Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

⊃∪∩⊂ Awakening - Funcom's survival MMO

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
[ ] Sandtrout Corpses collected 3/10
[ ] Return to Alia of the Knife

xWeedGoku420x: Sard DPS lfg Harkonnen Palace
Emper0rP4ul: Guys wer is stilgars wife???

funny but probably not tho. Looks more in the style of conan and similar survival games
Build Axolotl Tank
34/500 Scrap Metal
2/300 Electronics
4/50 Flasks of Spice

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
[ ] Sandtrout Corpses collected 3/10
[ ] Return to Alia of the Knife

xWeedGoku420x: Sard DPS lfg Harkonnen Palace
Emper0rP4ul: Guys wer is stilgars wife???

funny but probably not tho. Looks more in the style of conan and similar survival games
Build Axolotl Tank
34/500 Scrap Metal
2/300 Electronics
4/50 Flasks of Spice

I'll allow it if there's a "Piss to Water" stamina regain ability

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Just letting you know, that logo will never not look like Dunc.
It is literally DUNC
Which is funny because DUNCE means a slow witted stupid person. -Definition: A company that keeps releasing jank MMOs that flop, "Wow they must be managed by a complete dunce."

Turn_BASED

Educated

It is literally DUNC
Which is funny because DUNCE means a slow witted stupid person. -Definition: A company that keeps releasing jank MMOs that flop, "Wow they must be managed by a complete dunce."
Woah woah woah wait a minute. Bros… are Funcom’s MMOs not good? This is the first time I’ve heard this. Thank you so much for enlightening the gaming community, kind stranger!!

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

It is literally DUNC
I prefer to hope it will slam dunc, if you catch my drift.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I think gurugeorge summed it up. We *try* shit. Like I have been on this forum since 2006 and watched the steady conversations about decline and hell, I've seen it as well. Big games have moved away from risk taking. But Funcom games always try new stuff. Anarchy Online *invented* the concept of instancing (whether you think that is good or bad :D). Age of Conan tried to do "realtime" combat and a bunch of other things that were ahead of its time (and probably our capacity as a company). The Secret World - we tried to bring ARGS into the game and intertwine the real world and the game world in new ways. Even Conan Exiles, we put in the dong slider etc.

Big companies don't do that stuff. They won't take the risks.

Dune: Awakening still has that ethos - we're trying a few things in the game that (if we pull them off) companies are going to emulate for years to come.
Getting my two cents on this. Funcom do make flawed games however they support them for years. How it was Conan Exiles in EA and how is it now is the testament of this. It took years but with Conan Exiles they delivered almost all they promised on EA. I am Curious to see how this title will be but i hope will be more Conan Exiles like. And less a fully fledged Mmo.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dopamine Cleric

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Dune 2000 was great

That's about it. People are interested in Dune because it is obscure and weird, then it unravels as something familiar and profound. The gravitas is lost when you can buy toys of it at McDonalds. "yuh sun, you can be a hardy hard man and strong a big king, you be a big king down there nightshift manager at Kmart. You da king.

MMmm hmmm

ADL

Prophet

Survival MMO Dune: Awakening takes place in an 'alternate' timeline​

Dune: Awakening is set in the year 10199 AG, Bylos said, which is about eight years after the events of 2021’s Dune film. But in the MMO, those events won’t play out quite the same way people familiar with the books or films will remember them.

“It’s similar to the books, but we’ve gone with an alternate history, like a ‘what-if’, if you want,” Bylos said. “We worked closely with the Herbert [family] and Legendary [Pictures], and we found a point, a single point, the single pebble that starts a landslide.”

This point, said Bylos, represents “where if just this one thing was different in the universe then it would change a lot of what comes after, and change it in a way that makes for more of a virtual world kind of experience, where players can see all the familiar things that they’d expect to see.”

Bylos unfortunately wouldn’t tell me specifically what that ‘pebble’ of story was (“I’m not allowed to talk about that yet,” he said) or how changing it would result in an alternative timeline. But this change is meant to allow players in Dune: Awakening to interact with characters from the books they otherwise wouldn’t be able to because “a lot of major characters die” early on in the story.

“If you’ve seen the first movie, you can expect many of those characters to exist in the story of the game,” Bylos said. “I could give an example that’s very clear: Duke Leto is still alive. You can meet Duke Leto.”

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Dune: Awakening is set in the year 10199 AG, Bylos said, which is about eight years after the events of 2021’s Dune film. But in the MMO, those events won’t play out quite the same way people familiar with the books or films will remember them.

“It’s similar to the books, but we’ve gone with an alternate history, like a ‘what-if’, if you want,” Bylos said. “We worked closely with the Herbert [family] and Legendary [Pictures], and we found a point, a single point, the single pebble that starts a landslide.”

This point, said Bylos, represents “where if just this one thing was different in the universe then it would change a lot of what comes after, and change it in a way that makes for more of a virtual world kind of experience, where players can see all the familiar things that they’d expect to see.”

Bylos unfortunately wouldn’t tell me specifically what that ‘pebble’ of story was (“I’m not allowed to talk about that yet,” he said) or how changing it would result in an alternative timeline. But this change is meant to allow players in Dune: Awakening to interact with characters from the books they otherwise wouldn’t be able to because “a lot of major characters die” early on in the story.

“If you’ve seen the first movie, you can expect many of those characters to exist in the story of the game,” Bylos said. “I could give an example that’s very clear: Duke Leto is still alive. You can meet Duke Leto.”
Interesting choice. Not sure how it play out tho i am skeptical. I dont think this was a good idea at all.

v1c70r14

Educated
Has Funcom made anything good since they discovered they could just turn Conan into Minecraft with Ubisoft tier monetization and were bought up by the Chinese communist party? Any reason to look forward to this? It's shitty how they turned Dune into another soulless media franchise but Arrakis makes sense for a survival game, just not that you'd be meeting important characters of the setting if you were collecting kangaroo mouse tails to turn into a suncap and survive on your own recycled piss and sweat along with the bodily fluids of another player you drained to get by. If you're going the full Bear Grylls mile you shouldn't be getting quests from Leto.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They have never made anything good. And they never will because they are retarded. They had 30 years to just copy what others have done and redo it in a new and fun way. But every time they try they do a shitty half baked job of it. They either launder money or are retarded.

Last edited:

v1c70r14

Educated
They have never made anything good.
Some of their MMOs were decent enough, I had fun with Age of Conan even if the quality dropped through the floor after Tortage and the game was very obviously left unfinished. I also heard that Secret World was an alright game before they messed it up.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I played both at release. Both were super hyped and both were shit compared to games from a decade earlier made by smaller teams with smaller budgets.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
They have never made anything good.
Some of their MMOs were decent enough, I had fun with Age of Conan even if the quality dropped through the floor after Tortage and the game was very obviously left unfinished. I also heard that Secret World was an alright game before they messed it up.
They have cool ideas but shit execution. Also, both AoC and SW would have been stellar single player games, but for slme reason they keep turning everying into MMOs and fuck it up badly. Aoc Tortage and part of SW were top notch.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Back then people thought an unfinished game was something mostly great but with a few missing quests or something. But Age of Conan was like 10 levels of game and then 40 empty levels. There are MMOs made by 1 person I would rather play than those 40 empty levels.

The Secret World was slightly better but mostly the same. It bothers me how easily people were conned by that game. It has a skill tree as a wheel split into 3 sections, melee, ranged, magic. As you level up you choose parts of that skill tree. People were impressed because you can unlock a bunch of things in each section if you focus on it. So you can become a pretty developed melee, or a ranged, or magic character. But there were no classes in the game... So every single person had the exact same skill tree with the exact same things on it. In reality it's just a game with 3 ok classes. Compared to EQ from about a decade earlier that had 14 classes and multiple races too and each started in different unique parts of the world. It's pretty ridiculous. The entire game only had 7 dungeons that people just repeated over and over. Each time was identical. No random things in them at all. And they put a limit so you could only do each dungeon once every 24 hours or something. Terrible compared to other games.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
Back then people thought an unfinished game was something mostly great but with a few missing quests or something. But Age of Conan was like 10 levels of game and then 40 empty levels.
Yeah and I annoyed one of the leads on the game (which I didn't know at the time) by criticising how dull the questing was in AoC especially the new player experience.
I felt the combat system was interesting but it was let down by the fact that the game is so padded to the point where its uninteresting.

People were impressed because you can unlock a bunch of things in each section if you focus on it. So you can become a pretty developed melee, or a ranged, or magic character. But there were no classes in the game... So every single person had the exact same skill tree with the exact same things on it. In reality it's just a game with 3 ok classes.
this is probably a response to the fact that Anarchy Online was the opposite of this. It had so many unique classes that it was overwhelming just how many options you had that were all locked to each class.
This is also why I like Anarchy Online more because its pretty awesome seeing just how different every player plays it whereas Age of Conan everyone just plays it the same way.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They could probably do well in the indie world of gaming. There are so many survival/crafting/building games today with not much content but still manage to make insane profits. Funcom could probably be over achievers in that world

Delterius

Arcane
they found a pebble that starts a landslide and created an alt history by working closely to the 'frank family'.

its just a coincidence that popular characters who died are still alive to be quest givers ok

:hahyou:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Back then people thought an unfinished game was something mostly great but with a few missing quests or something. But Age of Conan was like 10 levels of game and then 40 empty levels. There are MMOs made by 1 person I would rather play than those 40 empty levels.

The Secret World was slightly better but mostly the same. It bothers me how easily people were conned by that game. It has a skill tree as a wheel split into 3 sections, melee, ranged, magic. As you level up you choose parts of that skill tree. People were impressed because you can unlock a bunch of things in each section if you focus on it. So you can become a pretty developed melee, or a ranged, or magic character. But there were no classes in the game... So every single person had the exact same skill tree with the exact same things on it. In reality it's just a game with 3 ok classes. Compared to EQ from about a decade earlier that had 14 classes and multiple races too and each started in different unique parts of the world. It's pretty ridiculous. The entire game only had 7 dungeons that people just repeated over and over. Each time was identical. No random things in them at all. And they put a limit so you could only do each dungeon once every 24 hours or something. Terrible compared to other games.
SW was a great storyfag game and thats it pretty much

Angthoron

Arcane
they found a pebble that starts a landslide and created an alt history by working closely to the 'frank family'.

its just a coincidence that popular characters who died are still alive to be quest givers ok

:hahyou:
Oh yeah, a lot of characters including Duke Leto aren't dead, I really wonder what pivotal event didn't happen in this timeline, such a mystery.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

Interesting choice.
Jessica doesn't give birth to Paul? Rabban crushes the Fremen? Paul fails the Gom Jabbar? Paul is killed by the Hunter-Seeker? Duke Leto escapes Baron Harkonnen? Emperor Corrino is usurped by Baron Harkonnen and the landsraad?

I enjoyed Conan Exiles way more than I expected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom