Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News APRIL FOOL: Bethesda: Obsidian To Develop Fallout Sequel

aboyd

Liturgist
Here's a question: if this is such compelling news that we wanted to believe it even after we knew it was a hoax, then why wouldn't gaming companies do this? I mean, isn't that like leaving money on the table? If there is a need, shouldn't a company's executives think, "hmm, might be money there"?

I guess what I'm asking is, why is a company ignoring a home run opportunity, and instead letting the less compelling concept take a swing? Do these companies dislike money?

I continue to think the same thing about Planescape. PS:T did so-so for its makers, but now it has grown in legend. It seems like a sequel would be like Star Wars -- even if it's average, it's going to make a lot of money. There are just too many fans, too many people in the market with influence who would be advocates for anything Planescape.

Oh well. I'm sure FO 3 will be just um, whatever.

Saran

Scholar
Becuase PS:T wasnt a so-so game saleswise, it did pretty badly.

Yeah, people like myself buy it to see what we missed, and every now and then either Ross Atherton or Kieron Gillen or one of the lads at PC Gamer UK bring it up and fawn over it, but for the most part it could be best described as a cult hit.

That doesnt mean that we will never see another game set in Sigil, perhaps it might even be set soon after the events in Torment, but it is still too risky to make a game with a strong narrative in the current market, if they were to announce a sequel tommorow i would be a bit wary of it turning out as nothing more than a hack n' slash game, something along the lines of Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance.

As for the idea of FO4 getting handed over to Obsidian, well, look at it like this, which game would you buy if they were to be released within a short space of each other?

FO3: Developed by Bethesda, brand new engine, more than likely fully 3d with an over the shoulder pov, or maybe FPS (But i doubt it, since the FO fandom will have pipebombs in the mail to Bethesda a few days after they learn of the decision.)

Will follow the conventions laid out by BI, but will probably stick in a few things that they think will work.

FO4: Developed by Obsidian, which has some of the old lads from BI, will be based upon the ideas set forth by the Van Buren project, will more than likely be a new engine with a 3d over the shoulder POV (But if you believe some of the fanboys the only way the guys at obsidian would make a sequel is if its an old isometric pov, using the old engine, becuase after all, Obsidian are perfect angels of the one true god.)

Will be pretty much a carbon copy of the atmosphere seen in the previous FO games, not many changes if any, so that they wont have to worry about hitmen.

Now, what one do you think the average FO fan would buy considering that if they wait for FO4 they wont miss out on anything since FO4 wont be a continuation of the events of FO3?

Slaughter

Educated
If they wish to change the game dramatically, they should at least call it something else. Fallout 3 should be reserved for a true sequel, or be buried with honour. Fallout Oblivion for instance...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
A good joke. I fell for it and I really thought that it was good news :D . It'll be funny when Obsidian really does FO4.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Elwro said:
A good joke. I fell for it and I really thought that it was good news :D . It'll be funny when Obsidian really does FO4.
Fuck, I'll be happy if they do FO3.
Or slip me 50 bucks and two tabs of LSD and sell me a cheap hooker who can fullfill my dreams, which pretty much amounts to the same thing.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
HadesOne/Visceris takes it HARD:
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=32773

Some bits of gold:
"I still say that Bethesda and Obsidian should seek legal action against Exitium and RPG Codex for what was clearly misinformation about their respective companies and products done so in a malicious manner."
Enjoy. It's 7 pages long and it's filled with Visceris's and Darque's rants about what an evil prank this was.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Well, apparently, it really pissed off Visceris, so it was totally awesome just for that."

Everything pisses of Viseries - even games he rates nearly 90%!

Fez

Erudite
HAHAHAHA! Classic stuff, Ex. It makes all the more worthwhile. The rants are gold.

Visc and the rest prove themselves to be turds.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
As far as I think some overreatced to this thread; those who registered from her eover there just to cause trouble are just as bad. I mean, R00fles!

Deathboy

Liturgist
Volourn said:
As far as I think some overreatced to this thread; those who registered from her eover there just to cause trouble are just as bad. I mean, R00fles!
Surely you can't mean me?
:oops:

Shagnak

Shagadelic
By Cthulhu's holy trouser leg, that's some funny shit in that thread.
And I have only read the first page or two.

From Volourn's post I understand some Codex Commando's have joined the fray? Must go back for a peek...hehe

I still say that Bethesda and Obsidian should seek legal action against Exitium and RPG Codex for what was clearly misinformation about their respective companies and products done so in a malicious manner.
Bahahahahahaha!
:roll:

Deathboy

Liturgist
Anyway am I the only one who raised an eye brow when Voly starts complaining about trouble makers?

Pots and Kettles

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ROOfles

Fuck I'm still doing it :evil:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Anyway am I the only one who raised an eye brow when Voly starts complaining about trouble makers? "

LOL But no.

I don't make trouble. I just don't hide from it. If someone throws shit; I throw it right back - and the more foolish theya re the harder the shit I throw. Sometimes even 10 day old shit if they really are retarded!

Muahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Fair enough"

Bah! This is the sort of shit I'm talking about. Political correctness such as this deserves to have shit thrown right back at it! Bah, the agreeable are boring.

Deathboy

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"Fair enough"

Bah! This is the sort of shit I'm talking about. Political correctness such as this deserves to have shit thrown right back at it! Bah, the agreeable are boring.
Fair enough

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Oh, I can handle it. Justd epends what theya re agreeing to.

If I tell ya to, "Suck my dick!" and you say,"Yeha, sure, I will!". That's awesome!

Deathboy

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Oh noes!! Volly the contrary little bitch can't handle someone agreeing with her!
Volly needs a good tupping and I know just the man to give it to her.....

Where's that Fez, he was round here not long ago?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom