Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda: Games must evolve & grow!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Prime Junta said:
Both Morrowind and Black & White are still selling, I understand quite well for games their age. I don't know about The Movies.

So is Dungeon Siege, which is clearly the uber-example of hype and marketting pushing both reviews and sales. Christ, Dungeon Siege was barely a game at all. There's no flippin' way anyone can argue it got rave reviews and massive sales based on anything other than the hype.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
I'm getting revenge on Bethesda by selectively pimping AoD to people who are complaining that they would like to see more depth.

My soul is being redeemed. And baby Jesus loves me.

And I also get to use big words most of the kiddies don't know and the Bethesda filter doesn't realise are naughty words. Happy days. (Drunk and bored, yes. Where's Shagnak these days? I need company on these late night whisky pissups).

EvoG

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Vault Dweller said:
geminito said:
This site is awful and your opinions are not surprising. Why do you work on this site when you could be playing Fallout instead? Please go save humanity from the mutants and yourselves.
Other thoughts by Geminito the Oblivion fanboy

Isn't that Vault Dweller's personal site? The opinions are not surprising.
Your opinions are not surprising and this site is awful.
Why is VD allowed to make comments on the front page? He makes Pete Hines look like a genius.
This site is shameless and your opinions are not surprising.
...Vault Dweller. I think he is probably a robot designed to scan all messages on this site, which is why his opinions are no longer surprising.
This site is awful and your opinions are not surprising.
Those quotes are not surprising.

The fact that you said those quotes are not surprising is not surprising, since I was gonna say that, perhaps surprising everyone.

Huh?

HardCode

Erudite
All of the shit gaming is attributed to the customer. Unfortunately, in the USA, the customer is getting "stupider" by the year. I'm as American as they come, and I'll be the first to say that we are getting lazier and "stupider". So, these lazy, stupid customers buy games that offer "OMG! Look at the pretty graphics!" and nothing more, not realizing that they just wasted $50 or $60. I remember when computers were for smart people. Now, a monkey can operate one and play Oblivion.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
HardCode said:
All of the shit gaming is attributed to the customer. Unfortunately, in the USA, the customer is getting "stupider" by the year. I'm as American as they come, and I'll be the first to say that we are getting lazier and "stupider". So, these lazy, stupid customers buy games that offer "OMG! Look at the pretty graphics!" and nothing more, not realizing that they just wasted $50 or $60. I remember when computers were for smart people. Now, a monkey can operate one and play Oblivion.

If anyone needs to corroborate this, just visit the local EB or whatever and eavesdrop on the conversation you hear.

Lumpy

Arcane
Cimmerian Nights said:
HardCode said:

If anyone needs to corroborate this, just visit the local EB or whatever and eavesdrop on the conversation you hear.
"I hear Oblivion has awesome graphics."
"So I've heard."
"What?"
"Goodbye."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Just because people like great graphics doesn't make them stupid, morons. Perhaps, they're simply looking for different things in a computer game than those who tend to come here.

Idiots.

HotSnack

Cipher
Volourn said:
Just because people like great graphics doesn't make them stupid, morons. Perhaps, they're simply looking for different things in a computer game than those who tend to come here.

Idiots.

Agreed. The articles in Playboy were a real selling point to me. Naked ladies were just a bonus.

2FacedJanus

Novice
From dictionary.com

Evolution: A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.

Oblivion is more simple and worse than it's predecessor... Bethesda says but doesn't have the brains to do that.. correction.. they hardly have brains at all.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Crack that whip
Give the past the slip
Step on a crack
Break your momma's back

When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When something's going wrong
You must whip it

now whip it
into shape
shape it up
get straight
go forward
move ahead
try to detect it
it's not too late
to whip it
whip it good

-------------------

THEY TELL US THAT
WE LOST OUR TAILS
EVOLVING UP
FROM LITTLE SNAILS
I SAY IT'S ALL
JUST WIND IN SAILS
ARE WE NOT MEN?
WE ARE DEVO!
WE'RE PINHEADS NOW
WE ARE NOT WHOLE
WE'RE PINHEADS ALL
JOCKO HOMO
ARE WE NOT MEN?
D-E-V-O
MONKEY MEN ALL
IN BUSINESS SUIT
TEACHERS AND CRITICS
ALL DANCE THE POOT
ARE WE NOT MEN?
WE ARE DEVO!
ARE WE NOT MEN?
D-E-V-O

------------------------

We’ve been crying now for much too long

And now we’re gonna dance to a different song

Gonna scream and shout til my dying breath

Gonna smash it up til theres nothing left

(chorus)

Oooh ooh smash it up, smash it up, smash it up

Oooh ooh smash it up, smash it up, smash it up

People call me villain oh it’s such a shame

Maybe it’s my clothes must be to blame

I don’t even care if I look a mess

Don’t wanna be a sucker like all the rest

Azarkon

Arcane
Cimmerian Nights said:

This reminds me of a conversation I *did* overhear at the local EB recently.

Store Guy: (to me) Hey, just want you to know that if pick up Guild Wars Factions today you get City of Villains totally for free. So, you know, if you want to pick up Guild Wars Factions now's the time to do it.
Gamer (from behind me): What happened to the PC games section, man? You guys totally stripped it! How could you do that?
Store Guy: Oh, man, yeah. You know, I totally agree with your concern. I actually try to carry more PC games, you know. In some other places all they have for PC games is like a bargain bin.
Gamer: Yeah but still, to put PC games on only one shelf. Thats like a crime, man.
Store Guy: Hey I understand your pain, man. I try to promote PC games but you know how most games that sell nowadays are console games...
Gamer: Yeah, but see, maybe the reason you're not selilng many PC games is because you aren't carrying many of them to begin with.
Store Guy: ...
Gamer: Plus you're not offering the trade-in service for them.
Store Guy: ... Well piracy...

Maybe the EB visitors aren't all as dumb as you thought? :wink:

Thrawn05

Scholar
Azarkon said:
Cimmerian Nights said:

Store Guy: (to me) Hey, just want you to know that if pick up Guild Wars Factions today you get City of Villains totally for free. So, you know, if you want to pick up Guild Wars Factions now's the time to do it.
Gamer (from behind me): What happened to the PC games section, man? You guys totally stripped it! How could you do that?
Store Guy: Oh, man, yeah. You know, I totally agree with your concern. I actually try to carry more PC games, you know. In some other places all they have for PC games is like a bargain bin.
Gamer: Yeah but still, to put PC games on only one shelf. Thats like a crime, man.
Store Guy: Hey I understand your pain, man. I try to promote PC games but you know how most games that sell nowadays are console games...
Gamer: Yeah, but see, maybe the reason you're not selilng many PC games is because you aren't carrying many of them to begin with.

I think EB staff are trained to do a little PR spin because I asked the same question when I decided a few weeks ago to pop into my local EB. It wasn't even a shelf of PC games, more like a rack. The newest game on the rack was JK2. It even had Redneck Rampage. All the boxes were busted up too. He too had my "complete sympathies" but kept on pushing Xbox games on me.... BECAUSE OF TEH GRAPHIX!!!

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Thrawn05 said:
Azarkon said:
Cimmerian Nights said:

I think EB staff are trained to do a little PR spin because I asked the same question when I decided a few weeks ago to pop into my local EB. It wasn't even a shelf of PC games, more like a rack. The newest game on the rack was JK2. It even had Redneck Rampage. All the boxes were busted up too. He too had my "complete sympathies" but kept on pushing Xbox games on me.... BECAUSE OF TEH GRAPHIX!!!

Makes me wish someone bought the Funcoland name from Gamestop.....how much cash do we have in our pockets?
I think 1000$ American would be enough.

LlamaGod

Cipher
we are your new family.
where are you now?
will you develop and grow?
this is the tree bending,
this is the last straw.
no one can change,
what may never occur.

naturally we can all argue about anything.
and we do.
oh yes my dear...we most certainly do.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Drakron said:
That stupid.

The reason none removes it because it simply destroys character grow, if someone does that it would simply create a "action adventure" game.

The issue with leveling is the "Diablo issue" where gaining a level does not make anything meaningful beyond getting better stats, level grind exists when the developers created a shitty job at mob balancing and XP gain progression.

Agreed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom