Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Ashes] Forgotten, but back in the works

EEVIAC

Erudite
Resle released a tech demo a while back, although I'm not sure if its still available. The engine was silky smooth. By the way, are these Higardi from Wizardry 8?

resle

Novice
EEVIAC said:
Resle released a tech demo a while back, although I'm not sure if its still available. The engine was silky smooth. By the way, are these Higardi from Wizardry 8?

No it's not.. actually it's a "supermale" md2 model I found, which was part of a Quake 2 mod. To this untextured model, I applied some Ultima IX textures :) Quite a patchwork!

Yes, I released a tech demo of what was the old engine. I won't do the same error again: that thing was nothing but a bunch of 3d object sticked together - and there were wandering animated objects which hadn't a clue about pathfinding..

resle

Novice
Just a quick note (more of a self-reminder I need to write here otherwise I'd lost motivation): found a nice 3d artist who goes under the name of ShadowMoses. He worked some test models but then I had to put him on hold because I couldn't work on ashes for a month (travelling for work).

Development restarted on the first day of April: I decided I couldn't stand some cranky structures of the engine anymore and rewrote them from scratch, which took this whole week. Another week or two to reflect the same changes on the world editor, and some new screenshots will surface.

Linedog

Novice
You must know how sad the present state of crpg's is. I think that many on this forim would be more than willing to give this game a try. I really like what you have shown so far. Hang in there. I, for one am anxious to play your game.

resle

Novice
Sigh, yes. When there's just one coder you don't have much room for optimization. It's not even a matter of speed, the game runs smooth even on a Pentium III 800mhz with an old TNT2 card... but there are things like the stencil shadows and particle system for rain and snow which I couldn't spend time coding for each card - so I just used the shiny new extensions of the latest gpus...

resle

Novice
Since ShadowMoses joined the Ashes project, things have been improving a lot. He's producing models which look awesome in 3dsmax... and even better in the game engine! Have a peek at our first screenshots with some basic furniture. Some issues are still to be solved, but things are really coming together thanks to his efforts.

99_1.jpg

99_2.jpg

Fez

Erudite
The game is looking good so far, just remember to include a RPG in there somewhere. :D

Baley

Liturgist
Hmm...Tasty screenies :D

Tho I don't give a rat's ass bout graphics in RPGs :wink:

Fez

Erudite
Never. He took our advice about the alcohol drip.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Hey, it's cool you like the screens! i was worried about the much feared codex backlash! ;)

Anyway, this is the first time i've seen the models / textures in the game and i'm gonna have to make a few changes! :)

Wysardry

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did the site move to another URL? The images and links are currently broken.

resle

Novice
Ooops. The url is the same but I reorganized folders. Also, today my host provider is replacing a couple servers so that could be a problem too.

resle

Novice
Coding, coding, coding. Models, models, models. Both I and Screaming_Life are back on track, it seems. So here's a new screenshot: as you can see there's a dialogue system now. But there's more: item interaction, npc schedules were reworked, each object has a "sound shader" (meaning that it has different sounds linked for when you step on it, drop it somewhere and so on).

conversation.jpg

Now I am struggling to find some portrait artist :) Any hint?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, what's with the edge on the graphics? They kinda look unique though. I mean, you can't win on good graphics so going for an interesting style seems a better choice. I'd ditch the edge though.

It also might help to not focus on the graphics so much and instead work on getting the other systems "done". I mean, if you come up with a great story and start working in characters (even if they're all the same model). You might generate some interest then and when people play the "great story" but sucky graphics, they might offer to help.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
Yeah, what's with the edge on the graphics?

I believe that's cel-shaded to a certain extent. It's not too unique (lots of console games have been using it the past couple years).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom