Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Warhammer 40,000 Lore Thread

Caim

Arcane
What are Primaris Marines? New miniatures with the rumor that all the Marines will go through the Rubricon and thus all you Firstborn need to be replaced by New miniatures.

LMAO nigga, just play Horus Heresy instead.
The point is that you have to pay $$ and more $$.

So why should I play Horus Heresy instead? Sounds like more $$$.
Horus Heresy can get even more expensive than base 40k because of the ludicrously expensive Forge World models. And you don't even need to buy the extremely expensive stuff like those fliers or the Murder School Bus.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
What are Primaris Marines? New miniatures with the rumor that all the Marines will go through the Rubricon and thus all you Firstborn need to be replaced by New miniatures.

Horus Heresy can get even more expensive than base 40k because of the ludicrously expensive Forge World models. And you don't even need to buy the extremely expensive stuff like those fliers or the Murder School Bus.
Eh doesn't matter for me tbh. I play Infinity and a bit of Kill Team. And if I have to I buy used :p

Caim

Arcane

Eh doesn't matter for me tbh. I play Infinity and a bit of Kill Team. And if I have to I buy used :p
For context, about 55 euros can either get me a box containing enough models for an entire kill team... or I get this artillery piece:

99590101306_LegionRapierGravitonCannon01.jpg

And the real kicker? That is 60 points. Horus Heresy games tend to be larger than 40k games, with 3k being fairly common.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The thing is that Horus Heresy is the way not to have to deal with Primaris Muhreens and all this new stuff.

Anyway, I certainly do agree that Kill team is the way to go if you want to do 40K stuff in affordable way, most of the teams are competitive with just single box. Adeptus Titanicus is somewhat similar to that, though it is nowhere near as popular as the Kill Team is.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
OH btw when I say "Your Dudes" I am speaking from 40k Tabletop.

40k Tabletop has always been about creating an army of "your dudes", with whatever characters, chapters, etc.

That makes playing 40k games fun (or at least that's their belief).

And note how GW makes money. New miniatures.
What are female Custodians? New miniatures.
Why Tomb Kings with personality? So that you have to buy each and every single one of them because they are molded different. If you want to play them, that is.

But still better than Matt Ward's retarded idea that Mary-Suism is an attractor.
I absolute hate the Your Dudes fixation. I think that's a terrible thing to be obsessed with in a wargame.
It's not a RPG where you're controlling a band of mercs with actual personalities and skill sets that are somewhat relevant in how the game actually plays, you're playing babby kriegspiel with dice and overpriced plastic models.
Like, you don't name every pawn you have, do you?
I get coming up with an army wide identity, but some players go further than that and start wanting personalized miniatures, and that's just silly to me.

It's shit like that that ruined Necrons, because some players wanted them to have "personality", as if such a concept matters in a game where there could be a hundred models on the table.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
OH btw when I say "Your Dudes" I am speaking from 40k Tabletop.

40k Tabletop has always been about creating an army of "your dudes", with whatever characters, chapters, etc.

That makes playing 40k games fun (or at least that's their belief).

And note how GW makes money. New miniatures.
What are female Custodians? New miniatures.
Why Tomb Kings with personality? So that you have to buy each and every single one of them because they are molded different. If you want to play them, that is.

But still better than Matt Ward's retarded idea that Mary-Suism is an attractor.
Like, you don't name every pawn you have, do you?
I get coming up with an army wide identity, but some players go further than that and start wanting personalized miniatures, and that's just silly to me.
Games Workshop literally says to that is the goal. Your own glorious army of moral and personal values. "Your dudes" means that 40k is like creating your own story.

Edit: Players enjoy both winning and losing because that battle counts as an interesting part of their army fluff. Not the quality of your army. The personality.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Then I guess I just don't understand that, because I don't write up a fancy story whenever my army fights a battle, no more than I write a story about chess.
Perhaps it's because I see an inherent difference between RPGs, warband level games and wargames, a distinction that GW doesn't seem to get and insists on having their games be all three, which just ends up as a confused mess of a game and scale.
Would explain their absurd pricing scheme; they price their models as if you don't need that many of them and each are incredibly detailed, unique individuals, when really you need a whole bunch of the buggers and they all tend to look the same in an army, no matter how "expressive" they make them.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
There is a lot to be said for 20 monopose figures, rather than the hyper-detailed posable stuff.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
omfg this company

warhammer-40k-stonks-550x309.jpg

GW hikes Warhammer prices despite growing profit margins

GW has announced a price hike of 3-5%, despite its most recent financial report showing a healthy profit margin for the manufacturer.

Warhammer prices are going to rise in the region of 3-5% on June 10, according to an announcement made by Games Workshop on Tuesday. The announcement comes despite the fact Games Workshop’s most recent financial report indicates the firm’s gross and operating profit margins for the core business are rising.

https://www.wargamer.com/warhammer-price-hike-may-2024

Hoodoo

Arcane
Crimson fists melting their hands in acid so they can scrimshaw their own skeleton is and probably will always be peak 40k for me.

NotSweeper

Educated
Oh man, 40k lore, I remember back when I was big into this shit. I've since revised my stance in regards to all forms of lore. Namely, it's all shit, except for this.

Repent atheists!

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
K i want to make sure i'm up to date on every new big lore change.
So from what i've been hearing....

-Space marines are gay and get jealous when their brothers kiss each other but not them
-Eldar and dark eldar are all about trans idealogy, switching genders is just like putting on or off an aspect warrior mask, or visiting your local haemoniculi (tbf reaaranging flesh is their thing so i'll give dark eldar a pass).
-Sob accept trans into their ranks and this causes no issues whatsoever
-Sargon has been canonised in 40k and of course dies horribly to the woke authors oc, that'll teach him!

This everything? Great...

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
omfg this company

GW has announced a price hike of 3-5%, despite its most recent financial report showing a healthy profit margin for the manufacturer.

Warhammer prices are going to rise in the region of 3-5% on June 10, according to an announcement made by Games Workshop on Tuesday. The announcement comes despite the fact Games Workshop’s most recent financial report indicates the firm’s gross and operating profit margins for the core business are rising.

Have they even not being doing it once ? I remember the prices of GW miniatures to ever getting more expensive since I started playing in the late 90s, to the point I believe I discovered the concept of inflation with them.
In '99 a squad box was 125fr (19€). When euro arrived it climbed to something like 22€ and soon 25€. When I left the hobby it was closing to the 30€. And now I've just checked and it's over 40€, which was the price of small army boxes or a Land Raider.

Caim

Arcane
omfg this company

Have they even not being doing it once ? I remember the prices of GW miniatures to ever getting more expensive since I started playing in the late 90s, to the point I believe I discovered the concept of inflation with them.
In '99 a squad box was 125fr (19€). When euro arrived it climbed to something like 22€ and soon 25€. When I left the hobby it was closing to the 30€. And now I've just checked and it's over 40€, which was the price of small army boxes or a Land Raider.
When I got the 4e Tyranids Battleforce box I paid 80 euros for a Carnifex, eight Genestealers (both of them brand new back then) eight Termagants, eight Hormagaunts, three Warriors and the associated Rippers. Nowadays 80 euros gets me... two Carnifexes.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
When I got the 4e Tyranids Battleforce box I paid 80 euros for a Carnifex, eight Genestealers (both of them brand new back then) eight Termagants, eight Hormagaunts, three Warriors and the associated Rippers. Nowadays 80 euros gets me... two Carnifexes.
That's bullshit but as long as it sells they have no reason to do otherwise. The only backslash I remember was during the release of the plastic dreadnought, whose price hiked overnight from 25 to 35€ (almost a Land Raider). But it did not changed anything. A couple years later the French White Dwarf simply did away with reader mail because they were tired of people complaining of GW policies. Out of curiosity, I've just browsed the SM miniatures on some random shop and there is an increase of 100-200% on all minis since early 2000s, for an official inflation of 50%.

It's disheartening since there used to be so many better and cheaper miniature games but now everything is GW.

If I had the slightest suspicion anyone nearby played Bolt Action, I'd get myself a Waffen SS army... I don't think fags are going to get into that game anytime soon.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Oh man, 40k lore, I remember back when I was big into this shit. I've since revised my stance in regards to all forms of lore. Namely, it's all shit, except for this.

Repent atheists!

Yeah, I’m really sick of lore after decades of seeing it in action. It’s just the ramblings of egotistical hacks that changes so often that it’s not worth investing in. I’ve never seen better evidence that all stories need permanent endings and sequels are literally satan. Even George Lucas and J.K. Rowling lost their touch as the years wore on. J.R.R. Tolkien mercifully killed The New Shadow two pages into drafting it.

In my own writing, I take a fast and loose approach to lore as a result. It’s garnish at most, while the meat of the story is the themes, plotting and characterization. I don’t write sequels, I write anthologies.

Anyway, I recently heard of Ravaged Star, which is basically Squats vs Chaos Marines vs Tyranids. The miniatures look really nice. Anyone have experience with it?

NotSweeper

Educated
In my own writing, I take a fast and loose approach to lore as a result. It’s garnish at most, while the meat of the story is the themes, plotting and characterization. I don’t write sequels, I write anthologies.
Show, don't tell. Only way to do it.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Anyway, I recently heard of Ravaged Star, which is basically Squats vs Chaos Marines vs Tyranids. The miniatures look really nice. Anyone have experience with it?

Hmmm. Their miniatures have a real Warhammer x Starcraft look to them (ironic, yeah I know).

Null-The-Hordemaster-Stat-Card-Ravaged-Star.jpg

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

I’m watching the official video on the Gorkog and it’s not really drawing me in. At the 3 minute mark he says the Gorkog are just animals when they’re not controlled by the God of Wrath and humans can keep them as pets…

Checking out the Alien Hives in One Page Rules… they’re all individuals. They even have rebellions.

Sigh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom