Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I wonder how you come up with such a horrible design. When I think about Vampire hunters, I think of John Carpenter's Vampire and Blade. For more recent stuff they could have taken some inspiration from The Strain and Ash vs Evil Dead. It should be gritty and dark, with small doses of black humor. How on earth do you end up with shit like this. Have they ever mentioned sources or references for the design of the setting and general "tone"? If it had brilliant gameplay I would consider looking behind the horrible design, but it seems that they failed on all fronts.

I wonder how you come up with such a horrible design. When I think about Vampire hunters, I think of John Carpenter's Vampire and Blade. For more recent stuff they could have taken some inspiration from The Strain and Ash vs Evil Dead. It should be gritty and dark, with small doses of black humor. How on earth do you end up with shit like this. Have they ever mentioned sources or references for the design of the setting and general "tone"? If it had brilliant gameplay I would consider looking behind the horrible design, but it seems that they failed on all fronts.

Those things were written by people with talent. The only thing that modern hacks can write is cheesy one-liners and obnoxious characters, so they have to make the whole world revolve around that style of storytelling.

Zlaja

Arcane
The only thing that modern hacks can write is cheesy one-liners

They can't even get those right.

9i7acd86p5y21.jpg

Egosphere

Arcane
Between Arkane Lyon only being capable of making garbage and Arkane Austin losing most of their veteran staff who made a great game, I think it's safe to assume that Arkane is virtually dead now. Now it's just another name for a studio that used to house talented devs, but they (Bethesda) ruined that and can't even get anyone to apply for them since they offer a shitty deal (low wages).
What of that studio that made weird west, did they get an influx of ex arkane employees?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
If the world ran out of chocolate, the release of this game would still be the worst thing that happened today.

Quoted from a reviewer on Reddit. Reddit. You know if they're bagging on the game on Reddit, it's shit. No amount of virtue signaling or woke-coping is gonna save it.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Dang, their Reddit is 1/3 people mocking the game's failure, 1/3 bitter jaded old buyers fighting them off, and 1/3 clueless new buyers asking for advice and looking for games. Reading it is like watching 10 year olds play, too young to understand their own cruelty towards each other at times.

Zlaja

Arcane
Dang, their Reddit is 1/3 people mocking the game's failure, 1/3 bitter jaded old buyers fighting them off, and 1/3 clueless new buyers asking for advice and looking for games. Reading it is like watching 10 year olds play, too young to understand their own cruelty towards each other at times.

You seem to be spending a lot of time on Reddit and 4chan lately. You ok, buddy?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

You seem to be spending a lot of time on Reddit and 4chan lately. You ok, buddy?
Oh, that ship sailed 15 years ago.

toughasnails

There are no updates that can make this a good game. What are they trying to achieve by continuing to work on it? Nothing will get players to return to the game.
Might be the matter of looks and prestige. This was a major Xbox exclusive (or it was at least taken as one) from a developer that was, prior to it, a critical darling. Much like Square Enix wouldn't let FF XIV fail as it would be a really bad look for them to have a numbered FF entry and a new FF MMO be a failure, so they invested loads into redoing the game, maybe at MS they are looking at Redfall as something that oughtn't be allowed to be remembered as a failure if they can help it. I can't see them going the same lengths as SE but I can see them investing in some enhanced edition that should salvage the game's reputation. Just think on it, if it was a major update/overhaul freely available to the existing owners, it would certainly get them some positivity.
Aaand I might've been right.
https://gamingbolt.com/bethesda-wants-to-give-redfall-a-redemption-arc-rumor
The publisher is seemingly keen on giving it a “redemption arc” of sorts, according to Jez Corden of Windows Central in a recent podcast.

“I spoke to some Bethesda people, and… Well, I say I spoke to, but I eavesdropped a Bethesda conversation at the not-E3 events in LA this year, and they were talking about sticking with the game. Yeah, they were talking about sticking with the game for years. They want to give it a ‘redemption arc‘ and stuff like that.”

Sarathiour

Cipher
Redemption arc rarely happen, but when they do, it's on the condition of being some kind of potential or idea behind the project, that just got confronted to the grim reality of deadline and having to pay the bill.

I fail to see any kind of potential in "queer vampire hunting shooter".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom