Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chronicles of Vaeltaja: In Search of the Great Wanderer - colorful open world grid-based blobber - now on Early Access

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Welcome to the Twin Falls Castle Town! There has been some major changes that you can see from the screenshots.

Screenshot (343).jpg

Screenshot (342).png

Screenshot (341).png

Screenshot (340).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Be mindful what you carry with you as the people of Twin Falls are not that thrilled about a goo of a rotten fish. Even the merchants may refuse to serve you.

Screenshot (397).png

Screenshot (398).png

Screenshot (399).png

Screenshot (400).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
New Chronicles of Vaeltaja video is here! In this video I take you to the Castle Town of Twin Falls kingdom. I talk with NPCs, visit shops, bar, inn, cathedral and castle. There's lore and history of Twin Falls to learn, so prepare to read. I also show in the cathedral how rising 'charisma' changes conversation topic. I hope you enjoy!

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Here's couple of screenshots of the beginning, improved UI and new bushes!

Screenshot (428).png

Screenshot (429).png

UI.jpg

bushes.jpg

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Auto/minimap added and they can be turned on/off in options, but I haven 't decided what information maps will show. Don't mind the placeholder frame.

minimap01.jpg

minimap02.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Welcome to the kingdom of Twin Falls! This is my first gameplay video with commentary showcasing the beginning of the game. I show you how to gather party, spent some stat and skill points, buy some equipment and try to clear a bandit cave (sorry about the old sprites for bandits, I simply thought I had already changed them) with no success.

I hope you'll enjoy!

Graphics and level architecture may change for the final version.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Past couple of days I've added some side-quests. Some of them have alternative way to be solved. Some of those solutions may lead to a longer outcome or even to a new quest. Some quests are not that easy to find in the beginning as there are some variables in play. Some of those quests have small story lines that evolve during the game.

There's at least one hidden character to hire, but you have to find her first and complete a small quest to win her over. I'm planning to add one or two more eventually.

Reputation/honour system added, also 'stealing' skill to the main character which will give the opportunity to try to steal stuff in various places. Reputation/honour may affect how NPCs treat the player and some other things.

Screenshot (531).png

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I'm preparing a demo version for Steam. It is already in testing phase, so it shouldn't take too long.

Demo contains the Great Forest area, which has southern and northern parts and one of the early optional dungeons to solve, if you get access into it (there's two way). The demo ends after the dungeon is completed, but until then player can freely explore the Great Forest and try to find it's treasures and secrets. There's traveling merchant to trade with and one side-quest that has been altered for the demo. This version of Great Forest is designed specifically for the demo, so I've removed all the story elements and some of the mechanics that has no use in this version.

I would be interested in trying to compile a mac build, but unfortunately I don't have one to test with. So if anyone using mac would be interested to test it, please send me a message.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Odd there is combat log but not in actual combat, also can't see if there is party formation if any.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Odd there is combat log but not in actual combat, also can't see if there is party formation if any.
You can access combat log during battle: when the menu pops up press esc or right mouse button and new menu with log opens, there's also auto-battle in the same menu. There's no party formation in battle, so you can't change formation during combat, but you can do it when you're not in combat.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Alright, before I get more feedback about 'broken combat', here's some words of advice:

Chronicles of Vaeltaja contains lots of mechanics in the play, so here’s few gameplay tips to get you started. When spending stat and skill points to characters, balance is the keyword. You won’t get far by placing all the points to ‘strenght’ and weapon skill, that will only lead to a character build that may hit hard, but is unable to wear better armor and sucks at defending. Therefore characters dealing physical melee damage need to find good balance between ‘strenght’, ‘stamina’ and ‘agility’, and weapon and armor skills.

Some battle techniques may need good values in other stats too: for example some bow techniques may deal better damage if the character’s ‘perception’ is good and so on. In battle ‘strenght’ is important for melee characters, and ‘agility’ is important for ranged characters.

Caster character has to find balance between robe, staff and magic skills. For example mage has to increase ‘elemental power’ and the certain spell skill, such as Flame, to increase the power of the Flame spell. ‘Intelligence’ also affects magic damage. On the long run some caster characters, such as priests, can be balanced to be an effective healer, while being able to deal some physical damage.

Main character has the skills, such as ‘speech’ or ‘lockpicking’, which are used to interact with the world, but also stats will have some affect. For example your ‘speech’ skill won’t help much if your ‘charisma’ is so low that nobody wants to talk to you about anything interesting. There is also a slight random element/dice roll for stat and skill actions, so if you fail to pick a lock the first time, try again. But if you keep failing constantly, your skill is too low.

There are also some skills that can’t be improved, such as Shadow’s ‘shadow cloak’ skill and Priest’s ‘cure poison’. That might change for the final release of the game.

W,A,S,D movement, with Q,E for turning. For activation SPACE or mouse left button. ESC or mouse right button to exit menus.

For ‘fullscreen’ press F4.

Known issues:

1. There happens some stutter occasionally, when the game loads cells that it has divided levels into, but optimization will be done for the final release.

2. In Stat&Skills menu when spending points, arrows that allow to increase or decrease skill value don’t align properly. Changing to different character can help the issue little bit, but it won’t fix it. I’ve been looking into it, but haven’t found a solution yet.

3. Sometimes enemy hit boxes doesn’t register mouse cursor properly, so it’s adviseable to choose enemies with keyboard.

4. Because of the unorthodox camera settings to achieve proper gameplay feel, interacting with the gameworld using keyboard may cause a certain issue: You may be facing a door or treasure chest, but SPACE doesn’t activate it. In this case press W and then SPACE.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Released a small balancing update.

1. Now there shouldn't be any other enemies than bats in the first enemy encounter.
2. Party has 750 coins at start.
3. Aesis has now better starting gear.
4. Healing spell should be now little bit stronger.
5. Nikarus (wolves) has now slightly lower strenght.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Released a small balancing update.
  1. Tweaked damage for attack skills and spells, so party's ability to deal damage is little bit better now.
  2. Edited armor and weapon descriptions.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
I've been testing camera zoom when talking to NPCs: When clicking NPC the camera goes a little bit higher and zooms closer to NPC, so conversations have much more natural feel. I'll be doing some more tests and if there's no problems, I'll update it to the demo.

I've also been planning some changes to the skill system, to make it easier to understand, but those changes won't probably come to the demo.

Vaeltaja

Witchgrove Games
Developer
Minor update for the demo: I've added the camera zoom for conversations and updated the Stat&Skills-plugin, so arrows using to increase and decrease Stat and Skill values should work now properly.
I'm also doing some redesigning for the Skill-system for the full game, so those changes will probably not come to the demo version.
Be careful when carrying that goo of rotten fish in your bag!

Screenshot (583).png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom