Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Broken Roads Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have never cared for post-apocalypse games. It's one of the main preferences here though, so I'm surprised by how tepid the interest in this game has been. It looks like it should be a codex darling.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...serve-more-attention-updated-jan-2020.106945/
It deserves mention there i think. Maybe too soon for commercial failure?
It was the 120th top most wishlisted game on steam. It's not obscure at all.
With Baldr's Squid Isekai at 121th, yes not obscure.
BSI didn't even break top 1000 wishlists. Probably not even 2000.

Anything within 200 has hundreds of thousands of wishlists.

They marketed this thing a lot.

rubinstein

Educated
If you're going to name your game Broken Roads, it had better be generally bug-free.
seeing the game is having problem with
from eurogamer review: It's possible that I don't know how much I've missed because of bugged parts of the game not firing. When I contacted the developer's PR to check, it was agreed that I may have missed some dialogue, but also that there will be more added after launch. Maybe in the world where everything was where it was supposed to be, it would be a very different feeling game, and one where the ending didn't feel so bizarre and out of nowhere. But looking at what's present, instead of speculating on what's absent, I think it's more likely that whatever went wrong happened long before I ever booted up the game.
maybe it should have been called 'broken nodes'

Baron Tahn

Scholar
No surprises here. Good on an indie team for trying I guess.

As an Australian in what you would call the 'arts industry' this is frustrsting as hell because we basically dont have such a thing (as a creative arts industry). From the reviews it looks like they tried and failed, something I see all too often with the lack of any infrastructure for games like this here. Mobile trash? No worries. Take a risk on a real game? Git farked mate.

Then again it also grinds my gears knowing that with ten minutes I probably could have done better at designing a narrative/world building for this. Too late now, of course, but ffs if there are any other Aussies round here thinking of doing something similar, for the love of all that is holy send me a dm!

Jack Slash

Literate
Reviews and forum posts in French and Russian complain that the localization has been done with machine translation and little to no human revision. I hate when publishers do that, yet indicate the language support on the Steam page.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Some of the reviews were "revealing" to say the least:

The Victorian Government contributed to the funding through its Assigned Production Investment Games program, as part of a larger initiative that distributed $550,000 across ten projects (Happy Mag). Meanwhile, Screen Queensland, representing the Queensland Government, allocated more than $1 million in total development funding for seven digital games projects, including "Broken Roads."

How dare you charge $31 for 7 hours of game play after receiving such grants.

The whole game was a scheme lmao

agris

Arcane
Patron
From the reviews it looks like they tried and failed, something I see all too often with the lack of any infrastructure for games like this here.
In the main art for their game, they clumsily hung a bag over the woman’s chest to hide her breast. It looks like she’s awkwardly carrying her colostomy bag.

I don’t think the problem is “lack of infrastructure”.

Last edited:

jaekl

Educated
Patron
From the reviews it looks like they tried and failed, something I see all too often with the lack of any infrastructure for games like this here.
In the main art for their game, they clumsily hung a bag over the woman’s chest to hide her breast. It looks she’s awkwardly carrying her colostomy bag.

I don’t think the problem is “lack of infrastructure”.
I think it's actually a knee pad, she may be kneeing her tit or stepping over a toxic male who was rudely getting in the way of her progress

Baron Tahn

Scholar

The Victorian Government contributed to the funding through its Assigned Production Investment Games program, as part of a larger initiative that distributed $550,000 across ten projects (Happy Mag). Meanwhile, Screen Queensland, representing the Queensland Government, allocated more than $1 million in total development funding for seven digital games projects, including "Broken Roads."

This is indeed the problem. Australia gives no fucks for supporting these industries, theres no movie or game 'industry' the really be a part of, which is what I meant by infrastructure - so all of us have to lean on grant funding to make things.

So if you look at those numbers, Drop bear recieved around one tenth of 550k and a seventh of 1 million (AUD, which is worth pretty much bottlecaps to use fallout parlance) to try and develop a game. Im no maths lad but I know that wouldnt be enough for anyone to be quitting their day job unless its one guy full timing it for a few years.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I don't follow the logic here. Sources of funding and how many hours it takes to complete a single playthrough (I understand there's supposed to be a lot of reactivity) don't factor into the price of a game at all. If it's garbage for $31, it'd be garbage for $1.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

I don't follow the logic here. Sources of funding and how many hours it takes to complete a single playthrough (I understand there's supposed to be a lot of reactivity) don't factor into the price of a game at all.

If it's garbage for $31, it'd be garbage for $1.

What does that even mean? If it's garbage for $31, it'd be garbage for $1? Sounds like you're making up bullshit excuses

This game is 7 hours long, gameplay is horrible and none of the systems are well implemented. It's basically a govt subsidized documentary about Australia, but you shills will defend anything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom