Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BG3 info from PC Gamer

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Voss said:
And for the record, no, I don't want to see the fear in the orc's eyes. I want a good dialogue system, loads of characterization, a good story, choice and consequences, and a damn fine tactical game where thought and inspiration are *required*.
God damn you for wanting what you can't have: a decent cRPG these days.

triCritical

Erudite
Wanting to see the fear in an orc's eye is code for wanting the combat to suck...

Oh well I just checked in to see what new was coming, and from the looks of what vault dweller wrote, NOTHING!

Seven

Erudite
Zogg said:
You can't say something is "overhyped" until you've had it installed on your computer, played it and you (along with a significant chunk of the gamer community) think it sucks....last I checked. So find something with actual substance to complain about.

So you believe that their hypothetical engine will allow them to convey fear in an emeny's eyes: At this point do I call you a gullible jackass, or do I simply offer to sell you land in Florida. Hmmm... decisions, decisions, how' bout I just leave the choice to you.

Reklar

Liturgist
Seven said:
Zogg said:
You can't say something is "overhyped" until you've had it installed on your computer, played it and you (along with a significant chunk of the gamer community) think it sucks....last I checked. So find something with actual substance to complain about.

So you believe that their hypothetical engine will allow them to convey fear in an emeny's eyes: At this point do I call you a gullible jackass, or do I simply offer to sell you land in Florida. Hmmm... decisions, decisions, how' bout I just leave the choice to you.

Why not sell the land first then label Zogg a gullible jackass?

Zogg said:
What is with all the hateration? I mean, I've been the victim of overhyping in the past (Arcanum) and have since learned to spot it (ToEE) but still suffer occasionally (why did I buy Tales of Symponia again?!)....nevertheless, BG3 is merely in the conception phase of life. Somehow (many of) you guys have shredded that dudes most basic discussion of the game. We don't know *shit* yet.

Where do you people come up with words like "hateration"? Is it some vain attempt to look cool or is it just a lack of vocabulary that drives you make up words? As far as not knowing anything yet, that is true from a technical standpoint, but anytime a PR person speaks with regards to a project they are open to criticsim, or praise, as the public sees fit. In this case, the PR person is making vague and highly speculative assumptions about a product that has not even entered the development phase yet, so as far as most people here are concerned their opinion is just as valid as anyone else because they have consumer market experience. This means, for those lacking understanding, that longtime consumers (buyers) in a particular market (gaming industry market) acquire experience based on observation (and purchasing habits to some degree) and therefore learn to recognize market trends and when to take PR announcements seriously and when to be skeptical. In this case I believe the Codex regulars are definitely justified in their assessment of the situation given their past experiences. You can disagree with that assessment all you want, but claiming that we (Codex regulars) "can't say something is overhyped until you've installed it and played it" is not only incredibly presumptuous, but also entirely preposterous. In short, if you don't like what you read here, tough cookies.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

The Exar

Liturgist
Realy early for comments, but one is sure. The interviewed guy from PC Gamer has a natural hatred for orcs, affinity to the Fear spell , and he surely likes the slow combat:)

Snuffles

Novice
Exitium said:
Before any of you jump to conclusions, turn based games can be just as stunning and epic as any real time game, if not more so. I just don't see a real time game like KOTOR featuring 'epic visuals' consisting of watching the fear in an Orc's eyes. I can, however, see that happening in a turn-based game.
That is what the pause is for in real time with pause, looking at the fear in an Orc's eyes.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Snuffles said:
Exitium said:
Before any of you jump to conclusions, turn based games can be just as stunning and epic as any real time game, if not more so. I just don't see a real time game like KOTOR featuring 'epic visuals' consisting of watching the fear in an Orc's eyes. I can, however, see that happening in a turn-based game.
That is what the pause is for in real time with pause, looking at the fear in an Orc's eyes.

And here was I thinking it was for unexpected toilet breaks? :shock:

taks

Liturgist
Reklar said:
Where do you people come up with words like "hateration"? Is it some vain attempt to look cool or is it just a lack of vocabulary that drives you make up words?
you're right... that guy deserves some stabulation over such a comment...

taks

Anonymous

Though BG3 won't be a direct sequel to the storyline of the first two BG games
It'll have the words 'Baldur's Gate' on the box

Atari intends for the game to have similarly epic scope and feature a large gaming world populated by memorable characters.

There will be a doofus, an evil guy, an insane guy, a sneaky one, a whore, a holy guy and a tough guy, possibly Minsc and definately Drizzt.

It will feature cutting-edge 3D graphics,
Particle effix

although the gamemakes haven't decided whether to license an existing engine or develop a new one.

If they have lots of money they'll get some frilly new engine so fans of the game the engine originates from will somehow be attracted.

Atari ambitious design goal is to make a visually stunning RPG that both lives up to BG's great heritage and evolves the genre.

We took building blocks from games that sold alot and tossed them together, then spend the rest of the production making particle effex

When asked if the follow-up would stick with isometric perspective, John Hight, Atari Executive Producer, indicated that Atari wasn't "afraid to move the camera for cinematic effect.

Obligatory lame excuse for changing something that worked fine but could be changed to generate more sales (not really, but hey, it caters! eh eh?)

[Your viewpoint] will be immersive then the traditional isometric perspective and bring you closer to the action. You want to see the fear in the orc's eye as you blast him with a fireball, don't you?"

Remember the combat in Morrowind? Here it comes again!

BG3 will use the DnD 3.5 rules for an authentic roleplaying experience.

There will be stats and a few feats.

While there'll naturally be a lot of combat, Atari plans to include a wide variety of quests and incorporate non-combat-oriented skills to give bloodless solutions to some quests

New options: Give money, use Intimidate, say Sorry

Hight's bottom-line promise: "It will be epic"

Long, dry, linear and boring.

This PR Translation brought to you as a public service.

Stark

Liturgist
When asked if the follow-up would stick with isometric perspective, John Hight, Atari Executive Producer, indicated that Atari wasn't "afraid to move the camera for cinematic effect.

hee hee. they're not afraid of what??? what's there to be afraid of? Pandering to lowest common denominator?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom