Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
So the reason because this game is disliked is the nihilism in it?

Bad writing and gameplay, a few very vocal fanboys seem to like it. None with the exception of Tavar seem to be able to actually say what they enjoyed about it.
Nobody here, maybe. But there are a lot of people appreciating it on the net.
So many the Company is officially going bankrupt. I know I'm the last person with any right to say this but: do people ever read what they post before posting?

Beans00

Augur

Bad writing and gameplay, a few very vocal fanboys seem to like it. None with the exception of Tavar seem to be able to actually say what they enjoyed about it.
If that were true they wouldn't be in dire financial straits talking about how the game didn't sell nearly enough copies to fund a new game.

This all being said I think the game has ENOUGH of a following, I don't really understand why they don't take a page out of my book and beg. By that I mean either do a kickstarter or a patreon.

Beans00

Augur
I don't really understand why they don't take a page out of my book and beg.
Perhaps they have dignity

So every dev that has used kickstarter or patreon has no dignity?

Listen, it's ok that your mad but you will never live rent free in my head like I live in yours. I feel bad for you getting exposed by luj1 as a shill, so I will NEVER say anything mean to you like I do to jackofshadows.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't really understand why they don't take a page out of my book and beg.
Perhaps they have dignity

So every dev that has used kickstarter or patreon has no dignity?

Listen, it's ok that your mad but you will never live rent free in my head like I live in yours. I feel bad for you getting exposed by luj1 as a shill, so I will NEVER say anything mean to you like I do to jackofshadows.
Kickstarter is not begging.

Unlike the pitiful shit you do, devs that ask money under the Kickstarter scheme, pledge to give something in return to the donors, e.g. a functional game.

While this pledge is not always fulfilled (as we recently witnessed), it still assumes certain equivalence.

n0wh3r3

Novice

So many the Company is officially going bankrupt. I know I'm the last person with any right to say this but: do people ever read what they post before posting?
When I say many people that doesn't mean that they have to be the majority. Many people died from covid still a minority of the population. I didn't know they were going bankrupt anyway.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Colony Ship did really feel like it was lowkey cowtowing to casual market which doesn't purchase Iron Tower games in the first place. Nothing crazy like modern goyslop but I felt it.

Still enjoyed the game enough to not sperg out about it like others, but was disappointed when I realized The Pit was the peak of the game.

Beans00

Augur

Unlike the pitiful shit you do, devs that ask money under the Kickstarter scheme, pledge to give something in return to the donors, e.g. a functional game.

While this pledge is not always fulfilled (as we recently witnessed), it still assumes certain equivalence.

Well I suggested he use kickstarter or Patreon, can you please stop personally attacking me for begging? Every time people say something mean to me Tacgnol ends up feeling guilty and buys me a game. I feel bad but I can't bring myself to say no.

n0wh3r3

Novice

Well I suggested he use kickstarter or Patreon, can you please stop personally attacking me for begging? Every time people say something mean to me Tacgnol ends up feeling guilty and buys me a game. I feel bad but I can't bring myself to say no.
What do you beg for?

Beans00

Augur

What do you beg for?

When people post giveaways on the gift thread I usually reply because I like try new games out!
A few years ago when I was in a debate about the quality of Morrowind Falksi started making fun of me for posting so much in the gift thread!
I think Falksi was taken aback that I did not give the slightest shit and kept getting games in the gift thread, so he stopped saying it and now everyone else does and I still don't care!
I started begging for games randomly and now sometimes people give me free games! So I get free games and it makes people who consider themself my enemy(I have no enemies on this forum in my opinion) mad!

n0wh3r3

Novice

What do you beg for?

When people post giveaways on the gift thread I usually reply because I like try new games out!
A few years ago when I was in a debate about the quality of Morrowind Falksi started making fun of me for posting so much in the gift thread!
I think Falksi was taken aback that I did not give the slightest shit and kept getting games in the gift thread, so he stopped saying it and now everyone else does and I still don't care!
I started begging for games randomly and now sometimes people give me free games! So I get free games and it makes people who consider themself my enemy(I have no enemies on this forum in my opinion) mad!
Do you own Outward?

thesecret1

Arcane
Indeed, Pit was great and I left the chapter thinking "is Codex retarded? This game is amazing!" Then I reached the Hub and quickly understood why exactly people shat on the game

Beans00

Augur
True. If all game was of a Pit-level quality it would be a modern day classic. And it's really difficult to say what did not work. Surely not lack of developers' time.

Well it's pretty clear what didn't work. The game has bad encounters, bad story, bad combat mechanics and a bad skill system.

The pit was by far the best part of the game, I don't agree with your assessment the game would be a modern day classic. It would certainly be on par with AOD or better. In fact if the game outright ended after the factory it would probably have been better.

n0wh3r3 I do not own outward sadly.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The game is flawed but good. Certain areas feel unfinished, itemization is bad and the writing is only passable (and filled with slavic nihilism). However, combat is good, the skill progression is very motivating and there are a lot of skill checks and of consequences of choices. If you liked Fallout, then you should give this game a try.

I have no idea why some user feel the need to shit all over this game in this thread. It reached place three in the GOTY poll for a reason and I'd be quite sad if it is the last game of iron tower studios even though I didn't play any of their previous games.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
The game is flawed but good. Certain areas feel unfinished, itemization is bad and the writing is only passable (and filled with slavic nihilism). However, combat is good, the skill progression is very motivating and there are a lot of skill checks and of consequences of choices. If you liked Fallout, then you should give this game a try.

I have no idea why some user feel the need to shit all over this game in this thread. It reached place three in the GOTY poll for a reason and I'd be quite sad if it is the last game of iron tower studios even though I didn't play any of their previous games.
You're surprised that CODEX of all places, shits all over this and most other games?

What?

Dude you are new.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I liked it, had over 500 hours of fun with it with all the iterations during EA and release.
It tickled my minmaxxers and completionist autism.
Do i agree with all the dev decisions and directions for the game, ofc not, but hey

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Bad writing and gameplay

This is simply the truth. Unfortunately.

Contrary to AoD which is a CYOA that teleports you around, I always believed Colony Ship will turn out to be more of a full-fledged RPG with 'normal' gameplay.

However it seems that their heads are still stuck in AoD systemically and design-wise on some level.

roguefrog

Liturgist
This is exacerbated by all factions basically feeling the same
Yes, and lets literally make their habitats basically the exact same. Why do this? The irony here is this is where the most polarizing and conflicting content should be!

I can't think of a worse stretch of super dull content than Act 2 of Colony Ship!

SixDead

Educated
Wait is Iron Tower dead?
They will probably close the studio, but not because CS flopped, but because Vince wants even BIGGER budget for their next game, and for now CS's sales is not enough for this.
I guess.

I assume that people look at it this way: they made AoD, it sold enough to pay for the next game (Colony Ship), if CS doesn't sell enough to pay for the next game, it failed and was a mistake. In reality AoD didn't sell all that well (which is why we didn't make AoD 2) and paid for 50% of Colony Ship's budget. Some of this shortfall was relatively 'easy' to fix - work longer hours and weekends for 7 years, how hard could it be? Others - not so much. In 2020 we had enough money only to pay the contractors and not the core team. We had to compromise at every step and constantly settle for less simply because we didn't have enough money and manpower. It wears you down more than anything else.

The tentative sequel will require a bigger team and a bigger budget. Nothing crazy but at least one extra designer to share the workload (more like to make it easier to breathe for the rest of us) and more contractors (art and 3D). Probably 25% more overall.

Colony Ship is doing better than AoD in nearly every aspect and metric. Stronger sales in EA, on launch, in the first 3 months, etc.

It will probably generate 60% of that increased budget, meaning we expect it to sell 40-50% more than AoD. The problem is, it won't be enough and neither KS not Patreon will make up for the difference. So we'll continue improving the game throughout 2024 and then we'll see. Maybe we'll get lucky. Maybe we won't

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They will probably close the studio, but not because CS flopped, but because Vince wants even BIGGER budget for their next game, and for now CS's sales is not enough for this.
More like "after working a decade for free on AoD, and overtime for 7 years on CS, VD is willing to call it quits if the market won't bear his games". Sucks for us, but I can hardly fault him or anyone else at ITS over making that call.

Beastro

Arcane
The low point of Colony Ship is definitely Act 2 when you finally reach the habitats. Three habitats all alike separated by a mere hub area. Feels like the same shit, different color.
This is exacerbated by all factions basically feeling the same: they're all dickheads in their own right. Different flavors of dickheads, but all of them just want to manipulate you into serving their shitty cause.
Funny how much of the charm of AoD was that very thing, but not here.

Perhaps they shouldn't have repeated that, even if it could have been better written.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom