Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate companion illustrations from James Ohlen's Heroes of Baldur's Gate tabletop adventure

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well you say a new thread,thus there must be a new release for getting a new thread. Or are you talking about making a new BG3 thread talking about the early access shit?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
A few responses:

1. Minsc is supposed to look young. He is a teenager/young adult on his dajemma, his ritual of manhood, after all. He isn't supposed to look like a 35-year-old, as he does in the games, especially Shadows of Amn. As to him looking like a fuckboy, I'll leave that to Luckmann, he's the expert on male homosexuality, apparently.
2. As to Xan being gay - doesn't ruin anything; didn't need to be brought up earlier since it didn't matter to the story (it matters in the adventure module, since he's Coran's fuckbuddy and has disappeared). It's an addition made by James Ohlen, the lead designer of the first game; it's present in an official adventure module, so sorry, but it's canon Thac0.
3. As to Xzar's looks - once again, he has MORE clownish make-up in the original portrait, it's just that the change in lighting makes him look very pale (or they changed his skin hue, hard to tell).
4. As to Xzar being a Bhaalspawn - I took the liberty of having a talk with the author, and apparently Xzar is supposed to fill into an existing pattern:
  • CHARNAME - Full control of the Essence; doesn't use it.
  • Sarevok - Full control of the Essence; uses it.
  • Imoen - No control of the Essence; doesn't use it.
  • Xzar - No control of the Essence; uses it.
5. Coran is bisexual, if it wasn't made clear enough. He has at least one bastard child for certain, probably two, possibly more.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons & Dragons/5th Edition (5e)/3rd Party/ DMsGuild/Arcanum Worlds - Heroes of Baldurs Gate v1.pdf

How in the Nine Hells did I miss this? By the way, the best portraits of the Baldur's Gate companions - ever - can be found within. Stalin approves.

EDIT: What the fuck? Xzar was also a Bhaalspawn?

EDIT 2: It's a fucking proper sequel to the events of Baldur's Gate, set between the first and second game.

This book is written with the assumption that it takes place one year after Sarevok and the Iron Throne were defeated (1369 Dale Reckoning).
If Xzar being a bhaalspawn is canon, then Baldur's Gate itself can't be canon since Xzar is not a bhaalspawn in the original story.

And how is that different to the Imoen situation?

In any case, I fail to see why making Xzar a Bhaalspawn was necessary.
It isn't really. A further reminder that there are no deep thoughts or grand plans behind the Forgotten Realms, just random ideas piled on top of each other.

Imoen was more of a case of the developers going:
- Wait, Imoen is POPULAR? Holy shit, we wanted to kill her. Quick, add her back in!
- What about Nalia, Sir?
- Who?

By the way, I didn't know that Drew Karpyshyn looks like a British paedophile.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...zIWCp72ioWw/DrewPhotoCircleBW.png?format=300w

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
I took the liberty of having a talk with the author
How the fuck are you always talking with everyone about this stuff?

Because they have e-mail addresses and Twitter accounts? WotC, Chris Avellone, James Ohlen etc. are not Madonna or Michael Jackson. They'll reply if you write them.

Hell, when I was in university I had regular correspondence with Chris Avellone, including chats, since I was writing a Master's Degree on Planescape: Torment (don't ask).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hell, when I was in university I had regular correspondence with Chris Avellone, including chats, since I was writing a Master's Degree on Planescape: Torment (don't ask).
Give me immediately a link, I want to read a thesis on Planescape: Torment.

They'll reply if you write them.
Then why does Josh never reply to my advances? :despair:

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Give me immediately a link, I want to read a thesis on Planescape: Torment.

They'll reply if you write them.
Then why does Josh never reply to my advances? :despair:

That's weird, you mean Josh Sawyer? He replies within a few hours to most queries. What did you ask him about?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
By the by, this module is yet another official FR source relased AFTER A Murder in Baldur's Gate which straight up refuses to even mention Abdel Adrian. It's always "Gorion's Ward". My Georgian senses are tingling, comrades - Bhaalspawn are back on the menu in BG III.

Gargaune

Arcane
3. As to Xzar's looks - once again, he has MORE clownish make-up in the original portrait, it's just that the change in lighting makes him look very pale (or they changed his skin hue, hard to tell).
Oh, come off it. You're comparing this:
Xzar_XZAR_Portrait_BG1.png
to this:
7e2450d4a1110afb593ef42cd2a54a96.jpg

Then why does Josh never reply to my advances?
That's weird, you mean Josh Sawyer? He replies within a few hours to most queries. What did you ask him about?
He just told you! In what you replied to, it says "advances" right there... Sex, damn you, he asked him about sex!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
By the by, this module is yet another official FR source relased AFTER A Murder in Baldur's Gate which straight up refuses to even mention Abdel Adrian. It's always "Gorion's Ward". My Georgian senses are tingling, comrades - Bhaalspawn are back on the menu in BG III.

You surely mean your unpersoning senses, Comrade Generalissimus?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Give me a moment, there are a few photos that need some... retouching. To be more serious though, with each snippet of information I get more and more certain that the game will actually be about Bhaalspawn. And thus my prophecy as Auraculum on Day 1 of the reveal shall be fulfilled.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Give me a moment, there are a few photos that need some... retouching. To be more serious though, with each snippet of information I get more and more certain that the game will actually be about Bhaalspawn. And thus my prophecy as Auraculum on Day 1 of the reveal shall be fulfilled.
If you are the Prophet, who is the Chosen One?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom