Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zelda: Leaks of the kingdom thread

If you have a jailbroken Switch, overclocking the RAM really helps performance in this game. At about 1862mhz it runs at pretty much a constant 30fps. At default clocks (1600mhz), there are frequent dips into 20, especially when using Ultrahand. It's a memory bandwidth issue, CPU/GPU clocks make very little difference.

It might seem minor but it's really quite a stark contrast. Nintendo should force the game to run at higher clocks through in an official patch.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

This is actually a good method of farming Keese parts. Funnily enough, they nerfed the value of the bat's eyes in Tears of the kingdom. In Breath of the wild they were more valuable, you could make a decent amount of rupees just by selling them.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The sage powers are really annoying me:
Flying one is really good for extra distance. Lightning one would be super useful, except getting the contextual prompt to trigger it during combat is a major struggle. The defensive effect of water would be amazing, except it gets turned into a shitty ranged attack as soon as you attack. Plus it's hard to get to in combat, so you can't use it as an emergency iddq either.

Haven't gotten the goron one yet, but I doubt it will be much better.
Feels like it could have been a great mechanic if not for the stupid contextual keybinds.

JDR13

Arcane
If you have a jailbroken Switch, overclocking the RAM really helps performance in this game. At about 1862mhz it runs at pretty much a constant 30fps. At default clocks (1600mhz), there are frequent dips into 20, especially when using Ultrahand. It's a memory bandwidth issue, CPU/GPU clocks make very little difference.

It might seem minor but it's really quite a stark contrast. Nintendo should force the game to run at higher clocks through in an official patch.
If you're worried about FPS, why play it on the Switch at all?

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I will say that if you're playing on a switch resolution really fucks you in the ass. If you're sailing high in the sky and trying to spot shrines you best squint hard. The image is so fuzzy that it blends the green glow of shrines in with the landscape. Pretty frustrating. I don't imagine this is a issue if you're playing on PC.

If you're worried about FPS, why play it on the Switch at all?
I'm not "worried". I play on the Switch because I like the portable aspect and playing on the crapper.

Plus, the overclocking solution is simple enough and has significant impacts.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Does this game have an Elden Ring thing goin on where bosses will chew up your health bar and shit it out regardless of how much health/armor you have? It's kinda seeming that way, or I'm simply venturing into places I have no business venturing in yet. I'm confident it's the latter. If there was one thing that annoyed me about Elden Ring it was that you could have 50+ vit and a mountain of armor and bosses would still melt your ass in a split second.

somerandomdude

Learned
Does this game have an Elden Ring thing goin on where bosses will chew up your health bar and shit it out regardless of how much health/armor you have? It's kinda seeming that way, or I'm simply venturing into places I have no business venturing in yet. I'm confident it's the latter. If there was one thing that annoyed me about Elden Ring it was that you could have 50+ vit and a mountain of armor and bosses would still melt your ass in a split second.
Stuff that hits you for 8-10 hearts will hit you for 1/2 a heart after you fully upgrade a set of armor. It's not a challenging game, they give you all sorts of ways to cheese mobs in this, you can bully them with devices, and ultra hand/auto build stuff. People have already memed the game by figuring out creative ways to bully mobs with devices. I beat that thunder gleeok in the arena with like 6 hearts, and no armor upgrades. Those probably still oneshot 15 hearts with base armor defenses, but you can cheese them.

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Armour is a flat modifier to incoming damage so if you're ahead of the curve you'll take half a heart of damage and if you're behind the curve you'll take a ton of damage. Usually the level scaled enemies keep up well but bosses will either be too hard or too easy, from my experience with the scaling.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Usually the level scaled enemies keep up well but bosses will either be too hard or too easy, from my experience with the scaling.
How do the enemies even scale? Is it related to time, or main quest progress or what? It feels like the bosses are getting their hp scaled as well, but I might be wrong about that.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Usually the level scaled enemies keep up well but bosses will either be too hard or too easy, from my experience with the scaling.
How do the enemies even scale? Is it related to time, or main quest progress or what? It feels like the bosses are getting their hp scaled as well, but I might be wrong about that.
TOTK is new so we don't know how it works exactly but in BOTW it was based on enemies killed.

Every enemy that dies (You don't have to be the one to kill them), gives you a set amount of hidden experience. The more experience you have, the higher tiers of enemies and gear spawns. Enemies go normal > blue > black > silver > golden (master mode only). Lynels have a few extra tiers of upgrades though, probably since they were the real lategame challenge in BOTW. Higher tiers of enemies have a flat hp bonus, a flat damage modifier on each attack, and drop higher level monster parts and weapons. This ensures you can never get "stuck," like you can in Oblivion, since your damage is almost entirely gear based and enemies drop gear that can easily defeat more enemies of their level.

In BOTW each Blight Ganon gained 400 hp for each previous boss you defeated, and was not tied to the experience system. The final boss did not scale at all.

Anecdotally in TOTK I just fought a mid/late main story boss and it was dealing 1/2 a heart of damage, while the Bokoblins I fought before the boss fight were dealing 5 hearts of damage, so I doubt that boss had any scaling. I have beat four temples though and I believe there is scaling for the temple bosses. There's a specific intended order for the temples in this game and each temple boss is much harder than the last, but you can go to later temples first and still beat the bosses there which wouldn't be possible without scaling. Presumably it works similar to Blight Ganons in BOTW.

Some overworld bosses in BOTW scaled and some didn't. Hinox and Lynel followed the normal version to silver version tiers, Talus scaled but didn't follow the normal to silver tier scaling. Molduga and Stalnox were always the same. Overworld bosses in TOTK seem similar, Gleeoks are lategame enemies that have elemental types based on location. Whereas Flux Constructs go from level I to level III but I'm not sure if it's based on location or experience.

mushroomrain

Novice
Liking this game more than BotW. Most likely I just find the tools here more fun to use, which is weird because normally I'm not that into building stuff. The world also feels more lively.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Gleeoks are lategame enemies that have elemental types based on location.
I just got told go kill ganon in the main quest, but I also don't even think I'm close to being able to kill one of these. Every time I tried, their lasers basically instakilled me. I'm thinking if using the 3x lynel bow with with keese eyes will let me easilly take one out, but I haven't tried it yet.

Also these gloom weapons are so good. 50 base damage 2hand club is insane.

I've been playing very sporadically and just now cleared the first big "dungeon". It was satisfying with a proper boss at the end, and I thought it was way better than the Divine Beasts of the previous game.

It's really an amazing accomplishment, especially considering that it's running on a 8-year old chingchong tablet. Puts all other "AAA" games running on machines 30x more powerful to damn shame.

I can't play for long stretches, though. The inventory wrangling kills a lot of the joy for me. But I'm sure that's just because I'm old.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have yet to see a single temple, or if I did I didn't know it. Do you have to keep following the main quest for them to appear? I stopped following it after I got the paraglider and have basically spent a few dozen hours doing shrines and random shit.

I have yet to see a single temple, or if I did I didn't know it. Do you have to keep following the main quest for them to appear? I stopped following it after I got the paraglider and have basically spent a few dozen hours doing shrines and random shit.
not necessarily, you'll bump into them eventually. but at least the one I did depends on a scripted element so you have to at least pick up the quest in the appropriate area. I'd assume they all depend on a scripted element

companions with abilities like the ones you got from killing the divine beasts in botw. to get to the wind temple you need the gust ability from the eagle kid

Ezekiel

Arcane
I think that if you are going to put crouch in your action game and assign it to L3 then you absolutely must make that crouch very functional in combat, because it's much too easy to click the stick down by accident when you are fighting or trying to escape. Didn't used to have this problem as much. Maybe it's my age. Still...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom