you mention the modules, damn, that's just true. I loved some of those NWN 1 modules. That "Tales of _____" (I've forgotten the name now after so many years) was so good I played it three times. Tales of Andaria? Heh, no, I guess it wasn't that. Tales of Avellone? No. Hmm.

Anyway, I guess my only hope now is that the game has system requirements I cannot satisfy. I play all my games on a gamer's laptop, but the laptop is a year old and can't be upgraded. Maybe by the time DA comes out, I'll be so far behind that I will have to boycott, like it or not. ;)

Guesses

Novice
Shannow said:
Guesses said:
xuerebx said:

Ooh, I see you conspicuously forgot to mention which band you would have liked. Afraid to be picked on for your "taste" in music by you peers? I would have expected more from someone who hates Evanescence. Weak.

Really dude? Evanescence? I mean...Really? The only people who liked Evanescence when they became fleetingly popular were obese goth chicks. Do you like to jam My Chemical Romance whilst you play Planescape, making the most angsty choices the game allows? :P

If I had to put xtreeeem metal muzik in my dark and heroically gritty trailer, I would have opted for a Cannibal Corpse song. "Blunt Force Castration" and "Blood Drenched Execution" are good options. Now, Cannibal Corpse fucking sucks, but if you're going to mix medieval fantasy and metal, why not go all out? Shit.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Guesses said:
If I had to put xtreeeem metal muzik in my dark and heroically gritty trailer, I would have opted for a Cannibal Corpse song. "Blunt Force Castration" and "Blood Drenched Execution" are good options. Now, Cannibal Corpse fucking sucks, but if you're going to mix medieval fantasy and metal, why not go all out? Shit.

facepalm2.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
Things I liked about the trailer:

1. The EXTREME stuff like guys jumping on top of dragons or thrusting two swords into an ogre's chest or seemingly swinging a sword at an asshole in a feast hall...what can I say...I'm a sucker for this stuff in games.

2. The new logo and bloodsplatter effect.

3. The fact that the Blight don't seem to be the only enemy you'll face, with human opposition to the Grey Wardens to tackle as well.

4. The gore looked ok and I guess wasn't too OTT considering the trailer subject.

Things I didn't like:

1. The music.

2. The dumb sex scene (intended to get more mainstream press attention no doubt after the "success" of the ME advertising in this area) also what the hell is it doing inserted into a trailer entitled "Violence".

Given that GRR Martin has been constantly listed as a source of inspiration, I am a little bit worried by a trailer concentrating on gore with a Marylin Manson theme song, but I guess I'm still content to wait and see.

aries202

Erudite
poocolator said:
Some guy recommends playing the trailer on mute in sync with this vid instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LnK8b_jk8w

EDIT:
Does this dragon age crap take place on Faerun, or whatever the NWN/Baldur's Gate world is called?

No. no and no....

DA: Origins takes place in Ferelden where the Fereldans live; the story is somewhat like this: The Tevinter Imperium (or was it Orzhammer?) once ruled Ferelden but then the Fereldans rose up and threw them out. And then there will be blights along the way, there haven't been a blight for 400 years or so; the Grey Wardens are an elite group whose only function is to seek out and combat and defeat the blight and its army, the darkspawn. And at the start of the game apparently, a new blight has been sighted and the darkspawn riseth - and the grey wardens figteth....

And somehow Bioware thinks it is fun to be part of the Grey Warden (navy seals of the US military perhaps?) to they've made it so that the player must be a Grey Warden (heroic). However, hos he or she plays this character is entirely up to him or her (dark, realistic, gritty etc.) And for good measure elves, ogres, dwarfs etc. are thrown into this game (fantasy).

DA: Origins has nothing to do with D&D whatsoever. Period. It is aworld made up entirely by Bioware itself. And maybe even to the the start of the company when Ray and Greg wanted to make an RTS game called Battleground Infinity - some of the battlescenes actually reminded me of battlescenes in (most) RTS games...

As for the trailer itself: My head still hurts from the Marilyn Mansong song song or score used in the trailer. And it still amazed me that people still think that mature means blood, blood and blood. I didn't mind the romance (sex scenes) at all. I thought they were neatly, discrete and tastefully done. I do mind, however, the way Morrigan looked naked or nearly naked. Sort of skinny, very bony and nothing like the slender woman she is supposed to be. Even slender muscular women a bigger pelvis-area than most men.

And isn't there someone, please, that will tell the developers ofevery rpg-game out there that the bra wasn't invented untill around 1900 - on this Earth I mean. DA: Origins is supposed to be set in medieval European setting. Most women didn't wear bras back then, let alone underwear (as we know it). If they wore anything they wore an undergarment made of cloth or linen; I think it is called a 'slip' these days?

On the plus-side, the trailer did portray how there's no honour in war at all and how brutal war can be....

On the minus (or subtraction) side, this trailer was meant for a different audience than the (hardcore) rpg fans i.e. fans of shooters and action games. And possibly the reel the 17-28 year old crowd in as well along with the 12-18 year old crowd as well - people that will not be allowed to buy the game for themselves due to store policy. There's nothing wrong with this approach to marketing this game - except for one thing: it doesn't work.

On the Fallout and Mass Effect boards people still ask questions about the combat thinking they are action or fps games. Bioware also touting the realtime combat more than the fact that the game can be paused to think about what your next actions in combat will be.

I, looking forward to this game, was very disappointed with this trailer, since I sense it marks the beginning of new type of era for Bioware, the action era, where focus in their games from on will be more on combat, not in dialogue options to get you through the game. This game just went for a must buy at release for me to wait and see game; I will still buy it,though, probably when it can be bught for around half the original price of 400-450 DKK which is about 200-225 DKK (which is about 40-45 US dollars or so with the current exchange rate...)

The only thing that should prevent me doing what I've mentioned above is to send a signal to the powers that be that I support games without Securom and DRM....

Dionysus

Scholar
aries202 said:
I, looking forward to this game, was very disappointed with this trailer, since I sense it marks the beginning of new type of era for Bioware, the action era, where focus in their games from on will be more on combat, not in dialogue options to get you through the game.
That's pretty silly. Bioware's games all have an emphasis on combat, and RPG trailers usually focus on action and cutscenes. Go look at the Torment trailers. They're all noninteractive CGI and combat spell effects. Dialog doesn't show well.

Anyway, I think this video is funnier than The Witcher's stupid music video, so I'm willing to give Bioware points for that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This is even more awful than the Bioware video in question.
Guess the more XTREME the game video is - the gayer the final game will be.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Dionysus said:
Anyway, I think this video is funnier than The Witcher's stupid music video, so I'm willing to give Bioware points for that.

Except that this video was not a part of The Witcher, dumbfuck. Vader did that song independently, because THEY wanted to promote the game, CDP only supplied the parts of the intro for the video later.

Plus, at least the song is related unlike the shitty Manson one.

psycojester

Arbiter
Origins takes place in Ferelden where the Fereldans live; the story is somewhat like this: The Tevinter Imperium (or was it Orzhammer?) once ruled Ferelden but then the Fereldans rose up and threw them out. And then there will be blights along the way, there haven't been a blight for 400 years or so; the Grey Wardens are an elite group whose only function is to seek out and combat and defeat the blight and its army, the darkspawn. And at the start of the game apparently, a new blight has been sighted and the darkspawn riseth - and the grey wardens figteth....

Wow, that sounded like such generically bleh fantasy paperback tripe it just killed any interest i had in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom