Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Yosharian

Arcane
Bear is well-known in tabletop as being a little bit overrated

Because as you say, most often the damage you want to reduce is physical

If you have the BOOOAALL sacrifice bonus then Tiger is amazing

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well because people don't know how thievery from shopkeepers works. And because BG3 had totally DUMB economy. WTF is with these buying and selling prices?

Shopping without killing shopkeeper is actually rather simple, when you can rise Asterion from death after he'd be killed by an enraged shopkeeper.

Step 1. Force Asterion to bit an enemy to make Asterion happy.
Step 2. Note that Shadowheart can cast interesting L2 spell.
Step 3. try to steal potion of healing and roll natural 1.
Step 4. Either get arrested, talk out of trouble, or ran away from enraged shopkeeper.
Step 5. Notice that shopkeeper is observing ex-thief when he goes near.
Step 6. Press shift to see visions and observe patterns.
Step 7. Sneak into correct area without being seen.
Step 8. Press start of TURN BASED COMBAT. (Or shopkeeper would walk around and see you before you'd steal 3rd thing.)
Rolling advantage on every stealing attempt is massive, and reduces critical failure to 1/400.

Then there is funny matter of moving out to avoid any suspicion from shopkeeper. And the timer runs ONLY when you are on the same map (or perhaps if at least one of character is nearby).

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
finished the thing. Wow it drags, in the end I didnt want to pursue every loose end quest as I just got too annoyed.

final fight was quite epic, im not sure if its possible to solo it? Especially if you go full durge and dont have many allies.

Towards the end something got weird with dice rolls... I was seeing many critical misses while 25% success chance attacks were striking true. On top of that my tanks were being hit a lot, although I couldnt get bothered to investigate and look at logs.

Going back, I could probably drop gortrash during his coronation with confusion spam. If I were to cheese it, Id reroll to get multiple blade bards, chug haste potions and spam confusion while doing defence spins.

Throwing got extremely buggy in a3. Couldnt use it in 25% of the fights due to weird pathing. Sometimes pathing was fine and projectile got stuck along the way anyway. Then final straw was that brain couldnt get hit by thrown attacks at all

question: I've denied gale his crown. Crown is somewhere in the lake. I possess the stones? No idea what happened with those really. Couldnt persuade him to return those to mystra, nor do it myself. For such important item it deserves post mortem I think.

if astarion ascended, would he stay in my party or what happens to him really?

looking at achievements, 12.6% of the players finished the game. That seems high! Especially for game that drags.

very buggy around duke. I didnt rest at all in baldurs gate and went all the way to underwater station eventually. He was just dead there, so I grabbed his body. Eventually after clearing most of the city i started spamming long rests to talk with everyone(mostly getting annoyed, astarion is best as he talks about muh feelings the least). Anyway then I was able to progress with devil lady, she resurrected the guy and wyll is bound for hell.
And here is where it gets buggy. Had few talks with wyll where he mourns his dad. Then some talks about his choice and him returning. Then i think i had another mourning one.
Then i randomly got assaulted by counselor(or some other title) lady accusing me of killing him. My only choice was to use deception that it had to be done or something.

was thinking about writing long review but... a3 drained me. a1&a2 were 9/10 game. a3 is just bad experience, mostly, as there is some really cool content and characters.
Thinking about it we finally got mmo-like boss mechanics in rpgs and its awesome!

abija

Prophet
if astarion ascended, would he stay in my party or what happens to him really?
Yes and you get some of his "minions" as allies in last fight.

abija

Prophet
Not those, the trash mobs present in the estate fights (since he is their master now).

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Pet abilities are infinite use so handy for conserving resources when trying to stretch out rests.

Careful, they have triggers when resting and can pottentially bug them if you stretch like that. Should at least go do "empty" rests after couple of big fights.
I'm such a completionist that it balances out. I think. As others like to point out I haven't made it very far into Act 2 yet (and just restarted again to get Astarion main).

Desiderius

Patron
Well because people don't know how thievery from shopkeepers works. And because BG3 had totally DUMB economy. WTF is with these buying and selling prices?

Shopping without killing shopkeeper is actually rather simple, when you can rise Asterion from death after he'd be killed by an enraged shopkeeper.

Step 1. Force Asterion to bit an enemy to make Asterion happy.
Step 2. Note that Shadowheart can cast interesting L2 spell.
Step 3. try to steal potion of healing and roll natural 1.
Step 4. Either get arrested, talk out of trouble, or ran away from enraged shopkeeper.
Step 5. Notice that shopkeeper is observing ex-thief when he goes near.
Step 6. Press shift to see visions and observe patterns.
Step 7. Sneak into correct area without being seen.
Step 8. Press start of TURN BASED COMBAT. (Or shopkeeper would walk around and see you before you'd steal 3rd thing.)
Rolling advantage on every stealing attempt is massive, and reduces critical failure to 1/400.

Then there is funny matter of moving out to avoid any suspicion from shopkeeper. And the timer runs ONLY when you are on the same map (or perhaps if at least one of character is nearby).
Just use TB ungrouped for the whole thing. Helps to have a Halfling Thief to avoid crit misses. Find a spot out of the red (or create one with Illusion/Performance), get Guidance up, use Invis item if you have to, then hightail it with rest of party when you're done, hit regroup while furthest character is active, then exit TB and walk away. Scrolls, Reagents, Elixirs, and Throwables are ideal for stealing without savescumming. High-end items you can afford to just purchase.

Halfling Ranger is doable with the Ring from the Skeleton under Risen Road and Advantage Gloves from Zhent Hideout, but missing Expertise is tough.

volklore

Arcane
I was pickpocketting stuff with astral knowledge lae'zel withy ring and advantage gloves, pretty much whole game. Though I couldn't steal anything really valuable, mostly consumes and green items.

madrigal

Augur
Find a spot out of the red (or create one with Illusion/Performance), get Guidance up, use Invis item if you have to, then hightail it with rest of party when you're done, hit regroup while furthest character is active, then exit TB and walk away.
No point walking away just fast travel.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Approaching the end of act 2 and the game's really starting to fall apart. The fight against the aspect of Myrkhul or whatever had the camera constantly dropping through the floor and spinning around, and my character spent most of the fight T-posing. Other bugs like duplicating items when looting or moving things between inventories are also cropping up with increasing frequency. Great job Larian.

430am

Educated
Approaching the end of act 2 and the game's really starting to fall apart. The fight against the aspect of Myrkhul or whatever had the camera constantly dropping through the floor and spinning around, and my character spent most of the fight T-posing. Other bugs like duplicating items when looting or moving things between inventories are also cropping up with increasing frequency. Great job Larian.
I had a funny moment like that where you have to jump from a cliff to the top of the monastery so my character took a jump and instead of landing on the roof he plunged straight through the building right into the fucking abyss and never came back, had to reload a bunch of progress to try again.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you have the BOOOAALL sacrifice bonus then Tiger is amazing
AoE melee attack on demand, with bleed, which synergizes with other classes and abilities, is good on its own. With the BOOOOAALL blessing, its both thematic for a barbarian Dark Urge (sacrifice and bleed), but it makes it monk tier overpowered.

Desiderius

Patron
Find a spot out of the red (or create one with Illusion/Performance), get Guidance up, use Invis item if you have to, then hightail it with rest of party when you're done, hit regroup while furthest character is active, then exit TB and walk away.
No point walking away just fast travel.
I'm over doing anything fast twitch. You can get out of range in one turn TB using Dash then take your time with the RT. Can't Fast Travel in TB. Sometimes you don't have the waypoint yet to get back either.

abija

Prophet
I always left rest of group there, the vendor would question one of them, answered I did nothing and went fine.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Cheesed my way through the fight against Balthasar. The secret ingredient was Drow Poison that made him asleep, so he could not summon his 20 helpers.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
huh, completely missed this. And it just so happens that im planning solo durge playthrough. Wyll, you will not have to wait in grove for goblin attack.

Speaking of, what would be my meta path? Thinking arcane trickster(deep gnome for advantageous sneaking and saves, also murderous maniac should be short).
- get to grove, steal beast bow, start working on proper weapon:
- get to ogres, obtain horn
- get to goblins, obtain archery bracers
- get to gnoll champion, win with horn. Obtain circlet to set my int stat
- kill zhents, get chest, get to zhents hideout. Obtain titan bow(no prof, hence bracers)
- get to underdark, reach mage tower, drop all the way down to save time&proceed faster. Get hidden 19str stick on top. Perhaps utilize bless stick for +2d4 on spell rolls? Dunno how well it works and if i need to keep it equipped

Aaaand then I'm ready to rumble with +4 str dmg bonus to titan bow. Also 19str happens to be enough to throw humanoids

Desiderius

Patron
Cheesed my way through the fight against Balthasar. The secret ingredient was Drow Poison that made him asleep, so he could not summon his 20 helpers.
Using a basic weapon coating available at lvl one is now cheese.

What does that even mean?

Desiderius

Patron
huh, completely missed this. And it just so happens that im planning solo durge playthrough. Wyll, you will not have to wait in grove for goblin attack.

Speaking of, what would be my meta path? Thinking arcane trickster(deep gnome for advantageous sneaking and saves, also murderous maniac should be short).
- get to grove, steal beast bow, start working on proper weapon:
- get to ogres, obtain horn
- get to goblins, obtain archery bracers
- get to gnoll champion, win with horn. Obtain circlet to set my int stat
- kill zhents, get chest, get to zhents hideout. Obtain titan bow(no prof, hence bracers)
- get to underdark, reach mage tower, drop all the way down to save time&proceed faster. Get hidden 19str stick on top. Perhaps utilize bless stick for +2d4 on spell rolls? Dunno how well it works and if i need to keep it equipped

Aaaand then I'm ready to rumble with +4 str dmg bonus to titan bow. Also 19str happens to be enough to throw humanoids
Just use HG Elixir

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Using a basic weapon coating available at lvl one is now cheese.

What does that even mean?
It means avoiding a big boss fight by finding a weakness that the boss is susceptible to. You can also call it clever instead of cheesing.

abija

Prophet
Difficulty of this game is such that using consumables (special ammo/potions/elixirs/scrolls) feels like cheesing instead of required.

Yosharian

Arcane
Difficulty of this game is such that using consumables (special ammo/potions/elixirs/scrolls) feels like cheesing instead of required.
Using almost anything is cheesy in this game. At least half of the items don't work as intended or are ridiculously OP, the feat balance is all over the place, and so is class balance.

This wouldn't be so bad if the hardest difficulty actually presented a reasonable challenge

Games in general these days are piss easy even on the hardest difficulty, presumably so that console players and other mentally retarded people don't feel insulted when they can't win

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom