Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Yeah Larian did a good job in the first act which was a 10/10 in terms of choices and consequences. But the final act was at best a 6/10, and it was clear they didn't actually finish the main story.
a3 of bg3 is basically tob equivalent

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Did this game make loads of money?
He didn't have TIME maaan for making money. He had to focus on not fleshing out rest of game outside Chapter 1. Seven years is very short time span. Fallout 2, Arcanum and Bloodlines were made in 7 years. With technology from 20 years ago. But Colony Ship... Well, at least it's full of based nigger characters. Like your typical FOX series

Vault Dweller - FOX NEWS Conservative correspondent from Kingdom of Gaming

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He didn't have TIME maaan for making money. He had to focus on not fleshing out rest of game outside Chapter 1. Seven years is very short time span. Fallout 2, Arcanum and Bloodlines were made in 7 years. With technology from 20 years ago. But Colony Ship... Well, at least it's full of based nigger characters. Like your typical FOX series
What's wrong with black people on a fucking spaceship from Earth heading towards Proxima?

Some time ago I had a healthy laugh from retards demanding introduction of people of color in medieval rural Bohemia of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Now I have an equally healthy laugh from retards who can't handle that people in futuristic setting might actually represent all skin tones.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What's wrong with black people on a fucking spaceship from Earth heading towards Proxima?
No Racial tensions. ZERO. On a derelict ship, light years away from NYPD and Earth? Are you my Polish nigga serious?

Game is not SINCERE. Like FOX series with BASED latina cop, and BASED nigger hacker, and BASED chinese woman sniper and BASED old white man leading the team

ZERO! let me repeat: ZERO believability in this or that, hypotetical or already real scenario with Human beings involved

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Nobody except a few autists on this forum wants to play an RPG with shitty CYOA events that remove player agency.
C&C inanity driven to its logical conclusion
Yes, the main problem with both AoD and CS is that they hyperfocus on one specific RPG feature to the detriment of everything else.

There is some exploration, but it takes a backseat compared to the C&C. Interactions with NPCs and factions are heavily railroaded into providing C&C moments. And all the C&C is pretty heavily telegraphed. There's little exploration connected to them.

Compare this to a side quest from Arcanum that feels super inconsequential in the grand scheme but has so many little differences based on how you play it out.
Gnome wizard wants you to destroy steam engine!
- destroy it and kill the dwarf who guards it, nobody knows you did it, you can get a quest to repair it
- destroy it but leave the dwarf alive, the constable now hates you because he knows you did it
Afterwards, the gnome wizard gives you a little delivery quest.
But ho! If you repair the steam engine he considers you a flip-flopping traitor and doesn't want to talk to you anymore.
His little delivery quest will result in him figuring out the formula to turn lead into gold btw, which is mentioned in an ending slide.

Super tiny side quest but it has so much variation just based on how you approach each step, and in which order you do other adjacent quests.

In AoD or CS, most of these choices would be spelled out for you in dialog boxes.
In Arcanum, the choice of killing or sparing the dwarf is as simple as attacking or not attacking him in the combat system. You attack the steam engine to destroy it, then you can just leave the building.

Iron Tower design doesn't let you just attack objects or NPCs. You'd have to click on the steam engine and would then be presented with a list of choices. There's no experimentation. I didn't even know you could spare the dwarf until 15 years after first playing Arcanum, because when you have companions they will automatically beat him to death.
One day I just wondered "Hmm, what happens if I go in there alone, destroy the engine, but then just run out of the building instead of killing the dwarf?" Lo and behold, it had an actual consequence!

Fallout and Arcanum are VD's greatest inspirations, yet while his games have similar C&C they approach it from a different angle.
Fallout and Arcanum often let you explore the area, experiment with your skills on environmental objects, etc. Remember Fallout's skilldex? Just pick ANY skill and apply it to ANY object in the world! A good Fallout successor would take that approach and push it further.

Meanwhile Iron Tower games deliver every situation through a dialog box where you're openly and plainly presented with all available options. There's no experimenting, no exploring, no figuring it out yourself. All you have to do is reference your character sheet and pick the option with the highest skill.

This is the ultimate result of the "character skill above player skill" philosophy when pushed to its extreme. The game almost plays itself because all that matters is the skill points on your character sheet. You don't even have to think about when to use those skills - the game tells you exactly when you can and when you can't!

Absolutely righteous post.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It's not about racism. Fuck racism and fuck niggers. It's about believability. Immersion. Versimilitude. That in Colony Ship doesn't exist with characters. Doesn't exist with gameplay

And #2 problem is CLEAR as day: technical incompetence. Shit tier programmers. You want to tell me that technology from 2001 can create living, breathing, believable fantasy Victorian setting yet in 2020s with power of Unreal Engine when I click button in your game I have to make sounds with my own mouth *PFFT*
:nocountryforshitposters:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Colony Ship is not SINCERE. Cult of Lamb is sincere satanic game about child sacrifice and pedophilic orgies. It sold well. Kingdom Come is sincere game about waking up in 15th century central Europe. It sold well. Age of Decadence is sincere game about survival and game of thrones in post-apocalyptic Roman world. It sold well

Key word: SINCERE. Sincerity is not only factor, others are: fun aka gameplay, art style, programming competency, marketing. Colony Ship scores mid to low in all of those. Marketing is something Vince is alergic to. OFFICIALLY ALERGIC :)

Vault Dweller builds in his mind great new settings/worlds. Why didn't he contact Chris Avellone who, as writer btw, was during his trial cheap as Ukranian whore? BOOM! Writing and marketing improves! Bla bla bla. This that. Only correct answer: HUGE EGO and small balls

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No Racial tensions. ZERO. On a derelict ship, light years away from NYPD and Earth? Are you my Polish nigga serious?

Game is not SINCERE. Like FOX series with BASED latina cop, and BASED nigger hacker, and BASED chinese woman sniper and BASED old white man leading the team

ZERO! let me repeat: ZERO believability in this or that, hypotetical or already real scenario with Human beings involved
Racial tensions in the US are a product of relatively modern history (16-20th century). Colony Ship is set in 2754. Conditions fueling such tensions may have long been a thing of the past.

Besides all passangers of the ship were, at least initially, members of a single Christian sect. Certain universalist religions (Christianity included) promote unity of their believers transcending factors such as nationality, class and skin color.

And when this religious unity finally broke down (after several generations onboard the ship) other lines of divide were drawn.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Racial tensions in the US are a product of relatively modern history (16-20th century). Colony Ship is set in 2754.
So: for all of the existance of USA there were racial tensions. And from History: everywhere in every era - there were. But in 2700s there won't. Ok

Let me quote myself:

That is NOT how games, movies, series were done in West prior to mid 2010s. That is WOKE with brakes

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
...Some time ago I had a healthy laugh from retards demanding introduction of people of color in medieval rural Bohemia of Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Now I have an equally healthy laugh from retards who can't handle that people in futuristic setting might actually represent all skin tones....
Contrary to both popular woke and anti-woke movements, people of color were known and seen around most of medieval Europe, Bohemia (central Europe) included. Rare, perhaps, but known. Now, I suppose the word 'rural' was the focus here. Granted, some backwater villages were completely different from the cosmopolitan areas. Then again, games are supposed to take liberties, and I believe some of those people of color could have settled anywhere across Europe, etc. Vávra's statement, "There were no black people in medieval Czech countries," is rather uninformed.

1. Recently, we found a grave with a black woman in Moravia (Czech Republic), dating to around the 9th century or so.
2. The famous Czech preacher Jan Hus—preaching around the time as KC:D—had one sermon based on "taking an example from Muslims."
3. There's an account of an Arab traveler, one Ibn Fadlan, whose real adventures with Vikings were the basis for the book "Eaters of the Dead" and the famous action flick "13th Warrior."
4. Northern Europeans 'Vikings' had black or Asian slaves, and since we know that there was a possibility to gain 'free man' status, different races might have roamed Europe as people of significance.
5. An interview with a professor of history:
https://psmag.com/education/yes-there-were-poc-in-medieval-europe
etc.

Like, I don't condone this hamfisted overusage of so-called inclusion in gaming and films nowadays, but the real inclusion—someone different from the mainstream from time to time—is on point.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
FAKENEWS and Reddit Redardation. 1000000s of corpses found: white. One corpse, supposedly found from eXtremely ideological researchers: black. [1000000:1]

Yup! Make 50% of French Knights in 100 Year War sassy black women. Suck my horse cock if you pretend it's anything but that. Because it always is

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Colony Ship is in every way epitome of American FOX Conservacuckism. Produced by Dan Crenshaw's run-away clone. There, I said it! :) :cool:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Contrary to both popular woke and anti-woke movements, people of color were known and seen around most of medieval Europe, Bohemia (central Europe) included. Rare, perhaps, but known. Now, I suppose the word 'rural' was the focus here. Granted, some backwater villages were completely different from the cosmopolitan areas.
Exactly. You might have met a black trader in Prague, but why would he venture to an obscure region of Rattay and Skalitz? There wasn't even a Jewish settlement in the area.
Then again, games are supposed to take liberties,
that's exactly what the KC:D didn't want to do: take liberties to appease a loud minority of people believing that the whole world looks like downtown New York.
and I believe some of those people of color could have settled anywhere across Europe, etc. Vávra's statement, "There were no black people in medieval Czech countries," is rather uninformed.
He found no evidence for such a settlement in the period of the game's plotline. So why should he be forced to claim otherwise? He's not employed by the BBC to make up facts out of thin air.
1. Recently, we found a grave with a black woman in Moravia (Czech Republic), dating to around the 9th century or so.
Might have happened. However one black woman (or even a 100) would hardly influence the racial mixture of the region. Her grandchildren, if she had any, were most likely pale already.
2. The famous Czech preacher Jan Hus—preaching around the time as KC:D—had one sermon based on "taking an example from Muslims."
Muslims does not equal people of color, especially black. Medieval Czechs were of course informed of the existence of Islam, but most likely rarely saw any actual muslims, let alone black ones.
3. There's an account of an Arab traveler, one Ibn Fadlan, whose real adventures with Vikings were the basis for the book "Eaters of the Dead" and the famous action flick "13th Warrior."
We also had Ibrahim Ibn Jakub,a Jewish trader from the Caliphate of Cordoba travelling these lands. And yet, he did not settle here.
4. Northern Europeans 'Vikings' had black or Asian slaves, and since we know that there was a possibility to gain 'free man' status, different races might have roamed Europe as people of significance.
Even if those people had children, they were too few of them to alter the racial mixture of the population and simply drowned in the ocean of white people. Besides, KC:D happens centuries later and far from Viking settlements.
Yes, we know that current day professors can conjure grand theories from very sparse evidence.
Like, I don't condone this hamfisted overusage of so-called inclusion in gaming and films nowadays, but the real inclusion—someone different from the mainstream from time to time—is on point.
If the next Warhorse game happens in medieval Prague, I'll welcome the guest appearance of one or two people of color, most likely traders from far off lands. But as far as KC:D is concerned I'm happy Vavra gave no ground to the demands of dumb, uninformed people.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

Racial tensions in the US are a product of relatively modern history (16-20th century). Colony Ship is set in 2754. Conditions fueling such tensions may have long been a thing of the past.

Besides all passangers of the ship were, at least initially, members of a single Christian sect. Certain universalist religions (Christianity included) promote unity of their believers transcending factors such as nationality, class and skin color.

And when this religious unity finally broke down (after several generations onboard the ship) other lines of divide were drawn.

I at first thought you made a great point about races in KCD and Colony but the wall is right, the games setting is one in which people have broken up in tribes and people tend to do that with the most superficial aspects humanly possible, like race but *even* Sex as you know.

It is a fair point that in Colony ship there is simply no racial tension but race is a very insticntual thing, it relates to the propagation of ones own genes and people looking different is the deciding factor there. A Setting like CS in which the tribes are nearly in a permanent (at least) cold war status is a breeding ground for racial tension.

It may not be the utopian "In the future we will al be unified when it comes to race thing" *but* it is very sterile therefore I think it is fair to comment on a lack of sincerity: How people would behave in such a setting has not been thought through, be that because it is a controversial topic or just because it never occurred the developer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Age of Decadence is sincere game about survival and game of thrones in post-apocalyptic Roman world

AKCHUALLY, the fallen empire from Age of Decadence is clearly a hybrid Roman/Arabic civilization, with important characters named "Abu Hassan Ibn Hadad al-Sarabi" and locations such as "Al-Akia". There is no mention of any ethnic tension between these two cultures. Problem? :smug:

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I at first thought you made a great point about races in KCD and Colony but the wall is right, the games setting is one in which people have broken up in tribes and people tend to do that with the most superficial aspects humanly possible, like race but *even* Sex as you know.
While I agree people have a tendency to create divisions, they do not always choose race as the dividing factor.

In USA race became one due to different legal, social and economic positions of whites and blacks.

On a spaceship operated by members of a single religious group different divisions would be formed, most likely along the doctrinal lines. After all Christianity claims "Neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male and female, for you are all one in Christ" and yet throughout its existence it produced a multitude of schisms, heresies and sects.
It is a fair point that in Colony ship there is simply no racial tension but race is a very insticntual thing, it relates to the propagation of ones own genes and people looking different is the deciding factor there. A Setting like CS in which the tribes are nearly in a permanent (at least) cold war status is a breeding ground for racial tension.
Not if the actual lines of division (between the Church, Guardians of the Mission and the revolutionaries) formed accross the racial differences and were deeper and more understandable for everyone.
It may not be the utopian "In the future we will al be unified when it comes to race thing" *but* it is very sterile therefore I think it is fair to comment on a lack of sincerity: How people would behave in such a setting has not been thought through, be that because it is a controversial topic or just because it never occurred the developer.
Look, contrary to modern day wokies and anti-wokies I do not believe that fictional settings should mirror the world we live in, with all its baggage and historical background.

We have racial tensions, but they are rooted in a long history of injustice. In a setting 700 years into the future, dominated by an universalist religion, such tensions might be a thing of the past.

Hellraiser

Arcane
How people would behave in such a setting has not been thought through, be that because it is a controversial topic or just because it never occurred the developer.

I would go with a "because it was not interesting for the developer to explore" and just plain ignored for that reason, which can also overlap with the "controversial topic" part.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Congratulations, you defeated every single one of my points and examples for the particular sake of defeating them.
Despite I said I don't welcome wokism, man, do I disdain extremes on both sides... Just... whatever.

As for, "What's wrong with black people on a fucking spaceship from Earth heading towards Proxima?"
Yeah, nothing. People saying otherwise are clowns.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Congratulations, you defeated every single one of my points and examples for the particular sake of defeating them.
Despite I said I don't welcome wokism, man, do I disdain extremes on both sides... Just... whatever.

As for, "What's wrong with black people on a fucking spaceship from Earth heading towards Proxima?"
Yeah, nothing. People saying otherwise are clowns.
Well, you expected Vavra to 'take liberties' with a historical setting to appease the demands of SJWs. That sounded pretty woke to me. Apologies if I read you wrong ;)

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The Wall is just bleating that his Turner Diary fantasies aren't being fulfilled, even with the rudimentary worldbuilding it's easy to intuit the dominance of ideological/regional group identities and Christian syncretism as a handwave explanation.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
AKCHUALLY, the fallen empire from Age of Decadence is a hybrid Roman/Arabic civilization, with important characters named "Abu Hassan Ibn Hadad al-Sarabi" and locations such as "Al-Akia". There is no mention of any ethnic tension between these two cultures. Problem?
Arabs and Romans are compatible. At least more compatible. Turks, Iranians, Arabs =/ Pakistani. How many Chinese/Japanese rape gangs in France or Britain? What about nigger rape gangs in China or Japan? They already exist with less then 0.1% of population. What lovely ingrediant to add into any demographics soup! Gives really spicy! taste to any country

Also in AoD NPCs make sense. Demographics make sense. Strong women exist: in numbers that make sense and in ways that make sense. Age of Decadence makes sense. You don't

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Look, contrary to modern day wokies and anti-wokies I do not believe that fictional settings should mirror the world we live in, with all its baggage and historical background.

Weird, because that is exactly what I believe in as a "Anti-wokie" maybe there is something wrong with your tribal assesment?

The point however is, is that Colony ship is pretty sterile in the setting, I think it is the major problem with the game especially in the conflict between the factions. Racial tensions could have been one thing that could have been used to make the setting feel more alive.

It's true that you would not have to use racial tension but it's basically served on a platter. Colony ship is a decent game but I would not say it's great, this debate is not how Woke or nor not woke it is but if the developers way of creating a setting and game cost it in the end commercially.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom