Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Did Underail prove Iron Tower Studio wrong?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Screen-Shot-2021-03-30-at-5-50-41-pm.png

Now look at the huge success that is Underrail. Sure you can say 3D is better in the end but was it worth the cost in time and money, and the opportunity cost? We could have seen a large series of interesting C&C games from Vault Dweller and his boys by now.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Age of Decadence sold well. It sounds like their decision to use 3D was completely vindicated.

Codex Year of the Donut
Fake-3d "iso" art isn't any less difficult(and often moreso) to produce than actual 3d art. If it's simply pre-rendered 3D then it's strictly more difficult.

for reference:
595.jpg

AoD could have achieved the same graphical look using actual 3D assets, btw.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
Also, Underrail is going 3D because of cost.
These troll topics should have died out ages ago...

Gastrick

Cipher
Maybe it doesn't prove them wrong and Underrail just has that much more objective appeal than Age of Decadence.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I am that single person that unironically liked AoD graphics

You're not the only one. Low-tech 3D graphics can look good as long as long as you don't start adding specular highlights, bump mapping or other crap. They're not ugly, they're just there and fulfilling their purpose.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
But Stygian will use full 3D models in their new game Underrail: Infusion. They've even detailed all the advantages it brings.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did sseth finally turn underrail into a billion dollars meme game or am i missing something? Last i heard underrail did slightly worse than AoD and the difference is memelord made video about underrail (i love both games so either way i benefit from either or both being a success)

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Underrail is ugly. AoD is not.

I was addicted to AoD and stopped playing Underrail pretty quickly.

The truth is both games are visually serviceable. But if you like the game, you are prone to like all aspects of it.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Underrail appeals to zoomers on ritalin for their adhd, its an endless dungeon crawl/grind without any story or substance.
If anything it appeals to autists for the theorycrafting. I did hear it's the best CRPG in the last 20 years.
Not that I would know, never played it.

Piotrovitz

Savant
This 'endless dungeon crawling/grind' sounds like it comes from a retard who never actually bothered to play more than 30 mins - game is far far from that.

And it's true - it's one of the best cRPGs of the decade, and theorycrafting and dozen of char builds options, which all can be equally successful and determine your playstyle just adds to this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom