Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware 2000s First-Person FPS Shooter Games

Lemming42

Arcane
When people discuss the FPS genre, the discussion naturally turns to the 90s, for obvious reasons.

There are also, of course, the "boomer shooters" of the late 2010s and early 2020s. Whatever you think of them, they're here, they're a big scene, and there's a lot to discuss.

The 2000s gets written off as a dark age for the FPS (and for plenty of other genres too), with most people's recollection being a bunch of shitty WW2/Iraq military shooters, or endless derivative games about burly space marines fighting generic alien bastards.

Let's compile a list of all the actual good FPS games from the 2000s. I'll start. I'm listing games that I think are worthy of revisiting today only (so no Daikatana, for example, even though I don't think it's quite as bad as people make out):

Soldier of Fortune (2000) - no, the level design isn't the best, but the combat feels quite unlike anything else. Possibly the only FPS game in history where you wince every time you have to shoot someone, and feel less like a hero and more like a bit of a prick. No need to bother with the sequel, it's kind of shit.

No One Lives Forever (2000) - I've always had my criticisms of this one but it's undeniably a creative game with some superb ideas. Cate Archer rocks.

Gunman Chronicles (2000) - wonderfully creative GoldSrc game where you get a copyright-dodging diet-SHODAN as your new best pal. People sometimes write it off as a mere Half-Life mod, but that's not fair - there's a hell of a lot of good ideas here (the weird chemical gun with a trillion settings), and the setting and story are bizarre enough for a great time.

Serious Sam (2001) - I'll be honest, I can't distinguish between the first and second encounter, other than that TFE was desert and TSE was jungle. Still, these games are great when you get into the swing of them - they kind of suck but something about them just works when you're in the right mood. Probably the most exciting set of enemies since Doom.

Red Faction (2001) - Half-Life on Mars! Okay, not every part of the game works well, but few other FPS games of the era have such a thrilling range of ideas that they're willing to try out. From the SHIT disguise segments to the unique (albeit buggy) battle against the "suppression bot" to a tram chase to a trip into a low-gravity space station, Red Faction is just one idea after another. They don't all work, but who cares, we're having fun.

Gaylo (2001) - putting this on the list with a little bit of hesitation, but I do think it's still worth a playthrough these days. As a kid I never liked the spongey enemies and resented the console-first design, but when you get to grips with it there's a pretty sound game here, even if its reputation ended up being blown out of all proportion.

(I'm going to mention RTCW here - I'm not a massive fan of it, honestly, but people will ask "where's RTCW" if it's not mentioned. So here, RTCW.)

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (2002) - do you like military shooters? Nah, me neither. Get past the dull WW2 trappings though and MoHAA is not bad for what it is. True, you're fighting the same enemy over and over and over again, but at least they try to give you a bit of level variety - from the infiltration of the u-boat pens to the sniper-ridden village to the tank segment. I think what helps MoHAA is that it's just a very professional, high-quality product, which makes a change from some other games of the era.

Iron Storm (2002) - might be the first one on this list some people haven't heard of. Hear me out - it's an alternate history where WW1 went on for-fucking-ever. Compared with MoHAA, Iron Storm is shovelware crap that barely functions. It is, however, very rich in ideas, and the devs really tried to make something unique and cool. Check it out.

Rainbow Six 3 (2003) - well, actually... if you want to play Rainbow Six, go download Black Ops, which lets you play R6 and Rogue Spear with all their expansions. Rainbow Six 3 is just not quite as good somehow - shooting doesn't feel as good, team sizes are smaller, maps just aren't as tight. But look, it's still good, alright. It's fine.

Postal 2 (2003) - yeah, it's a load of shit, but there's never really been anything else like it. Do a pacifist run if you want to have a really hilarious time.

Call of Duty (2003) (and United Offensive) - not much to say that I didn't already say for Medal of Honor. Is the WW2 setting deeply boring? Yes. Are you fighting the same guy over and over again? Yes. Does it work anyway just through sheer quality and smoothness? Yeah, I think so.

Far Cry (2004) - I fucking love Far Cry. It's superb. It's genuinely brilliant. No, it's not just an "tech demo", DO NOT CALL IT A TECH DEMO. Weapons all feel great to use, headshots are unbelievably satisfying, vehicle segments are always welcome, and you go through a whole range of locations. Play on highest difficulty if you want a laugh, the jeep section where Val's driving and you're on the gun is almost impossible to beat.

Doom 3 (2004) - yeah yeah, it's Doom 3, yeah yeah, flashlight, yeah yeah, monster closet. I don't care, I think this game's fine. BFG Edition is the one to play, since it fixes the flashlight insanity.

Gaylo 2 (2004) - I enjoyed this more than the first one overall, I think. The FMV cutscenes in the Master Chief Edition are fucking amazing.

Half-Life 2 (2004) - I'm not a big fan of this game, and I know a lot of other people here aren't. Vehicle sections are boring, combat feels utterly weak, enemy AI sucks balls, the story is badly written and highly intrusive, and the gravity gun gets old after about thirty seconds. Mentioning it just because I can't not mention it, and I do think it's worth playing today just to see what you make of it - I'd be interested to hear what someone who's never played it before would think, especially if they haven't been primed with the "oooh you're about to play one of the GREATEST GAMES OF ALL TIME" horseshit.

SWAT 4 (2005) - fucking fantastic, absolute high watermark of tactical shooters. Play on hardest difficulty or you're a pussy. Oh, you're mad because you failed the mission with a score of 94 out of the necessary 95, just because you shot a guy who was screaming "DIE PIG" and firing a bullet into your head? Well maybe you should go back to police academy you fucking rookie. Just because someone has shot one of your eyeballs out doesn't mean it's acceptable to shoot back. Go learn the rules of engagement, and bring the paintball gun next time.

F.E.A.R. (2005) - story's a load of shit but wow, what a fun game. Just radiates coolness. The combat is extraordinary, what else do you need

Mirror's Edge (2008) - okay, go ahead and tell me it's not an FPS. Look, I don't know if you've noticed, but the last entry on this list was 2005. There's fucking nothing in the late 2000s, it's a wasteland. Just let me have Mirror's Edge. I love this game.

As you can see, 2000 - 2005 is not a bad stretch of games. 2005 - 2009 is nothingness.

Go ahead, name some more.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Man did I read the title wrong. Its a fine list you have going. I would be remiss if I didn't mention Clive Barker's Undying. It doesn't deserve to be at the top of any list, but if you played it at the time, it sure deserves a spot. It's on GoG for like 5 bucks.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I.G.I-2: Covert Strike (2003).
Badassest sniper rifle in any game I've played (thermo sights and punches through walls), big levels (including the Z axis), many of them quite unlinear.
Bad sound (I hate the voice acting of the enemy soldiers). Also enemies will go berserk if they hear a blade of grass bend outside their barracks, but are oblivious to you if you stand still in the shadows one yard in front of them (hopefully this was eventually patched or modded for better balance).
Kind of a poor man's Deus Ex, but I recall liking it very much overall.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Aside from what others have already suggested.
Unreal Tournament 2004 - List would be incomplete without this, imo.
Delta Force: Black Hawk Down (2003) - The guns feel jank but the environments are good and open.
Portal (2008)
Left 4 Dead (2008)
Ghost Recon (2001)
Painkiller (2004)
Star Wars Republic Commando (2005)
Battlefield 1942 (2002)

Modron

Arcane
I don't know what you are smoking the '00s were the golden age of the FPS and more specifically FPS mods. The 10s and 20s was the dark ages of formulaic sequels with only the recent years being somewhat different as every Tom, Dick, and Harry is making their own boomer shooters.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Flashlight doesn't need fixing. The game is a cakewalk you should play it as originally intended. BFG has a number of other differences besides the flashlight shit. It makes the levels brighter, which ruins the atmosphere (which is about the only thing Doom 3 did right). It also puts ammo and health everywhere making the difficulty even more of a joke than it was already.

The biggest problem of Doom 3, the tiny, cramped levels where you have no room to gun and run even if you mod the game to increase the pitiful running speed, cannot be fixed. Since it is impossible to make the game play lile original Doom, you might as well accept it as the horror/survival game they were trying to go for originally.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Will Rock (2003)
Not as good as SS, tho the setting has a charm.

Kiss: Psycho Circus - The Nightmare Child (2000)
Nice theme, but I don't recall much about it other than butchering enemies with the cleaver or flogging them with a whip.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What was that shooter where you played a guy who went into hell or something that comes back. Final boss is a demoness.

I remember it being fairly entertaining despite being second rate ghetto shit.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein for Nazi ladies in tight clothing.
Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, kinda steps into TPS though.
Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. It is sad that nobody able to get FPS melee combat even after that.
Condemned: Criminal Origins. Hell of a game.
Tribes 2. Still my favorite multi shooter.
Clive Barker's Jericho.

Edit: Also Darkness, it had nice little gimmick and fun shooting.

Last edited:

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'll stop spamming, I promise: BioShock (2007) or, the best* FPS ever!

*According to IGN, Gamespot and such.
bioshock isnt a good game if you compare it to system shock
It's good for what it is, and considering the limitations imposed by consolites and the publisher.

BioShock does quite a few things right:

- Its atmosphere and lighting
- An original (even if somewhat stupid) setting
- Pretty nice water shaders
- Cool enemy dynamics and behaviours
- Fun gimmicky elemental powers
- "Muchas gracias, señor"

And if anything, its success arguably opened the door for the Arkanaissance (BioShock 2, Dishonored, The Knife of Dunwall, The Brigmore Witches, Dishonored 2, Prey 2017, and Mooncrash). Fun trivia: Arkane co-founder Raphäel Colantonio is a friend of Ken Levine, and provided consulting to Levine's upcoming Judas.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Two more of my favorites: Far Cry 2 (2008), the PC version of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (2007)

Does Hitman: Blood Money (2006) counts? I play it mostly in the first-person perspective. It can be the best mass shooting simulator at times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom