Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atari going the way of Ineptplay?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Atari goes under. Sells the license to Bioware for 1 USD. We suffer trough eternity with a never ending amount of realtime with pause D&D combat fests with 'the chosen one must choose' stories. Weeee.

obediah

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Atari goes under. Sells the license to Bioware for 1 USD. We suffer trough eternity with a never ending amount of realtime with pause D&D combat fests with 'the chosen one must choose' stories. Weeee.

Never look a gift-pause in the mouth.

To be honest hearing this:

"We've implemented an exciting real time combat engine so you don't have to sit around waiting for the computer to move. For challenging encounters, our pause feature allows you to take full control of the situation."

didn't hurt me nearly as bad as this will-

"Our streamlined, even more exciting combat removes the need for intrusive pauses in combat."

corvax

Augur
DemonKing said:
Please, please, please let the D&D license go to someone that can make use of it.
Words of wisdom - fuck D&D. I'm all for non D&D, non medieval fantasy Rpg's.

Drakron

Arcane
Role-Player said:

Unfortunatly who holds the D&D license as well Atari stock is Hasbro, in the event Atari ceases to exist Hasbro would simply regain the license and they would sell it again.

Atari going down is also unlikely, they would likely be absorved by another company before that happned.

Antagonist

Liturgist
This doesn't bode well for NwN 2 development and post-release support even if the game is not as buggy as the first one. Guess Feargus didn't expect to be associated with a nearly bankrupt publisheragain so soon after the debacle with Interplay.

Contrary to Role-Player I'd wish Bioware would get the DnD license so they could re-licence it to their buddies at Obsidian Entertainment who in turn could conjure some mighty voodoo magic in order to raise Jefferson from the dead.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
My only gripe with the possibility of Bioware getting the license is that their formula is not something I'd care to see being constantly applied to the franchise or even the genre itself. I think they can make good D&D games but not necessarily good D&D CRPGs.

DemonKing

Arcane
Role-Player said:
My only gripe with the possibility of Bioware getting the license is that their formula is not something I'd care to see being constantly applied to the franchise or even the genre itself. I think they can make good D&D games but not necessarily good D&D CRPGs.

Besides, if Bio got the license who would produce all those D&D RTS and MMPORPGs that the fans so obviously want????

Seriously though, I doubt Bioware would acquire the license as they are a developer rather than a publisher. It would be far more likely to go to Vivendi, Activision or...horror of horrors...EA.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Bethesda is a publisher. Maybe they could get it. Any picks for which publisher you HOPE would get it?

Drakron

Arcane
My guess is NOBODY would get it, Atari got the license because Hasbro have a part of Atari.

If Atari goes under Hasbro would likely just sell the rights on a case by case, no company would have the exclusive rights.

obediah

Erudite
Drakron said:
My guess is NOBODY would get it, Atari got the license because Hasbro have a part of Atari.

If Atari goes under Hasbro would likely just sell the rights on a case by case, no company would have the exclusive rights.

Sounds potentially good to me.

Although, I was just getting used to the idea of

"Gary Gygax's: Eberron Rumble 2010 : Your favorite RTS is back this year with over 7 new exciting commentator exclamations, including " His build queue is bursting at the seams", and "Oh no you didn'", several meaningless changes to unit names, a new round of product endorsements, and we've fixed 3 of the 1047 reported bugs from last year!"

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Way to go Drakron. I was hoping for a sharing of RPG fan fever dreams and you had to crash the party with a reality bomb. What I'd REALLY like though is an RPG using Chaosium's BRP Call of Cthulhu. Maybe if the shooter game does well enough someone will see the light and make an RPG. I'm ignoring the voice in my head saying that it will only result in more shooters.

Kuato

Liturgist
Who cares what happens to D&D Hasbro obviously doesn't and Atari makes what little money they have from dragonball not D&D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom