Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AG.ru gives Oblivion 79%

User was nabbed fit

Isn't it interesting how the Gamespy review, or this one (or any review that isn't praising it as the best game evar) isn't featured on:

http://elderscrolls.com/links/links_obreviews.htm

? It just seems like that's more of a list of everyone who took part in the "Blowjob" competition.

Ah... who am I kidding.

Thrawn05

Scholar
ViolentOpposition said:
Isn't it interesting how the Gamespy review, or this one (or any review that isn't praising it as the best game evar) isn't featured on:

http://elderscrolls.com/links/links_obreviews.htm

? It just seems like that's more of a list of everyone who took part in the "Blowjob" competition.

Ah... who am I kidding.

To side with Lumpy (or was it TinTin that said somthing like this?), if you owned a private company would you want to showcase lackluster reviews? The answer is no.

User was nabbed fit

Yeah, that's why I said "who am I kidding".

Nael

Arcane
This review doesn't surprise me. The Russians are completely used to being lied to so they tend to see through the bullshit much better than their American counterparts who still haven't woken up yet to the fact that people with alot of power/money will say anything to retain it all.

Cheers for the translation Metallix.

Atrokkus

Erudite
This review doesn't surprise me. The Russians are completely used to being lied to so they tend to see through the bullshit much better than their American counterparts who still haven't woken up yet to the fact that people with alot of power/money will say anything to retain it all.
No, it's just that most of western magazines are in one way or another bonded with Bethesda, and are licking its shiney ass. AG.ru woudl perhaps do that too if not for the recent set-up with the preview...
Anyways, it's all about being independent from what you are criticizing.

Cheers for the translation Metallix.
Thanks. Pleasure is mine.

Imbecile

Arbiter
metallix said:
AG.ru woudl perhaps do that too if not for the recent set-up with the preview...
Anyways, it's all about being independent from what you are criticizing.

Was that deliberate :P

Out of curiosity, how was Oblivion generally received in Russia?

Balor

Arcane
I'd say pretty well. It is rather too demanding for most PCs, though... and besides, the game is indeed not THAT bad. In fact, it's rather good - provided you don't dig too dip trying to find RPG in it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
According to a couple of angry PMs and some informative PMs, Russian idiots are as stupid as North American idiots, so we have a lot more in common than we thought previously.

Atrokkus

Erudite
According to a couple of angry PMs and some informative PMs, Russian idiots are as stupid as North American idiots, so we have a lot more in common than we thought previously.
I wholeheartedly concur. There is no difference at all.
Remember I compared Nomad (the reviewer) to our very own VD? For a reason: the angry cun-- TES-fanbois at AG.ru have repeatedly engaged in heated flame-wars with Nomad and the other reasonable people for criticizing the obvious flaws of the game and forming a rather realistic but oh so not very pretty picture of their favorite franchise.
Note that the AG.ru fan rating was way over 90%, and counting.

It is rather too demanding for most PCs, though.
Not THAT demanding, if you know the ropes. Recently, I made the goddamn thing run on Geforce 3 Ti (Athlon 1700, 512 mb), which was officially unsupported. Cuts down most of the purrty images, exposing the true nature of things.

Balor

Arcane
Yea, idiots are everywhere, heh. Only thing that matters is their ratio to intelligent persons, and if those idiots are in charge or not.

Excrément

Arbiter
I didn't know the best video game journalists around the world review a game according to the PR department of the company developing the game. that's interesting.

bethesda didn't suck my dicks = your game is shit
bethesda bribes me = your game is so, so good.

ah, maybe it explains why the Codex is so Oblivion-sceptic.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If Bethesda threw some cash the Codex's way, at least it'd help buy new servers as this site is always down.

User was nabbed fit

Excrément said:
I didn't know the best video game journalists around the world review a game according to the PR department of the company developing the game. that's interesting.

bethesda bribes me = your game is so, so good.

ah, maybe it explains why the Codex is so Oblivion-sceptic.

Or, maybe if those Bethesda dipsticks didn't try to market Oblivion as a "teh greatest RPG of all time!", we wouldn't feel like castrating them?

But oh god, I do love this straw man; "if you don't like the game, then I bet that it's because Bethesda doesn't treat you in a special way/like you, na-na-na-ner-ner!".

Excrément

Arbiter
ViolentOpposition said:
But oh god, I do love this straw man; "if you don't like the game, then I bet that it's because Bethesda doesn't treat you in a special way/like you, na-na-na-ner-ner!".

who the fuck said that?

User was nabbed fit

Excrément said:
ViolentOpposition said:

who the fuck said that?

You, Shit;

You seem to think that only people who didn't get ass-licked by Bethesda gave Oblivion bad scores, because they were jealous of those that did get ass-licked.

Wake up call: if you're a reviewer, you can sometimes *gasp* give an insanely overhyped game like Oblivion a bad score, even if its developers didn't suck your dick, and do so for reasons other than the previous... like maybe because, hey, it's really a shit game? And not because you've got a grudge with its developers?

After playing the game for quite a bit, I deem it safe to conclude that Vanilla Oblivion is a very shitty game. However, the ability of modding is something that has saved this game from Room 101, and I actually enjoy it as an action-adventure type romp. But on that last note, I believe that a game should be reviewed based on its content out of the box... not on "how good it can be with 3rd party materiel" (mods), thus, Oblivion deserves every-shit-review-it-gets^1000 to make up for all its undeserved ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom