Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Reinhardt

Arcane
almost killed big t-rex thingy in the forest
akshyully not. not even close. nigga didn't even started breathing fire before he left out of boredom first time.
killed him anyway now. ~30 minutes of chasing him/running from him. got enough mats to make shoes. appropriate for reptile.
noped out of rathalos fight. fuck him. too early.

Machocruz

Arcane
Hot damn you got me wanting to get back into this. I loved all the rathian fights, personally. And Anjanath is fun to me, but it is annoying that he retreats to the top of the map practically. Fight him in the arena, no place to run, no place to hide.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Hot damn you got me wanting to get back into this. I loved all the rathian fights, personally. And Anjanath is fun to me, but it is annoying that he retreats to the top of the map practically. Fight him in the arena, no place to run, no place to hide.
Honestly it's pretty awesome how varied and fun all the monsters are to fight in this game, or even the series in general. Even very similar monsters like Rathina/Rathalos or colour swaps of the same monster tend to have some interesting moves unique to them. It's mind boggling people hold up other action games as having good boss fights when monster hunter is around, setting the bar way over everything else.

Except Plesioth. Fuck the 4D space fish, it can go straight to hell where it belongs.

Machocruz

Arcane
Honestly it's pretty awesome how varied and fun all the monsters are to fight in this game, or even the series in general. Even very similar monsters like Rathina/Rathalos or colour swaps of the same monster tend to have some interesting moves unique to them. It's mind boggling people hold up other action games as having good boss fights when monster hunter is around, setting the bar way over everything else.

Except Plesioth. Fuck the 4D space fish, it can go straight to hell where it belongs.
I consider Capcom the monster masters, whether it's MH, DD, RE, or DMC. Animation, personality, expressiveness, design, etc. They are the top of the heap. As far as World, even a low level monster like Barroth is fun as hell. In fact he's still one of my favorites. I was hooked on the game after I beat him.

Reinhardt

Arcane
failed two capture missions in a row. looks like my mouse wheel broke just now and just scrolling back and forth randomly when i'm trying to select items until it's too late. i have spare(i always have spare mouse and gamepad now. learned hard way) but too lazy to replace.

Perkel

Arcane

I think mainly this is due to boss centric design. They effectively cut down mobs so they can work all the time on monsters.
Shadow of Collusus went into same direction.

I wonder how would From Software in same boss centric mindset would look like.

Damned Registrations

I think mainly this is due to boss centric design. They effectively cut down mobs so they can work all the time on monsters.
Shadow of Collusus went into same direction.
I think it's more about how they've carried forward designs and concepts in the series for so long and iterated on them with a gameplay focus. MHW may not emphasize the lesser monsters since you can just run past them and they're generally not worth hunting, but they're still there and quite detailed in appearance and animatons and so forth- which is a lot of extra work since they're not just a bunch of humans in different suits. Souls games have more for sure, but the ratio doesn't seem that far off.

I feel like even if From did try their hand at this sort of game, they'd still end up with a relatively unsatisfying set of monsters that mostly behaved as sponges; without things like the specific locational damage, stamina/rage mechanics, or environmental interactions. From seems obsessed with spectacle in their boss fights- they have these very dramatic, lengthy and massive attacks that just kind of carpet an area, when it has little effect on gameplay because you're hugging something's nuts or abusing iframes the whole time anyways, and they even go out of their way to make these attacks impossible to interrupt, even though that would make for much better gameplay if you could actively plan to stun an enemy out of a dangerous attack the way you can in MH. Even when they do have some locational damage stuff (tail cuts) that too seems geared towards the spectacle of seeing this thing flinch in pain for once.

I think a FS boss oriented game would also have a lot more gimmick fights; they seem very fond of things like Bed of Chaos, the Stormruler type fights, summoners, and stuff like that. Honestly if they leaned into that side of things and actually made them good, I could see it being really interesting in it's own unique way. I'm generally not a fan of gimmick fights because they tend to be very lazy "Hit the boss this particular way after this particular attack 3 times" setups, but I'm not against them in principle; I think Stranger of Paradise did a lot of them quite well, with bosses having interesting weaknesses and ways to counter them that felt organic, and different aspects of those gimmicks being more or less exploitable by different types of weapons or classes. I really ought to go back to that game, I was having a lot of fun there.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
failed two capture missions in a row. looks like my mouse wheel broke just now and just scrolling back and forth randomly when i'm trying to select items until it's too late. i have spare(i always have spare mouse and gamepad now. learned hard way) but too lazy to replace.
Might as well not play if you're not going to use a gamepad...

Reinhardt

Arcane
Might as well not play if you're not going to use a gamepad...
it's complicated. i prefer hook with kb+m and combat overall with gamepad. same shit was in nioh and dd - melee with gamepad, ranged - dropping gamepad and use mouse.

Reinhardt

Arcane
legiana drops them too and easier to kill, so finished rathalos set. also finally some decent looking armors to craft. i like girros and odoragon.

Reinhardt

Arcane
it would be a waste - rathalos was almost dead when fleeing to the nest and calling for backup so i managed to kill it while running around like headless chicken and then fight rathian 1x1. now there is another mission - power couple, where i probably will have to fight them both...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It'll just leave the battle area and you can hunt it afterwards you kill the first one.
quality shit
is really an effective tool.

Reinhardt

Arcane
until this point all big monsters fought each other when meeting. it was first time they worked as a team against me.

Damned Registrations

Yeah shit slinging is really important for this type of mission. Usually the other monster only moves into the adjacent zone, so it's not like they're going to be hard to catch up to if you finish it's mate quickly. Shit can be good for getting monsters into/out of particular zones as well, though I never use it that way because I'm an item hoarder and didn't learn which zones monsters tend to flee towards.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The biggest problem with the game is grinding the stronger enemies doesn't always reward you with the best gear, atleast in the base game. I mentioned Teostra & Lunastra before. They are infinitely more difficult than the "final boss" but their gear is somehow shittier. I never had to bother with the grind because I knew which creatures gave the best shit and that's something the developers need to take a step back and look at. You should always get the best gear from the more difficult monsters. Instead you can get great gear from pussy monsters. That's a flaw I want addressed.

Alphard

Magister
Ah World/ iceborne is one of the best games i ever played. i had a lot of fun with kinsect glaive and charge blade, never seen another game with so complex and rewarding movesets. charge blade in particular is a LOT fun with both savage axe and good old SAED playstyle, and if you manage to master guard points even more.
regarding monsters, i managed to solo every quest monster up til Alatreon . after 30 or so tries i gave up and beat it with party. never attempted Fatty but at that point was too burned out to continue

Alphard

Magister
The biggest problem with the game is grinding the stronger enemies doesn't always reward you with the best gear, atleast in the base game. I mentioned Teostra & Lunastra before. They are infinitely more difficult than the "final boss" but their gear is somehow shittier. I never had to bother with the grind because I knew which creatures gave the best shit and that's something the developers need to take a step back and look at. You should always get the best gear from the more difficult monsters. Instead you can get great gear from pussy monsters. That's a flaw I want addressed.
what gear is best mostly depend on you weapon and build.
i think the real issue is deco grinding for end game and some weapon such bow

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
My biggest regrat is never being able to beat Behemoth. I had that fucker dead to rights and the game bugged out and his 1 hit KO attack blasted through the rock that's meant to protect you. If I ever go back it will be because of that asshole.

Jinn

Arcane
Behemoth is one of the stupidest monster fights ever, just because you have to do the dragoon emote at the perfect moment to avoid that AOE attack he does. Fucking stupid bullshit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom