Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Activision not bright enough for Bloodlines

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
Youa re an iidot. Do not disucss games or series of games that you obviously haven't played. You are a moron.

What the hell are you talking about, Volourn? I'm not proud of it, exactly, but I've finished FF3, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

Eat it, vidboi.

suibhne

Erudite
Are you seriously suggesting that FF games are nonlinear and offer multiple solutions?

That's about as ridiculous as your Firewine dungeon comment. Just when I think I agree with you about something, you pop off with some perspective apparently scraped off the underside of a rock. :lol:

plin

Liturgist
The final fantasy games are not complex in the least. The only one that was complex at all was tactics (and that was just in stats and the way you wanted to take your characters).

Are you talking about the job system in FF5? Sorry, not complex. Perhaps the amazingly complex materia system in FF7? Nope. The brilliance of the esper system in FF6? Wrong again. :roll:
Perhaps you mean the linear stories? Good luck there. :shock:

Pleast elaborate volourn. I am interested in what exactly was complex in these games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Meh. The complexities of the FF 'verse is beyond such simpletons as you two it would be waste of time to elaborate.

plin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
I'm wrong, but I'm trying to save face. R00fles :shock:
Next

Please, elaborate. Give some examples. It's no waste of time, help us poor ignorant fools. We're all ears (eyes).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Meaning you've been served and don't want to admit it."

Is that the best cumback you got? Weak. Very weak. And, wrong.

"I've played all the FF's. Nothing complex about them."

Another simpleton.

"Why do you think they appeal to all ages?"

Really? I see very few (ie. none) 5 year olds playing FF and *understanding* it.

I'd wager that Vampire would 'appeal" to all ages as everyone loves vampires.

R00fles!

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Meaning you've been served and don't want to admit it."

Is that the best cumback you got? Weak. Very weak. And, wrong.

Then prove it by making your point. Otherwise you're just all smoke and mirrors. So, because I played all the FFs and found them not to be complex, I'm a simpleton? Fuck you, Vol. Ante up or shut the fuck up. Simple as that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Then prove it by making your point. Otherwise you're just all smoke and mirrors. So, because I played all the FFs and found them not to be complex, I'm a simpleton? Fuck you, Vol. Ante up or shut the fuck up. Simple as that."

Cum to 644 Lakeshore Dr Unit 36, North Bay,k ontario, Kanada and make me shut up.

The reaosn I'm not going into detail is quite frnakly *anyone* who has played the Ff series and is gonna be honest knows full well theya re just as 'complex' as other games including Troika's.

Deal with it.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
No. They're not. And to prove I've played all of them, ask me anything about them. Go ahead. There hasn't been a complex console RPG yet, with the exception of Tales Of Symphonia and even that's not complex unless you want to delve into the intricacies of the skill system. That's not necessary to beat the game though.

So, come out of that corner and prove they were complex instead of hiding behind bullshit like "Oh, everyone who's played those games would know they were complex."

My ass.

I've played them. All of them. No complexity at all. Just linear, do quests one way only, RPGs. Nothing more. Even X-2 was linear. You just got to choose which order you did the missions. They still could only be done one way.

LCJr.

Erudite
I've come to the sad conclusion the Troika just isn't that good of a game developer. I had high hopes for them when they started out and then I played Arcanum. They have the creative talent to come up with good ideas but the end product ends up buggy, poorly implemented, unbalanced and feeling rushed out the door.

And as for this whole publisher/QA what's the problem thing I have say BULLSHIT! Troika made the game and it's there name and reputation that's on the line so they'd damn well better make sure it works before they release it. Do they honestly think they can keep putting the blame on the publisher and people will keep buying their products? Or even find another publisher?

Seriously how many of you think you could get away with that in your job? "Well I'm sorry about the poor product/service Mr. Customer but my job is so complex and Mr. Supervisor/Company Owner didn't allocate enough funds for proper QA." Right...

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Why are you not backing up your bullshit, Volourn?

Where's the complexity? Please tell me. If you can point out complexity in the later FF games, we can go from there.

plin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"
The reaosn I'm not going into detail is quite frnakly *anyone* who has played the Ff series and is gonna be honest knows full well theya re just as 'complex' as other games including Troika's.

Deal with it.

Why do you lie? Quite frankly, anyone (minus stupid people like yourself) who has played both say, arcanum and bloodlines, and played all the final fantasies, would know just how un-complex the final fantasy games are.

Deal with it (of cource you won't, you'll continue to spew this bullshit lacking all logic and reason. But that's fine. That's what "volourn" is, just a joke.).

Again, you have no argument. Especially, ESPECIALLY, when you can't give any examples of FF complexities because "ahh ahh, you gusy aww to dumbs to understand the comsplexitiesities of finasl fantasies r001fles! deal with it1".

But I must say, your defence is brilliant. Whatever the reason, you are always right. Even if you've been proved wrong, you can just say one of your signature comebacks. Then all it does is get the poster who's actually right frustrated. I think this is the purpose of volourn. The epitome of a troll. You must be proud.

Gromnir

Liturgist
"But Leon's point stands: typical publishers' QA resources are totally inadequate for the types of games which Troika has produced, and Troika has been totally inadequate at living within that limitation."

well, no... that ain't what he said. leon were saying that publishers underestimated troika game qa requirements... not say anything 'bout publishers not having the necessary resources... and still, all we have is leon's point of view... no doubt if we heard from publishers they would blame on developer incompetence or developer overconfidence. leon's point stands IF you believe that leon is correct when he identifies the cause of the all too familiar bug complaints surrounding troika games...

Gromnir will leave up to individuals to decide where fault belongs.

HA! Good Fun!

plin

Liturgist
LCJr. said:
And as for this whole publisher/QA what's the problem thing I have say BULLSHIT! Troika made the game and it's there name and reputation that's on the line so they'd damn well better make sure it works before they release it. Do they honestly think they can keep putting the blame on the publisher and people will keep buying their products? Or even find another publisher?

Seriously how many of you think you could get away with that in your job? "Well I'm sorry about the poor product/service Mr. Customer but my job is so complex and Mr. Supervisor/Company Owner didn't allocate enough funds for proper QA." Right...

You don't know what is actually happening (and quite frankly, what do you know, what some kids on an rpg message board tell you?). Unless you are behind the scenes, I suggest you shut it.

With all due respect of cource.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Even if you've been proved wrong,"

Funny that I have yet to read one credible piece of evdience that somehow makes Troika's games so much more 'complex' than various FF games.

Cry, and whine all you want Mr. I don't Know Who You Are; but until someone truly backs up their statements on the 'other side' I have no need to back up mine. And, no, 'multiple solutions to quests' as a retort is NOT a good enough answer for multiple reasons. 1. That means very little in the long term inr egards to complexity except in very few cases and 2. Ff seires does have quests with multiple solutions as well as freedom.

You lose aagin; but hey, keep taking a temper tantrum 'cause you can't handle the truth.

plin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
You lose aagin; but hey, keep taking a temper tantrum 'cause you can't handle the truth.

I'm calm as a hindu cow.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Sure you are. And, I'm the nicest guy in the world.

R00fles!

suibhne

Erudite
Hey Grom, read lately?

I think you missed the part where Leon said:
So, to sum up, publishing games is a business and everything that goes into game development is budgeted. If Troika makes a game that will blow a publisher’s testing budget out of the water, that’s our fault and not our publisher’s.

I guess there could be slightly diverging interpretations of that, but it seems pretty plain to me that, at the least, Leon is saying A) Activision gave us a budget ahead of time for QA, and B) we didn't stick to it, and C) that's our fault.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
The problem is two-fold. The first is that Troika are trying to finish all the features and quests that they want to put in the game so they have a much smaller amount of time to QA their own game, since they don't have an internal QA department. The next problem is the fact that publisher QA departments are overly swamped. They aren't just working on one game at a time. Publishers feel that they can raise their bottom line by cutting certain corners, and since there hasn't been enough public outcry regarding this fact, the practice still holds.

Look at what is happening at EA now with the class action suit. Until there was an outcry EA kept with the practice of being a slave driver for inexperienced employees. It helped their bottom line. These big publishers are out for money and do what they can get away with it. I'm not even going to say it's solely publishers' faults. Ultimately since these publishers are public companies open to investor scrutiny they have concerns of their own as well.

So what it boils down to, is exactly what Leon said. Troika over estimated what to put in the game. It is solely Troika's fault because that is how the business works. Hopefully this time they actually do learn from their mistakes because they said they would after ToEE came out, and they didn't seem to when it came to Bloodlines.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I thought you were a girl."

Perhaps you should stop thinking. You apparantly aren't that good at it, anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom