Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zelda: Leaks of the kingdom thread

Elthosian

Arcane
In real life harvesting got late due to rain
but in vidyagaemz world it's already harvesting season for Nintendo

Nintendo registers numerous new patents from Tears of the Kingdom, even for loading screens​

Within Japan’s game and entertainment industry, Nintendo stands out for the volume and competitiveness of their patents. In a study by Patent Result, it was found that Nintendo’s patents had been cited as ground for rejection of other companies’ patents in 180 cases during the year 2022. A large portion of Nintendo’s patents are unsurprisingly related to technology used in the latest entry to the Zelda series, Tears of the Kingdom.

One patent (as spotted by naoya2k) that appears to be “obvious” as a functionality at first glance is related to the calculations performed while Link rides on top of objects. The solution is described as follows: “the movement of movable dynamic objects placed in the virtual space is controlled by physics calculations, and the movement of the player’s character is controlled by user input. When the player’s character and a dynamic object come in contact in the downward direction relative to the character (in other words, when the character is on top of an object), the movement of the dynamic object is added to the movement of the player’s character.”Put simply, the game judges when Link is making contact with a movable object underneath him, and if the object moves, Link will automatically move in the same way and speed as the object does, without any input being made.

A rather unexpected mechanic of Tears of the Kingdom that has been patented by Nintendo is the very brief loading sequence that commences when using fast travel to instantly relocate to another place in the vast world. The patent is a solution to providing “a game processing method capable of enriching game presentation during a waiting period in which at least part of the game processing is interrupted” and consists of filling up the loading period that ensues after the user inputs their fast travel destination with a sequence in which an image of the starting point’s map transitions into a map of the destination.
http://web.archive.org/web/20230809140422/https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20230808-20590/
motherfuckers trying to patent physics, I’ve seen it all.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I have no idea how these work.

consists of filling up the loading period that ensues after the user inputs their fast travel destination with a sequence in which an image of the starting point’s map transitions into a map of the destination.
How the hell do you patent something like this lol.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I have no idea how these work.

consists of filling up the loading period that ensues after the user inputs their fast travel destination with a sequence in which an image of the starting point’s map transitions into a map of the destination.
How the hell do you patent something like this lol.
with money and power of lobby?

Ezekiel

Arcane
light.jpg

The last light root. The teeny hole above the arrow. I don't get it. The whole crescent-shaped area is surrounded by walls. The overworld map shows no chasms from which to drop in from. I looked up what the reward is, because I thought I lit up all the roots (before looking closer again) and did not receive anything, and...

Unless I access it from deeper down in the Hyrule Castle depths, which I have barely explored.

Last edited:

beardalaxy

Novice
light.jpg

The last light root. The teeny hole above the arrow. I don't get it. The whole crescent-shaped area is surrounded by walls. The overworld map shows no chasms from which to drop in from. I looked up what the reward is, because I thought I lit up all the roots (before looking closer again) and did not receive anything, and...

Unless I access it from deeper down in the Hyrule Castle depths, which I have barely explored.

I don't believe Tears of the Kingdom, and to a lesser extent Breath of the Wild, is a game that is actually meant to be 100% completed, but they still had to give some reward to people who did in all the various aspects. To be honest, for me, no reward is worth 100% completing either game. There is just way too much stuff in the game and the idea is that you're supposed to enjoy your journey. If you stop enjoying the journey in the pursuit of getting a full completion, then it's time to wrap things up. That's exactly what I did. I finished at about 2/3 completion because I was actively trying to find ways to avoid playing the game, feeling like I HAD to keep going for 100%. I wasn't enjoying it anymore because of that.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
light.jpg

That one took a while to find, but the entrance is on land somewhere in the island. Finding it is a challenge on itself. Keep on looking or maybe change your point of view :M

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I don't believe Tears of the Kingdom, and to a lesser extent Breath of the Wild, is a game that is actually meant to be 100% completed
I believe the "problem" here is that it was made partly with people who don't like to explore in mind, and to ensure that these people will pretty much have the same experience as people that do like to explore. There is definite friction there methinks.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't believe Tears of the Kingdom, and to a lesser extent Breath of the Wild, is a game that is actually meant to be 100% completed
I believe the "problem" here is that it was made partly with people who don't like to explore in mind, and to ensure that these people will pretty much have the same experience as people that do like to explore. There is definite friction there methinks.
As someone who loves exploring in games... this tracks. It's got cool stuff to find, but none of it is important. So it feels more like a theme park than an adventure. "Oh look at this cool puzzle, and there's a neat set of ruins over here, and I found the lord of the forest and managed to ride him around for a night, it was really cool!" But it doesn't scratch the itch that the old SNES game did, when you found the zora flippers after randomly wandering around and realized you could suddenly go to so many more places you couldn't reach before, or even getting optional things like the 3rd and 4th swords or the cape of invis, or even just a god damned bottle.

It's like the difference between "We put this treasure here for you to find" and "How did he find my secret treasure?!" Nothing I did in Breath of the Wild felt like I was taking something the world was trying to keep from me, it never felt like I was winning a contest by exploring.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I remember going through the depths methodically to find the armor pieces because they're all in pre-set places. So it was a case of opening the map and finding them. The only real question is which armor piece was where. Same applied to a handful of other collectables.

I believe the only truly hidden collectables are in overworld caves...but only in some. The best you could do is set the Sensor for chests and hope it wasn't tracking one outside of the cave.

Caves are the best part of this game.

I love the caves so much, and I wish there were hundreds more of them, and they were generally longer.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I love the caves so much, and I wish there were hundreds more of them, and they were generally longer.
Lucky for you the Depths are a series of truly massive caves.
No, it's not. It's fun, but there's no verticality or a monster hidden around the corner. It's all very open space. There are no secrets hiding behind a rock you have to spot in the ceiling. There are no holes in the floor to fall through into traps or treasure. No cave rivers and ponds. No chests accessible only by guessing where to Ascend. There are no nest of cave monkeys, or other ceiling monsters ready to drop on you. The cave behind the starting camp is no Ash Lake descent, but it was a lot of fun as a gauntlet.

Caves are the best part of this game.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Ran into a real cool detail:
if one of the traveling musician's troupe gets interupted by you while playing, that instrument cuts out of the ensemble while the song continues, very nice :obviously:

Ezekiel

Arcane
After four months of playing, I finally spoke with the Great Fairies and am surprised by how little damage I now receive after upgrading my clothes. With 33/40 hearts, it's gonna make the rest of the game super easy. Looking for the fifth sage.

ryujinx-capture-2023-09-18-10-30-31.png

You couldn't give the black fairy black geometry?

beardalaxy

Novice
why would you either agree or disagree
do you watch reviews of games you've already played
I do like to watch reviews for games after I play them sometimes, especially if my thoughts on them are pretty conflicting. It's interesting to hear what other people have to say about games. They might bring up something I didn't think about that changes my perspective on things a little bit. I also like watching those 4 hour long retrospectives and critiques because, as a game designer, they help me understand the real nitty gritty of things. This kind of stuff is useful as a player too, going forward with new games, because the knowledge helps me hone in on stuff I know that I will like and trim away what I won't. You can get that with just playing the game, but you start to really understand WHY it is you don't like it when you look at what other people have to say, rather than just knowing you don't like it, and it helps you identify the same things you know you won't like in the future.

As for Nerrel himself, his style of review is pretty unique and I enjoy watching how he approaches them. Though, I don't watch his game reviews as much as his other content, like modding.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Started in the middle of May. Just finished, with the highest heart piece percentage of any first playthrough in a Zelda game (35/40), largely because the main quest was that weak. The worst ever. Exploration was good, though. Way better than competitors. Meanwhile, Red Dead 2 still sits at chapter 2 after nine months. Modern western games are mostly so fucking dull.

You can't write "The End" and then follow that with ten more minutes of talking. Do the credits, do the epilogue and then write "The End."

The Zelda theme music doesn't really have a place anymore. It's weird to hear only segments of it inserted between Chinese violins, like when you are victorious or perform a feat of heroism in the end.

I'm sick of these characters. All three of them. They should change them if they are going to keep bringing them back. The designs have been so different over the years that I don't think it would be as offensive as changing Mario.

Was it worse than Breath of the Wild's main story? I don't know. I don't remember. But it feels worse by virtue of being more of the same that I already had a problem with back then. Yet I found that game pretty good too.

Ezekiel

Arcane
TLo-Z-Zelda-Holding-onto-Link-Newtype-Artwork.png

Classic anime designs like this I'd be cool with. I'm just sick of the long-haired, earring-wearing manlet.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
TLo-Z-Zelda-Holding-onto-Link-Newtype-Artwork.png

Classic anime designs like this I'd be cool with. I'm just sick of the long-haired, earring-wearing manlet.
Whoa, is that nigh 70s to very early 80s animesque? The princess looks very familiar to a show I vaguely recall.

Ezekiel

Arcane
:cry:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/zelda-producer-calls-more-linear-entries-games-of-the-past/

Legend of Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma has said he believes that traditional linear series entries are “games of the past” and called requests from some fans to return to the style “nostalgia”.

Switch Zelda entries Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom revolutionised the series’ long-standing formula, with a shift to open-world gameplay and systems which empower players to tackle the game in a huge number of ways.

The entries have proved incredibly successful, selling a combined 50m units. Previously, the best-selling Zelda game was Wii’s Twilight Princess at around 9 million sales.

Speaking to IGN, Aonuma said he believed games “where you need to follow a specific set of steps or complete tasks in a very set order” were “kind of the games of the past”.

“Whereas currently the games of today are ones in which that can accept a player’s own decisions and give them the freedom to flexibly proceed through the game, and the game will allow for that,” he said.

“So I’m in complete agreement with that as our design philosophy, but as the producer, I do have to admit making games that way always carries with it additional development costs. And that is something I have to think about.”

Zelda producer calls more linear entries ‘games of the past’
The producer was then asked about those fans who enjoyed classic-style 3D Zelda games such as Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time and who would like to see a return to more linear gameplay.

“Well, I do think we as people have a tendency to want the thing that we don’t currently have, and there’s a bit of a grass is greener mentality,” he replied.

“But I also think that with the freedom players have in the more recent games in the series… there still is a set path, it just happens to be the path that they chose. So I think that that is one thing I kind of like to remind myself about the current games that we’re making.

“But also, it’s interesting when I hear people say those things because I am wondering, ‘Why do you want to go back to a type of game where you’re more limited or more restricted in the types of things or ways you can play?’ But I do understand that desire that we have for nostalgia, and so I can also understand it from that aspect.”

Nintendo Switch sequel The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has been one of this year’s biggest blockbuster games.

It was released in May and sold 10 million copies worldwide in its first three days, according to Nintendo, making it the fastest-selling game in the history of the series and the fastest-selling Nintendo game for any system in Europe and the Americas. As of September, it’s sold 19.5 million copies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom