Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divine Divinity. Cool or what?

Tam

Novice
Hi. Second post. :)
Well, I obviously think Div Div is pretty cool. One of the best interfaces for an RPG, virtually no loading times, huge playing area with an automatically updating world map, capable of putting your own notes on - pretty useful when you have dumped some heavy yet valuable gear you may not want to use at the time, but do want to come back later and pick up for trade purposes. And the best part? The stuff stays where you put it. No nasty things like all your bright and shiny stuff disappearing after a couple of game days, like what happens in BG2 and the best IE engine game, Planescape: Torment - number three on my all time best RPG game list.
Making your own potions and poisons is also pretty nice.
I have never really played Diablo or it's sequel, though I did play and complete the playstation version of the first game - not quite the same thing as the pc version - and I never really got to grips with Fallout 2, so Div Div is the first pretty free form game I have played on the PC and I love it to bits, so far. I haven't yet completed it, so I have to reserve judgement on how good it is as a full game until I do.

It just makes me more mad I spent so much time money and trouble trying to get Neverwinter Nights running. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Just call me sucka.

Only cloud in my coffee just now is my PC is in the shop getting fixed. Really worrying when your new sixty four meg GeForce 4 card runs a hundred frames per second slower in the Divine Divinity test applet than a thirty two meg ATI Radeon VE.
The word OUCH sprang to mind.
Oh well, three more days to wait.

Peace
Tam

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Divine Divinity had a lot of promise and was very fun for a while, but then it turned into a linear hackfest and I lost interest.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, the game itself looked cool from the little time I played it but it surely wins the buggiest game of the 2002 award.
Unbeliavable, I installed the game on 4 different PC's and it managed to constantly crash to desktop and do some wierd stuff in the game like dissapearing interfaces and some other stuff on all machines.I have no idea how some people managed to finish this game.

It may be fun for some people, but its worth nothing to me when I can't play it.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Some very left field humor entertains me and keeps things fresh.
Generally interesting story and dialogue.
Character growth is entertaining enough.
The volume of combat can be irritating [I'm level 36.]
And most boss battles [for my character anyways] consist of dropping my teleport pyramids about 300 feet apart and teleporting to the far one when the bad guy gets close enough to hurt me whilst hurling distance spells at him and chugging health and magic potions.
The prettiest 2d graphics I've seen though.

[not]Speaking of which, when's Gothic II coming out, damn it?! Gothic I was so cooly immersive.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
ecliptic said:
[not]Speaking of which, when's Gothic II coming out, damn it?! Gothic I was so cooly immersive.

"Q1 2003", whatever that means. I'd hedge my bets for sometime in the summer.

Divine divinity is one of the best games made last year.

I didnt have any crashing bugs other than the commonly refered to aura of command bug.

Huge game with so much detail, and fun all the way through. Very long well worth buying.
Ahead of most of its competition I think. Not quite the wow factor of morrowind but much more fun.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The game has the biggest interactive world I´ve seen since Ultima 7. Funny little intermezzo´s like 2 cartowners that have a fight after they crashed into eachother.
A dark evil that somehow does not seem to take itself too serious. They seem to have a "okay, lets kill the hero now, then we´ll be home in time for the coffee" attitude which I find very refreshing.
A neat character system filled with loadsa skills that you can learn and use. A truly enormous amount of entertaining side quests.
On the downside: the game has way too much hackin an slashin for me, occasionally crashed and...erh...has a stupid name?
Get it, it´s defenitely woth it.

Trash

Psilon

Erudite
I like the game; it's pretty enjoyable for short romps and doesn't consume all the allotted time with travel (unlike Morrowind). The main problem I have with it is the level progression. Maybe I missed a treasure chest or two, but I spent the entire first dungeon beating up on things with a pretty low-damage short sword. Every weapon I found was either a weak staff, broken dagger, or an axe that would take ten more levels to wield. Then I get to the castle... and finally find a ton of two-handed swords within my level. Unfortunately, I had to spend so many points in Strength that I have to go sleep every time I kill 3 or 4 orcs. Joy.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'mnot far into it. The story seems very well done; however the combat is most defintely as hack n slash as Diablo. Too bad, as like I sadi, the story has really got me interested early on..

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The over abundance of combat got me to stop playing the game. They can claim all the interactive world stuff they'd like. It doesn't change the fact that 90% of the game is straight up combat.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
The over abundance of combat got me to stop playing the game. They can claim all the interactive world stuff they'd like. It doesn't change the fact that 90% of the game is straight up combat.

I played through the entire game, but the final portion of the game (after the ritual) I had to force myself to finish. The amount of combat didn't bother me as much as the repetiveness of it. I have the same problem with Avernum 3, a game I pretty much love, the end part is just a long string of battles that are essentially the same.

Azael,
I couldnt help but agree with you. From the wasteland area to the black ring hq back to back there are hundreds if not thousands of monsters.
Heres a key point. You could reach the wasteland at level 25 or level 35. Odds are if you got there at level 25 you cant deal with the demon of lies or the black ring boss'. Theres no going back and doing quests at that point, balance has to be enough experince there to raise you at least 5 or so levels.
You dont have to fight hardly any of those monsters. The game at that point forces you to have the shadow spell, and after the wasteland youre forced to have the ghostly form spell. You can run by the monsters to the boss' like they are not even there.
Thats what I started to do eventually, and the game designers made SURE you could if you wanted to.
You dont actually have to fight even one monster except the demon of lies. You can get by the spikes by throwing your pyramids.
Overall this game is so balanced and well planned out it sort of amazes me.

Sabotai

Liturgist
It's been a while since a game hooked me like this. I'm still in the early stages, about lvl 11, and love every second of it. Uhh, except, how the f*ck do you kill the War Drumming Orc?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I have to agree with Saint. I was really interested in the story (a very good one from what I saw); but the over abundance of combat forced me to stop. I haven't played it since.

Psilon

Erudite
Sabotai said:
[H]ow the f*ck do you kill the War Drumming Orc?

Cold spells, repeatedly applied. Freeze that sucker, beat on him a few times, and freeze again. He'll still heal himself unless you're really timing it well, but practice makes perfect.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
The game has some serious balance issues as well. Blind is so overpowered that it's almost not funny. Standard procedure for my archer/mage was to simply cast a couple of Blind spells on the opposition and then taking them down, I almost had no need for other spells.

huh

Novice
Divinity is one hell of an RPG. It's one of those 'old school' games that retired philosophy profs at MIT made in their spare time, or whatever. It oozes humor, character, attitude and just plain FUN.

Just take elves in Divinity. Or, Dwarves. They are f'kin annoying and obnoxious bastards. Drinkin' ale, telling jokes about hunams, swinging warhammers, and what not... awesome. In my first game I hit on that elf chick in the Dark Forest after averting the Dwarf/Elf war. Then, I ditched her. Nice.

And those skeletons. They are freaking hillarioius in their boots and what with waving their clubs and stuff. I had Ultima 7 flash backs while I played it. Twice. Recommended.

[edit] I've re-read my post, and just want to say, if you think I'm sarcastic... i"m not. I truly liked the game. fot its atmosphere. the plot was kinda lame thou, but hey...

Sabotai

Liturgist
huh said:
Divinity is one hell of an RPG. It's one of those 'old school' games that retired philosophy profs at MIT made in their spare time, or whatever.

As far as I know, it's a Belgian/German co-production. Larian Studios the Belgian developers and Cdv the German publishers.

huh

Novice
Sabotai said:
huh said:
Divinity is one hell of an RPG. It's one of those 'old school' games that retired philosophy profs at MIT made in their spare time, or whatever.

As far as I know, it's a Belgian/German co-production. Larian Studios the Belgian developers and Cdv the German publishers.

good to know. just in case, the "old school" remark was meant as a compliment in regards to how much the developers seem to have cared about making their gameworld. good game :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom