Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
The Tragedy of Homeworld, or: Why We Can't Have Good Video Games

Written by BKR.

At the time of writing Homeworld 3 has just been released. No doubt it will fade quickly from the public consciousness and the memory of gamers after the usual song and dance is done on social media. For me however it hit different than the usual necromancy of some dead property to make it dance to the tune of Blackrock. It's not because my expectations of video games were shaped by Homeworld or because I'm particularly nostalgic for it. I have my boxed copy of the game proudly sitting on a shelf, safe and secure, and no demoralization campaign can take it away from me or change how think of or how I perceive the game. If it weren't for others talking about Homeworld 3 and the amusment I got from seeing the Shrek faced antagonist in some giantess fetish animation it wouldn't register for me and not occupy any space in my mind.

No, what made me ponder the situation was that not only did I think we had already been over this already, but also learned the right lesson from it. How is it that people got excited over a new "Homeworld" game published by Gearbox and developed by Blackbird, being made in the present stardate?

If you know what I'm talking about you can stop reading right here and give me my well deserved reddix updoot, I'm not going to tell you anything you're not already aware of. But if you don't know it's time to rewind the tape back to the good old days of the 90's to explain what made Homeworld what it was, and why it isn't today.

In the older days of gaming journalism the writers would place just as much emphasis on the publisher behind the game as the developer, if not more so. That way of thinking about video games went out of fashion, other than when people were reminded that publishers exist because they wanted someone to blame for bad business practices or rushing developers for economic reasons. That's what fueled the kickstarter period, the myth that it was the big bad publishers that were keeping the oppressed game developers down, they dindu nuffin wrong. Now you could give them your money directly. I'm going to have to presume that if you're reading this you are already painfully aware of how that turned out. This becomes relevant for Homeworld 3 but we'll get to that later.

The Rise

If you were a PC gamer at the time you'd be familiar with the publishing giant Sierra, even back then they were an old and storied thing, dating all the way back to 1979, and if you're old enough, no doubt responsible for some of your favorite games. In fact, when we're talking about 90's PC gaming there are only a few entities that are responsible for most of it. These were the guys that would fund and produce games like Arcanum, Starsiege: Tribes, Betrayal at Krondor, Caesar III, among many, many others, just to give you a taste. If you're into adventure games you're probably jizzing in your pants a little just thinking of Sierra.

Homeworld was always the vision of Alex Garden, the man with the plan, the mover and shaker, the guy who would get a meeting with Scott Lynch, VP of Sierra at the time, and sell the game with nothing more than a whiteboard and concept art and get the game project funded. It's hard to get across how much of a gamble publishers were willing to take in those days. This was an untested team being put together just for this game consisting of a bunch of unproven young guys that were going to attempt to put together something never done before. What was then that pipedream of fully realized and simulated Star Wars battles running on a computer, as a playable fun game. At the time a proposal as out there as No Man's Sky was at the time of its development.

Perhaps it should be obvious from the previous paragraph but I subscribe to a great man of video game history reading, while not being reductive in this, for no man is an island and exists in isolation. Homeworld was inspired. It took the basic premise of the Mormon Star Wars copycat Battlestar Galactica, a 70's show with quite another vibe and aesthetic, and aimed to present this as not just as the first truly 3D RTS, but one that looked like a Chris Foss or John Harris science fiction cover illustration. It was around Alex Garden this band of industry talent grew, because the vision was contagious, and he had already recruited great concept artists and designers to get his pitch sold. I'm not saying that he is the sole reason Homeworld was good, but that you need a guy like that to drive talent into making something great.

3kMLbrf.png

Too White? Too Asian? Too Male? Too talented? Too intelligent?

Because Homeworld was something entirely the project did run over budget and deadline but in the end the studio had the full backing of Sierra and got extensions, in the end it was worth it for not just the game but also the reception and sales they got, remember this because people on the team certainly did going forward. You should also know, even if it won't come up in a positive context again, that there was studio meddling. Sierra saw the potential in the game and sent in two in-house company writers to improve the writing, the core concept had been done by David J. Williams. Both of them insufferable leftists, but at the time the tumblr virus hadn't eaten their brains yet, and furthermore they were workmanlike. People don't understand that leftists are corpo deluxe people, chief upholders of capitalism, and if capital doesn't want them doing something they don't. Even here on the Codex we have our own Australian Chinese-wannabe landlord Marxist. Arinn Dembo was so ashamed of having written a script for a good game she used a male pseudonym in the credits. She also wrote the Ground Control manual for Sierra. Yeah, Ground Control was another Sierra game, something else to bear in mind for later.

In retrospect the premise of the game and the goal of it, which was highly detailed and simulated space combat from a strategic vantage point with the story being more of an afterthought, made this story much more universal. Individual people had little place in this space epic and you were free to infer yourself what the human scale of what the game presented you with would be like. When your homeworld burns there is no camera shot of a person making a sad face or melodramatic dialogue, it's distant and understated, which gives the player a sense of magnitude. Ironically the game developed without a diversity consulting agency and its writers kept under strict check and being ridden by science fiction nerds managed to be one of the most inclusive games in the true sense of the word. Even today you could sell the game to both sides of the Zionist-Palestinian conflict and both would think it was a game made about them.

The greatest triumph though was the depth the game offered, the game looked like a science fiction book cover of the 90's from one of the big illustrators because that was the expected aesthetic from something premium, but since the game was doing something new there were few expectations when it came to the meat of the game. The newly formed Relic didn't need to go the route of a simulator with their new game, but they did, and it speaks volumes that the copycats of it didn't. Anyone can do a basic Command & Conquer clone in space, turning it into a flat plane, making the AI and units as if you would any other RTS. Homeworld emphasised both AI and physics, ships didn't simply start and stop without momentum, and their projectiles were simulated and not colorful tracer lines on top of hitscan.

I can tell this is going to be overly long and few will read it even without going into the nitty gritty, so I'll mention one illustrative part of the depth. In your regular RTS after the Westwood formula you have a couple of stances for your units, if it's a competently put together game you can expect a passive mode where they simply follow orders, an aggressive stance wherein they'll attack and pursue enemies, and perhaps a skirmish mode if you're lucky, taking shots at enemies but not letting them close up on the unit. Homeworld's three stances however don't just change rudimentary behaviour but change the power distribution of the ship. Put them in evasive and they'll group two and two, with a wingman each, increase the speed of the unit, allowing them to manouver away from enemy projectiles at the cost of damage, as well as fuel for the larger ships. Set the stance to neutral and they'll balance the power output and hang back unless ordered otherwise. Finally the agressive stance makes your weapons hit harder at the cost of everything else, they'll hit like a truck but ignore enemy fire and become slower and more vulernable. This is something you'd expect in a first person space sim, not an RTS of the time.

Alex Garden also managed to not just attract and make the right choice in getting Paul Ruskay on board, but somehow also the band Yes to make the credits track for the game.

When the game was released in 1999 after several delays and a two year development cycle it was a massive success to such an extent we still remember it and talk about it.

The Fall

Sequels are rough, especially if you're going to follow up a first project that became iconic and established its own niche. The original team set out to develop a sequel, that was going to have features that had to be cut from the first game, and even more. Ambition had paid off the first time, delays had added value, and persistence had pushed them through challenges. They started to hammer away at it not after some pause or cancelled other project, but straight away in 1999. Both Sierra and them hoped to capitalize on the success of the first game and outdo themselves.

Details are scarce as companies in those days didn't put up their unfinished slop as a early access scam or kickstarter bait, studios went dark until they knew they had something to show. This is what we do know, they spent six months of development on a monster of a game before it was cancelled and the project was put on ice until 2002 when a newly formed team cobbled together something they deemed conservative in 18 months. Most of the original Relic team left after the clusterfuck that was the first iteration of Homeworld 2, including Alex Garden, and the team sent in to pick up the pieces couldn't work with many of the systems abandoned and had to for example cut out a terrain system, a new ambitious collision system, and units getting experience tied to who they work with in combat, veteran teams that had been through thick and thin together being much better coupled than with other units. There had been vector-based attack system. They at some point also considered making the first 4D RTS with time modulation as a core mechanic.

I don't remember what this all looked like from the outside at the time, but Homeworld died when the sequel got cancelled and rebooted. The new Sierra producer was a hardass, Chris Mahnken, and thought that further losses were unacceptable and gave the new team a strict deadline, tight budget and demanded frequent milestones after the last Homeworld 2 had been a big money pit with nothing to show for it for Sierra. What remained at this point was ephemeral residue from the creative hubris of the first game. Without Alex Garden the new team lacked clear leadership and fought to take the game in different directions, trying to get their own pet ideas into the game, particularly in regards to the story.

Lighting doesn't strike twice, especially not without a lightning rod. Only three artists survived the calamity of Homeworld 2 burning and stayed for the new Homeworld 2. Paul Ruskay returned to bless the game with both soundscape and musical style that had set apart the first game apart aesthetically compared to its competition. To the consumer it still the old Relic, delivering a disappointing sequel to a truly great game. How did they manage to make the physics worse in the sequel after spending four years on it compared to what was achieved in the two spent making the first game? It wasn't the same people, and they didn't have four years, they franticly spent the last 18 months trying to patch something together from the wreckage of the last attempt and you should be impressed they got it working at all since nobody then employed knew the old projectile system.

All that remained was the style, slightly trampled, since I very much doubt the sequel had a style guide bible like the first one, or half as much thought put into the ships. Alex Garden had been adamant about UI being a crutch and that it should be minimal at all times, but without him the new team had started cluttering the game up with a fat UI taking a lot of space. It's not ugly, the main menu and graphics evoke the stylishness of The Designers Republic, but it felt out of place after the minimalism of the first game. They did manage to reproduce some of the style in the game, the artists that remained leading the charge into something resembling Homeworld. In the end we got a game that looked good, that had the right sound, but not only failed to innovate or improve upon the formula of the first game, but also did just about everything when it came to the meat of the game, the gameplay, worse. Sounds familiar?

Sidetracks

While Alex Garden was leading the brave charge into the sun with his brazenly bold and unworkable Homeworld sequel Sierra wanted something to keep Homeworld relevant and the fans happy, knowing they were in for the long haul if the first game was anything to go by. As was in style at the time they got a second studio to get to work at it, Barking Dog, and since they were building off the already pre-established Homeworld base without any hardship there isn't much to say about it. Typically the company they contracted would go on to work on some other mercenary project afterwards, this temporary B-team. In this case though one of company men, one the writers sent in to clean up Homeworld, was on the project and had risen to the rank of designer, as well as amateur-professional voice actor.

Martin Cirulis, the writer in question now designer, wouldn't work on Homeworld 2, but since that team was a directionless shitshow it didn't matter. Why he does matter is because he'd go on to found Kerberos Productions and it's interesting because that game is the total opposite of the direction the Homeworld series would contiue on. Serving as the lead designer on Sword of the Stars it seems that working with the original Homeworld team had rubbed off on him. This was in the dark era of console gaming and the PC scene was underfunded. Sword of the Stars is a 4X game in the Master of Orion tradition, but with real-time sort of Homeworld-esque real-time battles. The game's art direction looked like something you'd find on DeviantArt at the time, or in a 00's webcomic, but the gameplay depth was greater than most of its competition. While Paradox is still trying to figure out asymetric space 4X, having watered it down in Stellaris after their more distinct system didn't work, Kerberos was successfully doing it about as well it could be done in 2006. They also managed to get Paul Ruskay to make a soundtrack for the game.

So why aren't people comparing Stellaris unfarvourably to Sword of the Stars, a game with more mechanical depth? Presentation. Homeworld might be one of the richest games mechanically in its niche, but unless presented as it did few would have played it to know about it. The better you look, the more you see. And the more others see. Still, it did well enough to warrant a sequel but it seems that Martin Cirulis either didn't learn from the Homeworld 2 debacle or didn't know about it, because he repeated the same mistake if milder. Going for more systems and in general increased scope and ambition the team launched Sword of the Stars II not as a triumph but as a broken unplayable mess, from which the series never recovered. Another one for the graveyard.

Necromancy

The next person coasting on old glories was Rob Cunningham, former art teacher that had been dragged into developing Alex Garden's pitch and then the game, as well as Aaron Kambeitz, the guy responsible for the cheap cinematics that were created due to budget and time constraints more so than being intentionally stylistic, but working out as a happy accident in favor of Homeworld just like how Max Payne got its distinct graphic novel style from restrictions and necessity. Say what you will about Blackbird, becaues the company was founded by artfags the games they put out are nice to look at. THQ at the time had the Homeworld IP and they were hoping to get a deal with them to bring the series back with their first game. What kind of game was it? A free to play live-service version of Ground Control, that old Sierra game, but with more of an Homeworld aesthetic.

THQ had been working with what little was left of Relic before, on the Dawn of War series, the good ones, not the moba that SEGA comissioned for the third and last entry. THQ croaked in 2013, at which point Hardware: Shipbreakers had been in development for three years starting development in 2010. In swoops the cancer on gaming, Gearbox. Notorious terrible developer and publisher, the company that shat out Duke Nukem Forever, that scammed SEGA by outsourcing their Alien: Colonial Marines game to some rinky dink developer for peanuts while spending the money on their own redditor approved Borderlands series. That Gearbox goes in and buys up the IP from under the noses of Blackbird and then comes to an agreement with them. If you've been following along in this piece you'll know by now that whoever has the money calls the shots.

It would take until 2016 for Hardware: Shipbreakers, now rebranded as Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, to get released. One can only imagine how many reboots and firing and hiring cycles went on behind the scenes. Either due to backlash or simply the market tanking the game had underwent a change into a more traditional game without MMO, F2P and live-service parts. The final result was a bleak copy of Ground Control with remaining moba or phone game elements, like special abilities with cooldowns. Paul Ruskay returned, of course, at this point he's earning a living by giving people nostalgia drip feed by ear.

It's after this I start to question the sanity of people.

Posthumous execution

Apparently this repurposed F2P Ground Control clone was enough to convince some people that the old Relic was back, reborn as Blackbird Interactive. Despite funding the game Gearbox made Blackbird hold a figstarter, crowdfunding Homeworld 3. Now I don't know about you but if you've reading up until this point you have to ask what sort of assclown would back such a proposal with his money. Certainly not a Homeworld fan. This is a company that took six years to develop Deserts of Kharak, clearly suffering from not just bad leadership but also being a company without vision and direction if what their ultimate goal is to relive the glories of... 1999. And this is a band where only the drummer is left since the original success.

Somehow, don't ask me how, they managed to get their funding and started to promise the keys to heaven to the backers. I don't know, maybe Randy needed a quick cash flow to pay for prostitutes pissing on him. I wonder what happened next, it's not like we've ever been here before, right? The game began development around 2017 and just came out, you do the math. Should a Homeworld sequel take six years or so? Sierra ran a tight ship and managed to salvage something from the trainwreck sequel. Gerabox though, they have other ambitions than selling games of a quality that gamers will accept.

As a Fig backer, none of the promises were kept. Literally none of them. The scale didn't get bigger, the ballistics mechanics are nonexistent, the railgun frigate is gone, and the scarring system is not only irrelevant due to the average ~15 minute session time for each mode, but also completely nonexistent. Instead, ships show a gross tiling effect for damage. That's every feature they mentioned in 5 years of "insider access", just not in the game.

Shortly before release the studio rewarded employees with massive layoffs, and have been at it for a long time now, cutting down on personnel. What I want to know is why anyone was looking forward to this game or thought it would be anything other than a trainwreck. Not only is just about all the original team gone, there are no visionary people around, there is no science fiction media around worth engaging with anymore that might inform the direction of the game, the reboot TV show Battlestar Galactica as far as I can tell copied Homeworld of all things and that was a long time ago by now that aired.

One of the founders of the studio was the cinematics artist guy from Homeworld and from what I can tell he was promoted into incompetence, no longer doing the servicable cinematics present in Desters of Kharak for Homeworld 3. According to wikipedia the Sierra company man they got in to fix up the writing in Homeworld, Martin Cirulis, also did the writing on Homeworld 3. But you have to remember he wasn't responsible for the premise of the game or general direction, and where he really shone was as a designer on Sword of the Stars. Since the credits aren't up on mobygames yet I can't tell how much more of a dumpsterfire the game was.

After all this time we got another Homeworld 2, a game without strong vision and direction, mechanically shallow and skimping on simulation, but retaining some of the visual style and audio design, just enough to lure the dumbest of herd animals into thinking of better times and better games, from when the new millennium hadn't arrived yet. Nobody learnt anything from history. On top of that you have woke capital and corporate, bringing the game down even more. If man was a learning animal we'd know better than to pay too much attention to branding, "IPs", and studios that fire and hire quicker than brothels in busy areas.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
This is also a thread about the Homeworld series in general and repeating the same mistake over again ad infinitum. Discuss.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
How many beloved things from our childhood do we have to watch die?

There's something deeply revolting about these corps fucking the corpse of the things we used to like. Things that expanded our imagination.

Like I said elsewhere, they're not only content to sell your data and kill the planet, but they also want to take even your escapism from you.

That's fucked up.

1715839790251.png

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
These 90's dev team images are always so blackpilling. We have lost so much.
Game dev physiognomy is real and you can judge a book by its cover. If they look like people that would make a good game and care about highly autistic game mechanics to maximize enjoyment and fun then they probably can and do. Did too back in the 90's and early 00's.

hcvCm11.png

isDTly6.png

karoliner also just reminded me that Gearbox also took the time to fuck up the original game with the remake, also made by Blackbird, which is now the only version of the game being sold digitally, and that remake inherited the rushed game mechanics of the second game. Forgot to mention that, I also have some direct print sources I could post if anyone is interested, to back up what I wrote in my initial post. Some are under stricter copyright though and can't safely be posted on a public forum.

A bit of apocrypha, if anyone is wondering what happened to Alex Garden the last I heard of him he had left the gaming industry and was involved in making AIs deliver pizza, I shit you not.

How many beloved things from our childhood do we have to watch die?
You should be over Homeworld dying by now, it's been dead since about the year 2000. The corpos also don't seem to have much of a choice since they are shit at coming up with anything original and the industry isn't at all geared towards giving some highly excited young adult millions of dollars to assemble a team of highly motivated and passionate individuals to make the next big thing. There's a lot of malignity in the industry towards customers these days and the games and even people that built the industry, that's true, but the market and business isn't what it used to be either in any shape or form.

You should know, back in the day you might have walked into Sierra's offices and out with a pile of cash to make a game that would become iconic and stand the test of time, but in your case it would be less Homeworld and more Leisure Suit Larry, which was an actual series Sierra funded and published.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Awesome write up man. It‘s probably not very relevant to the narrative, but how does Homeworld Cataclysm fit into all of this? Was it developed by a third party studio? As far as I‘m concerned that‘s the only other good Homeworld game besides the original.

By the way, I hear that in the Remaster, they actually added in most of the ballistics systems back into Homeworld 1 with later patches, and in the process, did the same for Homeworld 2, thus greatly improving the latter.

I read conflicting reports on how true the balllistics are to the original. From what I could gather it‘s a somewhat close approximation, but there are still problems and things that don‘t work as they should, even with the community patch. I guess the Remaster is a good way to play Homeworld 2, but for the original game the classic version is unsurpassed.

Last edited:

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Awesome write up man. It‘s probably not very relevant to the narrative, but how does Homeworld Cataclysm fit into all of this? Was it developed by a third party studio? As far as I‘m concerned that‘s the only other good Homeworld game besides the original.
I very briefly went over it in the piece under the Sidetracks heading, because to me it was more interesting that it resulted in the formation of Kerberos. But sure, Sierra was usually pretty involved in production, as can be seen in that they sent in their own writers to improve the already good story concept of David J. Williams in Homeworld 1, and these would be leading a third party studio to make more content for the base game. Ground Control also got an expansion pack made in the same way, the Dark Conspiracy expansion was being made by High Voltage Software, while Massive began working on a sequel.

In Homeworld's case they contracted Barking Dog Studios, a new startup by former Radical Entertainment devs. Unless you have someone like Alex Garden aboard, a man with a plan and the recruited talent to convince a publisher to back you, then development studios needed any gig they could get but they'd be at danger of becoming an auxiliary studio only helping out on projects instead of establishing their own brand and style. Barking Dog fell into that hole and eventually got merged into Rockstar. If you're a Homeworld fan the only thing of interest they did after Cataclysm was to get a contract for a movie license suited to their previous experience.

Disney was putting in the big bucks into their animated film Treasure Planet and as things tended to go in those days license games were inevitable, one of them was made by Barking Dog and it's a now mostly forgotten title called Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon. It's like Homeworld but for a younger intended audience with simplified gameplay and leaning more towards a naval game than one set in space, but it is surprisingly excellent for what it is, and to any Codexers with very young kids I'd recommend it as an entryway to the genre. Unless you want to psychologically damage them by making them contemplate total planetary scorching at an early age.

Apparently it was an enjoyable experience and rather than continuing to assist with projects at Barking Dog Martin Cirulis, who as I already wrote had ascended to lead on that project, as well as Arinn Dembo who had written the script of both Homeworld 1 and Catacylsm, or as I reffered to the both of them earlier, the Sierra company writers, and a bunch of other guys went on to form a new studio that would go on to make Sword of the Stars.

Basically, Catacylsm was good thanks to Sierra, but that shouldn't be surprising since they were heavily pushing for quality at the time, but also in particular to the Sierra VP Scott Lynch who oversaw it and previously gave Alex Garden his shot at making the ultimate space RTS. Publisher talent is often overlooked these days but if you read interviews with developers they are often indespensable and was what separated an indie project from ones in the big leagues. Another example of that which comes to mind is how Microprose was responsible for X-COM being as good as it is, it's interesting to read up on if you have the time.

ind33d

Learned
Amazing how demoralization always targets sci-fi first. It's almost as though this is a prison pl—

ACK

v1c70r14

Educated
I always wondered what happened to Homeworld 2. So the game shown in this trailer would have been the unfinished work of the original team then.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I always wondered what happened to Homeworld 2. So the game shown in this trailer would have been the unfinished work of the original team then.

i do know that the only aspect from homeworld 2's original conception that has was fully realized in homeworld 3 was the megaliths

they were originally gonna be put in homeworld 2, but were eventually cut out because they could not be fully implemented well due to the computer hardware limits of the time

they did experiment with them, as shown in these old prototype pics, but they couldn't be implemented in a way that was convincing enough to align with the dev's ambition of implementing large-scale structures that serve as 'space terrain':

20150222154510-eee4fca0-me.jpg

20150222154509-dbdd86ee-me.jpg

DesolationStone

Educated
There were also Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and Haegemonia: Legions of Iron, but IMHO none of them managed to capture the magic of the story and the balance of the gameplay (neither arcade nor simulation).

This death of the franchise is very sad and stupid. No one asked for the megaliths, no one asked for the CGI cinematic, no one asked for the many, many things they still put into the game.

A remake of Homeworld Cataclysm would have done more and better for the franchise than this.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I remember when Homeworld went gold, people were freaking out like the second coming of Christ. Stayed on top charts for weeks.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Thought I'd capstone this thread by very briefly talking about Deserts of Kharak, which I just played through. Relic was a studio founded to make Homeworld and even though most people that made that game what it was left when the first iteration of the sequel flew too close to the sun and burned it would define the studio going forward, even when Sierra's headquarters were shut down in 2004, one year after Homeworld 2's release. They'd be swallowed up by THQ and the Dawn of War series speaks for itself.

It's hard to get across just how much was lost when Sierra shut down after Vivendi started cutting costs Embracer style. Impressions Games for example was shut down, despite their city builder remaining consistently good. Zeus: Master of Olympus and Pharaoh after Caesar III, and then the badly selling but high quality Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom after that. People forget it now that Valve is a powerhouse of a publisher, but Half-Life was a Sierra show too. You might not know this but the Sierra VP that was passionate about Homeworld is someone you might have seen before and not even known about it.
X2cF8Wj.jpeg
And had such a good relation with Valve that after Sierra went to shit he joined Valve.

Anyway, so if Relic was started to create the most ambitious space RTS of not just the era but up until now, what about Blackbird? What was their mission statement? Well, if you coughed up extra bucks for a digital manual that doesn't come with the game by default they'll tell you what their intent was.

3s2GAr4.png

Hardware: Shipbreakers will begin an RTS revolution

Or so developer Blackbird Interactive hopes
What is Hardware: Shipbreakers? It was a question that I asked myself several times after watching the trailer that Blackbird Interactive, founded by ex-Homeworld developers, released last month. The admittedly gorgeous video revealed few facts, and there weren’t many to be found elsewhere, either.

So, to the source, then. Blackbird’s Dan Irish would be my guide, as I uncovered the mysteries of Hardware: Shipbreakers, an RTS set amid the husks of dead ships in a poisonous desert wasteland.

Greed and the desire for fortune is the driving force behind those that travel to LM-27, the deadly world strewn with the remains of derelict ships. It’s a miserable place, where the dust grinds down man and machine alike. This is the stage for Hardware: Shipbreakers.

“We’re taking the standard RTS conventions to the next level in terms of style and gameplay combinations,” Dan states. How is Blackbird doing this? Well, Dan was playing things close to his chest. A gameplay reveal is being made in a few weeks, so my questions about how much the title will stick to the RTS trinity of resource gathering, combat, and base building went unanswered.

Absent information on the gameplay and mechanics, it’s hard to get a clear picture of how Hardware will play, but it’s a free-to-play RTS with social features, so that should tell us something.

“We want our game to reach as many people as possible. Additionally, we’re happy that in being free-to-play we can get immediate feedback on our content as it is deployed,” Dan explained in regards to the F2P business model.

“Previously, we’d slave away for several years on a game, put it into an envelope, ship it off somewhere. Then we’d get it back a few weeks later in a box and see it on the shelf in retailers for a few weeks to a few months later. Then the cycle would repeat a few years later for our next game.”

Hardware has been described as both a social game and persistent, but according to Dan, neither of those descriptions are completely accurate.

“This is a bit of a misnomer,” Dan clarified when I brought up the social elements. “It’s social in the way that if you team up for PvP, complimentary teams require specialization of your units. And you’ll have to work together to be an effective team — think ground army with player 1 and air unit support with player 2. This is pretty standard for most RTS games. Where our ‘social aspect’ comes into play is in the formation of clans or factions, tournaments, and competitive play.”

He wanted to make it perfectly clear that Hardware would not be a Facebook game. Blackbird is just using the social platform to engage with its community and get feedback. As account management and customer support is still being worked on, Facebook is simply a good place for the developer to stay in touch with its potential customers.

On the subject of persistence, Dan told me that it’s not the world or game-space that would be persistent, rather it is focused on the vehicle fleet and the hero vehicle. The language he used made me think of Dawn of War 2‘s multiplayer, or the increasingly popular MOBA genre.

Although Dan wouldn’t talk about modes or the campaign, he did reveal that the campaign probably won’t be story-based, and there will be both PvE and PvP modes, with competitive and cooperative play.

The teaser trailer, filled with sumptuous concept art, left me with memories of Homeworld. “Hardware: Shipbreakers shares some DNA with Homeworld,” Dan confirmed. “But any connection to that IP is purely stylistic at most. We’re inspired by that franchise and all that it delivered to fans over the years, but today it is a new world.

“There are new business models and new player expectations for today, very different from the last decade of gaming. We’re planning to deliver on a new promise of an awesome RTS experience set in a unique sci-fi backdrop of deep fiction. Just like Homeworld was groundbreaking in its day, Hardware is being set-up to usher in the next era of RTS revolution.”

The apparent lack of a story-based campaign makes me wonder just how much the “deep fiction” will affect Hardware. If it just exists in the background, out of reach, then I question the extent of its potential impact.

The trailer also revealed Hardware‘s solid art direction, but I asked Dan how representative the concept art would be of the finished product. “We have a few more trailers coming up shortly. The goal of these are to slowly take the player into the fiction and then cross-over into actual gameplay footage. The transition between the gameplay footage and the conceptual footage you’ve seen in the trailer should be a blurred line. I’m excited to see the reaction to our next trailer.”

Whenever the free-to-play business model is mentioned, microtransactions and extra costs are never far from people’s minds. Dan wasn’t able to reveal too much about this aspect. “We can talk about this in more detail after the gameplay reveal but suffice it to say it will follow familiar conventions with gameplay loops that are rewarding, compelling and of high value. Look at the production values we’re known for and you’ve see in some of the past games that we’ve worked on. Now couple that with a new IP, a new business model, and a pure RTS online experience.”

Hardware: Shipbreakers will be coming to Mac and PC during Q4 2013.

I’ll be speaking with Blackbird Interactive again in a few weeks to get more information on gameplay and mechanics, so keep your eyes peeled.

Of course that changed when they got to use the Homeworld IP and with whatever was going on in the market for their idle phone game, but I don't think they ever really switched gears entirely. Just like any phone game that aims to make a quick buck on an intellectual property H:DoK doesn't just skate on the Homeworld IP but cuts it uncomfortably close to another Sierra game of the same time, Ground Control. Massive had been a Swedish studio from before they were made privy to the full joys of diversity, vibrance and jewish "progressiveness", and they had made Sierra another convention breaking RTS game. Instead of building a base on each map and building up an economy from scratch as if every battle was some pitched battle of instant civilization building you'd just fly your units in with a dropship, you know, like in real life.

Ground Control featured large maps, a very easy to use but free 3D camera, and a highly focused gameplay setup around the use of units. It also had a setting and story with one group of conventional units, the player, fighting against a religious cult with hoover vehicles that are quicker and more agile but less sturdy, over artifacts on the planet. This is also the setting of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, and the two sides you will be seeing. It copies other things, like the intermissions with characters making logs or speaking with one another, instead of making use of the style of the Homeworld games.

Not only is there a lack of vision but as a company Blackbird also retained many of the MOBA conventions, instead of the purely stategic use of units of Ground Control, every unit has some ability with a cooldown that you're supposed to spam, giving the game more of an APM feel than one of strategizing and planning things out. Quality control is also rather poor, even now after all these years I encountered a selection bug and one of the missions don't have an image when you select it while the rest have them, smaller things like that, enough to make the game feel unpolished.

Not content recycling old Sierra properties they'd later go on to recycle the original idea for Hardware: Shipbreakers in their later title, Hardspace: Shipbreaker. This was a first person shovelware title, like those Gas Station Simulator type of games you'd see on steam by that Polish scam publisher, Movie Games. Supposedly it seemed to have a lot of promise early on, hence good reviews on steam, but it was an Early Access title that they had no idea what to do with and eventually arbitrarily put out a 1.0 and called it done.

Writing however was serviceable, not a big surprise considering the original writer, David J. Williams, came back, as well as with some help from Martin Cirulis. The writing is actually the best part just before the graphics which are miles ahead of most other post-console rise RTS games, which considering the studio was founded by one of the art guys from the first game, shouldn't be surprising. It's just a shame then that most of it is buried in the DLC software manual you get with the game. It's also refreshing that the religious devoted people were right all along and you're unwittingly playing as the bad guys. Gearbox hadn't yet sent in their DEI goonsquad clowns yet.

Cl0DbWN.png

In DoK David J. Williams is credited as the lead writer, in Homeworld 3 he is credited with the "story concept", like how Alex Garden was credited with "game concept" in Homeworld 2, meaning he didn't have much at all to do with the final thing we got to see at all.

I don't think Blackbird ever shook off that original intent, because when Homeworld 3 launched it would err in the same direction and even more so than DoK did, Their main focus of the DLC for example is supposed to be around this co-op roguelike gamemode, not on more campaign content. The abilities with cooldowns returned as well as the smaller areas and quicker less strategic and tactical engagements. The same jank. But also with some real good looking in-game graphics.

Last edited:

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
As for further reading I can recommend Game Design: Secrets of the Sages (2000) for not just commentary from Alex Garden but codex favorites like Tim Cain and many, many others. In particular Alex Garden mentions how he ran the studio in a way to make sure the project followed a single vision and the idea of a single person, while making the most use of whatever the talent employed could contribute in service of that one idea. That is in stark contrast to this postmortem by the developers of the Homeworld 2 version we got to play, from Game Developer magazine.

Z8h0o0H.jpeg

QddmxKI.jpeg

VGz0WVc.jpeg

zsZ0YqF.jpeg

b468VE6.jpeg

pPFFT5V.jpeg

Then there's this early preview for Homeworld from Sierra's own magazine, InterAction.

NuN6Iih.jpeg

hKlG3mc.jpeg

f2HTMdf.jpeg

RqWQYRP.jpeg

yQNk1Nb.jpeg

ggYyBrk.jpeg

hdnUsRD.jpeg

The official Homeworld art book also contains details about the game's development, from concept art and pitch to completed game. Unfortunately it is not in print but was sold for a limited time to promote interest in the figstarter campaign. Furthermore there is also this extended interview with the founder of Blackbird, Rob Cunningham, reminiscing about old times.

Alex Garden was not just the guy with the idea, the guy that kept the project together and managed the team, but he was also the guy promoting the game to the media, you'll find numerous interviews with him on sites now only acessible with the wayback machine.

There, the final world on Homeworld after Gearbox killed it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Gladiator 2 will presumably be about a fierce black trans woman fighting to escape the patriarchy.

Napalm

Novice
Things like this have always made me wonder where the Hell the builders got all that metal.
There is plenty of materials spread out in galaxy for a "sufficiently advanced" civilization to collect. It does get a little weird though when you have a Death Star sized thing built by a society like the Empire in Star Wars, which still operates on the level where using Mk.1 humans for most basic manual labour is considered acceptably effective.

v1c70r14

Educated
It does get a little weird though when you have a Death Star sized thing built by a society like the Empire in Star Wars, which still operates on the level where using Mk.1 humans for most basic manual labour is considered acceptably effective.
You are forgetting about the force and the emperor. One of the great powers the force gives you is to move rocks with your mind, extrapolate that a little out into space.

Jr0RplD.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom