Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #49: Hydroponics and update

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
CZtHX-.gif

We hoped to wrap up everything in December and start the beta in mid-Jan, but we're still 3-4 weeks of work away from the finish line. I wouldn't be surprised if by the time we get there, another month of work would pop up out of nowhere, but let's stay positive and hope it's the final stretch.

On the programming side, the last hurdle is the non-human enemies. They have properties such creatures never had in our previous games, which required more work and changes than anticipated. They can be placed on walls (see the old wasteland concept), have abilities humans don't, different THC formulas that doesn't factor in stats and skills, different movement (a frog jumps over several tiles), etc.

The other task is relatively minor. When you enter a stealth mode, the designated infiltrator is removed from the party (provided you have one), which waits outside. If combat starts (if you're spotted by guards or fail to kill a guard from behind, we need to switch to the party mode and teleport the party inside the building (at the entrance point, not next to you).

On the scripting side, the framework is done. What's left to script are the journal entries, quest rewards, and reputation modifiers. Overall, the game is shaping up well and we hope you'll enjoy it. The first chapter has 3 locations (the Pit, Armory, Hydroponics), 22 quests with multiple solutions, and 30+ fights.

Speaking of Hydroponics:

The Hydroponic Division was originally conceived to adapt Terran plants to the anticipated environment of Proxima Centauri. Extensive gene-editing was employed to develop resistance to alien fungi and pests, and accelerated adaptation hacked into the plants' genetic code.

Like many other critical systems, Hydroponics was abandoned during the Mutiny. The carefully cultivated flora and fauna was left on its own in harsh environs designed to propagate rapid and brutal evolutionary cycles. When men returned to reclaim Hydroponics, they discovered an environment as wild and hostile as any Earth jungle...

IIVD7ex.png

^ The Green Zone (there're also yellow and red zones)

We've already covered the frogs in one of the previous updates. If you missed it, here's the relevant part:

GbpbwR6.png

Frogs are already used in agriculture as a form of biological pest control as they have a healthy appetite for insects and are highly resistant to insecticide. Plus they have a wide range of natural abilities: jumping, toxic venom, hallucinogen, even retractable spikes (the wolverine frog), which would make them a top choice when it comes to cost-effective terraforming.

The frog is a 'hard to hit, easy to kill' critter (high evasion due to the small size and mobility, low hit points and no damage resistance). They will attack in packs and come in 3 varieties: bullfrog (leg biter that will go for the throat when a character is knocked down or down on one knee), poison spitter, and psyker (fucks with your head from a comfortable distance). It's a low level critter that prefers easy prey (i.e. low level, poorly equipped parties). They aren't very aggressive and won't attack unless threatened. When you run into them for the first time, they'll be busy feasting on a corpse. If you want to go through that corpse's pockets, you'll have to kill the frogs first.

iLVLzS8.png

^ one of the towers

n7pQWQo.png

ywsaV3H.png

E0is7Ow.png

gZzDYK1.png

That's all for now. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your families!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Very nice Vault Dweller! It is a travesty I haven’t dived into the alpha more to give you feedback. Once the beta comes out I’m going to say damn it all and carve out time - I love your games (the philosophy even moreso tbh), and want to help your vision in any way I can.

On the hydroponics side - have you ever played Pyke ’s Stasis? I’m getting strong vibes of the overgrown hrydroponics area in it, and that’s a good thing (bees not withstanding).

idk if you like pnc adventures at all, but if so I highly recommend stasis just from a world building and aesthetics POV, even tho the gameplay is great as well.

edit: Merry Christmas / Happy Newyear / Snovim Godam!

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Game looks stunning, if you will keep up such level of detail for the rest of the game even the whoriest of graphic-whores should be satisfied. This doesn't look like a small budget game at all.

22 quests for a start doesn't seem like much on the surface (it's similar to Fallout Junktown+ Shady Sands + Vault 15) but as long as they will be of high quality nobody will have reasons to complain. Quality over quantity is always preferable. BTW, will we have the chance to do the same quest from a different perspective like in AoD? So if we go with one faction we will steal distortion field generator and if with another we will repel the attack, something along those lines?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Would the area have aggressive plants that shoot spikes at you?

No, but there are plants that wrap tentacles around you and start digesting (gotta get them nutrients).

Game looks stunning, if you will keep up such level of detail for the rest of the game even the whoriest of graphic-whores should be satisfied. This doesn't look like a small budget game at all.
Thanks, Oscar will be happy to hear that (that's his department).

BTW, will we have the chance to do the same quest from a different perspective like in AoD? So if we go with one faction we will steal distortion field generator and if with another we will repel the attack, something along those lines?
No.

The Jester

Cipher
Graphics, lightning and the details in environment are stunning! achieving this level of quality with a small team and limited budget is really commendable.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Vault Dweller can you remind me where CS is with the old Fallout 2 New Reno-style “playing one side off another” when it comes to faction quests? I know your faction system is an actual system in CS and that likely complicates things (vs the new reno themepark example).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller can you remind me where CS is with the old Fallout 2 New Reno-style “playing one side off another” when it comes to faction quests? I know your faction system is an actual system in CS and that likely complicates things (vs the new reno themepark example).
It's hard to answer without spoiling too much.

At first, you'll be able to do quests for all 3 main factions to figure out which faction suits you better. That's a pretty standard, Gothic-like approach. The quests will always involve other factions, so you won't be able to maintain good relationship with all 3 factions for long. Then you'll make a choice and and eventually it's gonna be the faction of your choice against the other two.

Lesser factions will matter too. Based on your actions in the first chapter the Pit will ally with one of the main factions (the new ruler will determine which, not you), which will affect events down the road.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question before
But is there a power armor on the ship?
Not at the moment. It was planned but due to some unfortunate events we had to move it to the bottom of the list (where dreams go to die).

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Looks great, Vince. As always. Happy New year and god speed in 2021. I hope to play the beta soon.

Game is shaping up nicely.

Nm6k

Scholar
Great looking update as always. I'm very interested in seeing how the fogs fight in game and I can't wait to see for myself next year. Hoped you had a happy Christmas.

Takamori

Learned
Great visuals like everyone mentioned, given you said non-human enemies I guess there is more then frogs. So we will enter into Alien, mutants and zombies or you guys plan to not go so ham with the monster enemies ?
Also try to push the power armor to a bit slightly up so at least the dream don't die and we see in a future expansion pretty please :codexisfor:

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Still need to get around to Age of Decadence properly, but seeing a sci-fi setting in a CRPG at all is such a breath of fresh air that I'm hooked from that alone (especially with the presentation looking as good as it does so far). Best of luck for next year's development and release.

Pearass

Educated
Looks AMAZING! Amazing job all around, I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm so excited to see how this plays out.

I'll admit, I'm a pretty big story-whore, so I'm really looking forward to diving into the narrative of things. I'm not too concerned though, as AOD had a pretty great plot. Great job!

Takamori

Learned

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Just curious, but any possibilty for preorders?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom