Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Convince me to replay witchers

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played Witchers when they came out.

The first one has a place in my heart. Gameplay was lacking, to say the least, but the atmosphere, plots and quests were really something good. Especially the music. Main menu theme as well as some other tracks are still stuck in my head and I love them. This is the only Twitcher I ever replayed to see the other faction and enjoyed the replay a lot.

Witcher 2 I vaguely remember. I remember the beginnings with Jaskier and that it was overall similar to the first one in gameplay and structure, but the atmosphere was more happy and Tolkien-like than dark, with epic story about kings and stuff. Never bothered to replay.

Witcher 3 I remember even less, despite the fact that it was most recent and the longest. I just remember the baron and Ciri a bit (I think there were quests in which I played as her?) and some pretty sceneries, but I don't even remember a single quest. Oh, and you could ride a horse.

Now, are Witchers worth replaying? I'd say first one yes, but what about the other two? Were they more interesting than I remember? It was a long time ago, but I remember I did play them a lot until I finished them and liked them, but I don't even remember how much.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Now, are Witchers worth replaying? I'd say first one yes, but what about the other two? Were they more interesting than I remember? It was a long time ago, but I remember I did play them a lot until I finished them and liked them, but I don't even remember how much.
witcher 2 is a short and underwhelming bioware-lite game with horrible combat and QTEs. I bet it only sold well because high production values (and of Triss' titties).

Witcher 3 is a cutscene simulator with flat and empty open world, lame combat, lame itemization, even lamer RPG system, and with an average quest being solved by pressing and holding a batman vision button. The game only became popular because of how front-loaded the main campaign was. Normies got a gripping Bloody Baron questline right at the beginning, started gushing over the genius writing and gave the game 10/10 ratings. The other 70% of the game is just a boring filler.

Better just buy a season pass and beat Hearts of Stone DLC, now that's a quality Witcher content.

Zlaja

Arcane
Do you remember who you sided with in W2? If yes, then it could be worth playing it again once to side with the other side, because that completely changes one of the acts.

W3 is not worth replaying.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh shit, I completely forgot that but now when you mentioned it I get terrible flashbacks. THey are coming to me like meme vietnam war :negative: I'm terrible at arcade games and it took me HOURS to make through the first fucking QTE with some tentacles on easy :negative: I just continued because I felt bad buying the game and abandoning it so early. I have never completed Two Worlds 2's add-on for the same reason, where I couldn't pass the first arcade mini-game.

I enjoyed the game overall, but every QTE I wanted to go do CDProjekt, get into the company and start randomly beating employees.

Wunderbar

Arcane
kony i think CDPR added an option to disable QTEs (or at least make them easier). Not sure if it works on harder difficulties though.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I agree that the first Witcher had great atmosphere. I replayed it after some years, and it was nice, but the nostalgia couldn't gloss over all the annoying backtracking you have to do.

Witcher 2 is a more smooth experience in that department, although the story is not that great I'll admit. Yes, QTEs can be mostly switched off. Shorter than the other two. Great to replay at least once.

Witcher 3 is actually the least replayable to me. Too much pointless shit to do. Wish someone would magically condense it to the bunch of really good side quests.

Sjukob

Arcane
Witcher 2 I vaguely remember. I remember the beginnings with Jaskier and that it was overall similar to the first one in gameplay and structure, but the atmosphere was more happy and Tolkien-like than dark, with epic story about kings and stuff. Never bothered to replay.

witcher 2 is a short and underwhelming bioware-lite game with horrible combat and QTEs. I bet it only sold well because high production values (and of Triss' titties).
For all the shit Witcher 2 gets, all in all it's actually a good storyfag material, pretty short too.

Witcher 3, however, is just garbage with no positives aside from graphics. I haven't played the DLCs though, because I just don't care.

Falksi

Arcane
Witcher 1 I feel very similar about, and when I replayed it I didn't feel said replay offered anything new.

Witcher 3 is fucking dire. I've put myself through the drudge twice to make sure I wasn't going mad at missing what all the hype was about, and to see if any of the alternate choices made much of a difference. Apart from the love-angle they didn't, and I wouldn't wish a replay of this on my worst enemy.

Witcher 2 however is most definitely worth replaying. Flaws aside, it's really well paced and has a ton of alternate angles to the plot threads. So much so that I'd actually say that you don't get the full story experience unless you've played it through at least twice with a different main bro each time. It wasn't until the end of the 2nd playthrough that it felt like the full story had been told. I've finished it 5 times now, and I'd say 4 plays gets you all the different angles. It's probably got the best C&C in any modern game I've played.

Last edited:

Beggar

Cipher
Tried to replay Witcher 3 recently as I never finished Blood & Wine DLC. This time I was done by the time I was doing Hearts of Stone DLC. It's just hours and hours of non stop cutscenes watching, dropped it and see no point at all finishing it. I'm not even talking how everything is anti climatic once you are are done with midgame.
Could have been a solid modern 7/10 game if everything was packed into a 30h game and all the unnecessary content was cut.

Softgels

Scholar
Convince me to replay witchers

Collect 'Em All!

6B5BC08A-34ED-447C-B140-4889933E593E.jpg

Aemar

Arcane
Played all three not-RPGs-but-action-adventure games. All I can say is that I can't find any reason to play these games ever again. I'm not saying they're bad, they're just not worth the time.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm convincing you to not do it. There are many games to play*, no reason to waste time on replaying average/mediocre/crap ones.
Having said that, i only played the first one and not for very long at that (it was in the mediocre category for me) so take this advice for what it is.

*not to mention other things to do if you are one of those disgusting people with a life.

wishbonetail

Learned
Better just buy a season pass and beat Hearts of Stone DLC, now that's a quality Witcher content.
Really? Hearts of Stone was the one that broke me and promted me to finally uninstall this shit. This DLC is an ultimate cutscene simulator.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Really? Hearts of Stone was the one that broke me and promted me to finally uninstall this shit. This DLC is an ultimate cutscene simulator.
it's just a DLC, it wasn't supposed to fix the issues of the base game. What it does is plays on base game's strengths (storyfaggotry), and it does so brilliantly.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Witcher 3 is a cutscene simulator with flat and empty open world,
Bullshit. Witcher 3 has the the best open world out of any game. It's absolutely filled with content on every corner, a lot of it not shown on the map. There are so many quests you can finish the game while ignoring half of them. And the world is so beautiful you could do a walking simulator in it and sell it as a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom