Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Breaking newz! Fallout 3 is in development!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
taks said:
oh, and VD, give it up.
What would I do without your advices, taks?

... we all know the official "reasons" behind the creation of BIS. the fact remains that it was the "rpg division" of interplay that became BIS. same entity, different name.
What entity? What has this entity made before BIS was formed? If it was the same group of people who consistently made RPGs at Iply and then got renamed, then I would have agreed with you and anyone else. However, what we have here is a bunch of people who worked on different games in different times. Take a look at Stonekeep, Dungeon Master 2, Descent to Undermountain, and Fallout's credits then compare them to people who formed BIS and made FO2, PST, IWD. There is only a handful of people who had some pre-BIS experience with RPGs at Interplay.

Anyway, like I've already said, Interplay decided to make an RPG division, grabbed a bunch of people from different teams and put them all together under Feargus' supervision. This is NOT the same as taking a few existing teams and giving them a division status.

So, in conclusion, taks, don't be such a noob. You've been around long enough to know these things.

it just pisses you off that troika doesn't get credit that you feel it is due.
lol. Honestly, taks, I couldn't care less about Troika's credits. Neither banks not publishers accept them, so what's the point? Yes, *I* give Troika credit for Fallout. What you or someone else believes in doesn't bother me at all.

Surlent

Liturgist
Soo u guys arguing what volourn said or not said who made FO and when ? :shock: Can't just keep up with all these arguments....

Anyways I didn't find anything new info on that article ?? Doesn't it basically say the same thing we've been guessing over the last year ?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Kids, kids, kids. Just remember that if Volourn said it, it's most likely wrong. Volourn is one of those special people who has the ability to read something and divine the truth from it. Then he disregards the truth and posts the exact opposite.

That's what Volourn is around for, he's the litnus test for how correct you are. If you take a stand on something, and Volourn disagrees with you, then you are fairly safe in concluding that your stance is accurate.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Surlent said:
Soo u guys arguing what volourn said or not said who made FO and when ? :shock:
Slow day

Anyways I didn't find anything new info on that article ?? Doesn't it basically say the same thing we've been guessing over the last year ?
No, it actually managed to say less. They must have had a slow day too.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's one thing we agree on VD. So, why did you spam it as 'news"? Hell, the IRC thing for NWN2 is more news then this. LOL

Saint, no.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I found it amusing"

Be honest. You foten find my post amusing as well. i sure as heck don't see my posts usedas news. Maybe, I *really* should start my own review site. Then, by the Codex Law, that automatically makes me worthwhile of being a 'News post'. It surely couldn't be any worse then some of the other 'Review' sites used as news around here.

R00fles!

Surlent

Liturgist
Well this Todd's quote might be new and I don't remember seeing Sean's comments on FO3.
article said:
Bethesda's executive producer for Fallout 3, Todd Howard, loved the games because they "really let me choose to play a certain character, and the level of immersion was outstanding.
I was that guy on the screen."
Take the last sentence out of context and it becomes somewhat amusing. Isn't Todd that guy who hates Xbows and likes his fantasy "knight on horse killing people" ?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Maybe, I *really* should start my own review site.
Don't you mean "my own early-reviews-that-I-never-finish site"?

Then, by the Codex Law, that automatically makes me worthwhile of being a 'News post'. It surely couldn't be any worse then some of the other 'Review' sites used as news around here.
No arguing here. Most reviews are written by morons. That's not news. If they kept their idiotic thoughts to themselves, we would have left them alone, but since they insist on spearding stupidity all over the net, we have to report them as morons.

So, when you see something like "IGN reviews [insert game]", we aren't reporting the fact that there is another review available, but the fact that someone stupid is typing some crap again at IGN. Reader beware! :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Don't you mean "my own early-reviews-that-I-never-finish site"?"

Only if the games I review are not worthy of a full end game review. But, hey, at least I wouldn't pretend to have completed at all. :D

"when you see something like "IGN reviews [insert game]", we aren't reporting the fact that there is another review available, but the fact that someone stupid is typing some crap again at IGN. Reader beware!"

LOL If I want to read unintelligent, bias reviews I'll just stick to the 'Codex reviews of Troika games. Oh yeah, i forgot, ye can no longer review Troika games! ZING!

Muahahahaha!!!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Spazmo's reviews are unintelligent? Where? Here are the links for your convinience:

ToEE http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=76
Bloodlines http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=113

As for the bias thing, that definition is very subjective. A person who hated ToEE would call anything that doesn't trash the game completely a biased review. Since I didn't have any technical problems with ToEE, I enjoyed the game for what it was - a dungeon crawler with the best TB combat I've seen in years. The game obviously fell short in many other aspects, but nobody ever claimed otherwise.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You are bias in favor of Spaz. Defend your butt monkey all you want. Those 'reviews' just prove my point. If you want to prove the intelligence of Codex reviews; use Saint's NWN review. NOW that's an intelligent review even if I disagree with the ultimate message.

Nice try. Spaz still loses though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You gave the examples. Actually read them without your Spazzkisisng goggles.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Ok, I guess you don't have anything specific to say other then SPAZMO IS TEH BAISED!!11
You lose, have a good day.

Spazmo

Erudite
His butt monkey? Fuck you, Volourn, VD is my bitch. And so are you lololol r00fles etc. Now piss off.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And so are you"

I'll be your bitch anytime. I even have the perfect panties for it.

Fez

Erudite
I know I'm ready! Bring those high cheek bones over here, big boy.

taks

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Surlent said:
Soo u guys arguing what volourn said or not said who made FO and when ? :shock:
Slow day
that's for sure... i suppose we need something to keep the flames alight. :)

taks

taks

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
What would I do without your advices, taks?
there would be lots of confusion and general mayhem.

What entity? What has this entity made before BIS was formed? If it was the same group of people who consistently made RPGs at Iply and then got renamed, then I would have agreed with you and anyone else. However, what we have here is a bunch of people who worked on different games in different times. Take a look at Stonekeep, Dungeon Master 2, Descent to Undermountain, and Fallout's credits then compare them to people who formed BIS and made FO2, PST, IWD. There is only a handful of people who had some pre-BIS experience with RPGs at Interplay.
yes and no... still, the group that did FO1, at least what remained, became BIS. within a company, it is irrelevant that they had the moniker BIS after FO1 was created.

remember, i never gave BIS credit for doing FO1. the difference is subtle but intentional.

So, in conclusion, taks, don't be such a noob. You've been around long enough to know these things.
now, now... well, at least the subtle jabs are better than they were when i first got here... year and a half now, i think. :) hell, sherrif and i haven't had a knock-down in over 6 months.

Yes, *I* give Troika credit for Fallout. What you or someone else believes in doesn't bother me at all.
that's the funny part... 6 of 'em at their peak worked on FO and at troika?... of course, i've heard it said before that there are about 4 or 5 different companies that should be able to claim "from the creators of fallout!" so i guess it's all a wash anyway.

taks

Spazmo

Erudite
Actually, I counted once based on Mobygames credits, and there's a dozen or so people from the Fallout team on the Arcanum credits.

Vault Dweller

Developer
taks said:
yes and no... still, the group that did FO1, at least what remained, became BIS. within a company, it is irrelevant that they had the moniker BIS after FO1 was created.
Ok, that's something specific. Let's see now

Fallout 1 credits: http://www.mobygames.com/game/credits/p,3/gameId,223/
Fallout 2 credits: http://www.mobygames.com/game/credits/p,3/gameId,239/

FO1 had 5 designers, FO2 had 7. Only Dave Hendee was from FO1
Programmers ratio is 8 to 10. Only Reynolds, Kesting, and Hertenstein remained
Art team was reduced from 9 to 6, 4 remained.

So far, it seems that out of 22 core people only 8 were left to join 23 people FO2 BIS team. Not enough to say that the same people did both games under different names. The ratio is even smaller if you count additional programmers and designers

triCritical

Erudite
Not to mention that the real Fallout team would never have allowed Enclave power armor to be created. Or Frank Booth, which is a testament, of why Feargus and foozles are bad for games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom