Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline After just finishing Thief 3 I can say that people who claim that Thief 3 is good are delusional

After just finishing Thief 3 I can say that people who claim that Thief 3 is good are delusional. Aside the bugs and other engine issues, the biggest problem are the small and underwhelming levels, overall being short and lacking challenge. By itself in a vacuum its a mediocre game at best.

Thief 3 is for Thief series is what Deus Ex 2 is for Deus Ex series, a failure and a disappointment.
You're just playing it wrong.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Its definitely a down-grade to Thief I/II and I was highly disappointed when I played it for the first time at its release. But having replayed it 2021 with mods and patches my view has turned more positive. Its not among the greatest, but far from shit. The Gold patch and a bunch of mods make it worth playing. Especially the mod that removes third person view and the strange blueish glow of everything. Its not like there are many options so its possibly getting a bit of a bonus due to "starvation", but after fan missions and the dark mod its the next best thing.

I also liked the optional Ghost Ship mission, It was also one of the creepier ones, even though it was of rather simple design. But there are a lot of references in the game to it if you pay attention. Exploring it and getting to know what happened was well done. It is one of the few instances where a mission was well embedded into the explorable hub design, although I would have preferred overall better and larger missions instead of the mostly unnecessary city hub.

I found my old post with the mods and I recommend using them 100%

Thief 3 Gold is a must have mod. It removes many of the loading screens and merges maps that were separated in the original by ugly blue fog transitions. The convenience package is the "Sneaky Upgrade" that comes with Thief Gold, the Minimalist project, Texture packs and a configuration tool. All in all a massive improvement of the original release and brings it much closer to the brilliant predecessors.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom