Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I gave a try to Yakuza 7/like a dragon... the one that introduced the turn-based combat, to be clear.

Few points:
- I liked the story and the characters... Sort of.
- I GENUINELY didn't like the gameplay and pacing. In the first few hours I stuck with it, the game has been an uninterrupted sequence of incredibly boring random combats repeated over and over, alternated with fucking interminable cutscenes going on for minutes and minutes each.
- I was basically forcing myself to play it and not drop it because "at some point maybe it will click for me" and then I got in chapter 4 where the game keeps crashing over and over during the "Meet the Seiryu Chairman" ambush sequence-pseudo-dungeon.
After the first couple of crashes I said "Well, I'll have just to abuse the save and bruteforce my way through it" but what do I know? Someone who designed this part thought it would be really, really hardcore if the player was forced to get through its entirety in one go. Too bad they didn't take software stability into account so after seven or eight attempts all ended with crash to desktop I think I'm figuratively throwing this into the trash bin and forgetting about it.

I'm almost finished with 0 and honestly I have the exact same sentiment as you. The story is often hilarious and sometimes even sublimely dramatic and well-directed during key moments, but in the end, the gameplay is so fucking ass it's hard not to feel like I'm booting it up out of sheer desire to finish it rather than enjoyment.

Haven't had any tecnical issues, but can definitely vibe with that feeling of forcing myself to play it.

cruel

Cipher
I'm back to playing this (Infinite Wealth), but I'm not sure if I will be able to do so - FF VII Rebirth, even with its issues, looks like a masterpiece compared to that. Chapter 8, the game is already boring and poorly paced, but now they decide that one of your protagonists wants to reminisce his past - 90 freaking map markers to visit. 90. Why? Why they do that? Do people actually enjoy that, running around two maps like a headless chicken and clicking things to collect / view / whatever? Such a waste of time, I hate this modern trend in gaming.

Is there ANYTHING interesting happening after chapter 8 at all? Or I'm safe to drop this boring piece of shit and never touch it again? 8.5 user score on Metacritic, WTF is happening with this world.

Deflowerer

Arcane
To be honest I never intentionally go my way to collect and experience stuff in a methodical manner in these games. I go from main plot point to main plot point, after each main plot destination do 1-2 side quests and all the extra stuff (minigames, wandering around) just happens naturally as I do this stuff. Also rarely heal with items and get all my health back up through restaurants. So it doesn't bother me as much.

But I am on Chapter 8 as well and yes, game has some massive pacing issues. It's another case of Yakuza 5 except combat is shit because of how easy everything is on the normal difficulty.

Alas, I've been playing these games since 2005 so I gotta slurp it up.

Ivan

Arcane
I love this series and look forward to buying Infinite Wealth during the summer sale. I hope it continues to deliver excellent music and hope there isn't too much recycling and plenty of new music to dig into.

Just sharing some of my favorite "silly" songs from the Yakuza games that make me laugh/smile:

Ono Michio song

instant feel good song:

Elttharion

Learned
I love this series and look forward to buying Infinite Wealth during the summer sale. I hope it continues to deliver excellent music and hope there isn't too much recycling and plenty of new music to dig into.
I like this one a lot

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat LAD Gaiden. A game shouldn't make you feel this way. I loved the final fighting parts, and the ending almost made me choke. Well done RGG, well done.

Last edited:

Alphons

Cipher
I beat LAD Gaiden. A game shouldn't make you feel this way. I loved the final fighting parts, and the ending almost made me choke. Well done RGG, well done.

How long is it? I'm planning on using Gamepass to play through Ishin and Gaiden, but I'm afraid I won't be able to beat one after another (especially seeing that Ishin apparently is grindier than others).

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

How long is it? I'm planning on using Gamepass to play through Ishin and Gaiden, but I'm afraid I won't beat be able to beat one after another (especially seeing that Ishin apparently is grindier than others).
Took me 35 hours to do almost everything.

mushroomrain

Novice

How long is it? I'm planning on using Gamepass to play through Ishin and Gaiden, but I'm afraid I won't be able to beat one after another (especially seeing that Ishin apparently is grindier than others).
To me Ishin didn't seem that grindy. Unless you are going for all the achievements and shit.

cruel

Cipher
I'm impressed. After playing Infinite Wealth for 52h and reaching chapter 10, I was able to actually die in combat for the first time (Chau fight side quest). Talk about a difficult game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom