Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bethesda to develop and publish Fallout 3?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
from where?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Does anyone know the entire story? What's with the rumors that Troika almost got it?

suibhne

Erudite
SuperH said:
Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Bright note? At least Carsten didn't get it?

Are you really convinced this is better?

I actually loved Morrowind for what it was - a first-person exploration game with a textually interesting plot - and I still see this as awful news. And Christ, could it have come from farther out in left field?!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I just quit. I quit the madness. This is pure luancy. The one devloping house whose games I have yet to find even one I can enjoy and they get access to a series that is tied for my favorite. Argh.

Who ar ebetter chocies to make FO3?

BIO? Check.

Interplay? Check.

Obsidian? Check.

Atari? Check.

Troika? Check.

Squaresoft? Check.

EA Sports? Cheack.

Activision? Check.

Silver Style? Both

Spiderweb? check.

The Guys Who Made POR2? Check.

Anyone but BETHSEDA. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee...............

agris

Arcane
Patron
is it possible..

The way that Press Release reads, would it be feasible for Bethesda to subcontract FO3 out to someone else while remaining the publisher?

DrattedTin

Liturgist
It says that Howard is the director on the project, so... no, very unlikely.

suibhne

Erudite
Re: is it possible..

agris said:
The way that Press Release reads, would it be feasible for Bethesda to subcontract FO3 out to someone else while remaining the publisher?

The way the press release reads, sure, yeah, absolutely it would.

The way the press release reads, Bethesda can do whatever the hell they want with the entire Fallout license.

Thanks for giving me a sliver of hope that it'll still end up with Troika or Obsidian. The inevitable fall will be all the more painful.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
However, the press release makes it very clear that Bethseda has every intention of devloping it themselves.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Does anyone know the entire story? What's with the rumors that Troika almost got it?

Troika's finance couldn't match Bethesda's late bid. End of story.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
However, the press release makes it very clear that Bethseda has every intention of devloping it themselves.

Damn your eyes, Volourn! Damn them to hell!

I'm going to go crawl under a rock now, probably to die.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Don't worry. i damned my eyes as soon as I gazed on that disgusting bit of news. Disgusting.

triCritical

Erudite
I would have rather seen a company like Troika do it. The only thing that really scares me is that I think the M rating is necessary to keep FO-ism's in. And with Sea Dog's 2, I find this a bit scary.

As for dialogue tree and combat, my first instinct was to be scared and then I thought, why not give them the benefit of the doubt. MW was meant to be like Daggerfall, it was worse, but it was still quality. I think what was good about Daggerfall, a lot of it the managed to still go forth with and succeed in.

I think if they realize that the strengths of Fallout were with the almost tactical combat, social interactions, and post apocalyptic themes, they might do it justice.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
they might not go real-time or fps given the unsuccess of fobos.

ES is a brand with certain qualities. maybe they're looking to go in a new direction with this one.

Ausir

Arcane
Transcendent One said:
Fallout 3 will be like webpages of the Wikipedia encyclopedia *shudder* I think I'm starting to get a fever. Maybe it's just hot outside.

What's wrong with Wikipedia? Unlike Bethesda's games, the Wikipedia articles improve with time.

plin

Liturgist
I agree. Jumping to conclusions that it will be just like morrowind is stupid. Just because morrowind is like that doesn't mean they will make FO3 the same. I mean the lead designer says it's one of his favorite games, you would think he knows what makes it special.

I say just wait before you damn it, but I guess that's not how the codex/hardcore CRPGists work.

triCritical

Erudite
mr. lamat said:
they might not go real-time or fps given the unsuccess of fobos.

ES is a brand with certain qualities. maybe they're looking to go in a new direction with this one.

Exactly what I was thinking. They licensed the Net-Immerse (sp?) engine and Freedom Force shows that you can make a game somewhat tactical with that engine. Elder Scrolls is Elder Scrolls and FO is FO, as long as they remember that, it might actually go OK.

I also like MW for what its worth, until hour 124, where I could not ever play it again.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Alright, so lets face facts and get over it. (Takes a deep breath). Ok, so who do we send over to their web pages to as an ambassador? And what type of message do we send? My favorite so far is "Fuck this up, and we'll bury you under a mountain of your own shit so deep, you'll die from the fucking smell." Truly, truly sad and dissappointed I am, but, if they fuck it up, methinks we can bury them.

triCritical

Erudite
I was an ambassador for FO3 on IPLY boards, and it takes a lot out of you. Especially, when you posse does not come to back you up.

YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ausir

Arcane
What if Bethesda's FO3 = The Fall? Remember how Carsten was talking about a mysterious publisher he has for FO3? And remember how Bethesda renamed Sea Dogs 2 to Pirates of the Carribean when it got the license?

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Ausir said:
Transcendent One said:
Fallout 3 will be like webpages of the Wikipedia encyclopedia *shudder* I think I'm starting to get a fever. Maybe it's just hot outside.

What's wrong with Wikipedia? Unlike Bethesda's games, the Wikipedia articles improve with time.

Oh I like Wikipedia. But I do not like Bethesda shoving it into games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom