Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Original Switch version + its DLCs will be delisted in June. Will keep my physical copy, then.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How does this run on Switch? I've recently been playing Persona 3 Reload and SMT Nocturne, and I love both games. Can't believe I've been playing so many other mediocre jRPGs and never realized how much this series catered to me gameplay-wise (I hate the aesthetics but hey, what can you do). I'm gonna play the entire series for sure in time, but I'd love to play SMT V Vengeance on the switch, however:

1) I've been burned on demanding games on the Switch before. I'm thinking because this was specifically made for the console, I'll be alright?

2) For Persona 5 Royal I've read you need mods to disable OP trash DLC. Will that be the case for Vengeance as well?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If we are to judge the series based on its history then Persona games always got easier with the expansions while the mainline MegaTens went from easy to being overall more consistent in their challenge with Strange Journey Redux being a bit of an odd duck existing somewhere in the middle for me.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
How does this run on Switch? I've recently been playing Persona 3 Reload and SMT Nocturne, and I love both games. Can't believe I've been playing so many other mediocre jRPGs and never realized how much this series catered to me gameplay-wise (I hate the aesthetics but hey, what can you do). I'm gonna play the entire series for sure in time, but I'd love to play SMT V Vengeance on the switch, however:

1) I've been burned on demanding games on the Switch before. I'm thinking because this was specifically made for the console, I'll be alright?

2) For Persona 5 Royal I've read you need mods to disable OP trash DLC. Will that be the case for Vengeance as well?
SMTV ran "fine" for an UE4 game on the Switch. But definitely frame drops to the 20s here and there. I personally would recommend to play it on any other platform but the Switch. Just wait a little bit longer for PV03, and I might gift the game to you for PC.

And P5R is an absolute piss easy game without any sort of challenge besides maybe one or two super bosses and the first dungeon on HARD. But yeah, you definitely should deactivate these items.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

SMTV ran "fine" for an UE4 game on the Switch. But definitely frame drops to the 20s here and there. I personally would recommend to play it on any other platform but the Switch. Just wait a little bit longer for PV03, and I might gift the game to you for PC.

And P5R is an absolute piss easy game without any sort of challenge besides maybe one or two super bosses and the first dungeon on HARD. But yeah, you definitely should deactivate these items.

Gift it to another deserving bro, I’m made of money. But thanks for the tip!

As for P5R, I read the same but was optimistic I would be able to fix it with mods? P3R is pretty easy but it has just enough challenge on merciless to keep me entertained once in a while. And the usability/vibe of combat just feels so good.

d1r

Patron

Gift it to another deserving bro, I’m made of money. But thanks for the tip!

As for P5R, I read the same but was optimistic I would be able to fix it with mods? P3R is pretty easy but it has just enough challenge on merciless to keep me entertained once in a while. And the usability/vibe of combat just feels so good.
I have no idea about P5R's modding scene.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Can confirm. P5Royal is indeed brainless except for the very first dungeon and some wonky robot boss in the middle. And that extends to social links which are piss easy to maximize even before the first playthrough lategame.

OG P5 on Hard was worth it as it's more challenging than Royal. And I'm yet to play P3 Remake, but I hear it's merciless mode offers a similar challenge, including hard to maximize Social-links.

Honestly, Royal is purely a visual novel. Can't understand the fuss.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Can confirm. P5Royal is indeed brainless except for the very first dungeon and some wonky robot boss in the middle. And that extends to social links which are piss easy to maximize even before the first playthrough lategame.

OG P5 on Hard was worth it as it's more challenging than Royal. And I'm yet to play P3 Remake, but I hear it's merciless mode offers a similar challenge, including hard to maximize Social-links.

you sound like a tryhard

Deflowerer

Arcane

you sound like a tryhard

Eh, it's a common thing with their re-releases to add more possibilities to pimp out your abilities without balancing the mobs around it. I suspect they do it partially also because they purposefully want your second time around to be a lot easier so you can experience new story additions quicker.

d1r

Patron
Apparently someone on Twitter has been leaking some of the upcoming dailies:

d1r

Patron
New short SMTVV video showcasing new locations and another new track!

Jinn

Arcane
Brand new players of the game: do you think you'll choose the original campaign (Canon of Creation), or the new campaign (Canon of Vengeance)? I'm definitely leaning more towards Canon of Vengeance myself, particularly because it seems that's where the new large dungeon is being added into the game, if I understand correctly?

d1r

Patron
Brand new players of the game: do you think you'll choose the original campaign (Canon of Creation), or the new campaign (Canon of Vengeance)? I'm definitely leaning more towards Canon of Vengeance myself, particularly because it seems that's where the new large dungeon is being added into the game, if I understand correctly?
The new dungeon is a replacer for another dungeon from the Creation route. Vengeance route is not adding more content on top of the original route, but changes the whole story significantly by making you visit different locations than in the original route after the first few hours of the game.

Canon of Creation route is almost completely centered around the player, whereas the Vengeance route lays more focus on the group as a whole including the new female team member. From what we have seen so far, I would say that Creation route might feel a little bit barebones for newcomers who played the Vengeance route first, because there is almost no "bonding" with the cast, since some characters only get very few screen time (unless they add new side content for the cast in the Creation route as well), and even when they do, they tell the player character something, and be off again.

Since both routes come with their own soundtrack, Canon of Creation is still absolutely worth playing though.

Jinn

Arcane
Hmmm, regardless I'll likely play Canon of Vengeance first and save Canon of Creation for a future replay. Great to have the option for an entirely unique route waiting for me in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom