Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A List of RPGs - A Codex Collaboration

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
#Z

ZanZarah: The Hidden Portal
Released: April 26, 2002
Country of Origin: Germany
Developer: Funatics Software
Publisher: THQ
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Spells, Magic, Companion Management, Single Character, Classless, First Person, Third Person, Fantasy, Fairies, Female Protagonist

Zenfar: The Adventure
Released: October 15, 2001
Country of Origin: USA
Developer: Dynamic Adventures
Publisher: Crystal Interactive Software
Tags: Real-Time, Point & Click, Party-Based, Class-Based, Isometric, Adventure, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Magic
MyAbandonware Download Link
Short Info Video by RedBerylFTW

Zlatogorye 2 (GoldenLand)
Released: September 10, 2003
Country of Origin: Russia
Developer: Burut Creative Team
Publisher: Russobit-M
Tags: Turn-Based, Isometric, Fantasy, Slavic Mythology, Medeival Rus', Classless, Overworld Map, 2D, Day/Night Cycle, Random Encounters, Choices Matter, Sequel, Expansions

Zorbus
Released: September 14, 2022
Country of Origin: Finland
Developer/Publisher: Zorbus (@Joonas)
Tags: Traditional Roguelike, Dungeon Crawler, Turn-based, Pixel Graphics, Random Dungeon Generation, Inspired by 3ed D&D
#9 Codex GOTY 2022

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Games beggining with everything else

7,62 High Calibre
Released: August 24, 2007
Country of Origin: Russia
Developer: Apeiron
Publisher: 1C Company
Tags: RTwP, Isometric, Point & Click, Party-Based, Tactical, 3D, Sequel, Contemporary, Mercenaries, Non-Linear, Multiple Endings
#221 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

99 Spirits (JRPG)
Released: May 31, 2013 (Worldwide)
Country of Origin: Japan
Developer: TORaIKI
Publisher: Fruitbat Factory
Tags: JRPG, Female Protagonist, Fantasy, 2D, Turn-based, Indie, Anime

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
The Arcanum template is not finished. I'm adding tags, and I want to consider how to put in the screenshots, and if I only use official ones. Don't want to get any trouble if picking random screens online isn't an option

Viata

Arcane
First of all, good luck! I'll try to help with this.
Now, some questions:
WRPG, JRPG or every RPG, no matter what region?
PC, console or both?(Going by your Arcanum example, it's already assumed the game is for PC, so I take it it's PC only list??)
There is a limit for how many images you can add to some posts, so for screenshots it would be better to post in another place(like imgur) and just link them here.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
First of all, good luck! I'll try to help with this.
Now, some questions:
CRPG, JRPG or every RPG, no matter what region?
PC, console or both?(Going by your Arcanum example, it's already assumed the game is for PC, so I take it it's PC only list??)
There is a limit for how many images you can add to some posts, so for screenshots it would be better to post in another place(like imgur) and just link them here.
-Thanks!
-I will try to add all types of rpgs, but they need to have a PC release. RPGs that I think are of interesting to RPG Codex will have yellow text. I am considering a color for Asian rpgs, too. That way, you guys can easily see what you want to skip if you hate jrpgs, for example.

When it comes to screenshots, there is a problem. I am thinking that the first link with the name of the game will be a site with screens in it. For example, all games that have GOG and Steam release, will have store pages linked. Older titles, I will see if I an find good sites with screens. The imgur idea isn't bad, either.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cool project, will watch the thread, maybe help. But I really wish you would go with another format than a forum post. Have a feeling it's gonna be messy after a while.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Cool project, will watch the thread, maybe help. But I really wish you would go with another format than a forum post. Have a feeling it's gonna be messy after a while.
I will start this way, and then see where it leads. I agree that a forum post is not the most ideal format.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

S.torch

Arbiter
>Focus on commercial games
>Focus on Western games
>"Shovelware" "probably" won't be added, so focus on mainstream crap

So, your list is for the couple dozens of games already known by everybody around here?

*sql intensifies*

What about this

Game: name of game
Developer:
Country of origin:
Release date (original): mm/dd/yy
Re-release date (for remasters):
Platform:
Main gameplay mechanic: real time, turn based, etc
General gameplay tags: single character, party based, first person, third person, isometric, text based,etc
Trailer (or gameplay video sample, if not available):
Commercial availability: y/n and if so, where (links)
Modding scene active: y/n
Codex review: link

Viata

Arcane
I'm unsure about old computer games. Japanese computers, non-DOS ones, etc. Would they count too? I can play PS3 games and Amiga games on a PC, both using emulators.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I'm unsure about old computer games. Japanese computers, non-DOS ones, etc. Would they count too? I can play PS3 games and Amiga games on a PC, both using emulators.
he said it needs to have a PC release, I can play flight simulator on my computer that doesn't make it a jetfighter

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
You've got Arcanum and Fallout up already, so kudos for that. I'm assuming PS:T is next? It'd better be, or else you're sleepin' with the fishes.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Released: August 21st 2001
Developer: Troika Games
Publisher: Sierra Entertainment, Inc (Current IP holder: Activision)
Tags: Turn-based/Real-time Combat, Party-based, Pacifist Run Possible, Overworld Map
#5 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #4 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game
Released: September 30th 1997
Developer: Dragonplay (Black Isle Studios)
Publisher: Interplay Entertainment (Current IP holder: Bethesda/Microsoft)
#1 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #2 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

This can make the list more Codex-relevant. The links to all the GOTY and other votes are here.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
A valiant effort. I second Cat Headed Eagle's suggestion of a data structure (or template, really, because this is mostly consisting of posts) for each entry and submission.

Pots Talos

Horizon's End
Developer
I agree with Lady Error on the formatting.
Good luck with this.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom